Start by marking “The Backyard Beekeeper: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden” as Want to Read:

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  46 reviews
This book isn't just a guide to beekeeping or a honey cookbook; it's both. No other book on the market provides an in-depth review of beekeeping and what honey is good for and how to use it.

Beautifully illustrated, the Backyard Beekeeper is perfect for the health-conscious person who wants to sweeten up their life by saying no to processed sugars and yes to eating organic

Published February 1st 2010 by Quarry Books (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Backyard Beekeeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Backyard Beekeeper

jess
I can't wait to get a few hives in my backyard! It's going to be a while, though. In the meantime, I occasionally read some books on beekeeping to stay informed and excited. This book touches on a lot of subjects, but is not too in-depth about any one subject. It is definitely a good primer, but not a definitive book. A large portion of the book is dedicated to recipes and uses for honey and wax. It's like a totally separate book. But it's true, many beekeepers have a difficult time using and st ...more
Arminzerella
This really is quite the comprehensive guide to beekeeping – especially for the small-scale/hobbyist beekeeper. Kim Flottum is an experienced guide, too, being the editor of Bee Culture magazine and the 41st edition of The ABC & XYZ of Bee Culture. In fact, this is so informative that it can be overwhelming to try and take it all in/process it in one sitting! I read it from cover to cover, but other bee enthusiasts might be well-served by skipping to chapters of interest. I borrowed this fro ...more
Bob Redmond
This is an excellent book for beginning beekeepers, specifically backyarders, like the title says.

Written by one of the most knowledgeable bee-men (or women) around, it has tons of color photos and other detailed information. In his inimitable laconic style, Flottum--also the editor of Bee Culture magazine--covers all the bases, from getting a hive, to getting bees, installing them, managing for pests, extracting honey. It's all there, even some recipies.

My quibbles are most of all, that Flottum
Nettie
Oct 15, 2009 Nettie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning beekeepers!
Recommended to Nettie by: The SF Beekeepers association
I really want to put a bee hive in my backyard and Kim's book is full of no nonsense information about the keeping of bees. I love the section on bee biology, which I never fully understood before. What a machine a bee hive is -- like an efficient Japanese Toyota plant. She is free with her opinions too which is refreshing. Unfortunately, I recently learned that my next door neighbor REALLY dislikes bees, so I think I'll have to wait until I buy that ranch...If I were going to keep bees, I would ...more
Leonardo Etcheto
Wow, what an interesting read as far as bees in general, their habits, and how to keep them healthy, happy and productive. Does a good job of breaking down the steps required to start a hive. I am now on step one - getting buy in from family and neighbors and finding out the county regulations. Mr. Flottum emphasizes the great American tradition of getting the right gear to make your life easy! Use the industrial power and get your hive ready to go so you can focus on the beekeeping and not the ...more
January
Nov 01, 2014 January rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New Langstroth beekeepers who want to keep bees conventionally
Recommended to January by: Amazon
Shelves: our-library, skills
In the space of starting and finishing this book, I installed my first bee hive—a top bar hive. This book is in my library along with Top-Bar Beekeeping: Organic Practices for Honeybee Health for beekeeping, which it amazingly overlaps very little with and disagrees with on many points.

Things I really liked about this book:

- The pictures were numerous, large, and full color. Since I am a new beekeeper with no human guidance, this gave me confidence to be able to correctly identify queen cups, va
Lisa Houlihan
Every other beekeeping book I have read suggests having two deep (9"), ten-frame hive bodies (the bees' permanent home) and adding supers above those for honey (theirs and possibly some for you). Flottum suggests having three medium (6"), eight-frame bodies, not because of any advantage to the bees but because deeps are too heavy. I might as well install a scooter path from backdoor to hives so I don't have to walk all that distance either. That and a stairlift down the back steps.

He did suggest
Tom Franklin
This is a very strange book in that it was written by a well-known expert in the field of beekeeping but is presented in such a disorganized fashion as to leave me confused.

If I had not been reading other books on beekeeping I would not have had the background to make sense of the almost random order to the presentation of the information. As an introductory book on the subject, it should have been much more logically laid out.

The information itself is very good; the color photographs provide a
Melissa
Considering I want to bee keep later in life I decided to pick up this book as a bit of introduction. I thought it was really reader friendly and gave me a lot of useful information about both the bees and the beekeeper. Will definitely have to find this book again when I really start getting into it.
Ellen Bell
This was a really informative primer on beekeeping, especially for someone who wants to start on a small scale in an urban or suburban setting. After reading it, I definitely know a lot more about the topic; however, I'm not sure I feel 100% ready to order supplies and bees. I think additional reading and/or a class would be helpful, too.

My only criticism of the book is that the author very clearly states in the beginning that his methods and recommendations are based on a beekeeping experience
Marianne
Beekeeping is a lot more involved than I ever thought it was. Although I could quibble about the "absolute beginner's guide" subtitle I won't. To be honest, the book does guide the beginner very capably through the steps one must take to start up a bee colony. There is nothing "beginner" about beekeeping, though. I wouldn't suggest that just anyone with only a casual interest pick up this hobby since the lives of many bees depend on doing it right. This book will make that clear!

Having said all
Visha Burkart
Good primer on beekeeping, written for those who are not only new to keeping bees, but who wish to do it as a hobby. Flottum, editor of the great BEE CULTURE magazine, encourages the use of 8-frame supers rather than the usual 10-frame, which makes things easier for the older beekeepers who may have trouble lifting heavy supers full of honey.

Would have liked more information on natural methods of beekeeping (organic rather than chemical treatments for mites, etc.). Well-organized, gorgeous phot
Megan Mudge
As someone who is just beginning to consider beekeeping, I found this book to be the perfect introduction into "backyard beekeeping". It was highly informative, very detailed, and full of practical advice. The author does not assume the reader knows anything about bees or beekeeping - which is great, because I was mostly ignorant before I began reading. She describes every tool needed for installing and maintaing your hive(s), the differences between bee breeds, the various hive scenarios that c ...more
Valerie Anderson
Very good introduction to beekeeping! Worded nicely, comforting yet realistic. Flottum is reasonable and funny.
Trish
As a new beekeeper this has been an incredibly helpful reference with good supporting photos.
Jen3n
Chris won't let me have an apiary at home...... so I just have to read about beekeeping and content myself with that.

Well written, for what it is. Apart from the actual beekeeping (hive repair, harvesting, et cetera) there are some interesting ideas as to what one should do with the honey and wax. So there's that.

Not that it matters. I'm not allowed.

For the record, I'm also not allowed to keep goats or pigs or a rooster. Or a miniature pony. Or a regular pony. So, I suppose, not having bees is
Joe Holman
Perfect book for a new beekeeper. It taught me a lot.
Felt the organization of the book was a bit odd - that if this had been my only beekeeping book I'd still be a bit out of sorts with beekeeping. There are many gorgeous photos in the book, but some were not well explained - why this photo or that photo? I wondered.

I'm not wild about a system that encourages killing the queen bee each year, or medicating with no cause. Just don't think that Kim Flottum is the kind of beekeeper that I aim to be.

The ways to use beeswax and honey in the back had a
Ami
I felt this was a very detailed book and perhaps put too much information into a volume marked for 'beginners.' No doubt, this would be helpful to someone who needed a bit more information than a complete novice.
Overall, I felt Ashley English's beekeeping book was a more simplistic and understandable read.
Joe
For someone just getting into beekeeping, this is a good one to read. Although it gets a little honey focused (which is beyond what I am ready for) it has great pictures and good information. I am going through it again just to remind myself what things should look like when I open the hive.
John Bignell
This book seem to have more pictures then text and is a great book to get from your library. But once you read it I don't think you will go back to it. Great pictures with great info, I enjoyed reading it.
Mrs. Musrum's Mum Keleher
The best book for the beginning beekeeper I've read so far. Very detailed information on the bees themselves, and aimed at the person who's starting with one hive in their yard.
Jaina Bee
Oct 20, 2009 Jaina Bee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jaina Bee by: Cameo Wood
Of the many beekeeping books I've perused, this is one of the most useful to me. It's attractively designed and easy to follow, for a complete beginner like me.
Jtz
Apr 06, 2011 Jtz is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beekeeping
this book is a very good help to new beekeepers. it includes some very interesting facts on the bees' character and includes some recipes at the end!
Matthew. Brandabur
browsing permanently - trying to figure out if I can get away with activity described therein in current rental house with wretchedly bitchy landlords.
Julie
Still not the exact information we're looking for, but a good start to knowing how to attempt small scale beekeeping. Great information!
Camille
I don't know if I will ever keep bees, but it sure was interesting to read about them. I'll never look at honey the same way again!
Anne
Bees are in residence! Really good prep book. I'm looking forward to making some of the recipes and beeswax-related products.
Emma
Very informative whilst remaining interesting. Slightly bossy. If and when I keep bees I will be buying this book.
Lynn
This was a really interesting introduction about a subject of which I knew nearly nothing. Now I want to know more.
  • The Beekeeper's Handbook, Third Edition
  • A Book of Bees: And How to Keep Them
  • Keeping Chickens with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Care for a Happy, Healthy Flock
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey--The Sweet Liquid Gold that Seduced the World
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting
  • Self-Sufficiency for the 21st Century
  • Living with Chickens: Everything You Need to Know to Raise Your Own Backyard Flock
  • Backyard Homesteading: A Back-to-Basics Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • Toolbox for Sustainable City Living: A Do-It-Ourselves Guide
  • Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills
  • Chick Days: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens from Hatching to Laying
  • Holy Shit: Managing Manure To Save Mankind
  • The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It: The Complete Back-To-Basics Guide
  • Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • Lasagna Gardening: A New System for Great Gardens: No Digging, No Tilling, No Weeding, No Kidding!
The Backyard Beekeeper's Honey Handbook: A Guide to Creating, Harvesting, and Cooking with Natural Honeys Better Beekeeping: The Ultimate Guide to Keeping Stronger Colonies and Healthier, More Productive Bees Backyard Beekeeper - Revised and Updated, 3rd Edition: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden - New material includes: - The latest techniques in the battle against invasive mites - The 25 rules of modern beekeeping - All ... The Backyard Beekeeper - Revised and Updated, 3rd Edition: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden The Complete and Easy Guide to Beekeeping: A Fascinating Reference with Recipes for Enjoying Your Produce. Kim Flottum