Start by marking “Please Fire Me: Posts from the Revolting Workplace” as Want to Read:
Please Fire Me: Posts from the Revolting Workplace

Please Fire Me: Posts from the Revolting Workplace

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating Details ·  2 Ratings  ·  0 Reviews
If you work in the kind of place where your boss's door is always open, the coffee is always refilled, and professionalism reigns, then kindly put down this book and throw yourself off something very tall. If years of being frustrated by arrogant douche bags and mental pygmies have left you ready to burn the world to the ground while laughing, then prepare to discover ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Citadel (first published March 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Please Fire Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please Fire Me

Samantha
Jun 24, 2011 Samantha rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I won this in the first reads giveaway and was very excited to find it in my mail box one afternoon; so much so that I began reading it even though I'd yet to finish another book (something I rarely do.)

Perhaps I set myself up, but a few pages in and I was sorely disappointed; more than halfway through it had yet to redeem itself. Reading through, it seems like the author is trying too hard to be funny, instead of letting the work speak for itself. I was also struck by a feeling that the book wa
Courtney
May 15, 2012 Courtney rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through First Reads, and I'm going to agree with the majority of reviewers on this one. The PFM posts themselves are great, but the book spends so much time taking each and every post and creating some sort of illustration, dialogue, role-play scenario, screenplay, or who knows what else that it completely kills the buzz.

In one of the final chapters, the book says "You should be proud, though. By getting this far, you gain the chance to make a mark in the ledgers of eternity
Cheryl
Dec 29, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, jobs-work
Please Fire Me: Posts from the Revolting Workplace by Adam Chromy and Jill Morris is a highly entertaining, funny (but sad at the same time) compilation of quotes, jokes, stories, and cartoons all based upon real experiences in the workplace, as submitted to the PleaseFireMe.com blog. I enjoyed the entire book, but most laugh-out-loud funny were the reader-submitted posts such as, "Please fire me. I have 4 managers, and there are 12 people that work here." and "Please fire me. I am dressed like ...more
Natasha
Jan 09, 2013 Natasha rated it did not like it
Shelves: incomplete
The authors of this book had a brilliant idea that could have resulted in an excellent, funny read. However, the commentary, diagrams, pictures, and everything else that they threw in between the posts quickly ruined the book for me. If anything, the posts seemed to be thrown in between the commentary and illustrations. The authors seemed to be trying too hard to be funny, and they didn't even come close to the mark.
Lauren
Sep 28, 2011 Lauren rated it did not like it
the actual quotes from people who hate their jobs were funny. everything else just seemed like the authors trying too hard to be funny. by about halfway through, i was only reading the quotes and skimming through the rest. if you're looking for a book to make you feel better about your crappy job, this isn't it.
Jan
May 03, 2011 Jan rated it it was amazing
Unlike other website-based books which merely regurgitate user posts, every page of Please Fire Me showcases the unique humor and thoughtful editorial writing of its authors Jill Morris and Johnny McNulty. Spoiler alert: if you read this book at work you will likely be fired for laughing out loud.
Andrea
Jul 29, 2011 Andrea rated it did not like it
The only part of this book that was truly funny were the Please Fire Me quotes taken from other people. The rest of the book was not very interesting and not at all funny. It would have been better to fill up those 213 pages with quotes organized by categories of complaints and left it at that.
Emily Leathers
Apr 13, 2012 Emily Leathers rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
Dreadful, barely made it into the second chapter. Skipped to a few bits further on and failed to find anything worthwhile, then put it down in disgust. This is the only bad book I've ever gotten from the Mission Bay reference librarian picks - I wonder if it was there by mistake.
Pauline
Mar 04, 2012 Pauline rated it did not like it
Shelves: humor, own
Sorely disappointing. I found the actual snippets of the "Please fire me" posts quite funny but did not see a point in a lot of the miscellaneous filler that was included in this book. The charts/diagrams were really random and made thing less funny.
Anastasia Musser
Feb 19, 2016 Anastasia Musser rated it liked it
It's worth reading some of the posts that people sent in. My favorite is on page 113: "When I asked a co-worker for scissors, he said I wasn't ready for them." I actually work with someone that condescending! :-)
Zack
Jan 05, 2012 Zack rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
Creatve and funny book about the typical office workplace. Had me laughing hard at times and also tilting my head in confusion.. but overall a good and fun read. I think almost everyone can relate to things in here when it comes to working with people and having a boss.
Sep 03, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!! I seriously barely put it down once it was that good. This book was hysterical with it's wit and dry humor. I cannot wait to read more books from this author.
Jessica Samide
Oct 17, 2011 Jessica Samide rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Colie!
Jun 29, 2011 Colie! rated it liked it
A good toilet book of the ilk of FML. Check my review here: http://www.comediva.com/editorial/hig...
Jana
Jana rated it it was ok
Dec 11, 2013
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2011
Alicia Glende
Alicia Glende rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2011
Jessica
Jessica rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2011
Ed McCaney
Ed McCaney rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2014
Erin Donaldson
Erin Donaldson rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was ok
Oct 03, 2015
Amy Campbell
Amy Campbell rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2012
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2014
Lise Day
Aug 06, 2011 Lise Day rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
bitter whining about minutae
Les Gehman
Les Gehman rated it liked it
May 24, 2015
Yvette
Yvette rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2013
Rena
May 26, 2011 Rena marked it as to-read
I won this book from First Reads Giveaway. Thank you. Looks good. Can’t wait to read it.
Julene
Jul 08, 2012 Julene rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-finished
I was unfamiliar with the website, so I was expecting more of a short story setup... not the case.
  • Mental Floss presents In the Beginning: From Big Hair to the Big Bang, mental_floss presents a Mouthwatering Guide to the Origins of Everything
  • Causing a Scene: Extraordinary Pranks in Ordinary Places with Improv Everywhere
  • The Old Man and the Swamp: A True Story About My Weird Dad, a Bunch of Snakes, and One Ridiculous Road Trip
  • The Vampire Survival Guide: How to Fight, and Win, Against the Undead
  • Chuck Norris Vs. Mr. T: 400 Facts About the Baddest Dudes in the History of Ever
  • The Great Leap-Fraud: Social Economics of Religious Terrorism, Volume 1, Judaism and Christianity
  • Fail Nation: A Visual Romp Through the World of Epic Fails
  • Mental Floss: Scatterbrained
  • Swimming in the Steno Pool: A Retro Guide to Making It in the Office
  • WTF?: How to Survive 101 of Life's Worst F*#!-Ing Situations
  • The End of Business as Usual: Rewire the Way You Work to Succeed in the Consumer Revolution
  • These Hellish Happenings
  • Mysterious America: The Ultimate Guide to the Nation's Weirdest Wonders, Strangest Spots, and Creepiest Creatures
  • How to Be a Villain: Evil Laughs, Secret Lairs, Master Plans, and More!!!
  • Sh*t My Kids Ruined: An A-Z Celebration of Kid-Destruction
  • Mental Floss Presents Be Amazing: Glow in the Dark, Control the Weather, Perform Your Own Surgery, Get Out of Jury Duty, Identify a Witch, Colonize a Nation, ... Girl, Make a Zombie, Start Your Own Religion
  • Compact with the Devil
  • Butterfly Woman
I am a contributing writer for The Onion.

I am the co-author of Please Fire Me: Posts from the Revolting Workplace.

I am a blogger for The Huffington Post.

I have been published on McSweeney's.

I have many sketches on UCBComedy.com.

I am the curator for the website PleaseFireMe.com.

I am a writer of this bio.
More about Adam Chromy...