Start by marking “A Kingdom Called Desire: Confronted by the Love of a Risen King” as Want to Read:
A Kingdom Called Desire: Confronted by the Love of a Risen King

A Kingdom Called Desire: Confronted by the Love of a Risen King

Author Rick McKinley explains how you can became the honest, passionate follower Jesus is looking for---a follower willing to let your heart be confronted by Christ's transforming love to fulfill your deepest desires and radically reveal his Kingdom through your life.
Published April 5th 2011 by Zondervan (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Kingdom Called Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Kingdom Called Desire

Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Rick McKinley uses, essentially, a poetically minimalist style to guide readers to leave the religious treadmills that they run, honestly examine their hearts' greatest desires, and see how a loving relationship with Jesus will satisfy the deepest desires of their hearts. It is not exactly a revolutionary text, but it is Biblical and generous and pastoral, and many people will benefit from reading it.

I have been a fan of Rick McKinley for years now. I listen to his podcasts from Im
Stephen Escalera
(Disclosure: I received this book for free in return for an unbiased review. I am not required to write a positive review. The opinions that follow are my own)

"What is it we most deeply want?"

"What do you want? What do you really want?"

These are easy questions to ask ourselves, but incredibly hard ones to answer honestly. These are the types of questions that Rick McKinley challenges the reader to consider in his book A Kingdom Called Desire. Although rather short (only 176 pages), it is packed
Taylor Storey
This one reminded me of "Desiring God" by John Piper or perhaps John Eldredge's "Journey of Desire". I asked the author if he was familiar with either of those books and I was shocked he answered in the negative. I thought authors would consult the books that are out there on a subject before writing a complete book about it. These are not the kind of authors I would like to read.

If I remember correctly he spends the majority of his time retelling Jesus' parables found in Matthew. I'd encourage
Luke
Apr 30, 2011 Luke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short book had one powerful idea in it. Most Christians today are not falling short in their relationship with Christ because of 'How?' questions. Rather many have failed to answer the simple question of 'Why?' in a satisfactory way. Their heart is perpetually restless for sin because it has never found rest in truly desiring Christ. Some of the supporting material around this idea was a little formulaic and boring, but the first 50-60 pages were a fabulous read.
Julia
Jun 27, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really nice short read positing that Christians and Christian culture spend too much energy asking "how?" when the right questions to ask are about our desires-- "why?" and "what do you want?" We try to sate our deepest desires with religiosity or sin or achievement or family or whatever but ultimately fulfillment only comes through the redemptive love of Jesus. A fresh perspective on what the Christian life is, communicated with energy and nuance.
Milan Homola
very basic and simple point...that is what I enjoyed about it. But the depth of undiscovered life bound up in looking at our desires is overwhelming. Solid book and I appreciated the non-Bell like writing that was straightforward and didn't try to pull any punches by tweaking orthodox vocabulary.
Brian Cawley
Jul 11, 2012 Brian Cawley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another strong book from one of my favorite authors. Really good nuggets in here (especially the chapter on vocation) but not quite as strong as This Beautiful Mess. Would give it 4.5 if I could.
Janver Holly
May 21, 2013 Janver Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great discussion of the dynamic, God-given role of desire in the personal and spiritual life. Striking were the thoughts on freedom and the ultimate good brought about by the existence of evil.
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
May 10, 2011
'Jj
'Jj rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2012
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2014
Matt Spainhour
Matt Spainhour rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Misty
Misty rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Julia Aguilar
Julia Aguilar rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2012
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Ben Riche
Ben Riche rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Philip Wong
Philip Wong rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2011
B.J. Richardson
B.J. Richardson rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2012
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2012
Suni
Suni rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Jeremiah  Gilfoy
Jeremiah Gilfoy rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2015
Darren Johnson
Darren Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2014
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2012
Aubrey
Aubrey rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Joel
Joel rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2016
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2014
Steven Hinkle
Steven Hinkle rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Kevin Thompson
Kevin Thompson rated it it was ok
Nov 05, 2014
Holly
Holly rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »

“In the middle of the brutal reality of death, Jesus never stopped calling people to life. Centering his attention on life, he continually pushes past the smaller and cheaper things we tend to live for and goes right to the core issue, which is life itself.” 3 likes
“God’s love is his nature and he is so full of mercy that he has not chosen whom he loves based on their personal achievements or perceived worth. His love is given to those who are not worthy. He is not seeking to unite himself only to those who meet certain qualifications of looks, personality, and aptitude, but instead he has chosen a bride who was once an orphaned whore.” 2 likes