Start by marking “The Backyard Beekeeper: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  378 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
This book isn't just a guide to beekeeping or a honey cookbook; it's both. No other book on the market provides an in-depth review of beekeeping and what honey is good for and how to use it.

Beautifully illustrated, the Backyard Beekeeper is perfect for the health-conscious person who wants to sweeten up their life by saying no to processed sugars and yes to eating organic

Published February 1st 2010 by Quarry Books (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Backyard Beekeeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Backyard Beekeeper

jess
Feb 22, 2009 jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, bees
I can't wait to get a few hives in my backyard! It's going to be a while, though. In the meantime, I occasionally read some books on beekeeping to stay informed and excited. This book touches on a lot of subjects, but is not too in-depth about any one subject. It is definitely a good primer, but not a definitive book. A large portion of the book is dedicated to recipes and uses for honey and wax. It's like a totally separate book. But it's true, many beekeepers have a difficult time using and st ...more
Arminzerella
This really is quite the comprehensive guide to beekeeping – especially for the small-scale/hobbyist beekeeper. Kim Flottum is an experienced guide, too, being the editor of Bee Culture magazine and the 41st edition of The ABC & XYZ of Bee Culture. In fact, this is so informative that it can be overwhelming to try and take it all in/process it in one sitting! I read it from cover to cover, but other bee enthusiasts might be well-served by skipping to chapters of interest. I borrowed this fro ...more
Bob Redmond
Mar 27, 2011 Bob Redmond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bees
This is an excellent book for beginning beekeepers, specifically backyarders, like the title says.

Written by one of the most knowledgeable bee-men (or women) around, it has tons of color photos and other detailed information. In his inimitable laconic style, Flottum--also the editor of Bee Culture magazine--covers all the bases, from getting a hive, to getting bees, installing them, managing for pests, extracting honey. It's all there, even some recipies.

My quibbles are most of all, that Flottum
Jessi
Apr 05, 2016 Jessi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the ultimate bee book! If you want to start a colony this is where you need to start. So well organized, clear, and with beautiful photos. I have learned so much from this book, it's one I will buy to reference over and over in the future.
Nettie
Oct 15, 2009 Nettie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning beekeepers!
Recommended to Nettie by: The SF Beekeepers association
I really want to put a bee hive in my backyard and Kim's book is full of no nonsense information about the keeping of bees. I love the section on bee biology, which I never fully understood before. What a machine a bee hive is -- like an efficient Japanese Toyota plant. She is free with her opinions too which is refreshing. Unfortunately, I recently learned that my next door neighbor REALLY dislikes bees, so I think I'll have to wait until I buy that ranch...If I were going to keep bees, I would ...more
Leonardo Etcheto
Apr 19, 2014 Leonardo Etcheto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what an interesting read as far as bees in general, their habits, and how to keep them healthy, happy and productive. Does a good job of breaking down the steps required to start a hive. I am now on step one - getting buy in from family and neighbors and finding out the county regulations. Mr. Flottum emphasizes the great American tradition of getting the right gear to make your life easy! Use the industrial power and get your hive ready to go so you can focus on the beekeeping and not the ...more
Pat
May 01, 2015 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good guide to a beginner, lots of illustrations, equipment needed, how and when to use it, what to look for during inspections of the hive.

My husband is starting a first hive with the help of a friend. I have a healthy respect for bees and a great interest in Not Getting Stung. So I bought this for me, and now I feel more comfortable of what not to do and what one can do, and he is also using it for a great reference.
When one of his trays had some malformed comb, he immediately found the probl
January
Nov 01, 2014 January rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New Langstroth beekeepers who want to keep bees conventionally
Recommended to January by: Amazon
Shelves: own-hardcopy, skills
In the space of starting and finishing this book, I installed my first bee hive—a top bar hive. This book is in my library along with Top-Bar Beekeeping: Organic Practices for Honeybee Health for beekeeping, which it amazingly overlaps very little with and disagrees with on many points.

Things I really liked about this book:

- The pictures were numerous, large, and full color. Since I am a new beekeeper with no human guidance, this gave me confidence to be able to correctly identify queen cups, va
Lisa Houlihan
Every other beekeeping book I have read suggests having two deep (9"), ten-frame hive bodies (the bees' permanent home) and adding supers above those for honey (theirs and possibly some for you). Flottum suggests having three medium (6"), eight-frame bodies, not because of any advantage to the bees but because deeps are too heavy. I might as well install a scooter path from backdoor to hives so I don't have to walk all that distance either. That and a stairlift down the back steps.

He did suggest
Tom Franklin
This is a very strange book in that it was written by a well-known expert in the field of beekeeping but is presented in such a disorganized fashion as to leave me confused.

If I had not been reading other books on beekeeping I would not have had the background to make sense of the almost random order to the presentation of the information. As an introductory book on the subject, it should have been much more logically laid out.

The information itself is very good; the color photographs provide a
Melissa
Apr 10, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Considering I want to bee keep later in life I decided to pick up this book as a bit of introduction. I thought it was really reader friendly and gave me a lot of useful information about both the bees and the beekeeper. Will definitely have to find this book again when I really start getting into it.
Ellen Bell
Dec 09, 2013 Ellen Bell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beekeeping
This was a really informative primer on beekeeping, especially for someone who wants to start on a small scale in an urban or suburban setting. After reading it, I definitely know a lot more about the topic; however, I'm not sure I feel 100% ready to order supplies and bees. I think additional reading and/or a class would be helpful, too.

My only criticism of the book is that the author very clearly states in the beginning that his methods and recommendations are based on a beekeeping experience
Marianne
Beekeeping is a lot more involved than I ever thought it was. Although I could quibble about the "absolute beginner's guide" subtitle I won't. To be honest, the book does guide the beginner very capably through the steps one must take to start up a bee colony. There is nothing "beginner" about beekeeping, though. I wouldn't suggest that just anyone with only a casual interest pick up this hobby since the lives of many bees depend on doing it right. This book will make that clear!

Having said all
Visha
Jan 29, 2009 Visha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good primer on beekeeping, written for those who are not only new to keeping bees, but who wish to do it as a hobby. Flottum, editor of the great BEE CULTURE magazine, encourages the use of 8-frame supers rather than the usual 10-frame, which makes things easier for the older beekeepers who may have trouble lifting heavy supers full of honey.

Would have liked more information on natural methods of beekeeping (organic rather than chemical treatments for mites, etc.). Well-organized, gorgeous phot
Megan Mudge
Aug 09, 2013 Megan Mudge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
As someone who is just beginning to consider beekeeping, I found this book to be the perfect introduction into "backyard beekeeping". It was highly informative, very detailed, and full of practical advice. The author does not assume the reader knows anything about bees or beekeeping - which is great, because I was mostly ignorant before I began reading. She describes every tool needed for installing and maintaing your hive(s), the differences between bee breeds, the various hive scenarios that c ...more
David R.
A fairly intimidating introduction to "beginning" beekeeping! I would definitely not call this the first book for an absolute beginner.
Shelly
Mar 11, 2015 Shelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of good information for starting out that tells a person how to care for a hive in a manner that is clear and sounds possible!
Trish
As a new beekeeper this has been an incredibly helpful reference with good supporting photos.
Jen3n
Jan 23, 2009 Jen3n rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Chris won't let me have an apiary at home...... so I just have to read about beekeeping and content myself with that.

Well written, for what it is. Apart from the actual beekeeping (hive repair, harvesting, et cetera) there are some interesting ideas as to what one should do with the honey and wax. So there's that.

Not that it matters. I'm not allowed.

For the record, I'm also not allowed to keep goats or pigs or a rooster. Or a miniature pony. Or a regular pony. So, I suppose, not having bees is
Joe Holman
Jun 14, 2014 Joe Holman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect book for a new beekeeper. It taught me a lot.
Apr 16, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, bees
Felt the organization of the book was a bit odd - that if this had been my only beekeeping book I'd still be a bit out of sorts with beekeeping. There are many gorgeous photos in the book, but some were not well explained - why this photo or that photo? I wondered.

I'm not wild about a system that encourages killing the queen bee each year, or medicating with no cause. Just don't think that Kim Flottum is the kind of beekeeper that I aim to be.

The ways to use beeswax and honey in the back had a
Ami
Jun 09, 2011 Ami rated it liked it
I felt this was a very detailed book and perhaps put too much information into a volume marked for 'beginners.' No doubt, this would be helpful to someone who needed a bit more information than a complete novice.
Overall, I felt Ashley English's beekeeping book was a more simplistic and understandable read.
Joe
Jun 24, 2011 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For someone just getting into beekeeping, this is a good one to read. Although it gets a little honey focused (which is beyond what I am ready for) it has great pictures and good information. I am going through it again just to remind myself what things should look like when I open the hive.
John Bignell
This book seem to have more pictures then text and is a great book to get from your library. But once you read it I don't think you will go back to it. Great pictures with great info, I enjoyed reading it.
Mrs. Musrum's Mum Keleher
Jul 04, 2009 Mrs. Musrum's Mum Keleher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: verity
The best book for the beginning beekeeper I've read so far. Very detailed information on the bees themselves, and aimed at the person who's starting with one hive in their yard.
Jaina Bee
Oct 20, 2009 Jaina Bee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jaina Bee by: Cameo Wood
Of the many beekeeping books I've perused, this is one of the most useful to me. It's attractively designed and easy to follow, for a complete beginner like me.
Jtz
Apr 06, 2011 Jtz is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beekeeping
this book is a very good help to new beekeepers. it includes some very interesting facts on the bees' character and includes some recipes at the end!
Matthew. Brandabur
browsing permanently - trying to figure out if I can get away with activity described therein in current rental house with wretchedly bitchy landlords.
Julie
Feb 16, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Still not the exact information we're looking for, but a good start to knowing how to attempt small scale beekeeping. Great information!
Camille
Nov 24, 2008 Camille rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, reference
I don't know if I will ever keep bees, but it sure was interesting to read about them. I'll never look at honey the same way again!
  • The Beekeeper's Handbook, Third Edition
  • A Book of Bees: And How to Keep Them
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Keeping Chickens with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Care for a Happy, Healthy Flock
  • Rodale's Ultimate Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening: The Indispensable Green Resource for Every Gardener
  • The Hive: The Story of the Honeybee and Us
  • Chick Days: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens from Hatching to Laying
  • Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century
  • Beekeeping for Dummies
  • Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey--The Sweet Liquid Gold that Seduced the World
  • The Complete Compost Gardening Guide: Banner Batches, Grow Heaps, Comforter Compost, and Other Amazing Techniques for Saving Time and Money, and Producing the Most Flavorful, Nutritious Vegetables Ever
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • Backyard Homesteading: A Back-to-Basics Guide to Self-Sufficiency