Today We Are Rich: Harnessing The Power Of Total Confidence
read excerpt

Today We Are Rich: Harnessing The Power Of Total Confidence

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  416 ratings  ·  67 reviews
The long awaited prequel to global best seller Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends.

Are you just hanging in there? Have life’s curveballs thrown you off balance? Do you feel as if your life is going sideways?

Best-selling author, leadership coach, and former Yahoo! executive Tim Sanders knows how you feel. His father’s unexpected death put him...more
Published (first published March 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Today We Are Rich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Today We Are Rich

Gail
You know how, when Oprah really loves something, she wants to give it to everybody? ("And YOU get a car and YOU get a car and YOU get a car...") That's kind of how I feel about this book. If I could afford it, I'd buy a case of copies of "Today We are Rich" and seek out all the people in my life who I think need or would want to read its wisdoms. And in my mind, that number is many.

It's not that Tim Sanders writes in this book about any earth-shatteringly new concepts in business/self-empowerme...more
Launi
I bought this book for only a few bucks when it was on sale on Amazon. I had no idea how amazingly good it would be until I read the introduction and I was so touched, it brought tears to my eyes! The whole book was uplifting and thought provoking with so much good advice on changing your attitude. I REALLY LOVED this book. Favorite excerpts as follows:

"Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it."

"Our habits are literally garments worn by our personaliti...more
Kate
Dec 09, 2011 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Billye, the authors adopted parent, always knew what to say when it was needed, instilling confidence and seemed to make a difference in the authors young life. Reading more like the cross between autobiography of the author and a biography of Billye with a collection of quotes and passages from other writers and famous personalities thrown in, the book shifted back and forth between all of them. The author was able to put into practice the lessons and principles that was taught to him from Bill...more
Florence Millo
Today We Are Rich by Tim Sanders

Learning--feed your mind good stuff; be as careful with what you put into your mind as what you put into your mouth; good books, good music, good conversation with people who lift you up.

Gratitude--exercise your gratitude muscle; make gratitude your first thoughts in the morning to banish fear and anxiety.

Giving--focusing on the needs of others brings out our strengths; before you let thoughts of lack become dominant, challenge them with an act of giving.
Rules for...more
Kendra
With all that life throws my way on a daily basis, I have found that positive thinking is critical to my survival both personally and professionally. I was lucky to have been raised in a home that taught me to be grateful for all that God has given me and to not dwell on the difficulties and challenges that come my way. Reading books, articles, and listening to stories and music that reinforce that message allows me to not only cope in today’s world, but to thrive. Today We Are Rich is an excell...more
Stefani
I have read my fair share of what could be termed "self-help" or "self-improvement" books... marriage, communication, parenting/discipline, motivation... but never one about confidence. I found a lot of things in this book to be good and interesting, but so much of it I was already doing (though maybe in a different way than he suggests). But I think like a lot of self-help books, the people who really need to read it, probably won't--though more people may read it being tricked by the title thi...more
Vaughn
A surprisingly good read. In Today We are Rich, Tim Sander's gives Biblically-based principles for living in a "good loop". Though it is a motivational type book, it's got a relevant plot and sub-plot and solid references, including many connections to Scripture.

Principle 1: Feed your mind good stuff
Principle 2: Move the Conversation Forward
Principle 3: Exercise Your Gratitude Muscle
Principle 4: Give to Be Rich
Principle 5: Prepare Yourself
Principle 6: Balance Your Confidence
Principle 7: Pro...more
Gary
Wow! I read the Prologue and said to my wife, "This is a Goodreads Five Star already." She read that portion too and understood my excitement. I am thankful that Tim wrote this book, and that I too am rich. You are rich too. Read his Prologe and you will read the rest of the book. I have read and enjoyed his work "Love is the Killer App" which, among other things, changed how I read books. And now TWAR builds upon that work. Thanks Tim.
Elle
Stuck in a rutt? Always focusing on the negative? Unsure of how to dig yourself out of that deep dark whole? Tim Sanders is here to offer you some help to gain back your confidence and to succeed everyday from your place of business to your work life.
We all go through those times where we are not sure how to continue or where to go from here, Sanders helps to redefine what we are living for he reminds us that “your purpose must involve something greater than yourself” and how to find what your...more
Elizabeth
I normally do not read these kinds of books because I feel my life is good enough as it is, however, someone recommended the book for me to read. I found most of the principles to be mostly common sense stuff, but I did appreciate the author for stressing that you need to have faith in God. I find many books of this sort to be the opposite: rely on yourself and not on God. Though I do not agree with everything in the book, I did find it refreshing to read because the author stressed that you nee...more
Shawn Kerr
A great book about how to maintain one's self in everyday life - managing the hustle and bustle while staying happy and not becoming burnt out. He gives some great little exercises that can be done in just a few minutes everyday and will generate happiness.

One problem I had with the book was the reliance on the idea of maintaining one's connection with God. Sanders makes a connection with God seem utterly necessary in order to live a good and rich life. Being an atheist I felt somewhat alienate...more
Ryan Drew
Tim Sanders does a wonderful job of motivating and empowering the reader. I took away a lot of great quotes out of this book and it just goes to show that positivity conquers all. I also enjoyed that Tim walked the reader through very clear steps on how you can apply practices of total confidence in your daily life. A lot of it is building the groundwork for success and I think that everyone can gain something from this book. When I finished the book I sent Tim a personal message and he responde...more
Jon-david Mafia Hairdresser
I was so stupid. I got this book a long time ago when I went to a Social Media Club of Chicago event. I missed the author's speech but I bought the book and took the signed copy and it went into a drawer, for a year!
It's not a Napoleon Hill do-over. This book is like stepping into a story--only you are the main character and you can see yourself a big winner!
This book also inspired me to do some of my own greatness: Twitter for Salons Spas: 10 Minutes a Day Wins New Clients and Customer Satisfac...more
Nathan
Perhaps I'm just not the self-help book type person.
There were parts of this book I really enjoyed, the personal anecdotes, the inspiring stories from the author's life (finishing a mile race when all others had lapped him) and stories of others (the sales exec who finds new enjoyment in his role by looking at his job like a new-start) but . . .
I felt this book was too 'preachy' for me, I don't feel as though I need to have a closer relationship to god to get the most out of life, to exercise th...more
Wanda
I am not sure what classification to put this book under. My choices would be between business, self-help and inspirational. Though it would also be a good book for teenagers and young adults to read. The author shares sage advice given to him by his grandmother as she raised him. This is the same advice that, when he followed it, has helped him to become successful. Also, the rich mentioned does not have to do with money necessarily and neither does the successful. He spends just a little time...more
Brian
I'm surprised this book has such a high rating on Amazon. While there are some good suggestions, I found the Christian overtones to be off-putting. The book's title is a bit misleading as it is not about accumulating wealth, but rather about how to be a better person. The specific guidelines in the book are rehashed advice from other self-help writers backed up by fluffy testimonials from participants in the author's speaking engagements. I didn't feel like this author had anything new to add to...more
Debra Ham
This book was free on Amazon (last year or so) and I am just getting around to reading it. I thought that this was an excellent book! I found the advice practical and exciting, yet easy enough to implement and commit to, with the right frame of mind. I enjoyed how Tim told his stories and related the details to the point that he was trying to get across. This book was an easy read with a very conversational tone, which I love. I would recommend this book to anyone who needs a some motivation (wi...more
Leighnae
I loved this book. I am in a place of "change" in my life; want more positive results, more ideas on how to become more confident and consistent in achieving my goals, and this little book was very inspirational and had a LOT of practical application (how to overcome a bad habit; how to establish constuctive habits; how to help others on your way to the top, etc....) It came well-recommended and i highly recommend it. It's an easy read, but you'll want to go back to chapters and parts over and o...more
Matt B.
If you need a book to help you regain some perspective on life, and remember what the important things really are, this is the book for you. Much in the vein of Zig Ziglar and other motivational leaders, Tim Sanders weaves in his own personal story into this book about recapturing a confident life. I would highly recommend this book to everyone, and offer just this one bit of warning. Don't let the title "Today We Are Rich" fool you. It's not about money.
Andrew
In the genre of the "power of positive thinking" books, Sanders provides his set of guidelines for developing an upbeat outlook, confidence, strong social relationships, and faith. For those seeking a pep talk and some techniques for turning negatives into successes, this book has something to offer.

It is preachy and a bit too much homespun (his grandmother is the great philosopher he turns to) for my taste, but it is not without value.

Cristobal
If you like inspirational, self-improvement books, you'll surely like this one. Although the book touches on very little new territory. And in fact it is not ashamed of continuously quoting classic books of the genre like "Man Search for Meaning", "The Power of Positive Thinking", "Psycho Cybernetics", "Think and Grow Rich", etc. However, the ideas are good and well organized and the examples keep them fresh.
Jan
I started reading this book from the library and had to buy the Kindle edition. It's just one of those go-to books for inspiration, ideas and wisdom. I adored Love Is the Killer App and this one raises the bar. Tim Sanders has a way of making you feel like he's your best bud or big brother giving you all the best advice he had to endure to get. Heed the advice and the world will be a better place. Honest.
Gerald Heath
Sweet, uplifting, self-help style book. Nothing to do with money. Rich has to do with living a happy spiritual life. Christian, but not preachy. Wonderful ideas about how to develop our *gratitude muscle" and our "giving muscle". I came away inspired to be a better person, so I would recommend it. I give 4 stars only because many of the ideas are not new, but a 4.5 would be my actual rating.
Paul
This is a good book overall. I like the narrative style and I like the Napoleon Hill & Dale Carnegie references. It's preachy at times but it works well overall giving a new twist to timeless principles. It loses steam at the end in my opinion. I think that typically, authors of the genre are persuaded to add filler to their books. I find that wasteful. Make your point and move on, I say...
Marisa
Admittedly, I tend to be a glass half-empty kinda person. This is a perfect book for me. I loved Tim's messages about confidence, gratitude, and giving.

A favorite quote: "Almost any negative thought pattern can be broken with thoughts of gratitude. When you 'think thanks,' you dial into what you have instead of what you lack. The effect is immediate - you feel positive."
Gail
Tim Sanders' conversational writing pulls you in for another important book on finding richness in the ordinary and extraordinary of our lives. Living the classic principles for a confident life will inspire you to start or restart solid habits... starting with gratitude through investing in yourself. Add it to your to-read pile; it's a keeper.
Dianna
A book that teaches you a lot about self-confidence and the power of your mind. Tim Sanders shares the advice of his grandmother who raised him and taught him how to overcome any obstacle that comes his way. As he gets older, he starts coaching others about what he has learned and those people share their stories in the book as well.
Nick
Tim's a good friend, so I'm biased, but I really enjoyed this entry in the how-to genre. Tim's grandmother, Billye, becomes an unforgettable character for the reader as you learn of her life struggles -- and Tim's. The advice is good, and it's a fast read. You can't go wrong following Tim's 7 principles. Highly recommended.
Noelle
Thank you to whoever in our book club recommended this book. It's a nice little reminder to acknowledge the blessings in our life, feed ourselves well (mentally/spiritually/physically) and to change or remove the things that can bring us down. It's also a quick and easy read. I am feeling especially rich right now.
David
A very good read. An emphasis on positive thinking and evaluating your own life. I enjoyed reading his personal stories that I found very engaging for me.

However, I wish that he opened up more on what the Christian faith means for him and what it should mean for the rest of us.
  • Success is Not an Accident: Change Your Choices Change Your Life
  • Tales of the Revolution:  True Stories of People who are Poking the Box and Making a Difference
  • 25 Days to Better Thinking & Better Living: A Guide  for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions...When It Counts
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • Two Wars: One Hero's Fight on Two Fronts--Abroad and Within
  • Saving for Retirement without Living Like a Pauper or Winning the Lottery
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • Margin: Restoring Emotional, Physical, Financial, and Time Reserves to Overloaded Lives
  • The 7-Day Doubt Diet
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • Wired to Care: How Companies Prosper When They Create Widespread Empathy
  • Winners Never Cheat: Even in Difficult Times
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • The On-Purpose Person: Making Your Life Make Sense
Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends The Likeability Factor: How to Boost Your L-Factor and Achieve Your Life's Dreams Saving the World at Work: What Companies and Individuals Can Do to Go Beyond Making a Profit to Making a Difference Tax Indemnities and Warranties: Third Edition

“What are you not doing today that you were doing when I first met you?” 6 likes
“John Andrew Holmes, “No exercise is better for the human heart than reaching down and lifting another up.” 4 likes