Mirror Image (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #2)

Mirror Image (Tom Clancy's Op-Center #2)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  1,916 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The Cold War is over. And chaos is setting in. The new President of Russia is trying to create a new democratic regime. But there are strong elements within the country that are trying to stop him: the ruthless Russian mafia, the right wing nationalists, and those nefarious forces that will do whatever it tales to return Russia to the days of the Czar.

Op-Center, the newly...more
Mass Market Paperback, 436 pages
Published November 1st 1995 by Berkley (first published October 10th 1995)

Whitelady3
I was a bit sceptical towards this book as Tom Clancy is known by being the master of the techno-thriller genre, which is not my thing. I don't like much technological description, as it happens on Atlantis by David Gibbins. Fortunately the description of the electronic elements isn't extent, just the necessary to understand which use they have on the story.

I actually liked the story, though at the beginning I thought I would suffer from jet-lag. The chapters jump from a geographical point to a...more
Raypall
I don't know, maybe I'm just growing old...but as much as I was loyal Clancyist in the past, I'm less and less amused with every next book, as I work through Clancy's bibliography. Things I've been accepting in previous books (clichés, pathos, repeating plot schemes, predictable conclusions, somewhat flat characters suiting typical movie hero templates etc.) are now becoming bigger and bigger obstacle for me and I simply cannot fall for the book anymore.

And Mirror Image is exactly the case. If...more
Evan O'neill
This book is part of a series of Books known as the op-center. In this book the newly elected leader of Russi after the Cold War is planning to rebuild the Russian Empire, but there are people who want to go back to the days of the Czar. Then there is a Russian op-center that matches the U.S. op-center alomost evenly. This book is suspenseful and has alot of action but, it is very long.
Sushant Joshi
Juan Navarro
Brett
Two stars is being pretty generous with this one. This is the second in the Op Center series of novels that bears Tom Clancy's name, though he is not the author. The story involves a faction within the Russian government trying to re-establish the Soviet Union and the efforts of the Op Center people to prevent this. The truth is that this book was a bore from start to finish, without much drama and extremely poor characters.

As usual with Clancy products, you cannot tell the characters apart and...more
Bryan Smith
Mirror Image was an a deeply enthralling governemtn conspiracy thriller. I have never been a avid fan of Clancy or other government conspiracy fiction writers, but I will say that Mirror Image has changed by minde on this genre. Character development within both compeating Op-Centers if very through and the reader is drawn to develop a considerable connetion with both Antagonist and Protagonist. Mirror Image also does an exemplary job of characterizing the tension between to superpowers sometime...more
Paul
When a character in the book is described as a Finnish tall black haired Lapp who is proud of his Viking ancestors, you know someone didn't do their homework very well. This together with a few historical errors and spelling mistakes made me wonder how much of the other "historical fact" was in fact fiction? But not enough to put down the book :)
Wendy
This book kept the action moving but introduced so many characters that I wasn't sure which ones I was supposed to focus on until almost the end. I hate that. I can't keep track of 50 government employees with similar sounding positions! However, it was a fun, adventurous book that was also clean.
Jillian
I am really enjoying this series. I usually read crime type books but the structure of this series is equal to anything I have read in other series. The character development and introduction of the new players are well planned and executed. I can't wait to start the next one.
Robert
I do not recall this book, but I do recall reading it. I ripped off about three of them before I called it quits. Easy enough read, but not as compelling as Clancy's real work.
Phillip
Clancy's second installment to the Op-Center series, This book gets you thinking about our relationship with Russia, since the end of the Cold War. I couldn't put it down.
Corey Tardif
Not too bad a book, there were a lot of characters to keep track of, but it was a good Techno-Thriller.
Fittytiff
I read this so long ago. But now going through my books and getting rid of some!
Navajojim
Wow, what a slow ass book. Really, its slower than mollasses in January.
Craig
Don M
Aug 06, 2011 Don M added it
Don't Want to Read (but they don't give this option!)
Joe
Cheap knock-off of Clancy. Formulaic and predictable.
David
Good book looking forward to the next one ...
Ayelet
Another fun Tom Clancy read.
Hazel
Good series.
Matthew Guillemette
Very Good read!!
Gary
Gary added it
Jul 24, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Gelo77
Gelo77 added it
Jul 22, 2014
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton, #5)
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)
  • U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)
  • Winter Hawk (Mitchell Gant, #3)
From www.loc.gov: Best-selling author Tom Clancy was an English major at Baltimore’s Loyola College and he had a dream of writing a novel. As a Maryland insurance broker with a passion for naval history, his dream came true with his first effort, The Hunt for Red October (1984). He has since written more than a dozen novels, which have a blend of realism and authenticity, intricate plotting, and r...more
More about Tom Clancy...
The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3) Patriot Games (Jack Ryan, #1) Clear and Present Danger (Jack Ryan, #5) Red Storm Rising Without Remorse (John Clark, #1)