Start by marking “Infertility Survival Handbook” as Want to Read:
Infertility Survival Handbook

Infertility Survival Handbook

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  12 reviews
After seven years of tests and more tests, treatments and more treatments, Elizabeth Swire-Falker understands what it means to struggle with infertility. In this frank, reassuring, and thoroughly researched handbook, she shares her own personal experience and offers insight into what challenges to expect along the way-from getting support to finding the right doctor to dea ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Riverhead Books

To ask other readers questions about Infertility Survival Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infertility Survival Handbook

Gingeraltoids
Feb 17, 2009 Gingeraltoids rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with fertility problems, and their friends/family
Recommended to Gingeraltoids by: self
Just picked this up at Borders after a bad first month of infertility treatment -- and I tore through the first two chapters. It is looking to be a very helpful book; can't wait to read more.

Update: Finished this book and I highly recommend it. It is chock-full of helpful information and details about various fertility treatments, procedures, etc. She even provides lists of questions to ask, which I copied and took with me to my doctor's office. Most of all, she acknowledges that infertility suc
Jackie
Goes through the basics but a lil depressing and a bit to specific for certain type of infertility issues.
Erin
This is an awesome book for people that have just been diagnosed with infertility issues and just want some info. about different options and what to do next. I wish I had known this book existed when my husband and I were first diagnosed with infertility. It would have answered my numerous questions about what our options are, cost of different treatments, the definitions of unfamiliar terms, and then some success stories.

However, I am now on my third round of IVF/ICSI and found this book to no
Erin

However, I am now on my third round of IVF/ICSI and found this book to no
Jenna (JennaHack)
It's hard to rate a book based on something so heartbreaking.

The author really lays it all out for you. The only things I really disagreed with were:

1 - She constantly goes on and on about how the medications you get put on with different fertility treatments will make you bitchy. Nothing I've been on has ever given me such mood swings and I know plenty of women who felt the same way. If she'd only said it once or twice, I wouldn't have brought it up. But I swear she mentions it multiple times i
Hayley DeRoche
Some of the information is useful, yes, but parts of the book seem geared more towards a specific type of patient, and there's also a bit of an excess of exclamation points.

A few complaints: The idea that your male partner won't want to do anything for the process (sperm samples, etc) and that they'll complain, even when your stuff is so much more terrible is a bit insulting to male partners who are fully on board and willing to do anything without complaint and who feel terrible that their fem
The Longest Year
This book is certainly informative and helpful in providing an overview of the various options in dealing with infertility, but it also remained one of the books I could least relate to. The cost of many ART options are beyond my means, and though there is some info about how to save money, none that would turn IVF into something feasible for me. I do not resent that it is for someone else, and if you are looking for extensive information on all medical procedures, this is a good starting point. ...more
A.L. Sowards
Of the books I've read on this subject, this is the one I would most recommend to others (if you have an interest in infertility). The author has been through everything: multiple rounds of IUI, IVF, tests, more tests, even birth moms backing out of adoptions. Both the author and her husband had fertility issues, so she had a long road to being a mother, but it does have a happy ending.
Sarah Greene
Jun 04, 2008 Sarah Greene rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those struggling with fertility
Recommended to Sarah by: Megan Ryberg
This book was quite informative. It basically is a handbook/personal memoir of one woman's struggle with fertility. She did EVERYTHING possible to get pregnant and eventually so does give up and adopt. It has helped me as a reference guide as to what to expect in certain procedures as well as new "techniques" that I hadn't thought of yet.
Alyssa Ehrhard
It was a very good book, with a lot of information and straight up answers. She went through a lot and she was just completely honest with her experience and what to expect. Exactly what I was looking for, nothing is easy or encouraging through infertility and I would much rather hear the truth then rainbows and butterflies.
Janet
Really didn't help answer most of my questions and her debbie-downer attitude and obvious wealth was a turn off. Did help with some questions when my doctor's office did not. Wish we had bought another book to help us through.
Debbie
All I can say is, "Amen, Sister."
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Sinead Spratt
Sinead Spratt marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Eric Schloegel Jr
Eric Schloegel Jr is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Chikoomikoo
Chikoomikoo marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Essam Nagy
Essam Nagy marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Racheal Jones
Racheal Jones is currently reading it
Mar 20, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014