Start by marking “Empire of Light” as Want to Read:
Empire of Light

Empire of Light (The Shoal Sequence #3)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  537 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The third novel inThe Shoal Sequencespace opera series continues onfrom Stealing Light and Nova War

The nova waris spreadingas the Emissaries wage a fierce and reckless campaign, encroaching on the area of space occupied by humanity and forcing the Shoal into a desperate retreat. While Dakota Merrickgoes in search of the entity responsible for creating the Maker caches, Cor
Published August 1st 2011 by Pan Macmillan (first published June 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Empire of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empire of Light

Dirk Grobbelaar

When he closed his eyes, all he could see was stars scattered across the void like diamond dust.

Something I found particularly interesting about this trilogy was how the ante was upped considerably with each entry. This novel, which concludes the original Shoal trilogy, is no exception, with its bigger explosions, vaster distances travelled and greater odds to defeat.

‘I watched them use the energy of a nova,’ she explained, ‘just to power a signal to a swarm located in another galaxy.’
Both men s
Mark Zieg
This finale is a must-read, if only to cap-off the excellent Nova War, but unfortunately it was not the strongest of the series. It really needed a major new plot point in the middle third -- some new world or species -- to break up a rather tedious journey that added little interest and distinctly overlapped similar events from the first book. However, the first and final thirds were both pretty good, and Gibson continued to pull in additional ideas and concepts (most drawn from established sci ...more
Martijn Lindeboom
Empire of light is een zeer vermakelijk sfavontuur met geweldige aliens, bedreigingen en een paar memorabele karakters. Maar er zijn ook problemen: af en toe is de stijl hakkelig, alsof er niet genoeg geëdit is, sommige ontwikkelingen duren te lang, andere te kort en ik werd wat grumpy van de 'a little while later' manier van voortgang in het verhaal houden.

Het is zeker geen slecht boek, maar een topper zoals Stealing light is, is Empire helaas niet. Wie weet herpakt Gibson met Marauder dat nive
John
Dakota and a small crew find and deliver to a certain well defended locale an ancient superweapon that just might stop the Emissaries from destroying much of the galaxy. I found myself skipping and skimming, because everything here is so predictable, and the characters seem to have done all their developing in previous episodes. Also, in grand cheating comic book tradition, Gibson keeps killing Dakota off and then miraculously reviving her. This volume finishes the sequence, and though there's a ...more
Jamie
Gavin Brown
After thoroughly enjoying books 1& 2, the 3rd installment of this trilogy was a real disappointment. So much so that I didn't finish it. I felt cheated by big jumps in the plot, and the complete absence of previously prominent characters.

It isn't badly written, but as the final installment of this trilogy, it isn't worthy. Maybe I'll come back to it, but with so many other books on my to-read list it can wait a while.
Liviu
Empire Light was a very good ending to the Shoal trilogy with a hook for another book set in the same milieu some 3000 years later; the novel recreates somewhat the structure of Stealing Light, when after preliminaries, it comes down to Dakota and Julian to save the day again on a starship in enemy territory, while Trader is still around for his usual mischief

While the whole trilogy is a great example of new space opera and it allows one an introduction at 1000 pages rather than deliving in PF
Coan
Fietspomp
Start with part 3. I was abit disappointed. Considered buying the first part. For the moment on hold. Multiple character story but not caching an interest in next developments.
Andreea Pausan
Great finish of the series, when everything is revealed and new battles are fought. What I find extraordinary about this series is how Gibson sets the stage for the introduction of alien species and how believable they are. Even if it's the fish-like Shoal, the bat-like Bandati or the machine minds of the Magi ships, they are consistent and the fact that we can imagine them does not take away any of the strangeness or alienness they possess. More impressive is the ending, when Dakota, the frail, ...more
Arsen Zahray
Martin Waterhouse
I've enjoyed this trilogy - a great epic space opera with loads of alien tech, action and well written characters - but, unfortunately, this final part lost some pace and depth for me. All the colourful villains, ships and political intrigues got left behind (literally) as the core characters went off in search of the Big Weapon; and the journey just lasted way too long I'm afraid. I'd still recommend the series, but only as a fun slice of scifi escapism.
Mike
Have just finished all three books in the trilogy. Bought this on a whim and really enjoyed the ride. Very clever world building and believable characters. It's Space Opera, but of a superior kind and the scope is impressive (both in terms of time and space). My only complaint is that the ending seemed hurried and disjointed and was more concerned with setting the scene for the next trilogy than rounding off the storyline in an emotionally satisfying way.
Kenneth
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the whole trilogy and this book was a fitting and exciting end to it. Any Sci Fi fan is bound to enjoy it.
Eric Brooke
A good ending to the trilogy
I.D. Martin
I enjoyed this because it tied up a lot of loose ends and had Gibson's usual flow which makes for easy reading. But the intensity of Stealing Light was there in patches only and some of the edginess of Dakota was gone. I'm not disappointed but the original promise of the series was diluted.
Nathan Hurst
Much of this book has been seen before, and turns into a 'who dunnit' quite swiftly. That's not to say it's not well crafted and enjoyable but you do tend to wonder where Gibson is going with the next book... and just how big his galactic weapons of mass destruction can actually get.
Will
Loved this series. Although I hope the author does not continue as the last book started to use the same situations from the first book. Whereas you do not know what is happening in the first book, you do in the last. But really enjoyed it!
John
Only finished due to inate curiosity about just how he was going to end it and I wasn't dissappointed as I guessed it from a long way off.

I would not reccomend this series to anyone. unfortunately not one of my better reads.
David
Gibson does not disappoint his readers in this third installment of the Shoal series.
I won't spoil the story by summing it up, but it's interesting to note that this book will not be the last, so it's not a trilogy ;)
Michael
So much better than the first two books. I devoured this one within a couple of days. Much more action and the pacing was very good. The cliffhanger ending is awesome too. Looking forward to more stories.
Tony Maddox
I was quite into the series going into the final book but I felt that the overall conclusion was a bit of a letdown. Still, the trilogy was entertaining and I'll definitely be reading more by Mr Gibson.
Patrick Lee
Ok book. Ending in a way anticlimactic.
Felix
This novel was very thought provoking and had some killer tech as the prior novels did. I think I will try Gary's other novels.
Penny
Well, it was better than the 2nd of the series ... but still ludicrously improbable.
Chas
Got fed up with this series, I suspect the author was also pretty fed up by book 3.
Arthur
Really good series!
Rui
Rui marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
  • Zero Point (Owner Trilogy, #2)
  • Absorption (Ragnarok #1)
  • The Ascendant Stars (Humanity's Fire, #3)
  • School of Fire (Starfist, #2)
  • Boundary (Boundary, #1)
  • The Noise Within (Noise #1)
  • Enemy of My Enemy (Star Trek: Voyager; Spirit Walk, #2)
  • Gardens of the Sun
  • Beneath (Origins Edition, #3)
  • The Endymion Omnibus
  • Timelike Infinity (Xelee Sequence, #2)
Gary Gibson's first novel, Angel Stations, was published in 2004. Interzone called it "dense and involving, puzzling and perplexing. It's unabashed science fiction, with an almost "Golden Age" feel to it ..."

His second novel was Against Gravity in 2005; the Guardian described it as "building on current trends to produce a convincing picture of the world in 2096."

Stealing Light was first published
More about Gary Gibson...
Stealing Light (The Shoal Sequence, #1) Nova War (The Shoal Sequence, #2) Final Days The Thousand Emperors Angel Stations