Start by marking “A Kingdom Called Desire: Confronted by the Love of a Risen King” as Want to Read:
A Kingdom Called Desire: Confronted by the Love of a Risen King

A Kingdom Called Desire: Confronted by the Love of a Risen King

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Author Rick McKinley explains how you can became the honest, passionate follower Jesus is looking for---a follower willing to let your heart be confronted by Christ's transforming love to fulfill your deepest desires and radically reveal his Kingdom through your life.
Published April 5th 2011 by Zondervan (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Kingdom Called Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Kingdom Called Desire

Kurt
In this book, Rick McKinley uses, essentially, a poetically minimalist style to guide readers to leave the religious treadmills that they run, honestly examine their hearts' greatest desires, and see how a loving relationship with Jesus will satisfy the deepest desires of their hearts. It is not exactly a revolutionary text, but it is Biblical and generous and pastoral, and many people will benefit from reading it.

I have been a fan of Rick McKinley for years now. I listen to his podcasts from Im
Taylor Storey
This one reminded me of "Desiring God" by John Piper or perhaps John Eldredge's "Journey of Desire". I asked the author if he was familiar with either of those books and I was shocked he answered in the negative. I thought authors would consult the books that are out there on a subject before writing a complete book about it. These are not the kind of authors I would like to read.

If I remember correctly he spends the majority of his time retelling Jesus' parables found in Matthew. I'd encourage
Luke
This short book had one powerful idea in it. Most Christians today are not falling short in their relationship with Christ because of 'How?' questions. Rather many have failed to answer the simple question of 'Why?' in a satisfactory way. Their heart is perpetually restless for sin because it has never found rest in truly desiring Christ. Some of the supporting material around this idea was a little formulaic and boring, but the first 50-60 pages were a fabulous read.
Julia
A really nice short read positing that Christians and Christian culture spend too much energy asking "how?" when the right questions to ask are about our desires-- "why?" and "what do you want?" We try to sate our deepest desires with religiosity or sin or achievement or family or whatever but ultimately fulfillment only comes through the redemptive love of Jesus. A fresh perspective on what the Christian life is, communicated with energy and nuance.
Milan Homola
very basic and simple point...that is what I enjoyed about it. But the depth of undiscovered life bound up in looking at our desires is overwhelming. Solid book and I appreciated the non-Bell like writing that was straightforward and didn't try to pull any punches by tweaking orthodox vocabulary.
Janver Holly
A great discussion of the dynamic, God-given role of desire in the personal and spiritual life. Striking were the thoughts on freedom and the ultimate good brought about by the existence of evil.
Brian Cawley
Another strong book from one of my favorite authors. Really good nuggets in here (especially the chapter on vocation) but not quite as strong as This Beautiful Mess. Would give it 4.5 if I could.
Kirstin Dawn
Kirstin Dawn marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Curtis Winkle
Curtis Winkle marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Pamela Graffius
Pamela Graffius marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
james a grainger
james a grainger marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Stephen Carter
Stephen Carter marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Shannon
Shannon is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
This Beautiful Mess: Practicing the Presence of the Kingdom of God Jesus in the Margins: Finding God in the Places We Ignore Advent Conspiracy: Can Christmas Still Change the World? The Answer to Our Cry: Freedom to Live Fully, Love Boldly, and Fear Nothing Advent Conspiracy Study Pack: Can Christmas Still Change the World? [With DVD]

“God’s love is his nature and he is so full of mercy that he has not chosen whom he loves based on their personal achievements or perceived worth. His love is given to those who are not worthy. He is not seeking to unite himself only to those who meet certain qualifications of looks, personality, and aptitude, but instead he has chosen a bride who was once an orphaned whore.” 2 likes
“In the middle of the brutal reality of death, Jesus never stopped calling people to life. Centering his attention on life, he continually pushes past the smaller and cheaper things we tend to live for and goes right to the core issue, which is life itself.” 1 likes