Start by marking “The Emperor's New Clothes” as Want to Read:
The Emperor's New Clothes
Starbright Foundation

The Emperor's New Clothes

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  15 reviews

A fully illustrated retelling of the classic fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen complete with compact disc of more than forty-five of the grandest talents in the entertainment world. “The cast is A-list. The plot, legendary” (USA Today).

Among the writers are Academy Award -winning and -nominated actors and actresses and other personalities from the worlds of entertainm

Published October 1st 1998 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH)

To ask other readers questions about The Emperor's New Clothes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Emperor's New Clothes

I read this book first, without the companion CD. This is an awesome rendition of the emperer's new clothes. Each page tells the story from a different characters point of view, so the voice delivering the story changes, and the nuances added are just wonderful. Each page is illustrated by a different famous illustrator - Maurice Sendak, Chris Van Allsburg, and Graeme Base to name a few.

Then, I listened to the CD. Once again each character is read by an all-star cast of voices;Harrison Ford, Rob
Steven Spielberg put this star studded set of illustrators and comedians together to give a new twist to this old story. Each star (Madonna, Robyn Williams, Joan Rives...) is one character and has one page to move the story along.Each illustrator(Sendak, Joyce, Kellog.... also have one page. This version is definitely raucous and ribald. You will need to edit some of the words for the young, but the older elementary school kids, I think will get the sophistication.

The story of The Emperor's New Clothes is told from a giant cast of characters surrounding the Emperor. Each has a different, entertaining perspective on the events as they transpire.

Each character is illustrated by one of 23 of the most popular children's artists, making it widely diverse in appearance, yet enhancing the individuality of the characters.

And to add to the fun, the accompanying CD uses 23 celebrities to tell the story out loud. Everyone from Harrison Ford as the shady thief, to M
Sarah Abernathy
this is one of those things that I was totally obsessed with as a kid. I listened to the CD over and over again, and I really wish I could find it again now because I'd still love it.
Dianilu Chacon
When I was a kid, this story was one of my favourites. I was intrigued to read it in English and as I went on, I revived my past. It was amazing.
Apr 08, 2011 Kerri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all humans and a few dogs
A retelling of HCA's tale by a variety of celebrities and illustrators. The story is told in the first person and from the perspective of the people and even some objects that enter the tale. Liam Neeson is the Imperial Prime Minister, Nathan Lane is the Imperial Dresser, Dr. Ruth Westheimer is the Imperial Physician, Jeff Goldblum is the Imperial Wizard, Dan Aykroyd is the Holy Man, Robin Williams is the Court Jester, Calvin Klein is the Emperor's Underwear, Fran Drescher is the Heralding Horn, ...more
Fairy tale
Wonderful retelling, with each character a separate vignette, woven together to tell the whole story. Each vignette is written by a different person (celebrity) and each is illustrated by a different illustrator. Comes with a CD too which would probably be a great way to experience this version (although the CD is missing from the copy I read). Could be used as Reader's Theatre with each part told by a different student. Could be used as an example for a writing lesson in which each st
A retelling of "The Emperor's New Clothes" from many different perspectives.
Gina Malewicz
Great old story told by modern actors. Really enjoyed the story content AND the audio CD that came with the book. Several famous actors read for this, Robin Williams, Madonna, Jeff Goldblum, Nathan Lane. Really entertaining for kids AND the parents.
Oct 10, 2009 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults and High schoolers
Great book with an interesting twist since it was a fund-raiser. Has an edge - not really for elementary children.

Still looking for a good version for read-aloud for our elem. school. Any suggestions
John Velez
The family found this is an interesting read of the family classic narrated by many different actors and musicians on the CD of The Emperors New Clothes. Illustrations in this edition was very entertaining.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
The Starbright version is a fantastic take on the classic story - with plenty of humour and great contributions by celebrity writers and the best of children's illustrators.
This may seem ridiculous but I read this as a kid and I read it over and over and over and over. The words are practically memorized. I loved that book!!!!!!!!!!!
Linda marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Zack Reagin
Zack Reagin marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Karen Dimapilis
Karen Dimapilis marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Anita added it
Aug 11, 2015
Aiyah marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Tiffanie Dang
Tiffanie Dang marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Meghan marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Adventures of Abdi
  • Political Ponerology
  • Pete the Sheep-Sheep
  • Cat
  • Museum ABC
  • National Geographic Visual History of the World
  • The Presidential Difference: Leadership Style from FDR to George W. Bush (Second Edition)
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley
  • Mrs. Armitage: Queen of the Road
  • The Collapse of Western Civilization: A View from the Future
  • Inside Islam: The Faith, the People and the Conflicts of the World's Fastest Growing Religion
  • Mieko and the Fifth Treasure