Start by marking “Blue Gold” as Want to Read:
Blue Gold

Blue Gold (NUMA Files #2)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  4,894 ratings  ·  104 reviews
L'inizio degli anni '90, le riserve idriche del pianeta si stanno esaurendo e l'acqua sta diventando un bene più prezioso del petrolio. Per cercare di far fronte al problema la dottoressa Francesca Cabral sta studiando un sistema di desalinizzazione, ma qualcuno è pronto a tutto per appropriarsi dell'invenzione che la studiosa vorrebbe rendere di dominio pubblico. Dieci an ...more
Published (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Gold

Amanda
This is the only Cussler I've read, so maybe it's a bad sampling, but bottom line, Cussler has too much tell and not enough show in his writing. You could make a great drinking game out of taking a shot for every explained simile/analogy. His heroes are too perfect and his villains are... also pretty perfect, so nobody has any flaws to overcome. All his notable women are shapely and dedicated to working out at the gym, and all his notable men are playboys who love jazz and beautiful, shapely wom ...more
Jaemi
I've never read Cussler, but I really enjoyed the movie version of his book Sahara, and this NUMA Files tale was no less exciting. Nor does it star Dirk Pitt.

To begin, Dr. Francesca Cabral has discovered a process that can cheaply and efficiently desalinate water, and is on her way to the UN to present her findings and give the process to the world for free. But someone else has other things in mind, and her plane never makes it out of South America, crashing deep in the jungle.

Ten years later,
Ken E
Currently reading. I've read Cussler's books since I was a teenager. It was a habit I obtained from my father. I was fairly certain I had read all of them (except for the most recent two), but I came across this one at the Niantic Book Barn.

All of Cussler's stories are pretty much the same:
1) Some fictional historical event occurs which causes some important object to become lost and subsequently forgotten.

2) Modern-day megalomaniac James Bond villain-type is placing in motion a scheme to take o
Teo Hoppe
Clive Cussler's knack for writing tales that seem beyond belief astounds me. In Blue Gold, he weaves such a fantastic tale that one wonders if it might possibly be true - were there trans-Atlantic ocean crossings that brought many different ethnicities together? How can one explain the different facial features in the rock carvings around the world, representing cultures that have never been found to exist in places like Mexico? Fantastic story, completely believable!
Cussler's new tag-team of ag
David
Clive Cussler once had my attention. His books were well-researched, he seemed to understand a great deal about geology, archaeology, etc. and the first few Dirk Pitt novels I read were outstanding.

Over the years, his books have slowly lost their appeal to me. They seem to grown in absurdity and unimaginative coincidences.

I thought it might be different to read some of the stuff he has written with other authors. Would the Austin novels be rehash of the Pitt novels, or could other authors bring
Douglas Cook
Cussler's books are enjoyable and quick reads. This is no exception.

First paragraph
WITH A POWERFUL KICK from its twin turbofan engines, the sleek executive jet lifted off the runway and shot into the vaulted skies above São Paulo. Climbing rapidly over the biggest city in South America, the Learjet soon reached its cruising altitude of thirty-nine thousand feet and raced toward the northwest at five hundred miles an hour. Seated in a comfortable rear-facing chair at the back of the cabin, Profe
Trisha
Inhoud: Dr. Francesca Cabril heeft een even spectaculaire als goedkope methode ontwikkeld om zeewater te ontzilten.
Als ze onderweg is om deze uitvinding te presenteren op een wereldcongres, verdwijnt haar vliegtuig boven de jungle. Tien jaar later zijn onderzoekers van het NUMA bezig met een studie van de Amazonerivier. Een dode indiaan in een kano dwingt hen tot een speurtocht, die hen leidt tot bij Dr. Cabril, nu opperhoofd en godin van de indianenstam.
Elders sterven walvissen een mysterieuze
Dexter/Persy
It's not extraordinarily well-written, the plot is a little weird, and the characters are all incredibly one-dimensional and pretty boring. But if you can get past all that, it's not bad.

It's kind of like indulging in a meaningless action movie. You really only watch it for the action. Unfortunately, that doesn't work quite as well with literature, but Clive Cussler does an admirable job. The book is fun enough and exciting enough to pass as an okay action novel, and I will continue to read the
Andy
One of the early Kurt Austin books - number 2 I think. Blue Gold is, of course, water. It has all the hallmarks of a Clive Cussler novel - Paul and Gamay in one part of the world, Kurt and Joe in another part but the problems they encounter are related. So many coincidences. Paul and Gamay rescue a scientist who went missing 10 years before. The scientist was on her way to the UN to share her invention which would turn salty water potable while also producing energy. What a good person. She ends ...more
Diane
Blue Gold is typical Clive Cussler adventure. Listened to it on CD while driving. It was a good time passer, and the hero won in the end. But didn't save the heroine. That was a bit of a twist. This story is good for Clive Cussler adventure fans, but is not memorable literature. The fact the the villian was an intelligent, tall, ambitious woman cooled my enthusiasm. Why is it that non-petite females are threatening to males?? (Yes, I am tall). At least Mr. Cussler let her be incredibly smart.
Amber
" Gamay furrowed her brow as she examined the flat, round object. 'A mirror? It appears that vanity is not confined to women.'"

"Zavala had a deserved reputation as a ladies man, so his ears perked up at the mention of a woman."

"The old ring aficionados used to say that a good big man can beat a good small man any day. Zavala hoped the same truism didn't apply to a big woman"

"The fact that they hid something underwater indicates that they don't want anyone to know what they are doing."

"They talke
Mary Kenyon
I miss the days when Clive Cussler wrote about Dirk Pitt and his adventures. But this collaboration wasn't too bad. It did have a few of the favorite characters from NUMA.
Mitchell
It was OK. Plodding writing and hard to get to that suspension of disbelief in several cases with a villain and two henchmen straight out of a comic book.
Tim Corke
Cussler is a master of storytelling and Blue Gold takes some beating. It is packed with excitement and portrays the lives of the NUMA agents as a dream job that anyone would love to have. Blue Gold takes a modern-day issue, water access, and creates a wonderfully, huge conspiracy where a single corporation has complete control over the world's supplies. It is hugely entertaining and the culmination of different plots into one is done seamlessly and with lots of "Hollywood".

It surely cant be too
Nathan Beck
Book 2 in the NUMA files. I'm starting to like the characters in the story but I'm having trouble relating to any of them. This book was not as scattered as the first though, defiantly worth the read if you made it through "Serpent".
Gurvan
Too many stereotype make for good action movie script but a very poor book...
Jenni
Sometimes I just need to read these mindless predictable books.
Gerold Whittaker
Typical Cussler book: lots of action, larger-than-life villians and of course, heroes who are always one-up on the villians.

The essence of the story is the discovery of a process to convert sea water to fresh water while the villians are trying to buy-up all the water rights across the world. By owning the rights, they set the price thereby creating a worldwide shortage of available fresh water. Of course in order to make money by selling water, the sea water-converter cannot be allowed to work,
James
Neil Hanson
While this series is published under the banner of the Clive Cussler stable, Mr Kemprecos is an author I’m really coming to enjoy. He has created some wonderful characters here, and this - the second in the series - continues to evolve and enhance these characters.

In this one, Austin and his sidekicks rescue the world’s water supply from corporate domination and control, meeting a new but short-lived love interest along the way.

I’m a fan after two, and will continue to read this series to fill t
Kathy
Thanks Caroline, for bursting my fantasy bubble with reality. This is another Clive Cussler filled with fantasy, some science?, and adventure. It is a book to kick back with and not have to think. Since I know very little about science and left reality behind long ago I enjoyed the mix of science, winning of battles against all odds, and being chased by ancient Indian tribes deep in South America. Also I was glad to hear that my eight glasses of water a day are safe due to the fearless efforts o ...more
Cathy
Love these ocean adventures. Lots of interesting characters.
Mel Allred
Clive Cussler has always been a favorite of mine and I'm sure this book held up to his typical thrill level. However, I am making this review some ten years later and cannot remember this book in any detail and I do remember several of his books. Maybe the ones I remember are actually inclusive of this one. A great author, mixes some real historical fact with some outstanding fiction and keeps me awake until I've finished it.
Mandy
It worked for what I needed it for. An easy summer vacation read. I agree with other reviewers that it lacked credibility in several places. I also feel like many of the character backgrounds are too stilted and contrived. Show me the villain is a megalomaniac, dont tell me she is. Good if you want something easy and mildly entertaining. Do not expect great literature though. ;)
Sian Wadey
Blue Gold by Clive Cussler

I'm a massive fan of Clive Cussler and all his works, especially Dirk Pitt, Kurt Austin and the new Isaac Bell stories. As expected, Blue Gold is a great addition to the collection. The story features Kurt Austin and Joe Zavala, a recent addition to Cussler's world. It's classic Cussler, spans over years and is full of action and adventure.
Alisa
I didn't find this as intriguing nor the intertwining stories as complex as in some of his other books (mainly the Dirk Pitt ones), and the TweedleDee and TweedleDum twin henchmen were over the top silliness. I've never found Kurt Austin to be as charismatic of a main character as Dirk Pitt, and this book is no exception to that rule. But it's readable enough.
Lewis G
Clive Cussler is a master action adventure story teller. His exotic plots, attention to scientific detail, historical facts keep my attention. However, I find most of his characters either one sided stereotypical macho types straight out of WW2, or artificial and uninteresting. His dialogue is trite and predictable, for my taste anyway.
Susie
I always enjoy the ride of a Clive Cussler novel. Usually pick them up for reading on a dive trip since there is almost always underwater stuff going on. Cussler is a diver so he writes about what he knows and throwns in some action packed suspense and intrigue along the way. This is one of many I have read and as always, a great escape!
Dana
Jun 25, 2014 Dana marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I picked it up at little free library 9689. Thanks!
  • Deep Fire Rising (Philip Mercer, #6)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • America (Jake Grafton, #9)
  • Storming Heaven
  • Spyder Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #1)
  • SSN: A Strategy Guide to Submarine Warfare
  • Blood and Honor (Honor Bound, #2)
  • Primeval (Event Group Adventure, #5)
  • The Covenant Of Genesis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #4)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more
More about Clive Cussler...
Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11) Inca Gold (Dirk Pitt, #12) Atlantis Found (Dirk Pitt, #15) Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4) Valhalla Rising (Dirk Pitt, #16)