Start by marking “100 Words To Make You Sound Smart” as Want to Read:
100 Words To Make You Sound Smart

100 Words To Make You Sound Smart

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The newest title in the popular 100 Words series is an informative and entertaining resource that can help anyone be right on the money when looking for words that will make a point, seal the deal, or just keep folks listening. Chosen by the editors of the American Heritage Dictionaries, these words will appeal to anyone who wants to be a more compelling communicator—as a ...more
Published October 4th 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about 100 Words To Make You Sound Smart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Words To Make You Sound Smart

LHenry
Nice reading. The only drawback is that it is written as a dictionary, therefore every page is independent from the other one. It's like reading a dictionary rather than a regular book.
This said, the words listed have been nice to learn. Many were already known, but thanks to the deep explanation, I could understand their meaning better.
If you're not a native speaker, but you already have a good English, this book may be good to help you impress natives when you write. (try to don't use those wo
Leif Denti
I stort sett en lista på 100 svåra ord. Jag kunde ungefär hälften av dem och ämnar lära mig alla. Många ord som jag hör/läser i böcker ibland och som definitivt är värda att lära sig. Kort bok, rekommenderas.
Waseem
I dont know how in the brief this book is set to be 'entertaining' - i got up to around to word number 27 or so before bordem set in...fuelled by the very robot / scriptive nature in the way the content of the book is put forward...

...don't get me wrong, the content is 'ok' but not my fav way of learning...its more like reading a text book rather a good book...

nevertheless..i'll give it 2 stars...

Waseem
Vonze (Yvonne)
One of the quirky little books my husband owns, lol. Overall, a good reference. I would have replaced more mainstream words like "angst" and "deja vu" with something more rare. I feel like a lot of middle schoolers would probably be able to define those words. And I'm guessing this is more aimed at high schoolers and college students. But, regardless, an interesting little read.
Amanda
Another in the series (as I purchase six of the eight with my Amazon birthday money, so there'll be a few more I'm going to pop up). Not as many new ones to learn in this one, but definitely a good book for people looking to expand their vocabulary.
M
i keep this book close by. i used to hate vocabulary when i was in school, but i love to expand my vocab and make sure i use words in context.
Amanda Caldwell
It turned out that I all ready knew a majority of the words, but I did learn how to properly use some that I didn't know before.
Clover  Youngblood
Loved this book. I get made fun of for my expansive vocabulary, and even then I didn't know half of this words.
Brenden
100 Words To Make You Sound Smart by Editors of The American Heritage Dictionaries (2006)
Jill
I love language and words, it was a fun read for a word nerd.
Missy Fordlang
It's exactly what the description says.
Tami
I already knew 96 out of 100 words.
Rae
Haha, I LIVE on this book.
Shon
Jun 18, 2013 Shon is currently reading it
very good
Mohamed
Mohamed is currently reading it
Nov 07, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Celia
Celia marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Delzhette Gonzaga
Delzhette Gonzaga is currently reading it
Oct 18, 2014
Kyran
Kyran added it
Oct 14, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Anthony Pascoe
Anthony Pascoe marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
100 words to make you sound smarter 1 3 Jan 17, 2012 03:54PM
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • 8,789 Words of Wisdom
  • 2002 طريقة لتسعد نفسك
  • Arriving at Your Own Door: 108 Lessons in Mindfulness
  • Generation Green: The Ultimate Teen Guide to Living an Eco-Friendly Life
  • Secrets of Longevity: Hundreds of Ways to Live to Be 100
  • The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People: What Scientists Have Learned and How You Can Use It
  • 101 Things to Do Before You're Old and Boring
  • An A-Z of English Grammar & Usage
  • Dream It. List It. Do It!: The 43things.com Guide to Creating Your Own Life List
  • 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die
  • When Kids Can't Read-What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers 6-12
  • Blue Lipstick: Concrete Poems
  • Eighth Grade Is Making Me Sick: Ginny Davis's Year In Stuff
  • Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning
  • The Handbook of Good English
  • 52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity
  • 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language 100 Words Almost Everyone Confuses and Misuses 100 Words Every Word Lover Should Know 100 Words Every High School Graduate Should Know The American Heritage Dictionary