Start by marking “Message-MS-Numbered” as Want to Read:
Message-MS-Numbered

Message-MS-Numbered

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  4,167 ratings  ·  239 reviews
The Best Message on Earth just got better Improved Design and enhanced readability make the all-new version of The Message Numbered Edition the contemporary translation of choice. And when paired up with your favorite study Bible, The Everyday Language that The Message is known for along with these newly enhanced features deliver a reading experience that is relatable, ene ...more
Published March 10th 2011 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Message-MS-Numbered, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jenn
There is a lot of (unfortunate) debate about the validity of this translation of the Bible. Some refuse to call it any more than a paraphrase. Living in a foreign, non-Western culture (and having worked on some translation myself) helped me better understand the importance of context, the influence of culture, and the shortcomings of literal translations in writing. As I read Peterson's translation of the Bible, I am mindful that it is not a literal translation but am more than satisfied with th ...more
Alan
I admit that I didn't read this cover to cover. But I have read significant sections of this Bible and wanted to leave a review.

First, The Message Bible needs to be viewed in perspective. As Mr. Peterson notes, this is not a study Bible. It is not meant to be used to get deep down into doctrine. Instead, this is a reading Bible. Mr. Peterson's goal in his translation was to bring the same feelings to the modern reader that that were experienced by the original audiences to the Bible's message.

Th
Steve Miyamoto
Have to love a Bible translation that says stuff like:

God went for the jugular when he sent his own Son. He didn't deal with the problem as something remote and unimportant. In his Son, Jesus, he personally took on the human condition, entered the disordered mess of struggling humanity in order to set it right once and for all. (Romans 8:3a)
Tori
I did it!!!!! My goal was to read the Bible in a year, so I followed a schedule and just finished this translation of the Bible today! Whew! I had chosen The Message because it was in contemporary language. Previously, I had read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John in here, and had been impressed with the images Peterson chose. Well - I am glad I read the whole Bible now, because over all, I felt cheated. Part of this, I'm sure, is because I am so used to reading the King James version. Yes, some of th ...more
Beth
Jan 21, 2011 Beth is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I looked through this translation of the Bible a few years ago and initially disliked it. But recently I've been reading Praise Habit, by David Crowder, and he uses this version on his rumination of the psalms and I really liked the language. There's a sense of urgency and a poignancy that resonates with me now that didn't when I initially tried out this translation. So I'm reading this version in my goal to read through the Bible in one year. So far so good, however I don't think it's going to ...more
Jonathan
Absolutely fantastic. The Word of God in contemporary language without losing the true import or meaning.
Elizabeth Dyck
I like the way this Bible is set up for the most part. I would have liked to have all the verses separated from each other instead of having them in paragraphs.

More of a reading Bible instead of a study Bible, it flows from verse to verse in story like format. I kind of like that and I kind of don’t since it doesn’t give you the impression of having separate verses.

All in all though I think I will find myself using it again and again. It’s the perfect size to carry in a purse/bag or if you don’t
Leah
Eugene Peterson's "The Message" with its probing, dynamic interpretations of scripture often brings my own understanding of the possibilities and trajectories of the biblical texts to a new level. I bought this New Testament / Psalms for a friend whose first language is not English, although she speaks fluently and quite idiomatically.

This book is a delight! It's fairly thick and heavy because it's not printed on ultra-fine India paper and because (happily) they set it in an easily readable size
Legsoffury
I would only consider it appropriate for somebody well-acquainted with a respectable translation of the Bible to read this. What do I mean by respectable; well I mean a translation that has stood the test of time and that is respected by a large majority of Bible scholars and Greek/Hebrew linguists. This is NOT a translation, but an interpretation. There is a big difference. This to me is more of a supplemental curiosity rather then a Bible I could actually make reference to.

As it is, there were
Phileo Truth
This translation of the Bible renders the text unrecognizable to any word-for-word and most thought-for-thought translations. In its efforts to be conversational, the language is bastardized. It is a sad commentary on the state of the church that so many in Christendom teach from this Bible in the general assembly. This translation should have been shelved.
Robin
I love this version of the Bible. Written for his grandson, Eugene Peterson writes this paraphrase in such an easy to understand manner.
Benjamin Vineyard
The Message Reader's Edition (Book Reaction)

I enjoy reading *The Message* in longer reading sessions. The story flows more smoothly and I feel like I can grasp that arching story more securely when I can read for those longer sessions.

And that's just it -- *The Message* comes off more like you are reading a story. Or, as I sometimes imagine while I'm reading it, like you're sitting around a campfire and your grandfather is telling you something of the faith, something he memorized of Scripture,
Keri
I've been so blessed by reading through this paraphrase of the Bible. I am thrilled to have finally completed a lifelong goal of reading through the Bible. But more importantly than that, I've felt joy in reading and it has not simply become a task I "had" to do...instead something I looked forward to. As the Psalms say I "thrill to God's Word, you chew on Scripture day and night." (Ps. 1:2)

This is not the best for deep study but it is so readable and reminds us that the Bible is a story - the g
Becca Moss
Oct 29, 2014 Becca Moss is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Deuteronomy 15:10
10-11 Give freely and spontaneously. Don’t have a stingy heart. The way you handle matters like this triggers God, your God’s, blessing in everything you do, all your work and ventures. There are always going to be poor and needy people among you. So I command you: Always be generous, open purse and hands, give to your neighbors in trouble, your poor and hurting neighbors.

Hebrews 11:1
Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it give us assurance about t
The Youth at our church challenged everyone to read the entire New Testament by Lent. I am way behind on the "schedule" suggested, but working away nonetheless. I think I read the Gospels through as part of my confirmation back in high school, but otherwise I am really not sure that I have ever read the Bible through as a book (i.e., not just a smattering of verses here and there at a time). Needless to say, it gives you a different picture this way!

So far the translation is a little choppy to
Lee Harmon
I love this contemporary Bible! It’s not the most accurate translation—it’s really not fair to even call it a translation, but rather a paraphrase betraying Peterson’s religious convictions—but I just find it enjoyable to read. It’s poetic and beautiful. Do not use it as a study Bible, but as an inspiring read.

I chose the book of John to highlight some of the translations, so you can get a feel for the wording. These aren’t my favorite passages, but they do highlight what I mean by a “paraphrasi
Nancy Snyder
This paraphrase of the Bible is arranged to pair a reading from the New Testament w/a section from the Old Testament. Each section is followed by some reflective questions. At times the sections go together, at other times they don't. The chapters do no necessarily follow the sequential order of the "regular" Message by Peterson or the regular order of the books of the Bible.
I have been able to finally read the Bible through this translation, to think about what I am reading, and to relate wha
Jerry
Synopsis: Called a "Bible in contemporary language," The Message is a paraphrase that updates the antiquated, archaic language found in most translations, whether the 1611 KJV or the 2010 NIV. This audio version features narration from experienced voice actor Kelly Ryan Dolan, as well as popular contemporary Christian music artists ranging from Steve Green to Janna Long (Avalon) to TobyMac reading selected passages, it's God's Word as you likely have never heard it before!

Production Values: 3.5/
Chris Suleske
When Peterson's original Message transliteration was published, I eschewed it, taking my direction from critics who cherry-picked passages with which they took issue. By the time this version had been released, I'd mellowed in my take on such things. More than that, I'd come to appreciate Peterson's style of writing. It is easy to take passages with which we are accustomed and contrast them with the Message, producing instant dissonance. Psalm 23 is Psalm 23, in the KJV translation. Best to hear ...more
Elizabeth  Holter
December 2010: Every year I read at least one classic book, and this year decided on the oldest book continuously in print. I picked this version because it is in contemporary language,from a translator who knows Greek and Hebrew. Halfway through, now, I find myself perversely comforted by the fact that, while human nature has not changed a bit over the last few millenia, there is a gradual upward movement in the way men view the world and their gods. It's enough to keep me going.
July 18, 2011:
Sage
Okay... I don't even know how to begin a review of a Bible. By the way I was given this book for Confirmation so I only read what was necessary to write a decent blurb.
Let's start with the name. "Remix"? Really? This is a modernization of the Bible not a Britney Spears song featuring Ke$ha and Nicki Minaj.
I'm probably really biased about this because in general I feel like something is lost in modernizations or abridged versions of anything. Reading Les Mis and seeing "is it ok with u bro" inst
Adam Johns
Pastor Peterson gets it right more often than he gets it wrong, and anyone who has read his translation of the Holy Scriptures from the original language into contemporary English knows this very well.

There's a lot of controversy around this translation. Most people hold to the notion that it is a paraphrase. The thing about translations is that they are either word for word or thought for thought, and one is better for studying and one is better for reading and we need both. This is a thought
Melanie
I come from an area of the Bible Belt where many will tell you the only valid translation of the Bible is the KJV. I personally feel that it's useless for me to read something with an expectation of gaining understanding if I'm caught up on the language. I have a very difficult time stumbling through the KJV, and I know that has a negative effect on my reading comprehension. The Message is contemporary language that is very clearly written. It reads much more like a novel and I'm able to glean s ...more
Sandy
Back when I was doing Bible study on a regular basis, I really loved The Message. I would read it in conjunction with the NRSV, which is supposed to be one of the better translations. Better in the sense of closer to the original. It's not always better in terms of I want to get something out of this text. The Message was inspired in that area. It's a paraphrase more than a translation but that's OK. He got the gist in a readable fashion far better than anything else I've read.
Ronnie
I enjoyed it, but I do caution anyone who has not read a more word-for-word rendition of the Holy Bible. Do not rely on this translation as your primary source. Use this contemporary Bible for comparison after you are familiar with a version like the NIV or KJV.
Heather's Mum
Maybe not the most acurate, word for word translation, but oh so easy to just sit and read for inspiration and spirtual nurture. NOT a "study" Bible, but a "reading" text.
David Harman
It's kind of like decaf coffee or fat-free half & half. Why bother? Get a real bible and get the full flavor. I like the ESV, NASB, & NKJV.
Alyssia Cooke
Here is the second bible on the list - aren't you just thrilled to hear the outcome? If it helps - it wasn't half as bad as the last one...and so we come to 'The Message', which has a similar aim, if not style, to 'The Word on the Street'. (Background by the way, the reason for these reviews is to help my vicar find a decent youth Bible). And by the way, special thanks are owed to Jesi and Torr for their comments on the last supposed bible which made said vicar laugh!

===Boring stuff===
Title: The
John Rossitto
I read one book of the Bible multiple times through a year. I enjoy reading different translations to bring out variation. The Message does bring out broad variations to stories and does a great job in doing so. While the author does take a certain amount of creative liberty, the stories and text do come alive. When taken in such a context, this is a wonderful rendition of the Bible and captures some small part of the heart of God. Enjoy.
Jessica
Well, it took me 3 years to the day, but I got through all of The Message. (I eventually bought the Kindle version so I could take it with me on trips, and so I could compile my highlighted passages.) If you're looking to just do a straight read-through of the Bible, I highly recommend this translation. It's not ideal for in-depth study (something Peterson acknowledges upfront), but for getting a better handle on the overall "message" (if you will) of each book of the Bible, it's excellent. Havi ...more
  • Holy Bible: NLT - New Living Translation
  • The New Interpreter's Study Bible: New Revised Standard Version With the Apocrypha
  • The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible
  • Word on the Street
  • What the Bible is All About Bible Handbook
  • The New Testament in Modern English
  • Halley's Bible Handbook
  • Rick Warren's Bible Study Methods: Twelve Ways You Can Unlock God's Word
  • How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour
  • Complete Jewish Bible : An English Version of the Tanakh (Old Testament) and B'Rit Hadashah (New Testament)
Eugene H. Peterson is a pastor, scholar, author, and poet. For many years he was James M. Houston Professor of Spiritual Theology at Regent College. He also served as founding pastor of Christ Our King Presbyterian Church in Bel Air, Maryland. He has written over thirty books, including Gold Medallion Book Award winner The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language a contemporary translation of t ...more
More about Eugene H. Peterson...
A Long Obedience in the Same Direction: Discipleship in an Instant Society Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places: A Conversation in Spiritual Theology (Spiritual Theology #1) Eat This Book: A Conversation in the Art of Spiritual Reading (Spiritual Theology #2) The Pastor: A Memoir The Contemplative Pastor: Returning to the Art of Spiritual Direction (The Pastoral series, #4)

“You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world.
(Matthew 5:14, The Message)”
144 likes
“You don't make your words true by embellishing them with religious lace. In making your speech sound more religious, it becomes less true.” 7 likes