Start by marking “Tale of a Baseball Dream: World's Greatest Baseball Story” as Want to Read:
Tale of a Baseball Dream: World's Greatest Baseball Story

Tale of a Baseball Dream: World's Greatest Baseball Story

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Tale of A Baseball Dream is the fictitious inspirational story of Dusty Hunter, a young boy who loved to play baseball. Dusty had an incredibly strong desire to become a great baseball player, even though he was undersized, and faced many challenges and disappointments. The story evolves to entwine Dusty's life, with "The Legend of Bubba 'The Brute' Brugosee," who was cons ...more
Published March 5th 2011 by Aardvark Global Pub. Co. (first published April 7th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Tale of a Baseball Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tale of a Baseball Dream

Juan Bosco
Mar 24, 2011 Juan Bosco rated it really liked it
This is a short story that is suggested for young readers, so I approached it letting my inner child take control of the reading experience.
I'm not a big fan of baseball, I actually don't like it that much, but I do enjoy stories of people fighting for what they love, and this is the heart of this book. There's a lot of charm in the relationship of Dusty with his father, who is not portrayed as being perfect but it does his best to support his son and believes in him, even through disappointment
Stacie
Jun 09, 2012 Stacie rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Tale of a Baseball Dream by Jerry Pearlman is an inspiring book that reminds us to believe in ourselves and always chase our dreams.

Dusty loves baseball and spends endless hours practicing with his dad. Dusty is very talented and his dad consistently praises his strengths and encourages him to work on areas of weakness. With the help of his dad, Dusty becomes an incredible ball player until tragedy strikes.

Dusty's story is interwoven with the life of Bubba "The Brute" Brugosee, who was consider
Jessi
Jan 18, 2016 Jessi rated it it was amazing
Such a fun story. Kids of all ages will love it and even a few adults too.

Jessi Lohman
Author
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Feb 24, 2011 Aimee (Getting Your Read On) rated it really liked it
Dusty Hunter has loved baseball all his life and he’s worked hard to be the best he can be. With the help of his dad, he has spent countless hours batting and catching. Don’t let Dusty’s small stature fool you because his big heart and determination more than make up for it.
Entwined throughout the story of Dusty is another story of baseball great “Bubba ‘the Brute’ Brugosee”. These two stories make up an inspiring “Tale of a Baseball Dream”.

I love baseball. It’s in my blood. Even sitting here n
Christy
Feb 21, 2011 Christy rated it liked it
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads and was very excited to read it being a huge baseball/softball fan. I grew up collecting baseball cards with my dad and brother, and reveling in the stories of the heralded New York Yankees. When I finished reading this book, I couldn't help but think of so many similarities to real life baseball & players. The story is about a boy named Dusty, who over the course of the book grows from being a 3rd grader playing little league to the end of high ...more
Mindy/fangedmom
Feb 04, 2011 Mindy/fangedmom rated it it was amazing
Joshua's Review (my 6 yr old son):

“That WAS the best baseball story ever” Joshua’s exact words when we finished the book.

I am like Dusty because I love to play baseball with my mom, dad & my sister. I would love to have a best friend like Randy. I have mixed feelings about “The Brute”. I feel that “The Brute” was mean but also was hurt & that is why he was mean. This does not make it right though.

I loved Dusty’s character and the relationship he had with his daddy. It is sad that Dusty h
Rachel
Apr 08, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a heartwarming story of a father's love for his son and the success that can be achieved with the support and encouragement of others. I was lucky to win a copy of this book and decided to read it with a couple of my students and get feedback from them as we read. As a huge baseball fan, and a Red Sox one at that, I enjoyed the entwining of the curse with the story of Dusty and his father, as I could definitely relate to the fan frustrations! Before sharing it with my students, I was a l ...more
Chad
Apr 11, 2011 Chad rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, youth
A very simple book that is perfect for the 2nd – 6th grade audience. I read this book to my six year old son and he loved it. My 3rd grade daughter and my 5th grade son both are planning to read it based on my 6 year-old’s recommendation. They all love baseball and could/can relate to the main character, Dusty. There are some good educational points in the story that parents can talk to their kids about, such as working hard, never giving up, hope, love, God’s presence, death, achieving one’s go ...more
Amanda
Mar 21, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Boys age 8-12
Recommended to Amanda by: Good Reads 1st Read Giveaway
Tales of a Baseball Dream was a heartwarming tale of a young boy striving to be the best baseball player he can be with the help of his dad. Dusty Hunter is just average in size and strength, but his dedication, hard work, and determination help make him a baseball star. Dusty's story is interwoven with the story of Bubba "The Brute" Brugosee, the "greatest baseball hero that ever lived" and the curse that he placed on the team that traded him away.

This story was well written and enjoyable. The
Jacque
May 07, 2011 Jacque rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any young person
I enjoyed this book. It was very inspirational for me. I loved the way that baseball and baseball superstitions were used to make points in this book. I also found the death of the father to be a very important aspect of this book. I know that death of a close family member can cause a lot of pain and problems for teens and also younger children.

I will be keeping this book for my son. He is 5 years old now and I think this book may help him as he gets older. I know that there is a lot of stuff
Desiree reilly
Feb 23, 2011 Desiree reilly rated it it was amazing
well this book i like it will be good use the boy and girl who love baseball
and read the book. The book is around a kid name Dusty well dusty like
any other kid on the block but he love baseball and want to be baseball
he is good player and hitter him and his dad play ball a lot together
then dusty get his chance to play and when his dad dies he get up set and
start hitting the ball well a scout find him but there a curse on baseball
the brute said the team never going to win again and then come du
Alex
Mar 19, 2011 Alex rated it it was amazing
Thanks to goodreads and Jerry Pearlman, I won this book through the first-reads program.

What a great book! For baseball loving kids in particular! I really enjoyed it and my age is more than triple the recommended reading age!

An uplifting story of a father who puts in all his time to make his son the best and to believe in himself. This is a book that fathers and sons can read and enjoy together and a book that might encourage and inspire young boys who don't normally read to read.

Look forward t
Tami Montano
May 07, 2011 Tami Montano rated it really liked it
I really liked this inspirational, yes you can story. I think it is a must read for any inspiring ball player, or anyone who feels that the odds are stacked against them. I love how the story was told through the father's eyes...it really grounded the story with love and human emotions. Thank you Jerry Pearlman for creating such a touching and inspiring tale of the never giving up and self determination.
Susan
Oct 11, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
I love this book! As a retired teacher, I found it engaging and inspirational - even though it was written for children. This book reminded me of what makes America great: People can accomplish their dreams with the help of those who believe in them. If you like a good American story, apple pie or baseball - then you'll love this story.
Marie
Mar 29, 2011 Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won Tale of A Baseball Dream as a first-read winner! To my delight, it's a charming story about a dad and his boy's dream to play baseball. It's a great story for children to learn that if you try your hardest and perserver against difficult times your dreams can come true. I look forward to sharing this story with others.
Michele(mluker) Luker
Apr 26, 2011 Michele(mluker) Luker rated it really liked it
An inspiring story of a young boy and his dream to become an amazing baseball player. Its a great positive story about following your dreams, even when your world is turned upside down.

What a great story for young boys to follow their dream!!
Sabrina
Apr 24, 2011 Sabrina rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth, first-reads
This book is a short, simple read recommended for readers 8-12 years old. The subject matter is around baseball but the theme extends to everyday life. This book is a great example of how one should never give up on their dreams.
Shana
Apr 16, 2011 Shana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book on goodreads and I enjoyed it a lot. I recommend it to everyone who enjoys baseball either young and old. I loved how the story started and I loved how it ended. It was a great book to read.
Jessica
May 25, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
Really amazing father and son story, which can be totally relatable with many people. I loved enjoyed reading every minute of this book tremendously. I'd recommend it to anyone!!!
Jessica
Sep 03, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
Jessica Samide
Oct 17, 2011 Jessica Samide rated it really liked it
Gordana
Feb 15, 2011 Gordana rated it liked it
What a surprise to be notified of winning Jerry Pearlman's Tale of a Baseball Dream. Thanks Goodreads! Enjoyable read and a great short story for young and old.
Bruce Kenney
Feb 13, 2011 Bruce Kenney rated it liked it
While obviously a young readers book, it is well written. But it will probably not appeal to many girls because of its sports content
L-H
Mar 28, 2011 L-H marked it as to-read
I won a free copy of this book through the Goodreads first-reads program. I can't wait to read this book. Thank you.
Tracee
Tracee added it
Jun 29, 2015
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Alli
Alli marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Bonnie Grover
Bonnie Grover rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
Mandy Rayfield
Mandy Rayfield marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013