Start by marking “The Emperor's New Clothes” as Want to Read:
The Emperor's New Clothes

Starbright Foundation

The Emperor's New Clothes

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  13 reviews

A fully illustrated retelling of the classic fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen complete with compact disc of more than forty-five of the grandest talents in the entertainment world. “The cast is A-list. The plot, legendary” (USA Today).

Among the writers are Academy Award -winning and -nominated actors and actresses and other personalities from the worlds of entertainm

Published October 1st 1998 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH)

To ask other readers questions about The Emperor's New Clothes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Emperor's New Clothes

Julie
Steven Spielberg put this star studded set of illustrators and comedians together to give a new twist to this old story. Each star (Madonna, Robyn Williams, Joan Rives...) is one character and has one page to move the story along.Each illustrator(Sendak, Joyce, Kellog.... also have one page. This version is definitely raucous and ribald. You will need to edit some of the words for the young, but the older elementary school kids, I think will get the sophistication.
Jenelle

The story of The Emperor's New Clothes is told from a giant cast of characters surrounding the Emperor. Each has a different, entertaining perspective on the events as they transpire.

Each character is illustrated by one of 23 of the most popular children's artists, making it widely diverse in appearance, yet enhancing the individuality of the characters.

And to add to the fun, the accompanying CD uses 23 celebrities to tell the story out loud. Everyone from Harrison Ford as the shady thief, to M
Sarah Abernathy
this is one of those things that I was totally obsessed with as a kid. I listened to the CD over and over again, and I really wish I could find it again now because I'd still love it.
Dianilu
When I was a kid, this story was one of my favourites. I was intrigued to read it in English and as I went on, I revived my past. It was amazing.
Kerri
Apr 08, 2011 Kerri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all humans and a few dogs
A retelling of HCA's tale by a variety of celebrities and illustrators. The story is told in the first person and from the perspective of the people and even some objects that enter the tale. Liam Neeson is the Imperial Prime Minister, Nathan Lane is the Imperial Dresser, Dr. Ruth Westheimer is the Imperial Physician, Jeff Goldblum is the Imperial Wizard, Dan Aykroyd is the Holy Man, Robin Williams is the Court Jester, Calvin Klein is the Emperor's Underwear, Fran Drescher is the Heralding Horn, ...more
Neil
Fairy tale
Wonderful retelling, with each character a separate vignette, woven together to tell the whole story. Each vignette is written by a different person (celebrity) and each is illustrated by a different illustrator. Comes with a CD too which would probably be a great way to experience this version (although the CD is missing from the copy I read). Could be used as Reader's Theatre with each part told by a different student. Could be used as an example for a writing lesson in which each st
Gina Malewicz
Great old story told by modern actors. Really enjoyed the story content AND the audio CD that came with the book. Several famous actors read for this, Robin Williams, Madonna, Jeff Goldblum, Nathan Lane. Really entertaining for kids AND the parents.
Linda
Oct 10, 2009 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults and High schoolers
Great book with an interesting twist since it was a fund-raiser. Has an edge - not really for elementary children.

Still looking for a good version for read-aloud for our elem. school. Any suggestions
John Velez
The family found this is an interesting read of the family classic narrated by many different actors and musicians on the CD of The Emperors New Clothes. Illustrations in this edition was very entertaining.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
The Starbright version is a fantastic take on the classic story - with plenty of humour and great contributions by celebrity writers and the best of children's illustrators.
Hayleysdancer459
This may seem ridiculous but I read this as a kid and I read it over and over and over and over. The words are practically memorized. I loved that book!!!!!!!!!!!
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Cesar Garay
Cesar Garay marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Diann
Diann marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
John Hutchinson
John Hutchinson marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Andy Caffrey
Andy Caffrey is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2014
Michaela Pilling
Michaela Pilling marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Savanna Rose
Savanna Rose marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014