Start by marking “Race and Culture: A World View” as Want to Read:
Race and Culture: A World View

Race and Culture: A World View

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  265 ratings  ·  25 reviews

Encompassing more than a decade of research around the globe, this book shows that cultural capital has far more impact than politics, prejudice, or genetics on the social and economic fates of minorities, nations, and civilization.

Audio CD, 10 pages
Published October 1st 2010 by Blackstone Audiobooks

To ask other readers questions about Race and Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Race and Culture

Void lon iXaarii
Having just finished it I am again impressed by the author's knowledge of history, and systematic research (with critical and comparative logical analysis! something most historians unfortunately seem to me to lack). I have learned from it many very very interesting things about the centuries and even millennia past. Many surprises about the impacts and relationships between race and cultures through history. Many interesting and surprising facts to be learned! Many insights about the different ...more
Ted Heitz
Why the help couldn't we get Sowell as the first black president 15 years ago? He gets it, without having to mince words or speak with ambiguity as to not offend anyone...if everyone understood world issues this way, we would be far better off. He describes how simple economic history has developed world diversity as we know it. great great work.
Laine
But of course this is exceptional. Satisfying in every way. I must say (although Sowell would not approve) there is nothing more seductive than critical analysis that finds the truth.
Rod
Another broad and deep work from America's most important living author. Shows that when we talk about race we really should be discussing culture.
Joe
More history, less Sociological gobbledegook.

A collection of similar essays on the same topic leads to too much redundancy. This topic is too broad: he's covering the history and geography of the world since the age of dinosaurs.

You'll have to be a real history trivia nut to like this. There are lots of interesting observations and anecdotes, but the author rambles like a prof who never shuts up.

Sowell bravely addresses somewhat taboo areas such as different IQ levels (Asians tops); but he
Ilya
The United States has had a race problem since before this country was founded; however, so have many other countries all over the world; there is nothing unique about this country. Some American blacks trace out a connection to ancient Egypt, and as the Wellesley classicist Mary Lefkowitz famously discovered around the time this book was written, assert that Socrates was black. This is, however, nothing compared to the claims of some Sri Lankan Sinhalese that they are racially pure Aryans, and ...more
Michael Connolly
Thomas Sowell again champions clarity of thought. He says that the term racism has been misapplied to situations whether the distinction between groups is primarily cultural, rather than genetic. Of course, it is impossible to completely disentangle genetic and cultural influences. Since this book was written, the meaning of the word racist has expanded so much that criticism of Islam has been called racist, even though Arabs and Europeans are the same race, namely white.
Sowell talks about midd
Mary Catelli
Germans were pioneers in starting up piano making in colonial America, France, England, czarist Russia, and Australia.

There are patterns in history that help explain this, and not because there is anything peculiar about the Germans. Repeated patterns that happen over and over again, where various cultures are exported with the emigrants, and replicate themselves for generations. Though you have to be careful about how you tease them out. There were distinct differences between northern and sout
Robert Dunlap
I'd recommend it as a read, but it fails in one area and begins with that failure.

Sowell does not recommend any actions based on these findings. He begins by admitting that there won't be any in the book, but it cries out for prescription.

It is amazing that this book was written in 1994, because it still seems fresh and new. Or, sadly, nothing has been achieved since then.
C.H.E. Sadaphal
The bottom line: A thought provoking, if not a thought challenging, analysis on the way race has shaped the past and continues to influence the dynamics of the modern world.

Sowell takes a very economic approach to the effects of race on the global society at large. This scientific system relies on hard facts and data, and from there several conclusions are drawn. The benefit of this rational approach is that totally objective conclusions can be drawn “just from the data”. The downside is that th
Ryan
Sowell argues that the tendencies of particular groups of people have a cultural foundation. Even when these groups of people are spread across the world, they have similar economic destinies, and experience the same prejudices among the local populations. These local populations, exercising their prejudice, usually define these groups by their race. Whether the group flourishes or flounders, Sowell cites evidence that the most important determining factor in their success or failure is not exte ...more
Hannah
I really enjoyed this book. The first half felt rather repetitive to me, but the second half brought to light information and ideas that I don't much hear discussed.
Steven
A great look at the economic situation and histories of various ethnic groups as those bear on their position today.
Elise Conner
Thomas Sowell is one of my favorite economists. His writing is straight forward common sense. All Americans who loudly spout their own economic and political opinions and ideas should be exposed to his work.

In simple terms, he debunks common myths regarding the existence of wage discrimination, hiring prejudice, and the widely held idea that all individuals should have equal representation in all industries. Thomas Sowell says what must be said about such concepts shaping our domestic policies:
Nettie Rosenow
This is the first book I've read by Thomas Sowell. While I appreciate the scholarship I have problems with the ideology. Sowell seems to believe that all government intervention is problematic. I just find it hard to swallow that poor immigrants living in filth and squalor ,sometimes because of unscrupulous landlords, did not benefit from regulations.We are the government not some nebulous monster.I found his analysis of race and culture fascinating for the long view it was born from. That is so ...more
Skylar Burris
Sowell is incredibly insightful and intelligent. I just wish his writing was more interesting to read. In academia, you get one viewpoint and one viewpoint only when it comes to topics such as race and culture, and it's rather simplistic. Sowell takes an emotional step-back in order to provide a complex analysis of complex issues.
Doug
This book was very thought-provoking. He makes some very strong points in supporting his world view. Race has a lot more to do woth how the world still moves than I would like to think, blood may still be a lot thicker than we would even like to think.
Gavin
This book was incredible. Thomas sowell breaks down the confusion about race and culture that has been perpetuated by those with a self-annointed vision who have incentive to stunt clarification through verbal virtuousity.
Jesse
Oct 04, 2013 Jesse marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: _skip
Shawn
Excellent, broad primer on sociology. I would recommend this as an introduction to students over the dry textbooks that I've read as part of my college's standard "core" humanities course.
Fred R
A good book, if a little dull. Best at clearing away the superficial moralizing that passes for thinking about race.
John Giddens
Sowell proves again he is the smartest man in the world. A national treasure.
Jerry
Clear thinking on one of the murkiest topics.
Marita
Fascinating, easy to understand.
David
from motley fool
Malachi
Malachi marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Leslie
Leslie is currently reading it
Dec 18, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Ruru
Ruru marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Lissel Devetori
Lissel Devetori marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • The Content of Our Character: A New Vision of Race In America
  • The Fatal Conceit: The Errors of Socialism
  • Bureaucracy
  • Unholy Alliance: Radical Islam And the American Left
  • Real Education: Four Simple Truths for Bringing America's Schools Back to Reality
  • The Future and Its Enemies: The Growing Conflict Over Creativity, Enterprise, and Progress
  • Lights Out: Islam, Free Speech And The Twilight Of The West
  • New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR's Economic Legacy Has Damaged America
  • Men In Black: How the Supreme Court is Destroying America
  • The Ten Things You Can't Say in America
  • Education, Free & Compulsory
2056
Thomas Sowell is an American economist, social commentator, and author of dozens of books. He often writes from an economically laissez-faire perspective. He is currently a senior fellow of the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. In 1990, he won the Francis Boyer Award, presented by the American Enterprise Institute. In 2002 he was awarded the National Humanities Medal for prolific scholars ...more
More about Thomas Sowell...
Basic Economics: A Citizen's Guide to the Economy Economic Facts and Fallacies The Vision of the Anointed: Self-Congratulation as a Basis for Social Policy Black Rednecks & White Liberals Applied Economics: Thinking Beyond Stage One