Start by marking “Tintin Young Readers Edition: Tintin in America (Tintin, #3)” as Want to Read:
Tintin Young Readers Edition: Tintin in America (Tintin, #3)

Tintin Young Readers Edition: Tintin in America (Tintin #3)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  7,299 ratings  ·  182 reviews
This new format, crafted specifically for younger readers, features the original Tintin graphic novel plus brand-new content. Go "behind the scenes" with the true story about people, places and antiquities that Hergé drew from, filled with fun facts, lots of pictures, and easy-to-read text! In this adventure: Tintin comes to the U.S.A. to clean up the mean streets of Chica ...more
Published October 24th 2011 by Little, Brown Young Readers (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Tintin Young Readers Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tintin Young Readers Edition

Melki
Gangsters, machine guns and police brutality!

Welcome to the good ole U.S. of A., Tintin!

On a mission to clean up corruption in Chicago, Tintin is kidnapped, shot at, gassed, tossed in a lake, and clubbed by a copper. Then it's onward to the Redskin Reservation to make fun of some Native Americans. Here Tintin, the little towheaded Paleface, is shot at some more, trapped in a tunnel, and manages to discover oil. (Don't worry - oil company men instantly materialize to reap the profits and screw th
Neil
My first taste of Tintin... I can see the cheeky appeal.

There isn't much plot here, just a long series of narrow escapes, some through clever planning, but most by dumb luck. Yes, the attitudes on race are badly dated, but I think it's at least a little tongue-in-cheek. In other cases, the attitudes of the time are refreshing. There isn't much of it, but the political and social commentary, when it comes into the story, is still fresh all these years later.

My favorite bit was when a hotel detec
Mohammed
Re-reading Tintin series is special experience to me, he was the comics hero i rated highly when i came to Sweden as a kid. Of course i cant remember much from the actual stories now other than i liked the over the top fun,adventure.

Rating this as an adult is different and i thought this volume was a clear improvement on the black and white early,immature artwork of the first volume Tintin in Soviet and the weird,off putting animal slaughterhouse that is Tintin in Congo.

This volume the art is mu
Harish Kumar Sarma Challapalli
This is the first color edition of tin tin!!

As I have read few latest editions than these, I felt that it is not like those!! All the adventures in the latest editions are wonderful and tin tin escapes from them by his intelligence and spontaneity, where as in this one it is more of luck!!

Also the cartoons are too geeky and the narration was boring at some times!! Nevertheless the brand name of tin tin will make u read it completely and entertains u well!!
Catherine Woodman
We love the Tin Tin series since we traveled through the Loire. Although it begins with a precise date (1931) and location (Chicago) and features a real historical figure (Al Capone), 'Tintin In America' is Herge's tribute to the mythical America of dime novels and silent serials (especially gangster stories and Westerns). There's a real 'Perils Of Pauline' quality to Tintin's misadventures, which see the young reporter and his faithful terrier Snowy attempt to clean Chicago of gangsters, and wh ...more
David Sarkies
Feb 04, 2012 David Sarkies rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Diehard Tintin Fans (can be ignored)
Recommended to David by: Herge
Shelves: adventure
This is not really my favourite Tintin story, though it is only the third one ever written. The story appears to be set immediately after Tintin in the Congo and it is suggested (it has been a long time since I read a Tintin in the Congo, if I ever actually read it in English) so I can only garner from what was said about it at the beginning of this story, namely that Tintin busted a diamond smuggling ring in the Congo and then travelled to the United States to clean up the rest of the mess.
Th
Vlad
While it's one of the earlier Tintins, this one already bears many classic hallmarks of the series. Tintin is in constant danger, and always escapes by the skin of his teeth. In many instances, the reason for his escape is something wonderfully ridiculous and improbable. Oh, and these occur every few pages! While it might seem contrived and repetitive at first (and it is!), one quickly realizes that it is also a large part of the humor and appeal of Tintin.

The comics never take themselves serio
Melanie Soble
1. This book would fall under the category of a junior book, graphic novel.
2. Tintin is a reporter who somehow gets out of extremely sticky situations. It is set in 1931 in Chicago where Tintin manages to chase down gangsters across the Midwest.
3. critique
a. As far as graphic novels go, this book is not that great. The characters lack development and the plot is pretty lame.
b. Graphic novels often lack the depth of character development, but this book goes seems to lack even a bit of develop
Jake
This book was so lazily written. Everything was soooooo convenient. Tintin should died, like, ten times. Oh, Tintin's been tied to metal and dropped into the sea? Nevermind. It was accidentally made of wood. Oh, Tintin is tied to railroad tracks? Nevermind. Some lady stopped the train because she saw a puma maul a deer. Tintin needs a way out of the room! Oh, there's a secret door. Tintin needs to find the criminal! Oh, he bumped into him in the desert. It'd be insulting to the reader if it wasn ...more
Julian Meynell
Tintin in America is very early Tintin. I wanted to give an early work by Hergé a try to see what his progress was as a writer and artist. From reading this one, it is clear that Hergé improved as he went along. The plot of this one really amounts to no more than Tintin goes to America to investigate the mob. The mob get wind of this and repeatedly attempt to capture, kill or scare off Tintin. Tintin repeatedly foils these plans, mostly through lucky accident.

The merits of Herge as a writer are
Tom Donaghey
I recently picked up four stories that were friends of mine when I was in sixth grade. I had wandered into the school library and was browsing. At the time I wasn’t a big reader, but that changed when I came across the Adventures Of Tintin.
I borrowed one, then another and soon had read through every collection the library had in stock. Those books led me to other action/adventure books and I was soon consuming stories at an alarming rate. Not so much so as to interfere with playing baseball, b
Andrea Ika
Book Review : Tintin in America (1932)

Hergé #review2014

Tintin in America (1932)
by Hergé (Author)

The boy hero comes to the United States and triumphs over gangsters in Chicago of the 1930's and the pitfalls of the wild West.

Review
Tintin in America continues with the theme of Al Capone introduced in "Tintin in the Congo," but the greater part of the story revolves around other Chicago gangsters of the early 1930s

This comic book looks like a short fun read for those of all ages, which it is. This b
Indah Threez Lestari
#Program BUBU

"Dengar baik-baik... Tintin, wartawan nomor satu dunia akan datang ke sini untuk bersih-bersih. Ini gawat! Dia meringkus perdagangan gelap berlian di Congo dan memasukkan orang-orangku ke penjara... Jadi dia tidak boleh menghabiskan satu hari pun di Chicago... Oke?"

Demikian arahan A.C. eh Al Capone pada anak buahnya pada halaman pertama panel kedua komik ini. Bersih-bersih? Dikata cleaning service apa? Kalau begini jadi bingung sebenarnya Tintin itu cuma wartawan seleb atau interpol
Andrea

This is my summer of reading Proust and Tintin! I bought the whole selection of Tintin that were available. These have action, adventure, and humor! Snowy the dog is my favorite character. You never outgrow these stories as far as I am concerned. I look forward to reading more and I am pleased to have these books as the shelves where they reside in our local library are empty! Need, I say more?!?
Michael
A disappointing start to the Tintin series. A simplistic series of incidents strung together by unlikely coincidences onto a threadbare plot. Tintin is one-dimensional and uninteresting in this story.

I know that the series gets better as I read some of the later ones to my children when they were younger. Therefore, I will persevere and hope that Hergé hits his stride quickly.
Kim
Things are getting closer to the Tintin I remember. Still a bit of stereotyping going on but at least the white Americans weren't portrayed as being the nice guys. This time Tintin travels to America to investigate the mobs whose activities he disrupted in the Congo. A bit shorter than the first books and the first in colour. Onwards to the next adventure!
Germancho
Let's be honest, this is not an informed book: Herge had never been to America before drawing it. However, it has a high documentary value as a window to a time when Europe viewed the US with suspicion and more than a bit of contempt. It also shows Herge's more personal views towards big business and ruthless capitalism.
Patrick Fisackerly
Apr 10, 2011 Patrick Fisackerly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
While this still is more episodic than the later Tintin stories, this was a vast improvement in both storytelling and humor over the first Tintin installment. Sure, there are some unfortunate stereotypes (especially in the first edition), but I really enjoyed the hell out of it.
Julia
This is an early Tintin but one of the first where Herge did some research on the subject rather than just going with stereotypes of the day. A lot of lucky coincidences save the day for our boy hero and his dog.
Ash
I hardly remember anything. Read Tintin so many yrs back, maybe some 14 yrs back?! Rereading the whole series.. And thoroughly enjoying again :)
Kate
Another super-racist Tintin, this one wasn't all that memorable for me. I probably only read it 20 times, whereas favorites got a good 50 rereads.
Susan
This comic is a classic, first published in 1932. And it definitely shows its age. In particular, its treatment of the "Redskins" is incredibly insulting. Then again, nearly everyone in the entire comic seems to be rather inept, simply there as foils for Tintin and his dog Snowy: the Chicago gangsters mess up repeatedly, the cops accomplish nothing. If you can set aside the stereotypes, all Tintin's narrow escapes become rather funny. But I don't think I'd recommend this book to any children I k ...more
Dan Wilson
One of the earlier Tintin stories. It's fun as an American to see Herge's 1932 perspective on the U.S. decades before he ever visited. His publisher was mostly interested in a portrayal of the U.S. as a den of vice, crime, and corruption, centered on Al Capone and the Chicago Mob. So there's plenty of that, but Herge was interested in Native Americans, so the characters and story veer off into the West. Here we get a good dose of the Orientalist racist stereotyping that seems to be the basis for ...more
Kris
Jan 22, 2012 Kris rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grown-up Tintin fans
This is a collection of the early black-and-white newspaper/magazine strips as they originally appeared. Most of the English-language Tintin books feature re-drawn art and somewhat re-worked stories, and that is probably better for most readers. The original black-and-white format is mostly of interest to adult collectors or others interested in the history of this popular series.

These are uncensored comic strips from a period when racial stereotyping was the norm, and Tintin in America is among
Sammy
Helmut
Nur für Komplettisten

Dieser dritte Band der Tintin-Reihe teilt sich sein Schicksal mit den ersten (Au pays des Soviets und Tintin au Congo) beiden Bänden - hier sucht ein Autor seine Stimme. Es fehlen die Dinge, die die späteren Tintin-Bände so unverwechselbar und einzigartig machen: ein klarer Handlungsfaden, stimmige Charakterisierungen, clevere Ideen. "En Amérique" liest sich mehr wie eine Aneinanderreihung verrückter Ereignisse, und, auch wenn die üblichen Stereotypen hier nicht so sehr in
Andrian Liu
Mainly,this book is about Tintin going to Chicago and when he went off the train a taxi kidnapped him and the gangsters planned to eliminate Tintin before he spoils their secrets but Tintin managed to escape and gone to his hotel in his hotel some gangsters tried to assassinate him but they failed the police caught most of the gangsters but the boss of the gangsters bobby smiles is still on the loose.
soon Tintin captures him and sends him to the police after that they had a ceremony that is when
Harsh Rakesh
This is my first Tintin and Snowy book. It doesn't mean that I was not aware of world's number one reporter, but I read his graphic novel for the first time. I must say that I know one thing about Hergé that he was a man who believed in faith. A lot of instances in the book where Tintin got away with the adverse situations by fate (the skies were his escape from Lake Michigan). I wanted to love the book as much as I loved the animated series (yes, I am the lucky 1990s born). Snowy definitely has ...more
Matthew Hunter
Other than some cringe-worthy moments in Herge's handling of Native Americans, Tintin in America is an entertaining and often funny read. I find it hilarious that Herge had not visited the U.S. before creating this story, so he chose to focus on popular movie themes--gangsters and the Wild West. Certainly in 1931, the U.S. wasn't much like Herge's version. Herge doesn't earn any points for realism. However, he does deserve credit for astute cultural analysis and meaningful social commentary.

My f
Nicholas Whyte
This is one of the three pre-war Tintin books which are not in general circulation in English, and for fairly good reason; it's not all that good. Tintin goes to America in 1931, briefly captures Al Capone (who was still just about at liberty in real life at that stage), is himself captured by the Blackfoot tribe, and then has a series of unlikely and disjointed adventures ending with him rolling up the entire Chicago Syndicate of Gansters and sent back to Belgium as a hero. The only African-Ame ...more
TinTin Books: Tintin cover fetches record-breaking 1.3m euros 4 16 Jun 13, 2012 10:15PM
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
  • Astérix in Spain (Asterix, #14)
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics
More about Hergé...
Tintin in Tibet (Tintin, #20) Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin, #1) Red Rackham's Treasure (Tintin, #12) The Secret of the Unicorn (Tintin, #11) Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin, #4)