Start by marking “Compañero: The Life and Death of Che Guevara” as Want to Read:
Compañero: The Life and Death of Che Guevara

Compañero: The Life and Death of Che Guevara

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  788 ratings  ·  47 reviews
By the time he was killed in the jungles of Bolivia, where his body was displayed like a deposed Christ, Ernesto "Che" Guevara had become a synonym for revolution everywhere from Cuba to the barricades of Paris. This extraordinary biography peels aside the veil of the Guevara legend to reveal the charismatic, restless man behind it.

Drawing on archival materials from three
Published October 27th 1998 by Vintage (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Compañero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compañero

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankNight by Elie WieselUnder the Banner of Heaven by Jon KrakauerInto Thin Air by Jon KrakauerThe Invention of Religion by Alexander Drake
Must Read Non-Fiction
414th out of 1,418 books — 1,523 voters
The Kaleidoscope by Adrian MendozaSilence on the Mountain by Daniel WilkinsonI, Rigoberta Menchú by Rigoberta MenchúBuried Secrets by Victoria SanfordDeath Foretold by Martha Doggett
Latin American Studies
95th out of 139 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Olga Milemis
"Compañero" (1997) nos acerca a la figura de Ernesto «Che» Guevara, un personaje que, aunque es extremadamente popular, tiene aspectos poco conocidos. Aquí no solamente encontramos al hombre cuya trayectoria revolucionaria arrastra al lector desde La Habana y Argel hasta los campos de batalla del Congo y Bolivia, sino que también nos topamos con el médico, economista, filósofo social, estratega militar y amigo y confidente de Fidel Castro.

Usando documentación de archivos de tres continentes y m
Donna
Oct 10, 2010 Donna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who believe in equality
Recommended to Donna by: myself
This book is highly detailed and interesting, and clearly the author has done mammoth amounts of research (count the footnotes!!)
Having read this, I feel that my respect for Che Guevara has grown because the portrait Castaneda has painted of him is a very human one - a man with both great strengths and great flaws. I feel that only now that I have read the story of his life can I truly appreciate his legacy, and I can see beyond the famous Korda photograph that has been capitalized so much.
Cast
Dave-O
Thoroughly researched and well-written, this book is a must for anyone interested in the motivations behind one of the most legendary figures of the 20th Century.

Che Guevara always wanted to be on the front lines of any conflict against Yankee imperialism. The spearheaded-ness that ousted the Batista regime in Cuba led him to Russia, China, the Congo and ultimately to Bolivia where he was killed in a botched rebellion. The Bolivian episode occupies the final chapters of the book in great detail
Mandy
I've mentioned before my difficulty regarding biographies. By definition, a biography is going to introduce the bias and opinions of the author, and reflect any limitations in that author's research.

This book is phenomenal and chronicles Che's entire life from a priviledged birth to his world famous execution. It is well researched and it is evident that the author spent years researching and writing this book. He has personally spoken to some of the most central figures in Che's life and as suc
Amber
Wow. If you have ever questioned why you see countless kids wearing Che's face - read this book and it will make you still wonder what they are thinking.

Seriously.

Che's history is absolutely a powerful one, however, whether it was for the good, bad or indifferent - well I've formed my opinion at least - thanks to this book.

Ignore the footnotes as they are not helpful and only serve to confuse the reader. This is a great book though, well written and really does a good job in explaining the far r
Sebas
Mar 09, 2015 Sebas added it
Castañeda has made an amazing job describing the changing ideas and development of such a character as is El Che. Being Argentinian myself, I felt identified to the power and revolutionary ideas presented in this biography. The interviews and quotes by El Che himself are the greatest contribution to this well written biography. The author accounts for many of his powerful decisions in the economic and armada powers he controlled and lead. Guevara is portrayed as an iconic revolutionary character ...more
Laurel
The perfect introduction for a Che neophyte. Academic, yet accessible. What a man of passion, he sacrificed everything for his cause. I learned much about Guevara, but also about Castro, the Soviet-Sino conflict, guerilla warfare, and political intrigue in the 60s. I thought the final chapter was poignant and accurately placed Che Guevara as a man of vision for the radicals of the 60s.
Kirk Bower
Castaneda does a great job in research and writing. The book allows the reader to try to connect with the times and establish their own views. Politics aside; Che is an interesting and unusual character
Broadsnark
Reading about Che is a lot more interesting than reading what he actually said. This is a good book. I don't always agree with Castaneda's analysis, but it is well researched and generally fair.
Monica
A good attempt at trying to present a very human portrait of Che using access to letters and people most other authors haven't had. But it's also a very sympathetic view.
Dean MacAllister
Very dry, but very informative. A story of someone who had a strong idealism, but was only good at starting revolutions, never seeing anything through to completion.
Megan
A serious in-depth view of Che's life events. The footnotes are endless. Great research done on the author's part.
Chris
A little heavy and a little difficult to read. Brilliantly researched all the same.
Mark Shafranski
Companero

by Jorge G. Casteneda

Just finished reading Comanero. This is a biography of Ernesto (Che) Guevara. I was inspired to read a bio of Che after watching the musical Evita earlier this year where he serves as the foil. It dawned on me that I only had the vaguest memories of someone who became a revolutionary hero and died a few months before my fourteenth birthday, so I decided to educate myself.

The book was written in Spanish and translated to English which may account for some of its ro
Iwan
Seperti tokoh-tokoh pahlawan dunia lainnya, ada dua hal yang menarik yang mereka lakukan yaitu membaca dan menulis. Che Guevara sudah membaca buku-buku klasik termasuk sosialis-komunisme sejak kecil. Dia selalu menulis tentang apa yang dilakukan selama perjalanan hidupnya. Catatan selama berkelana dikembangkan dengan judul The Motorcycle Diaries. Terlepas dari hidupnya yang kontroversial, bagi saya hal yang menarik adalah membaca dan menulis.
Neil
I found this book to be very interesting. I haven't yet read any of the numerous other books about Che Guevara, but I can't imagine this one wouldn't be a good place to start for someone interested in learning about the man. Che comes across as someone fervently dedicated to his cause, but perhaps flawed in his overly idealistic pursuit of that cause. Castaneda does a good job of suggesting Che has become bigger in death than life, in what he's come to symbolize and how he's been marketed.
Jamie Larmour-reid
A thorough and well-balanced account of the life, triumphs, failures and death of one of the 20th century's cultural icons.
Jorge
Interesante y completa, por momentos soporífera, biografía de Ernesto Che Guevara, por el mexicano Jorge Castañeda. El libro tiene muchos datos al detalle, por lo que se me hizo pesado, especialmente al momento de repasar medidas económicas cuando el Che fue ministro de producción y presidente del Banco Central de Cuba. Tardé 5 años en leerlo, mezclado con otras lecturas. Si lo recomiendo.
While I do not agree with the deification of Che Guevara, neither do I accept the negation of his efforts that runs through this book. To paint him as a flawed man with grandiose ideas is one thing; to portray him as nothing more than a spoiled child with delusions of grandeur throwing a temper tantrum is another.
Marilou

Wonderfully written by Castaneda ...I am always interested about che's life ,his view on communism and his friendship with Castro.So far I am truly enjoying this book.The Author is portraying che as a good person but as I go through the book, che executed people himself. ....more.....
Now that I finished the book, I fully understand che 's legacy and my respect to him has change. He was a very intelligent and interesting person.

Ashmou
Che's story is interesting and poweful. That is the only reason, I gave this book 3 stars. I didn't like the way the author wrote the story. It was very unorganized. I am going to read "Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life"; that is quite popular. Maybe I will like that one more.
Linda
I'm notorious for not being able to plow through history books, unless they're extremely engaging. Truth is, I've been working on this one for a few years now--it hasn't left my nightstand in a while.
I find it to be pretty much unbiased, based on letters, documents, and interviews--tough, considering that he was such a controversial figure. However, not the most engaging history book I've ever read.
Lonnie
Sep 19, 2007 Lonnie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: communists
Long-winded, high brow apologetic which displays the author's admiration of his subject. He describes Che as a puritan martyr who was let down by Fidel, Khrushchev and, ultimately, the Bolivian peasantry. It was the first book I read on Che and I kept thinking the author was sugar-coating and romanticizing Che. It's a good book to read if one wants to justify their Che t-shirt.
Matt
Jun 27, 2007 Matt is currently reading it
Ridiculously detailed biography of Che Guevara. Castaneda is the premier Che author, no other biography should be taken as seriously as his. Incredibly interesting so far.
David

A magnificent book. Castaneda manages to be quite critical of Che Guevara's politics while being sympathetic. I feel I understand Guevara now. If you are interested in Guevara, Cuba, Latin America, third world revolutions and Cuba's relations with the U.S. and the Soviet Union, you will like this.
Rob Litvin
detailed from facts gathered from a lot of resources. I felt like the author tried to capture the ideals of Che in a positive light. probably to explain the fascination of the cult like following from people who believe he stands for pure revolution for the good of all people.
Linus
A fascinating and highly detailed book on one of the 20th century's most iconic figures, Castañeda's book is certainly worth a read. The amount of information in the book however was at times overwhelming but it nevertheless still stands as an outstanding biography
Bibi
While the research is very thorough and well-sourced, the content was a bit difficult to read. It's good for a project but I would not recommend reading it on your spare time. I'll be checking out Jon Anderson's version of Che's biography in the future.
Daisy
This is one of the best biographies that I have ever read. Castaneda is an amazing biographer. He is well-balanced and painted Che in a very unbiased way. He was both admiring while still presenting the ugly facets of his Che's political life.
Jean-Claire
Castañeda's portrayal of Guevara struck me as neither compelling nor, to be frank, unbiased. This book provided some revelations, in the declassified US documents etc, but proved to be ultimately unsatisfying.
  • Back on the Road (Otra Vez): A Journey Through Latin America
  • Las Películas de Mi Vida
  • Jack Kerouac: King of the Beats
  • American Dreamers: How the Left Changed a Nation
  • Der Baader Meinhof Komplex
  • Stealing History: Tomb Raiders, Smugglers, and the Looting of the Ancient World
  • Wages, Price and Profit
  • Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life
From Wikipedia:

Jorge Castañeda Gutman (born May 24, 1953) is a Mexican politician and academic who served as Secretary of Foreign Affairs (2000–2003).
Castañeda was born in Mexico City. He received the French Baccalauréat from the Lycée Franco-Mexicain in Mexico City. Then after receiving his B.A. from Princeton University and a Ph.D. in Economic History from the University of Paris (Panthéon-La So
More about Jorge G. Castañeda...
Mañana Forever? Mexico and the Mexicans La Herencia: Arqueologia de La Sucesion Presidencial En Mexico Utopia Unarmed: The Latin American Left After the Cold War Amarres perros. Una autobiografía Ex Mex: From Migrants to Immigrants