Raising a Soul Surfer: One Family's Epic Tale

Raising a Soul Surfer: One Family's Epic Tale

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Cheri Hamilton, Bethany’s mom, tells the inspiring story of the Hamilton Family.
Bethany Hamilton’s incredible story of surviving and thriving in the wake of a shark attack, told in her best-selling autobiography Soul Surfer, has sold more than 1.5 million copies. Yet her family’s adventures started long before Bethany lost her arm and became a pro surfer. Now Cheri Hamilto...more
Published July 4th 2011 by Regal (first published June 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Raising a Soul Surfer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising a Soul Surfer

Erica
Bethany Hamilton is amazing! The movie was great also!
Shannon Sizemore
As somebody who wishes to be a parent someday, I loved reading about Bethany from her mother's point of view and finding out a little bit more about her background. If you can't tell I'm slightly obsessed with Bethany Hamilton... But hey, she's incredible! I loved this book just as I loved Soul Surfer!
Bredne Ann
I had to read this book because of a book report for my advanced English class. I didn't think it would be as informing as I needed it to be, but it was. I learned a lot about the difficult times for Bethany Hamilton as well as her family.
Erin
At first I wasn't sure what to think, like Bethany, Cheri has a sometimes unique way of telling a story. But when you just sit and relax and take it in, you realize that reading her words is like listening to her tell it in person. Sometimes she will go off on connectable tangents before returning to the original story! My favorite chapters were 10 and the epilogue (does that count?).
I very much enjoyed getting a different perspective of Bethany's story, for me while hearing/reading about her f...more
Carmen
I enjoyed reading this book. This book is a behind the story from her mother's perspective. Her mother isn't an award winner writer, but I enjoyed reading about her family and her faith.
One of my favorite parts of the book is found on pg. 145, this was just after Bethany's attack. "Then there were the comforting words the paramedic, with whom we had attended church, whispered into Bethany's ear as she was loaded into the ambulance: 'God will never leave your nor forsake you,' he said. These wor...more
Cristi
After seeing the movie Soul Surfer, I was interested to see how accurate it was to the real events surrounding Bethany Hamilton's shark attack. This book gave great insights to the Hamilton family and where Bethany came from. It was a little light on what they went through in the aftermath of the attack, but as a parent I can understand how you would want to keep that private. Although some things in the movie were not entirely accurate, this book showed the movie was true to who this family was...more
Kelli
This is really a sweet book. Its like comfort food, its totally easy to understand and wrap yourself in to the world of a surfing mom and follower of Jesus. This book is special and nostalgic to me. It kinda has the voice my own mom would have, if she were writing a story about her life. Its simple and faithful and definitely kind and compassionate. I have always loved hearing about the Hamilton family, and Bethany's story. God is using them all in the best of ways.

I also I really love the book...more
Kameron
I enjoyed reading this mother's account of her family's path of loving and living for the Lord. The writing is extremely simple and straightforward and maybe included a few too many rough details about the Hamiltons' lives before they were Christians. But I loved hearing about her heart for God and her children and also hearing about so many facts of life in Kaua'i before we ever got here! We already are familiar with so many of the names she mentions - not just of places, but of surfers and Kau...more
Jermia
I like the writing as well as the story. It is a humble testimony of a faithful Christian family, warming and inspiring.
Amy
Parts of the story are inspiring, and it is interesting to see how she used her Christian faith to raise a daughter who is so amazing, but it is a bit hard to follow, and has a choppy writing style.

Bethany Hamilton, the author's daughter, had one of her arms bitten off by a shark, and is a world renowned surfing champion. The mother and daughter's faith and resilience are interesting to read about.
Jenna
This book was so inspirational.....To hear Bethany's story from the other side was great!! I love Bethany Hamilton and it was great to see the family that she comes from and how they helped her in her time of need. The family had it just as hard as Bethany after the attack and it reminds the reader of the importance of family. Loved it so much!
Ashley Kushner
I could see how some parts of the book could be confusing to the average reader. I liked being able to find out some things about Bethany's life that weren't in Bethany's book and the movie. I also liked being to see how spiritual of a person Cheri is through reading the book.
Tiffany Bills
This family has very strong Christian beliefs, and did a great job raising their children. I wasn't really sure what the purpose of the book was. It kind of jumped around and I could have skipped the first chapter and felt fine about it. I hope Soul Surfer is more engaging.
Susanne
I enjoyed reading this book more than Bethany's original Soul Surfer book - just because it was targeted more towards adults. It was interesting to find out more of the background of the Hamilton family, and how they coped with Bethany's tragic shark attack.
Brittin Grace
I really like this. Although, I did like the book Soul Surfer better. It was in the point of view from Bethany. This was mostly Cheri (Bethany's mom). But still a good book.
Haley
Really good book. Gave the full story of Bethany Hamilton and really encouraged me to get closer to God. It's a great read, I would totally recommend it. :)
Julia Bonnici
Sep 18, 2011 Julia Bonnici rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Julia by: The movie, Soul Surfer
Shelves: 7th-grade-books
This is a very good book! It is not what I would have expected to think about their family. The book goes back to when Bethany's parents were little.
Nancy
This is the first book I have started and not finished. It was so choppy I couldn't stand it. No more autobiographies for me.
Endor Solo
Wow. It brought tears to my eyes at the end. A must read!!
Justin
Amazing story....Boring book!
greenivyk2
Inspiring story!
Trina
Trina marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Raine
Raine added it
Aug 20, 2014
Bigdogsdrule
Bigdogsdrule marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Ryann Bates
Ryann Bates marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Alycia
Alycia marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Pris
Pris marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Lacy
Lacy added it
Jul 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Raising a Soul Surfer: One Family's Epic Tale Crie a Una Surfista de Corazon: El Colosal Relato de Una Familia Raising a Soul Surfer: One Family's Epic Tale