Start by marking “We Are One: The Story of Bayard Rustin” as Want to Read:
We Are One: The Story of Bayard Rustin

We Are One: The Story of Bayard Rustin

Bayard Rustin dedicated his life to helping others—fighting injustices and discriminations—so that people could live as one. Protesting segregation long before there was a civil rights movement, he often was arrested for his beliefs and actions. As a nonviolent activist, Bayard made his mark working alongside many African American leaders, notably A. Philip Randolph and Ma ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Calkins Creek

To ask other readers questions about We Are One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Are One

Larry Bassett
Aug 27, 2013 Larry Bassett rated it it was amazing
Bayard Rustin was black, a Quaker, a pacifist, a nonviolent activist, a socialist, a homosexual, a follower of Gandhi, a teacher of and advisor to Martin Luther King, Jr., an accomplished singer and a primary organizer of the 1963 March on Washington. He was active with the War Resisters League, the Fellowship of Reconciliation and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference among many other social change organizations. His controversial life as a gay man and a pre1941 communist relegated him t ...more
Bill
Jan 02, 2009 Bill rated it really liked it
A well-written and important portrait of one of the generally unknown heroes of the civil rights movement whose contributions were in many respects suppressed because of his lifestyle.
Rena
Nov 13, 2012 Rena rated it liked it
Shelves: juvi, reference, for-class
The only reason this didn't get a better rating is that it was not unbiased. Information books, especially those for children should have the facts. This clearly stated what side of the issue they were on. While I too would be on that side, it just didnt' leave any room for a new reader to decide on their own.
Sha"Niyah Green
Jan 19, 2017 Sha"Niyah Green rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book it is really fantastic.
If you read this book it will teach you something.
Michelle
Nov 19, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Grade/interest level: 4-12
Reading level: 1120L
Genre: Biography

Main Characters: Bayard Rustin
Setting: Maryland, Washington, and other various cities
POV: 3rd pov

We Are One: The Story of Bayard Rustin is a biographical account of a little known organizer of the Civil Rights Movement. Bayard was raised by his grandmother. His mother gave birth to him as a teen and knew she was too young to give him the life he deserved. He believed his mother was his sister until the age of 11 when he learned the tr
Barbara
May 22, 2008 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Gr 6-10
Summary (CIP): Captures a story of passion, courage, and triumph through Bayard's own words and archival photographs, and through spirituals and protest songs that Bayard often sang.

REVIEW: This well-written and well-laid out volume introduces an unacknowledged leader and ‘intellectual architect’ of the Civil Rights movement, Bayard Rustin, a nonviolent activist from Quaker background. Rustin began organized bus segregation test runs in the 1940’s, years before Rosa Parks; was Martin Luther Kin
Debra Landay
Oct 08, 2010 Debra Landay rated it it was amazing
Bayard Rustin is an unknown hero of the Civil Rights movement. He believed in non-violence and respect of all people. He orchestrated and organized the March on Washington, 1963, and acted as a mentor to Martin Luther King. The book not only tells the history of one man, but in doing so, tells a great deal of Civil Rights History. Easy to read and appropriate for grades 6 and older.
Maria
Apr 18, 2014 Maria rated it liked it
I had never heard of Bayard Rustin. But he was definitely an important person in making positive change in our country during the 1960s. He learned about peaceful activism from the life of Ghandi. Good children's book.
Catriona Rogers
Feb 06, 2010 Catriona Rogers rated it it was amazing
I hope lots of people read this book. Bayard Rustin was a very important civil rights activist. He deserves more attention. One reason he is not well-known is that he was gay. His political ties were also a factor (socialism, communism?). All the more reason we should learn about him.
Melissa Prentice
Oct 16, 2011 Melissa Prentice rated it liked it
Biography of Rustin, a prominent (though less well-known by the mainstream) civil rights leader, is a study in life-long activism. The book does not shy away from the disturbing details of the civil rights struggle, but it still suitable for young readers.
Jeanne
Mar 09, 2013 Jeanne rated it liked it
Even for children's book, I feel the author should have used some of the many powerful quotations from Rustin.
Joan Marie
Jan 25, 2016 Joan Marie rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on the subject; well written, wonderful layout, great back matter.
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
The Phoenix  or the Flame
The Phoenix or the Flame rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Hayley
Hayley rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Kristine
Kristine rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Mrs.Redlien
Mrs.Redlien rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2010
Tatsiana Razumovich
Tatsiana Razumovich rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Karen Sterling
Karen Sterling rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2012
SUSAN OWEN GLASER
SUSAN OWEN GLASER rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2009
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
May 19, 2010
Mamatufy
Mamatufy rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2012
Tom Costello
Aug 05, 2013 Tom Costello rated it really liked it
An excellent presentation for young readers.
librarygrl
librarygrl rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2008
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2009
Kelli Floyd
Kelli Floyd rated it liked it
May 10, 2016
Jasmin Ruiz
Jasmin Ruiz rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Mo
Jun 26, 2009 Mo rated it really liked it
Interesting story about a man I knew nothing about~
Award winning author of more than 150 titles for young readers--fiction and non-fiction. Lived in southwestern Colorado and currently lives in Tucson, Arizona.
More about Larry Dane Brimner...