Start by marking “Biblioteca do século XXI” as Want to Read:
Biblioteca do século XXI

Biblioteca do século XXI

Contains three essays: "One Human Minute," "The Upside-Down Revolution ," and "The World as Cataclysm" - from science fiction master Stanislaw Lem.
Published 1991 by Editorial Estampa (first published November 24th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Biblioteca do século XXI, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biblioteca do século XXI

Evan
Oct 23, 2008 Evan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These aren't stories, or even essays: they are secular sermons, similar in effect perhaps like the ones people in the Renaissance attended for education and entertainment, and Lem is like a secular divine. He considers the human place in the universe, between life and death, and entwined in the drama of civilization. Just marvelous.
0rkun
Oct 22, 2015 0rkun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kitap değil, bir deneyim aslında bu. Okuduğum en ilginç deneyimdi diyebilirim o yüzden.

Kitap 3 ayrı kısımdan oluşuyor. Özellikle ilk iki bölüm için konuşacak olursam Lem'in aklına hayran kalmamak elde değil.
KristenR
This volume had 3 essays, each with an interesting concept.

One Human Minute: Lem has styled this piece as a book review...of a book that hasn't been written. One Human Minute is apparently a Guinness Book of World Records that is completely mundane, yet also amped up on steroids. Imagine a book that is full of tables upon tables and graphs and charts about everything that happens on earth per minute. How many babies are born, how many people get struck by lightning, how many people are tortured
Rich Meyer
Dec 04, 2014 Rich Meyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
An interesting trio of science fiction-tinged essays by one of the great science fiction writers. The title refers to one about a book that covers what happens on the planet every minute, and how the book is updated and computerized until it becomes a power unto itself. The other essays follow the search for intelligent life and the chances for finding it, and a look at the history of warfare from the point-of-view of a book from 2150, and manages to make some pretty accurate predictions.
Story
Oct 30, 2014 Story rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Closer in imaginative endeavor to Le Guin's Always Coming Home (an archaeology of a culture that maybe one day will have existed along the coast of Northern California), these three short pieces begin with a review of a book that hasn't been written, and in so doing weighs matters of human disconnection and experience in Lem's sharp, bitter, and deliciously humorous fashion. A delight, one that, as a reader, one must work for.
Elias Siqueiros
I wasn't in the mood for the essay style stories (fake book reviews) but Lem won me over fairly quickly. The high point for me was the second story, The Upside Down Evolution, which in a way focuses on the rise of nanotechnology and a sort of world nanowar. Masterful work.
Jen
May 21, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled on this trawling the stacks at college. Absolutely one of my favorite books of all time.
Evan Fillon
Sep 04, 2014 Evan Fillon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended. Terrifying and funny, something I could really feel exercising fun parts of my brain/imagination. I want a friend to read this so we can talk about it.
Shane
Oct 16, 2010 Shane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, read-in-2010
Read this a couple weeks ago but forgot to post it. Lem is insane (as usual). The first "story" is about a book that is similar to an almanac except that it contains statistics on EVERYTHING that happens on the earth every minute. Then there's one on Aliens and the probability which I thought was really cool because I always say, "With so many stars there has to be other life." But he starts doing the math on the conditions under which life arose here and you start to lose hope. The other story ...more
Scott
Jan 02, 2017 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title track "one human minute" reminds me of a Borges story. It's about a book that describes all human experience on earth over the course of 1 minute and the philosophy behind such a book and how dark and disturbing it would be - right now, every minute of every day - thousands of people are being tortured, thousands are taking their last breath.

Upside Down Evolution is about warfare and its future (which is really prophetic considering it was written in the early 80s)

The World As Catacl
Will
Oct 07, 2013 Will rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember being really impressed when I first read this. Now I don't think it's aged well.

It's difficult to read again, because the nature of the Internet and of modern education is that everything he says about the simultaneity of time and the limited conditions of naturally occurring life (Life as Cataclysm) are things that you could read on a blog post these days. They are not unique thoughts, and the only difference seems to be one of scope -- having to list out everything that is happening
Dee
Mar 29, 2008 Dee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Borges, Calvino, P.K. Dick
Recommended to Dee by: Lem recommends itself to lovers of strange and intellectual work
I feel that everyone must read a couple of this author's works. If for no other reason than to be edu-muh-cated a bit. The fact is science fiction is not merely fun or entertainyly thought provoking, but sometimes there are non-genre works which may still be described as science fiction. I suggest that this very odd little book is such a work.

Lem writes some EXCELLENT science fiction genre works but some of his pieces do deserve much closer reading.
Diego
May 19, 2012 Diego rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un recuento de todo el mundo en 1 minuto, una sátira estadística repleta de datos de que hacemos cada humano en un solo minuto en el mundo, como evolucionamos o involucionamos tal vez a una sociedad donde las computadoras piensan y los hombres no, donde todo la existencia de este universo o otros no es mas que una serie de estadísticas de incertidumbre de Heisenberg.
Kate
May 11, 2014 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: humans, statisticians
Recommended to Kate by: PG 7158 L39 A25 1986
Shelves: essays, time
"No one reads; if someone does read, he doesn't understand; if he understands, he immediately forgets."

"Everyone knows that this Arcadia is inaccessible, but its glow is effective nevertheless."

"To the eternally shooting geyser of semen this edition has added the river of milk that flows from the breasts of women all over the world into the mouths of infants."
Aureo
Aug 31, 2012 Aureo rated it really liked it
Strange...must...re...read!
Donald
Nov 09, 2012 Donald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only Lem could make you see the world this way. A must read.
John Rachel
Sep 17, 2012 John Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better than LSD for expanding human consciousness. A work of genius.
Lolotehe
Mar 09, 2011 Lolotehe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lem writes wonderful reviews of books that don't exist. I'm still amazed to hear that they are making a film of this one. I'm curious as to the plot.
Jason Howlett
This book is composed of book reviews of 3 books that have not been written. Good ideas here, but read like some professor's lecture notes.
Caitlin
One Human Minute by Stanislaw Lem (1986)
Amberae
May 29, 2009 Amberae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely adore Lems works. His descriptions can transport anyone away to alien planets and alternate dimensions.
Michael Boegl
Michael Boegl rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2017
Elliott
Elliott rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2014
John Bishop
John Bishop rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2011
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it liked it
May 08, 2015
Karl
Karl rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2009
Shimon Edelman
Shimon Edelman rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2012
Michael Sadowski
Michael Sadowski rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2013
Riku
Riku rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Gregory Bart
Gregory Bart rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
  • Confessions of a Raving, Unconfined Nut: Misadventures in Counter-Culture
  • Can You Feel Anything When I Do This?
  • Manhood of Humanity
  • Low Flying Aircraft And Other Stories
  • Starshine
  • The Steam-Driven Boy and Other Strangers
  • The Collected Stories of Greg Bear
  • The Edifice Complex: How the Rich and Powerful--and Their Architects--Shape the World
  • Wandering Stars: An Anthology of Jewish Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • Vermeer in Bosnia: Selected Writings
  • Contos do Gin-Tonic
  • Critical Mass: Four Decades of Essays, Reviews, Hand Grenades, and Hurrahs
  • The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction
  • The Adding Machine: Selected Essays
Stanisław Lem (staˈɲiswaf lɛm) was a Polish science fiction, philosophical and satirical writer of Jewish descent. His books have been translated into 41 languages and have sold over 27 million copies. He is perhaps best known as the author of Solaris, which has twice been made into a feature film. In 1976, Theodore Sturgeon claimed that Lem was the most widely read science-fiction writer in the w ...more
More about Stanisław Lem...