Start by marking “As the Pig Turns (Agatha Raisin, #22)” as Want to Read:
As the Pig Turns (Agatha Raisin, #22)

Read Excerpt

As the Pig Turns (Agatha Raisin #22)

3.59  ·  Rating Details ·  3,319 Ratings  ·  412 Reviews

Winter Parva is a “picturesque” (touristy) Cotswold village with gift shops, a medieval market hall, and thatched cottages. After a disappointing Christmas season, the parish council has decided to hold a special event in January, complete with old-fashioned costumes, morris dancing, and a pig roast on the village green.

Always one for a good roasting, Agatha Raisin organi

Published October 11th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about As the Pig Turns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As the Pig Turns

Barbara
Nov 28, 2016 Barbara rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-challenge

Private detective Agatha Raisin - a stout fiftyish Englishwoman with small bear-like eyes and shiny brown hair - lives alone in Carsley, a pretty village in the Cotswolds. In this 22nd book in the series, business is slow and Agatha is bored - so she takes some friends and employees to nearby Winter Parva for a festive pig roast. As the pig is being basted, Agatha notices that the porker has a tattoo that spells out 'Amy.' Stop the roast! Turns out a pig's head has been attached to a hu
Annette
Aug 15, 2012 Annette rated it it was ok
What a terrible shame.What once was a brilliantly executed set of funny , believable and well written stories has finally come to an end.I say this because the last few novels in the series have just been utter rubbish .Sorry to those that still think they are brilliant but in my honest opinion they have lost all what made them good .

Ive read every single one of MC Beatons Agatha Raisin series and they have got progressively worse and this one is no exception.

A thrown together plot that lost its
Nancy
Sep 01, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
I am convinced that MC Beaton does not use a plotting outline when she sits down to writer her books in the Agatha Raisin series. Any book that begins with Mrs. Bloxby convinced that her husband is having an affair, an idea that is never revisited, and ends with the Bulgarian mafia, leaves the reader wondering if there is any pre-thought or just the ramblings of a bored writer.

The Agatha Raisin series is one that I revisit often since there is no deep thought needed to get through them. The same
Cynthia K
Mar 27, 2012 Cynthia K rated it liked it
Shelves: won-in-giveaway
Although I am a big fan of British mysteries, I had not read any of the novels featuring Agatha Raisin. Jumping into the series at the 22nd installment colored my opinion of the book. I should note that the reason I am encountering this author/character for the first is that I won a copy of this book from a Goodreads giveaway.

It was a good story, but I was distracted by trying to keep up with the characters. In addition to the suspects and those people associated with the killers, I had to sort
Kwoomac
After reading the blurb on the back of the book, I thought I was going to just love this character: "Agatha (Raisin) is like Miss Marple with a drinking problem, a pack-a-day habit, and major man lust." The protagonist, Agatha Raisin, is a 50-something detective working in an English village. It turns out she's not as spunky as I was expecting and she's not really a terribly clever detective. (view spoiler) ...more
Mayda
Dec 07, 2011 Mayda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozies
Agatha Raisin is at it again in this newest installment of M. C. Beaton’s wonderful series. Poor Agatha never seems to be in the right place at the right time. Either she is miserable because she is alone and lonely, or she is literally falling over dead bodies in public places. Agatha is good soul at heart, even though she sometimes fails to do the right thing. But watching her get in and out of scrapes is half the fun of reading an Agatha Raisin mystery, and the other half is seeing if you can ...more
Nancy
Oct 14, 2014 Nancy rated it did not like it
I won As the Pig Turns in a goodreads giveaway and was excited about my introduction to a "New York Times Bestselling" mystery author. Maybe the that tag line raised my hopes too high.

This book is populated with plenty of "characters" and is fast paced with lots of twists and turns. Unfortunately the scenes felt thrown together and the story lacked the thread of truth that makes a work of fiction enjoyable. There was no character I could like or root for.

Perhaps this is a series that only wor
MiniSagas
Peggy
Jul 03, 2012 Peggy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-england
#22 in the Agatha Raisin series, one of the few books I can read in a day. Very light, but funny and somehow you have sympathy for Agatha in spite of her rudeness, and lack of growth and self-awareness. The plot of this one is a little convoluted, but all the familiar secondary characters are present and accounted for.
John Frankham
Feb 21, 2014 John Frankham rated it did not like it
Shelves: crime-detective
How could I have allowed myself to read another of these absurd books: badly written, poor characterization of caricatured stock personnel, lazy repetitive plots, unlikeable heroine. But I know I'll probably read another. Why?
Claude
Jul 07, 2013 Claude rated it liked it
Quite enjoyable. However I'm wondering. Wasn't Simon an orphan in one of the previous installments? Well, in As The Pig Turns both his parents were suddenly alive again. Sloppy plotting?
Caroline Venables
Nov 22, 2016 Caroline Venables rated it liked it
I am enjoying the Agatha Raisin series of books. However I didn't start at the beginning but I've found it easy enough to jump in and pick up bits and pieces.

This story follows Agatha as she tries to find the murderer of a disliked policeman.

I find all the Agatha books I've read so far very easy reads. They are fast paced and although somewhat some of it is very far fetched, they make for an enjoyable read.
Catherine
Oct 11, 2016 Catherine rated it really liked it
It started out just OK. The mystery was hard to follow since too many people were involved in bits. The story reminds me of old school assignments where an idea was written down, the passed to another to add to it . After quiet a few exter ideas the story come to an end. I might be tempted to read another, but not now.
Gerry
May 02, 2015 Gerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is intended to be a special January event of a pig roast on the village green at Winter Parva turns out to be the beginning of a murder investigation. And Agatha Raisin is, once again, at the centre of it all.

The pig that is to be roasted turns out to be something else, a dead police officer, and as it is Agatha who alerts the authorities to the possibilities, she is quickly pulled in for questioning by the police. Her friend in the force Bill Wong makes it clear that she should keep away f
Anne
May 14, 2016 Anne rated it it was amazing
An unusual title, and a quirky story, as would be expected from an Agatha Raisin tale. Nothing is as first appears, some strange twists and turns and fascinating characters.

It all begins with a hog roast in Winter Parva, attended by Agatha and her assistant, Toni. Eagle eyed Agatha soon spots something sinister about spit pig (adorned with tattoos that Agatha recognises). This is the body of a policeman, Gary Beech, with few friends and numerous enemies, Agatha is soon on the case and with the h
Kathy
Oct 30, 2011 Kathy rated it it was amazing
I love love love the Agatha Raisin series by M.C. Beaton. There is no better way to while away an afternoon than with Agatha Raisin. Agatha is a loud, brash, overwhelming but endearing middle aged British woman who happens to constantly stumble across murders and mysteries. She lives in the quiet bucolic Cotswold area in a lovely cottage with her two pet cats...who really do love her. She has stumbled across and solved so many mysteries that she opened up her own detective agency.

Agatha thinks s
Ellie
As The Pig Turns by M.C. Beaton is the 22nd entry in Beaton's Agatha Raisin series. I love Beaton, I love Agatha (curmudgeonly though she is) and I loved this book.

The pig turning on a spit turns out be a dead policeman, hated by all who knew him, including Agatha whom he had recently fine for taking her hands off the wheel of her car (parked) to blow her nose. The book has a great deal more plot than many of Beaton's books and I found it exciting and fun. I enjoyed all the members of Agatha's d
Gregandemy
Won this on Goodread's first reads giveaways!

So not my kind of book. I don't really enjoy these chick-lit mysteries to begin with and this one fit right into that category. Crazy plot, unlikeable characters, little suspense. I found Agatha Raisin to be overbearing, rude, and boy-crazy which is an odd characteristic in an older professional woman. There are some characters in the book that I never did figure out how they were connected to her, other then they kept showing up at her house. Must be
Jenny L
Sep 26, 2013 Jenny L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
Read them! All of them. All 23. They are simply fabulous! I love them and love Agatha Raisin. The stories are set in the English Cotswolds - which is where I'm from, so that makes them extra special, but I cannot recommend them highly enough. If you want to read about an opinionated, outspoken, headstrong single woman in her middle years with no money worries, but men worries and murder at every turn, then you too will love Agatha Raisin. Just make sure you buy more than one at a time, because ...more
Gail
Oct 13, 2011 Gail rated it did not like it
I won this book in a First Reads free giveaway. They sent such a lovely note with the book when I received it 2 days ago. First time I received a note with one of my wins. I really appreciated that. Thanks. They also recommended a website that I need to check out...www.agatharaisin.com Can't wait to read the book!
It was a good thing I got this book for free. I was very disappointed in it. It is nothing like the other mysteries I like to read. This book was really strange and uninteresting.
Jessie
This was not the best Agatha Raisin book by far. At times it felt as if the author was "phoning it in." Many of the occurrances were just not plausible. There were too many subplots which add little or nothing to the series as a whole. The ending felt as if the author said "Oops! I'm on page 300. Better wrap this up!" There were unresolved loose ends. The last chapter feels like the first chapter of the next book.
Kathy
Agatha Raisin continues to be one of my favorite cozy mystery lead characters. From her brash habit of saying just what she thinks and solving murders when the police are clueless to her unlucky obsessions with men who let her down, Agatha is a force that one would be wise to have in his/her corner. M.C. Beaton has kept this series fresh and entertaining throughout, and those of us who love Agatha can't wait to see what hot water she immerses herself into next.
Wendy
Oct 09, 2011 Wendy rated it it was ok
I won this book on Goodreads giveaways. The best part about mystery books for me is trying to figure out who did it as the book goes along, but in this book they give you no clues as to who may have done it and why. I also found myself lost on fallowing the story at times. That is way I would have to say this is not one of my favorite mystery books. Maybe, since this is #22 in the series I need to start at number one.
Jennifer Nichols
Apr 13, 2015 Jennifer Nichols rated it it was ok
I enjoy this mindless series, but this one had a glaring mistake that kept bugging me the whole book. Last book introduced Simon, a character i enjoyed whose parents were recently killed in a car accident. In this one he comes back, but his parents are alive and are wealthy and spoil him. I'm generally willing to suspend all disbelief, but continuity is important.
Millie Taylor
Nov 15, 2011 Millie Taylor rated it did not like it
This is the first Agatha Raisin book I have read. I usually like "cozy" books, but was very disappointed in M.C. Beaton's writing. I find Agatha a throughly unlikable person with no redeeming qualitites. Likewise, I did not find anything interesting about any of her staff or so-called friends. And there was little or no description of the police force. Will not read any more of her books.
Rosalie
Apr 01, 2016 Rosalie rated it it was ok
That's it. I refuse to read any more of these. The politics are atrocious, the writing is trashy. The only reason I persisted is that they are read by Penelope Keith, Agatha has a bizarre attraction because she is so awful and they are mindless fodder for driving.
Jun 15, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: cosy-mystery
Entertaining light reading, enjoyable as always. Agatha Raisin is an awful bitch, but so likeable. However, I noticed several mistakes and discrepancies in this novel: I'm rather surprised Mrs Beaton/Cheyney's publisher didn't get them corrected before printing.
Tammy
Jan 07, 2016 Tammy rated it liked it
This book was a mess from beginning to end

I've been reading series for awhile

1 day to read

No I would not buy it
Dagny
Dec 07, 2014 Dagny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beaton-m-c, read-2013
Probably actually 3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed it, but it seemed there were just too many unlikable side characters for my taste.
Dichotomy Girl
May 18, 2012 Dichotomy Girl rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, 2012
I either need to accept the fact that the characters in these books are never going to change or evolve, or I NEED TO STOP READING THEM!
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Gone West (Daisy Dalrymple, #20)
  • Murder On Monday
  • Eleven Pipers Piping (Father Christmas Mystery #2)
  • Aunt Dimity Down Under (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #15)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Murder at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #1)
  • A Rose Before Dying (Second Sons, #2)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)

“Clever plastic surgery can restore an appearance of youth, but nothing changes the expression of age and experience in the eyes.” 20 likes