Start by marking “Blue Valley (A World War 2 Fantasy)” as Want to Read:
Blue Valley (A World War 2 Fantasy)

Blue Valley (A World War 2 Fantasy)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  8 reviews
At the outset of World War 2, Will Leary is sent to California to investigate an agricultural anomaly; the soil is turning blue.

The War Department suspects Japanese sabotage, but Will discovers the unwitting culprit is Sarah, the town "witch" who has the uncanny ability to read the Earth's needs.

As the destruction spreads, and the food supply is threatened, it's not long
ebook
Published March 6th 2011 by Lolo Productions

To ask other readers questions about Blue Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Valley

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern1Q84 by Haruki MurakamiThe Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWittThe Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison AllenThe American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin
Best Cover Art 2011 (Non-YA)
117th out of 276 books — 1,602 voters
Masquerade by Cambria HebertPrecipice by Melissa Luznicky GarrettBefore by Cambria HebertRemembrance by Michelle MadowComing Home by Sarah R. Yoffa
Must Buy Smashwords Books
93rd out of 451 books — 448 voters

More lists with this book...

Laurel
I was lucky enough to get an early copy of this and I loved it. It is an unique blend of historical fiction, romance, magical realism, and eco-fiction. It makes you think, the period and setting are fascinating, and it's simply a really great yarn.

The style is easy to read and engaging; the characters are accessible and endearing; and you feel that the story is in the capable hands of a writer who is thoughtful and in control. I found myself thinking about it long after I put it down.
Rachelle
A flash back to WW2 and our hate for the Japanese, so many things go wrong and it must be their fault. The elements of the planet are out of balance, and the Earth tries to take back one of it's creations.

Full review over at Doubleshotreviews.com
Ashleigh
So it's been a few days (*cough* a week *cough*) since I finished reading Christine Rice's Blue Valley, but there's a lot going on in the story, and I found it was one of those that you need a few days out of to get your head around.

Blue Valley weaves two beautifully crafted stories together to create a slightly unevenly balanced historical fantasy fiction piece. These two stories duck in and out and race one another, paralleling the lives of an individual and a community in late-World War II (W
M.
I read more history than anything else, and I was intrigued by Blue Valley's story of fantasy-style, supernatural elements (pun intended, I could not help myself) set against the backdrop of WWII, post-Pearl Harbor paranoia and the internment of US citizens of Japanese descent. While the interments are not the focus of the book, they are a part of the texture and mood to the California valley in which most of the novel takes place, heightening the reactions of the people living in the agricultur ...more
Mandy White
I didn't really know what to expect when I started this book but I was pleasantly surprised. This unique and magical fantasy is set during World War 2. It is a tale of supernatural forces and elemental spirits responsible for keeping the earth alive...but it is much more than that. If you aren't sure if this story is for you, I urge you to read the prologue - that's what hooked me! Blue Valley is a splendidly written first volume of what promises to be an enchanting series that steps outside the ...more
Bigal-sa
This was a really slow book for me, I kept waiting for something to happen, and when it did, I was not impressed with how it happened. I'm also not sure why the second world war was important, other than for being able to put Japanese in concentration camps. Historical inaccuracies could have been avoided by having the book time independent (Jets and jet lag in the US in 1942?).

One scene that killed the book totally for me was a pre-1942 truck/pick-up, with at least two blown-out tyres, racing w
Alisa
A thoroughly enjoyable work of historical fiction mixed with fabulism and what I'm thinking is a relatively new genre, "Eco-Fiction" -- while never preachy, Blue Valley manages to convey just how powerful and simultaneously fragile our Earth is and our role in effecting Earth's success or failure to sustain life. Set against the backdrop of World War II and the never changing fear American people maintain toward anything "other", Blue Valley has contemporary resonance that is hard to miss.
A.J.
This has been sitting on my ereader for a while, so there may be a more up-to-date edition around now. I enjoyed the story and found the WW2 setting believable and authentic. There were quite a few editing issues with the book, which might by now have been corrected, but they didn't detract too much from an engaging and intriguing tale.
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Oatsand
Oatsand marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Katherine Hayward
Katherine Hayward marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Lisa Lamere-krzysiak
Lisa Lamere-krzysiak marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Erin Channell
Erin Channell marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2013
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2012
Kayleigh Slater
Kayleigh Slater marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

I moved to Los Angeles to study screenwriting at USC, and even though you couldn't drag me back into the screenwriting business with the promise of money or candy, I love screenplay structure. Use it all the time. It is the crowbar that removes my head from my rectum when such a procedure is required.

I love all types of speculative fiction, and yes I admit to reading vampire books and YA. However,
More about Christine DeMaio-Rice...
Dead Is the New Black (Fashion Avenue Mysteries, #1) Death of a Supermodel (Fashion Avenue Mysteries, #2) The Case of the Missing Blahnik (Fashion Avenue Mysteries, #0.5) A Dress to Die For Fashion Avenue Mysteries Boxed Set (Books 1-3)