Start by marking “Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way

Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way (Encyclopedia Brown #9)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  655 ratings  ·  15 reviews
As Idaville's ten-year-old star detective, Encyclopedia has an uncanny knack for trivia. With his unconventional knowledge, he solves mysteries for the neighborhood kids through his own detective agency. But his dad also happens to be the chief of the Idaville police department, and every night around the dinner table, Encyclopedia helps him solve some of the most baffling ...more
Published March 27th 2008 by Puffin Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way

Cheryl
Working my way through these to catch all that I missed as a fan as a child.

I think what showed up the most in this one is not the dated data needed for some of the facts, but the attempts to let girls be less stereotypically girly. They fail. Sally is non-girly because she knows how to use her fists. Edwina (a victim in a lame case) is non-girly because she passes as a boy to join a sports team. Sobol just doesn't get it. Eh, but I forgive him. Read the books for the puzzles, not for their gre
Julesmarie
This time I learned that apparently dogs can have nervous breakdowns... who knew.

My favorite mystery here would probably be The Case of the Headless Runner.

But my favorite thing about this book are two fun quotes:

"You're a squirrel's idea of heaven," retorted Bugs.

and about the substitute pitcher in a pee-wee baseball game:

Warren's lack of control for the rest of the inning was perfect. He never missed hitting a bat except when he hit an arm or a leg. Six runs were scored.
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
I recommend Encyclopedia Brown. I was 8 when I first encountered this series. I loved it. It was recommended by a boy that I liked. What I liked about these books is that it taught me how to think before making wild guesses. Each book had several cases which were easy to read and follow for a child. I recommend this to any parent looking for helping their child to use logic and deductive reasoning. Great on how to look at relevant facts at a child's level.
Alex
Another Encyclopedia Brown re-read with my dad. I'm having so much fun laughing at the ridiculousness of this series.

Once again, this was filled with some implausible "solutions" (view spoiler) but that's most of the fun.
Steven Law
I loved reading these stories when I was a kid, and can't wait to read them to my own.
Karen
Clever and a very quick read with several short stories, then flipping to the back for the solutions to the mysteries. The format encourages attention to detail and re-reading for comprehension, while not being as big of a commitment as a Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys novel. I would think this would be great to get a remedial reader hooked on reading.
Elisabeth
Dec 31, 2013 Elisabeth added it
Shelves: books-i-own

Leroy Brown is back in the next six books in the Encyclopedia Brown series. As Idaville’s ten-year-old star detective, Encyclopedia has an uncanny knack for trivia. With his unconventional knowledge, he solves mysteries for the neighborhood kids through his own detective agency. But his dad also happens to be the chief of the Idaville police department, and every night around the dinner table, Encyclopedia helps him solve some of the most baffling crimes. With ten confounding mysteries in each b

Caroline
I'm clearly struggling to develop a taste for beginning reader series books. I absolutely understand why kids like them and think they are incredibly important to provide access to, but I haven't been having the best time reading them. And I know many may consider this sacrilege, but I truly hated Encyclopedia Brown. Ugh.
Jacob
You should chooose this book for your kids because it has short mysteries that you can solve yourself and then check the answer in the back of the book to see if you are right. Some of them are easy and some are really hard.
Sharon
I've not been much of a mystery fan as an adult, but I loved this series, and read the ones in our library several times.
Cupof Tea
My best one word description from high school was "Babyish".
Terryann Saint
Still fun. Slighty easier to figure out now that I'm a grownup!
Catherine Woodman
I shared a passion for these with Jake
Annice22
Fun little mystery book.
Cws
Jun 04, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR3-Sob
Finnon
Finnon marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
  • The Mystery Cruise (The Boxcar Children #29)
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • February Friend (Calendar Mysteries, #2)
  • Deadwood City (Choose Your Own Adventure, #8)
  • The Return of the Great Brain (#6)
  • Say Good-Bye (Wild at Heart, #5)
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • George Washington's Socks
  • The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #2)
  • The Triceratops Pops Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #15)
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...
Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1) Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2) Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake! (Encyclopedia Brown, #15 1/2) Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5) Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)