Start by marking “The Russian Renaissance” as Want to Read:
The Russian Renaissance

The Russian Renaissance (Sokolov Saga #1)

Winner of the Grandmaster Award from the Clive Cussler Society.

Constantine can no longer hide in Europe. As he discovers a century-old secret, he must flee back to Moscow, chased by assassins.
Only one man can save him. Eugene Sokolov: an officer in the world's most elite rescue unit, a martial arts legend… and Constantine's brother.
They face an enemy unlike any other. In
Published (first published April 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Russian Renaissance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Russian Renaissance

Lara
Apr 19, 2011 Lara rated it it was amazing
From someone who is from Italy and is a translator by profession, I found The Russian Renaissance to be both compelling and engaging from start to finish.
A true revelation from a young and talented Author, who shows great promise.
Action-packed book full of vivid characters that stay with you for a long time, a colourful description of the Russian Country that distinctly stands out from the pages of this fast paced debut novel. A real page turner that hooked me since the very first page.
You can f
Morris Graham
Dec 11, 2015 Morris Graham rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of Historical fiction novels. This book reminds me of the kind of quality I see in a Clive Cussler book. This was a real treat. Finally, a book on Russia, by a Russian! I was able to get an inside look of the country, the politics, the culture, from someone who knows what he's talking about.

Eugene Sokolov is an officer in the Russian Army who is attached to an emergency rescue organization. His brother Constantine, is on the run. An old treasure of religious artifacts smuggled out of
Kelly
Jun 19, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks, favorites
A very well written debut novel, the characters are believable and you cannot help but root for the Sokolov Brothers. Once you start it is near impossible to stop reading until the last page, and even then you are left hoping for a sequel.
Shaun Putaine
Jan 01, 2017 Shaun Putaine rated it really liked it
Fast paced and interesting

An interesting and action packed story with good character and scene development. Fast paced with a few twists and turns that keep the reader eager for more.
Alice Yeh
Oct 30, 2011 Alice Yeh rated it really liked it
A conspiracy theorist's dream, The Russian Renaissance ties together history, suspense, action, and a brief environmental interlude as three main characters are drawn together by forces beyond their control. As Constantine attempts to solve a centuries-old mystery, his brother, Eugene, tries to protect Asiyah from the demons that chase them both. Amidst heavy artillery and merciless manipulation, all three of them become involved in a revolution that may very well change the course of Russia's, ...more
Michael Gallagher
Oct 23, 2013 Michael Gallagher rated it liked it

Part Thriller; Part Historical Revisionism
The Russian Renaissance unravels a complex story with many interesting, well researched, aptly plotted, and beautifully described narrative and dialogue-based scenarios. At the start, the reader plunges headlong into a well-balanced script, in terms of the relationship between narrative and dialogue-based unveiling of the story. About 35% into the book the author digresses into a long-winded diatribe about the Cossacks and the Orthodox Church in Russia.
Bryan Murdock
This book was kind of a mess. I saw it for cheap (maybe even free?) on Book Bub and the description reminded me of the Tom Clancy books I devoured in high school. It was indeed an espionage thriller type story. The main characters are Russian or from Kazakhstan and was mostly set in those countries too. The characters were all very flat and hard to tell a part. There was a little bit of humanity shown in each of them, but just not enough. How the two brothers got to be (reluctant) super spy ninj ...more
Robert
Dec 08, 2016 Robert rated it really liked it
1I enjoy the fact that it also gives info a bout the countries past historys and landmarks past and presents

All for now will have more when I read the next segment thanks

Right now going take a rest thanks
CA
Jul 27, 2016 CA rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There was a lot of Russian history, while interesting, did start to drag a bit, probably in the way it was presented. I can't see these characters giving these long history lectures in the midst of all the action.
And there was plenty of action! What made it more interesting to me, I had recently watched a television program about the Aral Sea, one of the sites mentioned in the book. I mostly enjoyed this book, there were some interesting plot twists, but I don't think I will seek out more from t
Emily
May 15, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
This was a really quick read, a page-turner that I couldn't put down. The story is a thriller with lots of twists and turns, set in modern day Russia. The history of Russia and the Soviet Union cause ripples in the lives of brothers Constantine and Gene. The past is not over and done. In the end, though, there is hope for the future:

"Such fundamental changes require either a lot of blood or a lot of time. It may take decades, a generation, but Russia will gradually recover."

If you enjoy thrille
Kelley
Jul 14, 2016 Kelley rated it liked it
Historical, fast paced

Like the history lesson. Mystery fast paced and of course very neatly tied together at the end. I liked Gene but I'm still not sure why he was chosen for this task. But, overall enjoyable.
Linda
Aug 20, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
A Russian thriller

A lot of action and plot twists in this book . We also learn about Russian history, which can be fascinating. This story seems to be a mixture of a number of spy books I have read. Basically a man' s book.
Carole D Hutchison
Jul 10, 2016 Carole D Hutchison rated it it was amazing
Good read

Only comment was with too much technical descriptions and not everyone understands them. I'm one of those people. Skipped over those poo parts. at least it wasn't a lot.
Tim Fairchild
Nov 12, 2012 Tim Fairchild rated it it was amazing
I love a good story woven into history, and Ian Kharitonov has satisfied me very much with his thriller, "The Russian Renaissance." Add some wonderfully developed characters; intrigue, and suspense and I was in action heaven. I look forward to Ian's future works.
Jeff
Mar 28, 2011 Jeff rated it it was amazing
This is the hottest debut novel I've read in a long time. Old secrets, new technology, estranged brothers, martial arts, and one hell of an action through-line. Remember that you heard it here first... Ian Kharitonov is destined to become a force to be reckoned with.
Sandra Casile
Jul 01, 2016 Sandra Casile rated it it was amazing
Amazing read

What to believe, is it true or is it all lies. The greed of others on humanity is so hard to comprehend.
Jun 19, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
enjoyed this book. very interesting look into Russian politics. Very interesting story and loved the trip through Russia.
Judie
Jun 14, 2016 Judie rated it liked it
The Russian Renaissance is a thriller with some very interesting history. It seems to be written with a movie deal in mind. For a first effort, it's good and I'll try the second in his series.
Fizous
Sep 02, 2016 Fizous rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
there are many flaws in the story that completely ruined my mood.
the story came together too late. the espionage thriller does not have enough depth.
Stephen Fitzsimmons
Stephen Fitzsimmons rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Anuradha Prabhu
Anuradha Prabhu rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Dinesh Bhat
Dinesh Bhat rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Thomas McKinnon
Thomas McKinnon rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Dorothy R. Arwe
Dorothy R. Arwe rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Nathaniel
Nathaniel rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2016
Donna K. Kopach
Donna K. Kopach rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Anthony
Anthony rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Irene
Irene rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2013
Adnan Khan
Adnan Khan rated it did not like it
Oct 31, 2015
Lynn
Lynn rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Wounded Earth
  • Indisputable Proof
  • The Jerusalem Creed (Sean Wyatt #7)
  • Penny Dreadful Multipack Vol. 1: Wagner The Wehr-Wolf; Varney the Vampire; The Mysteries of London
  • The Last Airship (Sam Reilly Book 1)
  • Wearing the Spider
  • The Marlowe Conspiracy
  • The Eye of Shiva (The Project, #8)
  • Black Coke
  • The Golden Crystal
  • The Shut Mouth Society
  • The 19th Element (James Becker, #1)
  • America's Trust
  • Dead Ice (Dane Maddock Origins #4)
  • Overture to Disaster (Post Cold War Political Thriller Trilogy)
  • The Warren Omissions (James Flynn, #1)
  • PRIMAL Inception
  • Departed (A Leopold Blake Thriller, #3)
Extremely little is known about Ian Kharitonov. Born in Moscow during perestroika, he spent his early years in Southeast Asia. He rediscovered Russia as he earned an economics degree. After turning down diplomatic work in Sweden, he began his career as a thriller author. His debut novel, The Russian Renaissance, won the Grandmaster Award from the Clive Cussler Society, and has been translated into ...more
More about Ian Kharitonov...

Sokolov Saga (3 books)
  • The Collaborator
  • Temple of Spies (The Sokolov Saga Book 3)

“The animals had filled the tidy new freight cars with the lingering smell of their sweat and waste, parasites infesting the cracks between the hoof-dented boards, the feeling of imminent slaughter staying with the train forever. Soon” 0 likes