The Great Northern Brotherhood of Canadian Cartoonists

The Great Northern Brotherhood of Canadian Cartoonists

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  34 reviews
THE COMPANION GRAPHIC NOVEL TO WIMBLEDON GREEN

Whenever you’re in Dominion, on Milverton Street you will stumble across an arresting array of handsome old buildings. The one with the pink stone façade and the familiar Canadian cartoon characters over the doorway is the Dominion branch of the Great Northern Brotherhood of Canadian Cartoonists, erected in 1935 and the last s...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Drawn and Quarterly

Dominick
What an odd book. It's sort of an alternate history, positing that there's a Canadian cartoonist's society (hence the title) that's existed for decades and has clubs and archives. There is no such organization or archive, and most of the cartoonists Seth describes as belonging to it are also fictitious, but a handful are in fact real (though he omits a great number of real ones readers might have heard of, such as Lynn Johnson), so this book very strangely blurs fact and fancy. There's no story...more
Mark
The "target audience" for this book--a rambling history of Canadian cartoonists, most of them fictional (!), narrated via a tour of the dilapidated old gentleman's clubhouse for a society of cartoonists--can't be more than a few hundred people. Seth himself admits that the book was created as "an indulgence": a sketchbook exercise for his own amusement. However, it's a shame that GNBCC's appeal will be limited to readers interested in a certain kind of highbrow comics, because it's a wonderful b...more
Sara
Interesting, although it might have been more so if I'd recognized a single one of the cartoons Seth was writing about. And I can't hep but feel that the way Seth described other cartoonists' work was imminently lacking -- he goes on for pages about how so-and-so could draw weather so well you'd feel the heat of the sun or the chill of the frost... or how so-and-so could draw faces better than any other cartoonist (etc.)... but then the picture accompanying the narrative is just one of Seth's si...more
Sara Habein
The Great Northern Brotherhood of Canadian Cartoonists is a love letter. Canadian artist and writer Seth creates a simple world where comics are revered and treasured, and it is as lovely as a traditional sonnet. He creates a fictional world so believable that I had to do a bit of Google research to see if I'd just been ignorant of Canadian comics history. The bits of reality mixed with Seth's creations feel authentic, and that's all we can really ask of a good book.

(My full review can be found...more
Jim N
A charming prequel of sorts to Seth's wonderful Wimbledon Green, this book is drawn in a similar style but does more meandering. It's a beautiful little hardcover (you can't make digital books like this) and the author's nostalgia for a lost past comes through, as always. It contains moments I truly loved but overall, the parts don't quite add up to a satisfying whole. Nevertheless, I'd recommend it for anyone who enjoys Seth's work..
Gary Butler Butler
If Seth's "sketchbook" story The Great Northern Brotherhood of Canadian Cartoonists seems too polished and perfect to be derived from such a messy source as an artist's sketch-and-scrawl 'ideas' book, it's because it is. As the noted cartoonist admits in his typically dry-yet-jaunty introduction, the work started in the sketchbook but a good 2/3 of it was redone for the collected edition. Still, he remained faithful to his original instincts and visions -- and what instincts and visions they are...more
Sylvain
Self-conscious nostalgia for something that never was, soaked in self-conscious Canadiana.
Sam Quixote
This is the book Seth was working on before inspiration struck and he abandoned the book unfinished to set off and create "Wimbledon Green" in its entirety. This book could be seen as a prequel to "Wimbledon" which celebrated comics collectors while "The Great Northern Brotherhood" celebrates the comics creators.

The narrator talks about the golden age of cartoonists when there was a great society of them and he recounts their varying, eccentric personalities and the strange comics they created....more
Heather
Readers are taken on a building tour of the Great Northern Brotherhood of Canadian Cartoonists. As we are lead on the tour, a fictitious history of Canadian cartooning is detailed by a narrator who is largely unseen. Despite the book being given top-notch production values including an embossed cover and rounded page edges—the story originated from Seth's sketchbook. As he explains in the 8-point-font preface, he did redraw the worst parts, but this book is not exactly action-packed.

According to...more
David Stewart
Reading The Great Northern Brotherhood of Canadian Cartoonists is like walking through an old, dusty downtown area of some small midwestern town. You can picture what it must have looked like in its heyday when the cobbled roads were still fresh and every store still held a sign for some antique shop or corner cafe instead of the "for rent" and "closed" signs that are more common. It's a graphic novel about the history of cartoonists in Canada, a relatively obscure topic unless you happen to be...more
Derek Royal
Outstanding! I'm not sure what else to say about this title. I love Seth's work, so I was predisposed to like this book anyhow, I think. This one is much like his previous "sketchbook," Wimbledon Green, which I really liked. But whereas WG seemed more of a side project--and Seth, by his own admission, states as much--The Great Northern Brotherhood of Canadian Cartoonists is a full-blown narrative project. One of the things I love about Seth's work is when his comics are ABOUT comics and the hist...more
Thomas Vree
An odd little book, like all his others. It ostensibly tells a history of Canadian cartooning, through the ploy of a tour through one of the declining lodges of the Great Northern Brotherhood of Canadian Cartoonists. I thought the only fictional aspect was this imaginary lodge in a make-believe town. He discusses with quite a bit of accuracy the old Doug Wrights Family, which I recall very well from growing up. (I wonder whether there has ever been a more meticulous visual chronicling of life in...more
Garconniere
I really wanted to like this. After coming across "It's a good life if you don't weaken" I wanted to consume everything he's ever made... I wanted to read Wimbledon Green first, but it was checked out of the library.

The element of the book that irked me the most wasn't so much the self-referential dynamics, but rather Seth's attemps at denouncing (or just addressing?) so much of the sexism and racism in the comics world, even in this fictional one. It just irked me... when describing Kao-Kuk the...more
Damon
I liked this, but it was actually a bit disappointing. I'll admit that may be mostly due to my expectations, but after reading the promotional material, I was kind of expecting a sequel or companion piece to "Wimbledon Green" in content moreso than just in execution.

Where Wimbledon Green is full of adventure, and walks a great line between fussy and funny, this is just... Well, it's literally like taking a sort of boring tour of a sort of interesting place. There's really no "story" here, and si...more
Jeff
I think this is my favorite book by Seth thus far. It's an obvious companion piece to Wimbledon Green, but the context of this story works better for me, as Seth interweaves fictional and real retrospectives of Canadian cartooning history into a surprisingly cohesive narrative. The hallmarks of Seth's familiar style are all here: nostalgia for past decades, an obsession with the minutia of comics history, and an oppressive sense of loneliness and isolation (and an odd sense of joy brought on by...more
Tessa
Feb 26, 2012 Tessa added it
Shelves: comics
Whenever I read Seth's work I always have to remind myself to look at the pictures - the words sometimes take over, making the books like documentaries featuring long shots of static photographs with narration overtop. With another author/illustrator this might be seen as a flaw, but it works for me. He's created this elegaic little black and white world of cartoonists and cartoon collectors and I love to go there.
Mark Young
Didn't really get into this one as much as previous ones. It felt like what it purported to be: a wander through the artist's sketchbook. I'll take it, because I'm a huge fan, but it wasn't much of a story and not a great into for a new reader of his work. Not bad, loved some of the made up comics and the pedestal on which comics are placed in general. Imagine if...

He can do and has done better, however.
Sean Kennedy
Another bittersweet, nostalgic look at a (mostly) fictional world that is in its death throes - a club for Canadian comic book authors. Seth's drawings are charmingly maudlin, and this companion novel to Wimbledon Green only cements for me why Seth is my favourite graphic novelist.
jenn
This was delightful to read. The "story" takes the form of a tour through the headquarters of a fictional cartoonists' society, and it's so satisfying to be fully immersed in that slightly absurd world. Unlike a lot of more narrative graphic novels, I didn't find myself glossing over the art in order to get through the story - Seth's panels are just too engaging for that.
Ian Hrabe
A delightful little exercise loaded with Canadian cartoonist history and (presumably) a lot of fake Canadian cartoonist history. Knowing almost absolutely nothing of Canadian cartooning pre-1990, I have no clue. But it was engrossing, and I wanted to read all the real comics and the fake comics Seth describes on his tour of the GNB double C building.
David Schaafsma
Sort of tongue in cheek and yet reverent tribute to comics and comic history and Canadians. Sketchbook stuff, he says, but it is clear he is so much better in his sketchbook than 95% of comic writers... urbane, sophisticated humor...not a fascinating story, really.. more whimsical than anything, but it kept me interested in its fictional nostalgia...
catherine
delighted by the panel work - a panned out view in which multiple panels make up a single image - and the layered story worked really well. some of the fake comics were so good, i wish they were real. i'd love to read the 13 (or was it more?) series of a lonely trapper in the canadian wilderness. sounded like jack london in picture form.
Sonic
Seth takes boring to a whole new level!

Another equally boring level that is.

While I didn't do any fact checking it seems he has created imaginary nostalgia.

Quite strange, I almost like the idea of that, but this was boring!

Strong drawing made it very "readable" (thus I DID read it) but the "pay-off" was minimal.

Eric
I can't believe that this was essentially a sketchbook. It's a really really good look at a fictional culture exploring the ins and outs of that fake culture and some internal tensions while also offering a meta commentary on comics history and as important, comics historiography!
Adam Lewis Schroeder
Some wonderful moments of imagined old comics series, especially the Inuit astronaut, but without a plot, and character is presented through telling rather than showing. It's enjoyable at times but I won't go back to it nearly as often as I have Seth's "Wimbledon Green."
Megan
Loved this book. So rythmic and mysterious, but down to earth. It left my mind reeling with imaginative possibilities and the artwork was illustrative without imprisoning the stories.
Robin
A work ripe with playful, affectionate teasing and reverence for comics, their creators and fans. Its jabs at archives are particularly entertaining.
Zvi
A charming little story, full of the nostalgia for the vanished Canadian past that is Seth's trademark, and some really nice, tight artwork and invention.
Sharon
Fictitous history of a Canadian society of cartoonists. I appreciate the art and the creativity, but didn't much enjoy reading the book.
Greta
I thought such a place existed, then I found out it didn't. Seth has become my least favourite Canadian for making me feel so gullible.
  • Louis Riel
  • Marble Season
  • Masterpiece Comics
  • Cecil and Jordan in New York
  • Very Casual
Seth is the pen name of Gregory Gallant. Seth is the cartoonist behind the painfully infrequent comic book series PALOOKAVILLE. His novels, which have been translated into 8 languages, include IT'S A GOOD LIFE IF YOU DON'T WEAKEN, WIMBLEDON GREEN, CLYDE FANS BOOK ONE, and the illustrated memoir of his father, BANNOCK, BEANS AND BLACK TEA.

As a book designer, Seth has worked on a variety of projects...more
More about Seth...
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken: A Picture Novella Wimbledon Green George Sprott, 1894-1975 Clyde Fans, Book 1 Palooka-Ville #20