The Eye of the Forest

The Eye of the Forest (Children of the Lamp #5)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,258 ratings  ·  57 reviews
When a collection of Incan artifacts goes missing, the Blue Djinn of Babylon dispatches the twins to South America to recover them. Along the way, though, John and Philippa encounter their friend Dybbuk, who has been drained of his djinn powers but is determined to get them back.
Published February 1st 2010 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 2008)

J.
So many things to talk about in this review. One of the things that really irked me throughout the series so far is the fact that the butler Groanin could make these ridiculously erroneous comments about other cultures. The author at least has him admit something the rest of the audience knew:

"Groanin, you're a racist," said Nimrod.
"Yes, sir," said Groanin.
p. 307

None of the other characters bat an eye at this admission. Perhaps it's because these books perpetuate the trope of the genius kids and...more
Seth Braybrook
The Eye of the Forest by P.B. Kerr is the fifth book of The Children of the Lamp series. It is another exciting adventure about genies or “Djinn”, as they like to be called. The two main characters of the book are John and Philippa Gaunt. The two children are twins and they live in New York City. The twins often help their Uncle Nimrod solve mysteries involving magic.
Shortly into the book the twins and their Uncle Nimrod are sent on a magical mission to find some stolen ancient Incan artifacts...more
Shane
This installment is far and away the best in the series. Earlier books felt like they were action sequence after action sequence designed to keep ADD/ADHD kids from losing interest. This one, feels more like a well written and well developed story.

If you need the stolen head of Pizarro, a guide with a shrunken head and a killer tattoo, or a war between two armies where the combatants are already dead...this is the story for you. Philippa and John travel to South America with Uncle Nimrod, his t...more
Michael
I wasn't as impressed with this one as I was with the others. I think it's about time to bring the series to a close. First of all, this book gives new meaning to the phrase "deus ex machina". I mean, some of the stuff just happened out of nowhere! Philippa's strawberry shoes, etc. Also, so much random stuff happened that it detracted from the overall plot. And was it just me, or was the constant repition of phrases like fingernails on a chalkboard? I was so sick of reading "Sicky's head may hav...more
Daisy
Apr 19, 2014 Daisy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daisy by: My Grandpa
Shelves: 2014, 4-star, fiction
If the one word to sum up the previous book in this series was weird, this one (which thankfully has a more logical title) would probably be gross, and if I had to think of a second; annoying - that's because what with Groanin and Nimrod's racist and offensive comments, names on every page that are either impossible to pronounce or embarrassingly bad puns, and the fact that the author can't seem to ever make it clear if a character is dead or gone or what - this book can drive you crazy if you l...more
02RebeccaH
Anna Elsa
Ananya~Fantasy bookworm~
I read up to around 350 of 420+ pages. I jst didn't feel like reading the rest. Not that it's bad but the book was getting rather bugging.
Lynn Heath
I loved this book as well as the previous 4 in the series. I am looking forward to the next book.
Jenne
Continuing the marvelous adventure in this 5th installment, twin djinn, Philippa and John Gaunt, find themselves in the midst of a new adventure! Along with their Uncle Nimrod and his unhappy butler, the twins must go deep into the Amazon on the trail of the greedy wizard Virgil Mccreedy in search of the eye of the forest, a fabled gateway to the lost Inca City of Gold.

But all is not what it seems. Clues suggested that the way to the city is booby-trapped or false trails have been left by the In...more
Mr
Stephanie
I wasn't as impressed with this one as I was with some earlier installments; I suppose I didn't appreciate the environmentalist overtones and wasn't drawn in by the rain forest setting or some of the plot elements. Still, it's pretty well written, the characters continue to be engaging, and there were some fun and even affecting scenes. (A certain conversation between Dybbuk and the shade of Mr. Rakshasas and another between Mr. and Mrs. Gaunt come to mind.) I'm still happy to follow this series...more
J. Else
This book gets back to what I loved about the series. It began to dwindle a little bit, but this book was a stellar return to all that I loved about the first books. Tons of twists and turns, excellent plot development, and very enjoyable. I am not the biggest fan of the partial deux ex machina ending, but I find that there is one of those in each more recent book. I look forward to another book with anticipation and high hopes! There were a few questions left in the end...
Sara B.
This book is really awesome! Its about 2 kids called John and Phillipa who have special powers and like to save the world. Their friend Dybbuk turned evil after he lost his special powers, and they are looking for him in the jungle before he does something very bad. With flesh eating flowers, strangling ropes, and more, John and Philippa's journey will turn very perilous. Can they survive to help Dybbuk? Read THE EYE OF THE FOREST by P.B. Kerr!
Colleen
It took me a long time to read this book which is weird because I loved the series and flew though the first four novels. I still liked this book but I wouldn't read it again. I seemed to get bogged down in the middle of the book. It didn't quite have the excitement that the first four book had but overall it is a novel worth reading once. Oh well, I guess Philip Kerr doesn't have to nail it all the time.
Dayna Smith
The fifth book in The Children of the Lamp series. The twins along with Groanin, Nimrod, and Zadie must head for the Amazon jungle to find the Eye of the Forest and prevent Dybbuk and McCreeby from performing a ritual that will end the world. But as things seem to keep stalling their progress they begin to wonder if they have a traitor in their midst.
Iskreads
I loved this book. It just kept getting more and more interesting as you read through it. This book is filled with magical adventures of the to twins Philippa and John. They have something called djinn powers that are very powerful. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves adventure books with magic. If you read the whole series it's better.
Mailis Viiand
After Indiana Jones opened up the possibilities in our minds of hidden jungle cities, treasures and traps, almost everyone has a soft spot for Amazon adventures. Add Djinn superpowers, weird local customs, annoying but funny villains, and sister-brother duo who never hesitate to blunder straight to the heart of things, and you have this book.
Brett
Continues to be highly enjoyable adventure with great humor, always sly, but sometimes verging on the goofy, sometimes verging on the gross (after all, this is a middle-grade book.) The characters continue to be great, especially John & Phillippa, & Nimrod & Groanin. Ends with an obvious new enemy for the next installment, which I hope comes soon.
Amanda
In this part of the series, John and Phillipa are off to find the eye of the forest, and ancient door leading to a mythical city. The question is whether or not it's that mythical. The twins meet new friends, lose some old ones, and have new and exciting magical experiences. I love reading about what happens to them!
Marissa
This is probably the best one besides #4. You do learn a lot and it is filled with lots of humor and another amazing adventure. P.B Kerr is really good as a author and I highly recommend this book to everyone. This may look like a little kids' book from the cover but don't underestimate it. This is such a good book!
Michelle
It took me a long time to read this book. It wasn't as engaging to me as the other books in the series. Maybe I have attention deficency problems, like another reviewer mentioned.

I did like this book. I love the imagination the author has!

I am curious if there will be another book in the series.
Brittany Perry
As always with this author it was amazing and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves harry potter or percy Jackson. It was original a great new testament to the series. It was full of surprises and again you learn more and more about the series as you go. England must be overstocked with excellent writers.
Lisa
This was good - but darker. Somehow the story seemed more formulaic action and suspense, with less development of character in the midst of it all. The ending is rather stressful too, as you wonder how characters will cope with their situations as things are left! There MUST be a sequel coming!
Laramort
I almost stopped reading after the first chapter of this book. Seriously I'm sick of all the propoganda in Children's books these days.

Most of the characters started to bug me in this book too. I used to like Groanin but now he's become repetitive and annoying.
Cathi
I've enjoyed the whole series so far. I thought it was at a good stopping point after number 4, but apprently not. This book did answer a few questions that were unresolved after book 4, but it also presented a few more; so I'm now looking forward to book 6.
This was much better than the last two books in the series. It was quite funny and had an interesting story line. I had given up on the Akhenaten twins but was persuaded by a coworker to read this one. She was right, it was a fun read.
Mandy
I still like this series, but this book seemed a little more juvenile than the others. I think it was the character Sicky and all the repetition of "he may have had a small head, but there was nothing wrong with his_______" that got to me.
Madeline S
This book looks long (and it is), but I think you'd go right through it. It's a really good book, and like many other books it just keeps you hanging and wanting to on and on. The chapters also describe things very well.
April
John, Philippa, Nimrod and Groanin go to Peru to try to save the world from the great destruction Pachatiti. Virgil McCreeby and Dybbuk are involved. Ancient Inca mummy kings and spanish conquistadors have a battle.
  • Charlie Bone and the Red Knight (Children of the Red King, #8)
  • Jinx On The Divide (The Divide, #3)
  • The Fall of the Templar (Grey Griffins, #3)
  • The Siren Song (Cronus Chronicles, #2)
  • The Search for Truth (Erec Rex, #3)
  • The Fiend and the Forge (The Tapestry, #3)
  • Into the Mist (The Land of Elyon, 0.5)
  • Lost (Magic Thief, #2)
  • Isle of the Dead (Dragons of Deltora, #3)
  • Darke (Septimus Heap, #6)
  • The Gathering (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #2)
  • Nina e l'occhio segreto di Atlantide (La Bambina della Sesta Luna, #4)
  • Land Keep (Farworld, #2)
  • Garden of the Purple Dragon (Dragon Keeper, #2)
  • The Sorcerer's Secret (Gods of Manhattan, #3)
Also writes as Philip Kerr.

Philip Kerr (P.B. Kerr) is a British author of both adult fiction and non-fiction, most notably the Bernie Gunther series, and of children's books, particularly the Children of the Lamp series.

Kerr was educated there and at a grammar school in Northampton. He studied law at the University of Birmingham from 1974–1980, achieving a masters degree. Kerr worked as an adverti...more
More about P.B. Kerr...
The Akhenaten Adventure (Children of the Lamp, #1) The Blue Djinn of Babylon (Children of the Lamp, #2) The Cobra King of Kathmandu (Children of the Lamp, #3) The Day of the Djinn Warriors (Children of the Lamp, #4) The Five Fakirs of Faizabad (Children of the Lamp, #6)