Start by marking “Raising a Soul Surfer: One Family's Epic Tale” as Want to Read:
Raising a Soul Surfer: One Family's Epic Tale

Raising a Soul Surfer: One Family's Epic Tale

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  194 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Cheri Hamilton, Bethany’s mom, tells the inspiring story of the Hamilton Family.
Bethany Hamilton’s incredible story of surviving and thriving in the wake of a shark attack, told in her best-selling autobiography Soul Surfer, has sold more than 1.5 million copies. Yet her family’s adventures started long before Bethany lost her arm and became a pro surfer. Now Cheri Hamilto
Published July 4th 2011 by Regal (first published June 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Raising a Soul Surfer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising a Soul Surfer

Ginger Price
Apr 07, 2015 Ginger Price rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Background story

This is the background story behind the film, "Soul Surfer" - the story of Bethany Hamilton. Bethany was a 13 year old training to become a professional surfer, living in Hawaii with her parents and brothers, when she lost her arm ok n a shark attack. It's the story of Cheri & Tom -meeting as surfers in Hawaii, living in a van or with friends, and surfing as their number one goal. Their children learned at early ages to enjoy the waves and the beach.

It's the story of how th
Ry
Mar 16, 2016 Ry rated it liked it
I learned a lot from this book! I loved the movie Soul Surfer and I had read the book Bethany wrote, but I enjoyed reading more from another point of view. Obviously the outcomes from the attack were very difficult for Bethany, but after reading this book I saw that it was just has hard just in different ways. I always wondered what Bethany's real parents were like and this book showed me more of them. They were both die heart surfers. They both surfed all their life and surfing was a part of t ...more
Erica
Sep 14, 2011 Erica rated it it was amazing
Bethany Hamilton is amazing! The movie was great also!
Bredne Ann
I had to read this book because of a book report for my advanced English class. I didn't think it would be as informing as I needed it to be, but it was. I learned a lot about the difficult times for Bethany Hamilton as well as her family.
Erin
Aug 10, 2011 Erin rated it it was amazing
At first I wasn't sure what to think, like Bethany, Cheri has a sometimes unique way of telling a story. But when you just sit and relax and take it in, you realize that reading her words is like listening to her tell it in person. Sometimes she will go off on connectable tangents before returning to the original story! My favorite chapters were 10 and the epilogue (does that count?).
I very much enjoyed getting a different perspective of Bethany's story, for me while hearing/reading about her f
Carmen
Jun 20, 2014 Carmen rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. This book is a behind the story from her mother's perspective. Her mother isn't an award winner writer, but I enjoyed reading about her family and her faith.
One of my favorite parts of the book is found on pg. 145, this was just after Bethany's attack. "Then there were the comforting words the paramedic, with whom we had attended church, whispered into Bethany's ear as she was loaded into the ambulance: 'God will never leave your nor forsake you,' he said. These wor
Amy
Apr 04, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
You can tell she isn't a professional writer but I loved the look into their lives. very inspirational!
Cristi
Nov 12, 2011 Cristi rated it really liked it
After seeing the movie Soul Surfer, I was interested to see how accurate it was to the real events surrounding Bethany Hamilton's shark attack. This book gave great insights to the Hamilton family and where Bethany came from. It was a little light on what they went through in the aftermath of the attack, but as a parent I can understand how you would want to keep that private. Although some things in the movie were not entirely accurate, this book showed the movie was true to who this family was ...more
Kelli
Jul 28, 2011 Kelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This is really a sweet book. Its like comfort food, its totally easy to understand and wrap yourself in to the world of a surfing mom and follower of Jesus. This book is special and nostalgic to me. It kinda has the voice my own mom would have, if she were writing a story about her life. Its simple and faithful and definitely kind and compassionate. I have always loved hearing about the Hamilton family, and Bethany's story. God is using them all in the best of ways.

I also I really love the book
Kameron
Aug 21, 2011 Kameron rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
I enjoyed reading this mother's account of her family's path of loving and living for the Lord. The writing is extremely simple and straightforward and maybe included a few too many rough details about the Hamiltons' lives before they were Christians. But I loved hearing about her heart for God and her children and also hearing about so many facts of life in Kaua'i before we ever got here! We already are familiar with so many of the names she mentions - not just of places, but of surfers and Kau ...more
Darlene Wiebe
Apr 02, 2015 Darlene Wiebe rated it it was amazing
I loved the book. It reminded me again of how everyone of us has bumps in our life and that these bumps can not be ranked on a lesser or greater scale. What these bumps do is make us more compassionate of others when we understand that it is not about the scale of the bump but about the person that is hurting because of the bump.
Jermia
Aug 14, 2014 Jermia rated it really liked it
I like the writing as well as the story. It is a humble testimony of a faithful Christian family, warming and inspiring.
Amy
Nov 27, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok
Parts of the story are inspiring, and it is interesting to see how she used her Christian faith to raise a daughter who is so amazing, but it is a bit hard to follow, and has a choppy writing style.

Bethany Hamilton, the author's daughter, had one of her arms bitten off by a shark, and is a world renowned surfing champion. The mother and daughter's faith and resilience are interesting to read about.
Barb
Jan 28, 2015 Barb rated it liked it
Good book!
Jenna
Nov 08, 2011 Jenna rated it it was amazing
This book was so inspirational.....To hear Bethany's story from the other side was great!! I love Bethany Hamilton and it was great to see the family that she comes from and how they helped her in her time of need. The family had it just as hard as Bethany after the attack and it reminds the reader of the importance of family. Loved it so much!
Shannon
Jan 05, 2015 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy
As somebody who wishes to be a parent someday, I loved reading about Bethany from her mother's point of view and finding out a little bit more about her background. If you can't tell I'm slightly obsessed with Bethany Hamilton... But hey, she's incredible! I loved this book just as I loved Soul Surfer!
Ashley Kushner
Jun 23, 2014 Ashley Kushner rated it really liked it
I could see how some parts of the book could be confusing to the average reader. I liked being able to find out some things about Bethany's life that weren't in Bethany's book and the movie. I also liked being to see how spiritual of a person Cheri is through reading the book.
Tiffany Bills
Sep 10, 2012 Tiffany Bills rated it liked it
This family has very strong Christian beliefs, and did a great job raising their children. I wasn't really sure what the purpose of the book was. It kind of jumped around and I could have skipped the first chapter and felt fine about it. I hope Soul Surfer is more engaging.
Susanne
Oct 23, 2011 Susanne rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book more than Bethany's original Soul Surfer book - just because it was targeted more towards adults. It was interesting to find out more of the background of the Hamilton family, and how they coped with Bethany's tragic shark attack.
Brittin Grace
Oct 27, 2013 Brittin Grace rated it really liked it
I really like this. Although, I did like the book Soul Surfer better. It was in the point of view from Bethany. This was mostly Cheri (Bethany's mom). But still a good book.
Haley
Feb 05, 2012 Haley rated it really liked it
Really good book. Gave the full story of Bethany Hamilton and really encouraged me to get closer to God. It's a great read, I would totally recommend it. :)
Julia Bonnici
Sep 18, 2011 Julia Bonnici rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Julia by: The movie, Soul Surfer
Shelves: 7th-grade-books
This is a very good book! It is not what I would have expected to think about their family. The book goes back to when Bethany's parents were little.
Nancy
Dec 26, 2015 Nancy added it
Shelves: abandoned
This is the first book I have started and not finished. It was so choppy I couldn't stand it. No more autobiographies for me.
Noelle
Oct 10, 2011 Noelle rated it it was amazing
Wow. It brought tears to my eyes at the end. A must read!!
Justin
Jan 18, 2013 Justin rated it did not like it
Amazing story....Boring book!
greenivyk2
Aug 09, 2012 greenivyk2 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring story!
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Ashli St Denny
Ashli St Denny marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
  • Soul Surfer Devotions
  • Clash (Soul Surfer, #1)
  • The Shadow of His Wings
  • Smith Wigglesworth on Spiritual Gifts
  • Weird but True! 4: 300 Outrageous Facts
  • Lost Boy: My Story
  • Learning to Fall: The Blessings of an Imperfect Life
  • Horsenapped! (Saddle Club, #17)
  • Turn My Mourning Into Dancing: Finding Hope in Hard Times
  • A Table in the Presence: The Dramatic Account of How a U.S. Marine Battalion Experienced God's Presence Amidst the Chaos of the War in Iraq