Start by marking “100 Words Almost Everyone Confuses and Misuses” as Want to Read:
100 Words Almost Everyone Confuses and Misuses

100 Words Almost Everyone Confuses and Misuses

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The 100 Words series continues to set the standard for measuring and improving vocabulary, with a new title focusing on words that are best known for getting people into linguistic trouble. 100 Words Almost Everyone Confuses and Misuses is the perfect book for anyone seeking clear and sensible guidance on avoiding the recognized pitfalls of the English language.

Each word o
Published September 10th 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about 100 Words Almost Everyone Confuses and Misuses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Words Almost Everyone Confuses and Misuses

Caroline
Slim but information dense, this book is a good complement to The Elements of Style, although not as good as that one. Explanations are succinct and easy to understand (one per page), and there's plenty to learn here, even for the experienced writer and the widely read. The only drawback is that some sections could use further explanation.

Some misused words covered

-"gender" vs. "sex"

-"aggravate" vs. "irritate"

-"all right" vs. "alright"

-"infer" vs. "imply"

-"which" vs. "that"

All serious writers a
Suzanne
It is true that most words in this book are often confused and misused, but for readers who might struggles with word usage this book will do little to enlighten them. Most of the example sentences are archaic, lengthy, and/or include lofty language and foreign concepts that will be lost on the exact type of reader that this book is meant to attract. For example:

DISCRETE - constituting a separate thing.

"Although hypertext may well turn out to be no more than an amusing detour in the history of
Markham Anderson
Ridiculous. I expected to learn from this book, but it did nothing to enhance my linguistic skills.

Certainly, I understood, the title was not meant to include all the population of the earth, since most people in China do not use the words listed in the book, and understanding that it was exaggerated, I assumed that 'everyone' in the title referred to every person who would actually pick up a book to read. I would be appalled if most literate people misused even half of these words (though I kno
AF
Dec 22, 2008 AF rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: idiots
Shelves: reference
For the love of (insert deity here), this book should be required reading to graduate high school. I might even go so far as to say "to graduate 5th grade", since the importance of knowing the differences between lie, lay, lying and lies (isn't there a "lain" in there too?) cannot be ignored. Sorry, I'm an occasional grammar snob.

Also, it's never too early (or too late!) to know that mischievous only has 3 syllables.
Amanda
Another in the series.

This one was interesting more to see things I hadn't quite pieced together as being problematic. I only had three things that stood out to me and now I've got them down. But I loved the time spent wandering through it. Looking at where words came from and some of the quotes of people using the words, or misusing the words previously.
Karna Converse
I like this series from America Heritage Dictionaries and now have four of the eight books. The format is easy to follow and includes etymologies as well as examples of usage. I especially like the pronunciation key and am surprised at how many words I mispronounce!
Mia
100? It should have been TEN thousand. I didn't realize how, STUPID, I was. I confuse and misuse a LOT of words. I think I should read this book twice or maybe even ten times. At least after the first reading I felt a little "smarter". :)
Nichole
A good ready reference for writers, but it could be better. Listings are strictly alphabetical. It would be better if the confused words were listed together, twice, saving the writer some time in consulting the book.
Lindsay
Not as interesting as "100 Words Every Word Lover Should Know", but it was enjoyable and SO true.

I wish everyone in the world knew when to use "there", "their", and "they're".
Kelly Bania
It wasn't as entertaining as I thought it would be and I was hoping to have it arranged on more of a comparative basis as opposed to alphabetical.
Danny
Very helpful. Explains lots of words and helps set you strait on the definitions of 100 words. Useful for just about anyone.
Don
I don't really know how to speak English well...or is it good.
Karl
Sep 27, 2013 Karl added it
Shelves: 2013
Elementary.
Vanna Bells
Vanna Bells marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Rica
Rica marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Alicia White
Alicia White marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Steve Holland
Steve Holland marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
SD
SD marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Tina Denson
Tina Denson marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Sarah Mansfield
Sarah Mansfield marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Brian Gaudette
Brian Gaudette marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Common Errors in English Usage
  • The Grammar Devotional: Daily Tips for Successful Writing from Grammar Girl
  • Lapsing Into a Comma: A Curmudgeon's Guide to the Many Things That Can Go Wrong in Print--and How to Avoid Them
  • List Your Self: Listmaking as the Way to Self-Discovery
  • I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like: A Comprehensive Compilation of History's Greatest Analogies, Metaphors, and Similes
  • 8,789 Words of Wisdom
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • My Grammar and I... Or Should That Be Me?: How to Speak and Write It Right
  • How to Write Tales of Horror, Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • Love Listography: Your Love Life in Lists
  • Caught in the Web of Words: James Murray and the Oxford English Dictionary
  • What I Love About You
  • Accomodating Brocolli in the Cemetary: Or Why Can't Anybody Spell
  • Author Unknown: Tales of a Literary Detective
  • It Was the Best of Sentences, It Was the Worst of Sentences: A Writer's Guide to Crafting Killer Sentences
  • The Highly Selective Thesaurus for the Extraordinarily Literate
  • To-Do List: From Buying Milk to Finding a Soul Mate, What Our Lists Reveal About Us
  • Complete Plain Words
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language 100 Words To Make You Sound Smart 100 Words Every Word Lover Should Know 100 Words Every Middle Schooler Should Know 100 Words Every High School Graduate Should Know