100 Questions Every First-Time Home Buyer Should Ask

100 Questions Every First-Time Home Buyer Should Ask

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  32 reviews
From the most trusted name in real estate, here is the latest edition of the indispensable guide that helps first-time buyers land the home of their dreams.

Ilyce R. Glink has established herself as America’s most trusted real estate expert. In this new, fully revised and updated edition of the book that made her a household name, Glink offers more than 100 pages of new mat...more
Published May 24th 2005 by Three Rivers Press (first published March 1st 1994)

Carly
Oct 01, 2007 Carly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: first time homebuyers
This book is the bomb. It's true, the best way to learn what you need to know to buy a house is to ask people who have bought one. However, there is SO much you need to know that it really helps to have this book on hand as a reference. I recommend buying it, not just getting it out from the library. I read it cover to cover last winter and since then I've gone back to reference it oh, about five million times. And now I'm about to buy a house and I still keep looking back for pointers. The form...more
I found this in the local Goodwill Store for $0.99 and read it in one afternoon. Easy-breezy.
Despite the fact that this book is rather outdated (it was published in 1994), I was AMAZED by how much I learned. This little book will definitely be a helpful guide/reference as we consider buying a home in the crazed Southern California market.
Wendy
This really isn't a book that you want to sit down and read straight through cover-to-cover. (I did read it cover to cover, but it took me well over a year to get all the way through, since I picked it up and put it down as our housing search stopped and started.) It's a set of questions and answers, arranged roughly in the order that someone buying a home for a first time might consider them, starting with "How do I know what I want?" and ending with "How should I prepare for the move into my n...more
Robert Beveridge
Ilyce R. Glink, 100 Questions First-Time Homebuyers Should Ask (Three Rivers Press, 2000)

The title of this book, perhaps, does it something of a disservice. The information to be found here is useful for anyone in the process of looking for a new home. Sure, a good deal of it will be more useful to those who haven't been through the process before (the section on different types of mortgages, and different breeds of mortgage brokers, is likely to be especially helpful), but since buying a new ho...more
David
My coWorker lent this to me as I was figuring out home purchasing. There are so many players, the realtor, the seller, the lender, the seller's agent, and the lawyers involved. Plus, it is the largest purchase I have ever made. This book helped me feel less like a shlamiel throughout the process. It had a lot of clear explanations about the steps in the process with very helpful tips and questions to consider.

It would have been more helpful to have a book written after the housing market crash...more
Arminzerella
As a first-time home buyer, I found this immensely helpful. Even though it was published in the 1990s, it's still very relevant. Do check for legal and local updates, but if you've never purchased a home before, this will give you a good idea of what is involved in the process.
Jessica
This was recommended to us by friends that recently bought their second house (they are currently renting out their first house till they are able to sell it). They had found it to be very helpful.

I have found it to be dated and not as user friendly as I would like. It does have a lot of information, and it has been better than nothing, but it could use a major revision. Every time I have a specific question, I am not able to find an answer in there.

It has not been updated for the current mark...more
Missy
This was a pretty good reference for my six-week crash-course in How to Start Buying a Home. I'm not sure we're going to be buying immediately; more like we were presented with an opportunity and got to see what the market is like at present (For the record: People are still asking for waaay too much for waaay too little, at least in some parts of the San Fernando Valley - it's rather appalling in this economic climate). I imagine I will continue to refer to it over the next year as we continue...more
Janelle
Aug 22, 2010 Janelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: First Time Home Buyers, Those interested in Banking or Real Estate
Shelves: homes
In spite of the changes since this book was published in 2000, I found it informative and even interesting at times. It was also fairly easy to read. I do think the worksheet totaling out what you can afford to spend on a home is a bit draconian, and also a bit too complicated and complex for those of us who aren't deeply interested in banking, mathematics, or real estate, but overall, I would certainly recommend this book to anyone thinking about purchasing their first home.
Polliwog
This is a comprehensive look at the details of buying a home. Though we're not first time buyers, it's been a LONG while, and I felt a review was in order. I like the format of it. Much of it was not new, but there are some excellent details explaining the ins and outs of mortgages, contracts, and so forth. It's a book I'll have to go back to when the time comes, though, because I certainly can't retain all of this information!
Lobstergirl
I read through this entire book before I started househunting seriously. It was quite helpful. If more people had attempted to educate themselves with a book like this we wouldn't be in this huge mortgage fiasco. The book is definitely aimed at house buyers as opposed to condominium buyers; it would be nice if this author could publish the latter too, or at least include a large section on it.
Jen
This was great to have on hand as we were navigating the often-choppy waters of first time home buying. Our Realtor was pretty good, but this book told us about things that she did not. It also helped us prepare for what came next in the process and what to expect.
Highly recommend this book for first time home buyers! I read most of the book before we started the house search, and I feel like I went into it very well informed. It didn't make the house hunt any less frustrating at times, but definitely a good read!
Rachelle
I found this to be a very solid, comprehensive overview of the home-buying process with various hints and tips to keep you sane in the process. I definitely recommend it as a resource for anyone looking to purchase their first house.
Katie Rizzo
I'm really excited at how easy this book is to read cover-to-cover, rather than having to reference it every time I have a question - particularly since I probably wouldn't have thought of half these questions in the first place!
Kathryn
This is the book we used to help us through the process of buying our house, and it has been extremely helpful. All of the weird questions that I thought wouldn't be in there were, in fact, right there!
Olivia
Finished it in the nick of time - 3 days until closing! I feel armed with sufficient knowledge but its overwhelmed by the pressing feeling of 30 years of debt looming over me.
Jules
Very thorough and useful. Lots of real-world scenarios and tips. Clearly explains the more complex concepts and helps you feel comfortable with all the jargon.
Terri Kimbrough
I read this in the year before buying my house. It was quite informative, and with the new shows on HGTV, a property virgin can look knowledgeably.
Ross
Five stars because it does what it set out to do - answer the many questions I have as a (hopefully) soon-to-be first-time home buyer.
This was quite useful in our search to buy a house, but I do wish I had read at least one other book as well to get contrasting opinions.
Adrienne
Very helpful. I finally understand the process and all that home-buying jargon. Too bad I won't be using it any time soon. :(
Jessica
Dec 11, 2008 Jessica is currently reading it
100 questions that have explained to me how I will never have a home. JK, but it's helping me figure out how to get one
Philip
Good but not as good as some others I looked at. The Q&A format got in the way at times.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Sep 21, 2009 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as maybe-read-sometime
I think this was something I checked out for someone else, not something I read myself.
Krista
Dec 03, 2008 Krista added it
reading these two very slowly as i creep towards home ownership
Kiyanda
Great book for first time and repeat home buyers.
Chris
A little simplistic/out-of-date, but helpful.
Sara S.
Indispensable reference for real estate newbies
Viktoriya
The book is very outdated now.
10 Steps to Home Ownership: A Workbook for First-Time Buyers Buy, Close, Move In!: How to Navigate the New World of Real Estate--Safely and Profitably--and End Up with the Home of Your Dreams 50 Simple Steps You Can Take to Improve Your Personal Finances 100 Questions You Should Ask About Your Personal Finances 50 Simple Steps You Can Take to Disaster-Proof Your Finances: How to Plan Ahead to Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones and Survive Any Crisis