Start by marking “In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories” as Want to Read:
In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories

In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  1,593 ratings  ·  173 reviews
Creak...
Crash...
BOO!

Shivering skeletons, ghostly pirates, chattering corpses, and haunted graveyards...all to chill your bones! Share these seven spine-tingling stories in a dark, dark room.
Published October 2nd 1985 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories

The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainRoom on the Broom by Julia DonaldsonScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
Best Halloween Picture Books
7th out of 231 books — 301 voters
Transformation by Rab FultonSundiata by D.T. NianeAllister Cromley's Fairweather Belle by Shane PortmanThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael ChabonA Treasury of Mermaids by Shirley Climo
We are Folklore/ Somos Folklore
9th out of 11 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Caroline
i liked the story of the girl whose head falls off so much that i got a baby doll when i was 3, named her Jenny, and tied a green ribbon around her neck, and then i'd untie it and i'd make her head fall off. when my parents figured out what it was supposed to be, they knew i would be weird forever.
Susan
Oh, the memories! I remember my first grade teacher reading this book to me. VERY VERY scary. There were some scary stories which I somehow forgotten over my childhood/teenhood, but the one story I ALWAYS remembered and would randomly replay in my head is the story of THE GREEN RIBBON.

THE GREEN RIBBON............so it's about this girl named Jenny who always wore a green scarf/ribbon around her neck. Jenny marries a boy and the boy always asks Jenny why she has the scarf on. Jenny simply just sa
Jen
This book is hands down one of my favorite children's books. My kindergarten teacher read this to us Halloween (1989) and I fell in love with it. The story of the little girl named Jenny with the ribbon around her neck really stuck with me. In middle school and high school I started asking people if they ever read a book with that story in it, or heard of it. No one did. As an adult I was determined to find it but I didn't remember what it looked like. Every Halloween season I would look in book ...more
Nicole
From the author of middle school favorite and frequently challenged Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, Alvin Schwartz’ In A Dark, Dark Room is a collection of seven stories written with a younger elementary school audience in mind. The Foreword sets the stage in describing why scary stories are liked and sets up the premise for the book “when there is no real danger, feeling scared is fun.” And it is fun.

The Zimmer’s illustrations incorporate the important spooky elements of the stories to demon
Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac,
David
In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories by Alvin Schwartz, illustrated by Dirk Zimmer is a classic easy reader & short Halloween compilation. Schwartz brings scary stories plus a song & poem to level one readers in an effective mix sure to please. Dirk Zimmer's appropriately creepy illustrations have enough humor to entertain the younger audience for these stories. The introduction & info on where the stories originated are helpful and set the tone well. The Green Ribbon, The Te ...more
James
Obviously for young kids. I remember reading this back in the '80s, and picking it up and taking the few minutes to read all of the stories and take in the artwork was a lot of fun. Just spooky enough for toddlers and elementary school kids before they dare enter the creepy world of the original "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" books, and just fun enough for adults looking for a quick shot of nostalgia during the Halloween season!
Amanda Pedersen
Normally I don't add all the children's books I read, but this was something I read a million times when I was a child. Revisiting it was glorious and I can't wait till my children are old enough to read it themselves.
Andy
This book gave me the willies way back in first grade. It could very well be the first actual horror book I read. In fact, when my family moved to a new home and school district, this book got packed up with my belongings and I never returned it to the library. That would be some crazy overdue fee! I wish that I still had the book... Check out the video link for a narration of my favorite story in the book!

The Teeth

...and a few more, too...

The Green Ribbon
Tracy
This is one of my favorite children's books. I used to love to read it around Halloween-time especially. My favorite story was the one about Jenny, the girl who wore the green ribbon around her neck. The story about the men with the exceedingly long teeth still creeps me out (long teeth and long fingernails are just super-creepy to me). I just re-read this a few years back and of course, it was not at all scary now, but still pretty classically cute.
Lindsay
While reading a totally unrelated book, I came across a description of the Bloody Mary game (I'm sure we all remember cowering in front of a mirror, daring each other to chant those words). I was instantly thrown back in time, and this book came to the forefront of my memory. How could I have ever forgotten the girl in The Green Ribbon?! A must read! (Although, thinking back, I probably shouldn't have read this as young as I did)
Bilgewater
Oct 06, 2007 Bilgewater rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This is one of my favorite books of all time and one of the first books I ever read. The illustrations are spectacular and very creepy, and the stories are wonderfully told twists on classics. Perfect for kids and new readers, as well as anyone who wants a gentle but spooky read.
Angelica
This book has some freaky stories in here, my favorite story in here is called "The Green Ribbon" because the little girl has wore the ribbon all of her life and no one knows that if you take off the ribbon her head falls off.
Maria
ღjamesღchettaღ
Aug 24, 2009 ღjamesღchettaღ rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone age 10 and up.
Some reviews found on the back of this book,which I agree with:

" Guaranteed to make your teeth chatter and your spine tingle." - School of Library Journal
Bookslut
This is so short I probably wouldn't have put it on our bookshelf if it hadn't been a bookclub book. But since the bitter librarian planned a craft and all...
Randy
I am old 41 3/4 years old. I though this book was boring for my age. The only good story in the book was the women that wore the green ribbon.
Christina Super
I thought this was super funny when I was younger, and the morbid humor is great for a kid's Halloween reading. Some adults will be like "How is a head falling off funny?" and to those adults I say "It's quite similar to poop jokes: logically stupid, but overtly funny. Now stop stomping on your child's childhood."
I was read this out loud when I was in Kindergarten in a public school in Minnesota- the Passive Aggressive state. So, I'm pretty sure that if it was allowed here, it can fly anywhere.
Josiah
Alvin Schwartz has long been for young readers one of the best tellers of stories that are truly scary, and in this book he has tailored that ability to frighten for an even younger audience: the emerging chapter-book reader.

One of the best things about Alvin Schwartz's scary stories is that the best ones really do raise goosebumps on one's skin, making chills run up and down one's spine and raising a little bit of paranoid fear about what could be lurking around the next corner of one's own h
*Queen Diva*
I remember reading and loving this book as a kid! The story I remember most is The Green Ribbon.

As an adult, I really appreciate this book for what it is. It reminds me of days where people weren't so uptight about the content in children's literature. Some of the illustrations in this book might be a little scary to some kids, even the stories too, but that is what I like about it. There is so much censoring that goes on today in things geared towards children that it almost makes me insane. Ch
Dolly
Aug 21, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Our girls have been reading Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz this summer and they love the tales. When we saw this kit at our local library, with a paperback book and CD, I just knew it would be a hit.

We listened to the stories on our way home and the spooky music and eerie narrative was creepy to listen to. I read the book once I got home and noticed that the illustrations weren't too creepy and that there are cute cats and dogs in
Wednesday
When I was about seven, I went to an after-school program where we could play or read books. One day, I took this book off the shelf. I don't know if I read any story other than The Green Ribbon. That one is the one I remember. That one is the one that traumatized me. You may think I'm kidding, but I was so disturbed by the story I remember leaving the little library area to go and stand by the front door, just hoping my mother would arrive to pick me up, pacing anxiously. I couldn't sleep for d ...more
DistrictFourGal
I just remembered this book, some friends and I were talking about the story of a girl with a ribbon around her neck and then she took it off and her head fell off...and then we were trying to remember where the heck we'd read it in the first place.
Then we remembered this book.
It actually terrified me like crazy, because I still remember it. I remember being traumatized at the one called carrot cake, I think its in this book, and my mom yelled at the teacher who read it to me. Ahhhh good times ;
Natalie Pietro
Being that it is Halloween I remembered this classic kid book. It's to funny to think of it all these years later. The book is filled with short stories. To short to be scary but at a young age it sure did scare me. It's funny....I was baby sitting some kids down the block and they wanted me to read a book. So I picked this book. I read the tale about a girl who wears a ribbon around her neck but would not ever take it off. She would not tell anyone why she wore it all the time until she was on ...more
Tammy Ferebee
This was one of my favorites as a child. I actually just purchased it again a few years ago. Of course, it's not scary now, but I love that there's more than one story. I love to pull this out around Halloween and read it to my daughter. Like me, she loves the green ribbon story.
Gerran Walker
No one does terrifying children's books quite like Alvin Schwartz. This book freaked me out as a child, and I find it pretty weird even as an adult.

Great book for Halloween, or simply as a tool to threaten small children with if they behave badly.
Courtney
I really enjoyed this book as a child and plan on having it in my future classroom library. Its a good beginning chapter book, with 5 very short chapters. It's best for students who are trying to work their way up to reading chapter books and also students who are into darker genres.
Moe_127
I haven't read this book in years, but the reason I give it five stars is because it is one book that totally stands out to me from my childhood. I definitely remember reading "The Green Ribbon" story as my favorite in the book. Basically,it was about a girl who always wore a green ribbon tied around her neck. As she grew older and fell in love with a boy that she later married, she always kept it a secret as to why she wore it. He always asked, but she would never tell. Finally, when she was ol ...more
June
Oct 07, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: scary story requests
Shelves: easy-reader, scary
This has been so popular in my system. My costume for Halloween consists of a green ribbon around my neck and I have told the story for our Halloween parties.
Evelyn Looi
I only read The Girl With The Ribbon Around Her Neck so far when I was a young child.

The Wolf Among Us then reminded me of that story.
  • The Tailypo: A Ghost Story
  • Saving Sweetness
  • Creepy Carrots!
  • Los Gatos Black on Halloween
  • The Golly Sisters Go West
Alvin Schwartz was the author of more than fifty books dedicated to and dealing with topics such as folklore and word play, many of which were intended for young readers. He is often confused with another Alvin Schwartz, who wrote Superman and Batman daily comics strips and a novel titled The Blowtop.
More about Alvin Schwartz...
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories #1) Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark The Scary Stories Treasury Ghosts!: Ghostly Tales from Folklore