Start by marking “Death by Facebook” as Want to Read:
Death by Facebook

Death by Facebook

2.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  338 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
It is a wildly inventive story about love, madness, friendship, hippies, tsunamis, murder and the great hereafter all in a vivid tropical setting. It is funny, fascinating and touching. If you have never been to the Big Island, this book will make you want to go. If you have been there, this will make you feel like you have returned. The perfect book for a hammock and a ta ...more
Published February 27th 2011 by Hehunakai Books

To ask other readers questions about Death by Facebook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by Facebook

Amy
Aug 11, 2011 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This was a book that I won from a Goodreads giveaway. I had tried to win it a few times, actually, because the premise really interested me. What better subject is there than Facebook to entice today's reader?

That said, I'm not even sure where to begin. There were so many different tales woven into one here, and unfortunately, I don't mean that in a good way.

At first, it appeared to be a story about a girlfriend murdering her significant other. Then it became about incest (EW - thank you, NO). F
Ren
Mar 31, 2011 Ren marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
O.M.G..

What with this title?

Since I'm addicted to Facebook and Twitter, this one like a warning for me..

You death, because Facebook..

LMAO!!

Just kidding, actually the synopsis is tell about how if people know you'd dead via Facebook

Really curious to read this one
Marilyn Groves
May 13, 2011 Marilyn Groves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book ($4.99 for Kindle) is impossible to classify. Yes, a bit of facebook (and correct even!) A bit of murder (one of the main characters is dead by the second page & still narrates). More than a bit of new ageism. A bit of love and a bit of hate. A lot of Hawaii. Very very different... and if you hang in there during this unusual book until about 2/3 of the way through you are treated with an exciting, tense extremely well written part of folks dealing with a natural disaster.

Very dif
Jeni
Mar 04, 2012 Jeni rated it liked it
This book surprised me. Not in a particularly good or bad way, just in a surprising way.

As other reviewers have already mentioned, this book just came off as weird for the most part. I'm probably not going to cover any new ground here. The premise for the book was interesting - based on the title it looked to me like something along the lines of "you can't trust everyone you meet on the internet." The book description threw that away before you even open the book, but doesn't really do the true
Lenore Kosinski
Jan 31, 2012 Lenore Kosinski rated it it was ok
Shelves: pixel-of-ink, kindle
This was just not for me. Wasn't into the whole "magical realism" thing....way too many loosely connected storylines that weren't all resolved. Kept meeting new characters, but didn't end up really caring about any of them. Thought it was going to be more of a mystery, but wasn't a mystery at all. It definitely did get better as it went along, but not enough for me to recommend it. :(
Tomos Bowen
weird at first but gets better.. glad i only bought it cheap otherwise i would have been disappointed
La Toya
Feb 02, 2012 La Toya rated it it was ok
Not my favorite but it was interesting enough.
Valentina
Apr 11, 2011 Valentina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:

This is an unusual book. Not really what I was expecting, but not in a disappointing fashion, quite the opposite.
I was expecting a crime novel, fast paced but rather shallow, not at all what I was given in these pages. The beginning is intriguing, with a sense of lurking darkness amid its seemingly light banter. As the story progresses , the gloom grows along with the impending danger posed by a suddenly active volcano.
That’s another unusual aspect of this novel, the atmosphere. It takes place
Michelle
Jan 19, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not really a fan of Facebook. Well actually, I am not a fan of the typical people who use Facebook. Fife has more meaning than to waste it on a single social network (use more than one for crying out loud!) So when I saw the title of the book I had to read it and could hardly wait to get it on my Kindle. (Free of course, because I'm cheap)
Ha! I said to myself. I knew you could die from Facebook. What people post is drivel. Really!? I do not care which store you are currently in or how lon
Wendy
Jul 24, 2012 Wendy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Based on the title, Death by Facebook, I envisioned something about...well, death by Facebook. Someone wasting away, starving to death, because they couldn't get off Facebook, or maybe a Facebook killer. Facebook is mentioned in the first few pages...and then never again. Death by Facebook is a very poorly chosen title for this book, and made me, as a reader, feel like I'd been misled.

As far as the story itself, I found it rather choppy. Numerous characters that all seemed to be unrelated, as t
Drew
Dec 27, 2014 Drew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beach, on-my-kindle
The same as 'Death By Volcano'

I love many of Mr. Peacock’s work but this one just wasn’t the same. I was hoping for a fun adventure on the Big Island but it didn’t deliver. Most of the fun characters are fun and entertaining, but the main character, Janet, and her plight just left a bad taste in my mouth that I couldn’t overcome, and because her actions are the starting point for the whole book it’s too hard to overlook it.
Hannah
Apr 30, 2011 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
PROS:
1. Very visual sort of book.
2. Surprising, on two counts. One is that you expect it to be plot-thin, and that's certainly not the case. Two, the twists are nicely done.
3. It's set in Hawaii (with a volcano!).
4. Its messages weren't forced.
5. Well paced.
6. One you can pass around, as I did. Since my sister is a Facebook fanatic, I borrowed it out to her. She loved it.

CONS:
1. The dialogue sometimes got cliche and unrealistic.
2. The narrative jumping was odd.
3. I expected more depth on Jimmy'
Fred
May 20, 2012 Fred rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-fiction
I'm required by the terms and conditions of the Goodreads book giveaway in which I won this novel to state in the review that that is how I acquired my copy of this book.

This want a bad book at all. I read it in 24 hours if that tells you anything. Very islandish. Maybe a little too new age for me, but then again I don't run on island time myself so i'm biased there.

This book is in fact less about Facebook than you would think from the cover and the title. More about . . . I don't know . . . th
Bert
Feb 19, 2014 Bert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is an oddball novel. A soldier awaits redeployment to Afghanistan, his future bride waits with him in Hawaii. He was adopted, so was she, eventually he learns they're actually siblings. Not disclosing that discovery causes her to kill him in a rage, pushing him into an active volcano pit. Then she decompensates, trying to wash away guilt with alcohol, eventually assuming his identity. Meanwhile experts detect movement in the volcano, it prepares to erupt again. The dead soldier reappears as ...more
Lindsay green
This book was not what I expected. There was too many plot lines and sometimes it was hard to follow. It was an interesting and unique story. But overall I was not impressed with this book. My biggest issue with this book was the characters. There are too many characters and you don't get a chance to connect with most of them. There are just too many other characters in this book it's hard to keep track of them all.
Jane
Feb 09, 2012 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a free kindle book and for some reason, despite having a reading list as long as my arm, I decided to read it. Set in Hawaii the book follows a couple of interwoven stories all surrounding the eruption of a volcano. It is easy reading and some of the characters are likeable whilst others feel somewhat flat. It was free. It passed some hours. Not a classic, nor worth hunting out.
Roxanne
Sep 02, 2014 Roxanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This was a light, breezy and enjoyable read. The story was odd and became more odd as I went on. But the unusual plot only pleased me more.

A couple social taboos are mixed into the story that give it an uncomfortable feeling. Which doesn't make the story terrible but keeps things interesting.
Dana
Feb 07, 2012 Dana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The facebook hook was great and had tremendous potential. However, the author just kept adding "hooks", new age, natural disasters, family disfunction.
Sheila
Jun 01, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it
This was a book that I won here on Goodreads from the author and I really liked it. It was a beautiful blend of nature and human nature. Thanks Everett.
Katrina
Feb 04, 2012 Katrina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It started out promising but I was disappointed the author never explained what the heck crazy woman was thinking or feeling or what her plan was.
Feb 03, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Terrible
Kat
Ginney Etherton
Dec 06, 2015 Ginney Etherton rated it it was ok
Weird. I have to say that it was just okay. The locale, the geology, and the depiction of native beliefs were interesting because I've been to the Big Island. Everett appears to know what he's talking about, and it appears that a lot of work went into bringing the reader in. But there were too many punctuation and syntax conflicts that took me out of the story. I can usually adapt to experimental "voice" in contemporary novels, but not when clarity suffers.
Tracy Tibbels
I didn't read the synopsis of this book before actually reading the book--I wish I would have. I expected something altogether different.

Even so, I was determined to read the whole thing.... but I wanted to give up a number of times. It wasn't so much the plot-line of the story that made me want to quit. It was the choppy nature of the book. I'm not opposed to stories going back and forth between characters; I just feel like the flow of this particular story was choppy. I had a hard time staying
Therese
Apr 19, 2013 Therese rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
$0.0

Pfc. James Madison Turner is on leave from the Army and spending this time with his girlfriend, soon-to-be wife, Janet on the big Island of Hawaii Jimmy Turner tells this story from a unique POV that he is only sorry his mother had to find out via Facebook. You see, Jimmy is dead.

Jimmy finally finds the light and the reason why he stayed around even though he was no longer alive. POV changes while the remaining people on the island deal with a volcanic eruption, earthquakes, and tsunamis.

Fa
Stacy
Jan 04, 2015 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No. Just no. It started ok, then went rapidly downhill. It was like there were two different books, and the division was so stark I had to force myself to finish it. And it's not that I didn't like the second half-- actually, I liked it better--it's just that the jump is so extreme it threw me off my reading.
Robyn Matthews
Mar 08, 2015 Robyn Matthews rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was an appalling book. Poorly written, jumps around using clichéd descriptions. The characters were uninteresting and frustrating. To finish the plot was annoying and silly. I properly read the first 25%and then skimmed the rest to see if it improved and find out what ending it eventually came to.
Iain
Apr 02, 2012 Iain rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not really my kind of thing. I was sold on the title, thinking it would be quite geeky but facebook itself gets a couple of mentions in the story.

There are a few plot strands and a decent cast of characters, but I think the story was trying to appeal to too many audiences at once. Chick-lit, crime, spiritual, thriller... Just too much for one story. The spiritual stuff in particular I found a bit overly mawkish in places and that kind of stuff really isn't my cup of tea in the first place.

Withou
Margaret Gaudio
**I received this book as a goodreads giveaway (probably 2 years ago :/ oops)

I liked that this book was a fast read. It wasn't what I had expected from the name, but in a good way. The story has a fast pace, but is interesting enough to keep you turning pages. I finished this book in 3 days, but if I had more time to read during the day, I probably would've finished it sooner.

My only complaint with it would be that occasionally the writing was a little sloppy, so you weren't exactly sure of what
Barry Simiana
It was okay. Bit of a rough ride to get through. The basic story is good, but the metaphysical aspects were a little too saccharine sweet for my. Cut the soppy stuff, beef up the action and you have a great tale. Read it for the experience.
  • Murder Over Easy
  • The Do-Over
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • Leaving the Comfort Cafe
  • River Rising
  • The Weight of Glass
  • Whale Song
  • Night Corridor
  • Reunions Can Be Murder (A Charlie Parker Mystery #7)
  • Puzzlebook: 102 Puzzle Quizzes
  • Soul and Shadow (Lily Evans Mystery #1)
  • Lol...Omg!: What Every Student Needs to Know about Online Reputation Management, Digital Citizenship and Cyberbullying
  • Twitter for Good: Change the World One Tweet at a Time
  • Suspense (The Spencer Nye Trilogy #1)
  • Bound By Blood
  • The Resume is Dead
  • Secrets, Lies, & Love
  • Getting Sassy
Mr. Peacock was born on an island and continues the tradition living in Maui, Hawaii. Decades were spent living on a secluded Oahu, Hawaii beach, surfing, mountain biking, glider flying and throwing beach parties people still talk about.

When he had to work it was stints at the Honolulu airport, as a cargo handler, Air Traffic Control radio, Airline Flight Operations Dispatcher, computer programme
More about Everett Peacock...