Start by marking “More Than Words, Volume 7: Compassion Can't Wait\Someplace Like Home\What the Heart Wants” as Want to Read:

More Than Words, Volume 7: Compassion Can't Wait\Someplace Like Home\What the Heart Wants (More Than Words, Volume #7)

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  190 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews

Published April 1st 2011 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about More Than Words, Volume 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Than Words, Volume 7

Barb
Jan 02, 2014 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Each and every one of us has the ability to effect change--to make our world a better place. The dedicated women selected as this year's recipients of Harlequin's More Than Words award have changed lives, one good deed at a time. To celebrate their accomplishments, some of our bestselling authors have honored the winners by writing stories inspired by these real-life heroines.
We hope More Than Words inspires you to get in touch with the real-life heroine living inside of you.
In Carly Phillips's
Steffi
Apr 12, 2011 Steffi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved all the books in the More than Words series so far so I decided to give this one a shot as well and I didn't regret it. The More than Words stories are about people who care and want to make a difference in the world.

Compassion can't wait by Carly Phillips: This is the story of Julia and Kyle who have been highschool sweethearts but when Kyle was starting his baseball career and Julia couldn't go with him, they drifted apart. Now Julia is working as a social worker at a hospital wher
Cheryl
Jun 24, 2011 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Compassion Can’t Wait, author Carly Phillips writes about Julia Caldwell. Julia is a social worker for Caridad del Cobre. She works with Andre Sobel River of Life Foundation. Currently Julia is dealing with one particular family. The Cortez family. There are two twin boys and one of them has cancer. Julia wants to do someone for Michael, the twin who is healthy. Michael is into baseball. Julia has just the mentor for Michael.

The last time Kyle Hansen saw Julia, she broke his heart. Though, K
Michelle (Undeniably Book Nerdy)
I don't usually read anthologies but I made an exception to More Than Words because I really liked the idea behind it. Each year real-life heroines (women who have gone above and beyond to help their communities and those in need) are chosen for the Harlequin More Than Words award. Each story in this book is inspired by and incorporates one of the award recipient and their organization.

Each story begins with a sort of foreword about the charitable organization and the woman (or women in the case
Lady Lioness
"Compassion Can't Wait" by Carly Phillips: This is the RITA nominated story from this anthology. Phillips gets around the novella format by having her couple be high school sweethearts. So the emotional foundation was already there, they just had to get over the misunderstanding that separated them. I think it was a good novella. I wasn't left wanting more and I didn't feel like it was bursting at the seams. In addition, the organization, Andre Sobel River of Life Foundation, was skillfully wove ...more
Book Binge
Jul 29, 2011 Book Binge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
Each of the stories in this collection incorporates a real life heroine nominated through Harlequin's More Than Words program. The women nominated are ones who have done major things to help their community or bring awareness to vital programs. I really like the idea of the program and was excited to read the stories each author put forth.

In Carly Phillips's Compassion Can't Wait, two high school sweet hearts are reunited years later, as if by fate, and discover that if you believe in yourself a
Danielle
Aug 07, 2011 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each centered around the beauty of compassion are the three short stories by Carly Phillips, Donna Hill and Jill Shalvis. Through the lives of characters going through harrowing events they each are able to find love and compassion. Walk into these lives and discover that love can be found even in the most difficult of times and circumstances.

What I thoroughly enjoyed about this book was something that others may not care for, the short story aspect. I’m often found reading novels that reach wel
Jess
Jun 10, 2012 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-novels
I love the entire idea behind this anthology. Edifying real women who do good in their communities by writing stories based on their charities is such a great idea! What a wonderful way to draw attention to charitable organizations while providing their leaders with a wonderful gift - a story that they can say they inspired!
Compassion Can't Wait - Carly Phillips: You give me a romance with a baseball player, and I'm sold. You give me a romance with a reunited-high-school-sweethearts plot line, a
Angelc
Aug 16, 2011 Angelc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I love the idea of this book-stories about real life charitable organizations. Honestly, I really enjoyed reading the pages preceeding each story that told about the real life heroines who started up each charity, including how and why, more than the actual short stories.

Even though I liked reading the true inspiration blurbs, I thought the actual romance stories were slow and bland. I am a fan of short stories, so it wasn't the format that bothered me. I just felt like the stories
Diana Leigh
Jul 18, 2011 Diana Leigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More Than Words, Volume 7 is a collection of three fictional stories inspired by remarkable real-life heroines dedicated to helping children. Though short in length, each one had an uplifting message and a sweet romance. Here's a brief look at each one:

Carly Phillips' Compassion Can't Wait is the story of two long lost loves, a hospital social worker and a famous baseball player, coming together to help a young teen in need. This story was inspired by a charity called the Andre Sobel River of Li
TheGeekyBlogger
Received for Review
Overall Rating 3.75
Compassion Can't Wait: 3.75
Someplace like Home: 3.75
What the Heart Wants: 3.75

NOTE: I should mention that novella's are generally not my favorite reads as I am always left wanting more of the story. These 3 reads were very quick, powerful, and packed as much as they could into the short time they had. I still wanted more of each story but each one was complete. They will all pull at your heartstrings.

Compassion Can't Wait by Carly Phillips: This story was ve
Andrea Chambliss
Inspiring stories

I ran across this volume looking for works by my favorite authors. This series is so inspirational and it brings to life the wonderful work done by these great charitable organizations. I would put this series on my to buy list if I'm where you.
Sonia Root
Mar 16, 2014 Sonia Root rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first volume of the More than Words books and I must say, WOW. What these ladies do is beyond amazing.

The stories were good, the tie in to the real women and their agencies was brilliant.

Highly recommend to anyone who needs to remember the good in this world.

Regards,

Sonia Root, Book Junkie
Ann-marie
Three stories whose main focus is not the romance but the charities and the heroines who work tirelessly in them. I enjoyed the first story the most "compassion can wait where the heroine childhood sweetheart comes back in her life, who now is a famous baseball player. i love that the story talks about the well child who feels alone while mom has to spend most of her time with his brother who has leukemia.
Jodi
May 02, 2011 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I don't think I'll ever be too crazy about short stories but these were okay for a light read. I really found it interesting to read about organizations out there to help people that I had never even heard off. The three organizations featured in this book sound like incredibly organizations to help teenagers and single parents of terminally ill children. I was very impressed with them! I love that this series of books spreads the word about organizations like this anda the amazing women who run ...more
Anne
May 25, 2013 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This was a different and interesting read. There are 3 short stories. By Carly Phillips, Victoria ?, and Jill Shalvis. They are all about strong women based on organizations that help people, particularly teens. They are romances of a sort. I have come to love the writing of Carly Phillips and Jill Shalvis. These stories were very short but great. Well, worth reading. The characters in the other story were Verna and Ronald. *snort* I felt like I'd gone back in time. It was still a good story.
Shan
Mar 16, 2013 Shan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I tried to like because the book was for a very good cause. The only story I was able to get through without wanting to hurl the book was Carly Phillips. Even though I read the entire story by Ms. Phillips it was not her best work.

I believe the reason that I had a hard time is that no one's romance seemed believable. I do applaud the fact that the book characters are based on real life heros that is the only reason I am giving it 2 stars.
Sherie
Jun 26, 2011 Sherie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three heart warming stories about Women and the power they have to achieve greatness. I was very touched by each story the authors wrote. I thought they did a great job on comparing the basis behind their stories to the Women honored by Harlequin. These novellas showcased the great causes the award receipts donate their time to each day. It truly opens your eyes to what others have done for others in this world, one step at a time.
Ali
Jan 10, 2014 Ali rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like the idea behind this and learned about some fantastic charities, but I found the actual stories lacking.
Wendy
Nov 04, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I just started this book. I really love Carly Phillips and think she is amazing. The story compassion can't wait tore at my heartstrings and I was crying when I read it. We really need to give more to these children who are dying and their siblings. This book made me want to learn more about Andre sober river of life foundation.
Jill M
Aug 28, 2012 Jill M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had three great stories all inspired by real life heroines. The stories were short in length but filled with lots of heart and meaning. I loved each of them. It was nice to step back and read stories that didn't have the same expected endings. These woman were inspirational and I'm glad we got a chance to hear their stories.
Cursingmama
Jun 01, 2011 Cursingmama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed these short stories from some of my favorite authors. All excellent stories based or inspired by real people who are heroins in the community. A fantastic selection for the beach, treadmill, or curled up on the couch it should come with a warning to pack tissues though.
Holly
This is an excellent collection of stories put together for charity. I really enjoyed all three. Learning about the differnt organizations these authors chose to spotlight was heartwarming.
Dee Savoy
Jul 21, 2011 Dee Savoy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I bought this anthology to read Donna Hill's story. As with all her work, I loved it. Enjoyed the other stories as well. I recommend this book wholeheartedly.
Romance Writers of America
"Compassion Can't Wait" by Carly Phillips in More Than Words, Vol. 7 is a 2012 RITA finalist in the Romance Novella category
Caitie
Only read Carly Phillips and Jill Shalvis's stories. Donna Hill's was a DNF.
Shun Givens
May 06, 2011 Shun Givens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: carly-phillps
Like it very much!
Donna Horowitz
Donna Horowitz rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Leslie R.
Leslie R. marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
  • Holiday Hideout
  • How a Cowboy Stole Her Heart (Larch Valley, #4)
  • When Tempting a Rogue (Victorian Soap Opera, #3)
  • Men of Courage I (Men of Courage, #1)
  • Hearts and Swords: Four Original Stories of Celta
  • Catch Me
  • Her Perfect Stranger (Harlequin Temptation, #878) (The Wrong Bed, #17)
  • More Than Words: Stories Of Strength: Close Call\Built To Last\Find The Way
  • Hot Summer Nights (Bluebonnet, #2.5; Serendipity, #3.5; Hope, #0.5)
  • Heartstrings and Diamond Rings (Playboys, #4)
  • Silver Sparks (Barringer's Pass #1)
  • Sage Creek (Lonesome Way #1)
  • Bed of Roses
  • A Basket of Wishes
  • The Sugar Cookie Sweetheart Swap
  • A NASCAR Holiday 3
  • Legends Lake (Castleough, #3)
  • Tempted by His Target
New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Carly Phillips N.Y. Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Carly Phillips has written over 40 sexy contemporary romance novels that today's readers identify with and enjoy. After a successful 15 year career with various New York publishing houses, Carly is making the leap to Indie author, with the goal of giving her readers more books at a faster pac ...more
More about Carly Phillips...

More Than Words, Volume (7 books)
  • More Than Words
  • More Than Words, Volume 2: What Amanda Wants/The Yellow Ribbon/The Way Home/Shelter from the Storm/Into the Groove
  • More Than Words: Volume 3
  • More than Words Volume 4
  • More Than Words (Volume 5)
  • More Than Words, Volume 6 (Virgin River, #10.1)