The Face-Changers

The Face-Changers (Jane Whitefield #4)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,133 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Jane Whitefield, legendary half-Indian shadow guide who spirits hunted people away from certain death, has never had a client like Dr. Richard Dahlman. A famous plastic surgeon who has dedicated his life to healing, the good doctor hasn't a clue why stalkers are out for his blood. But he knows Jane Whitefield's name--and that she is his only hope. Once again Jane performs...more
Published February 16th 2011 by Ivy Books (first published 1998)

Frank
This was a really unusual thriller that I really enjoyed. This is actually the 4th in the series of Jane Whitefield novels -- I'll need to find the others in the series. Jane Whitefield is a legendary half-Indian (Seneca) shadow guide who spirits hunted people away from certain death... In this one she is trying to save the life of a prominent doctor who was framed for the murder of one of his colleagues after performing plastic surgery on a man who disappears. A group of baddies are using Jane'...more
Pat
I love this series. It is exciting and different from the usual serial killer/police procedural or legal thriller that i often read.

Jane Whitefield is an Indian "guide" who helps people in danger to disappear. This is the fourth book in the series and Jane has almost met her match. Someone is impersonating her for profit. It is taut and tense and Jane must face danger from every direction.

There are many twists and lots of action for thriller fans. The premise is a little wild but Perry makes it...more
Joe
This book is part of a formulaic franchise, but it is a really good franchise. This, the fourth installment of the series, contains the usual twists and turns, and the head lawman reminds me a bit of the Tommy Lee Jones character from the movie version of The Fugitive. Anyone who takes as many risks as Jane would be dead ten times over in the real world, but she manages to stay alive. One of the things I like about her character is that, as smart as she is, she regularly makes mistakes. One woul...more
Helen
Another delightful Jane Whitefield adventure (#4). Once again she has tried unsuccessfully to be a stay-at-home wife, retired from the business of helping desperate people disappear and escape from their pursuers. Her husband asks her to get back in the game to help the surgeon who was his mentor escape from trumped-up murder charges. In the process, she discovers that someone has been using her name and disappearing techniques in a moneymaking scheme that includes blackmail and murder. This tim...more
Mark Shannon
This is another in a long line of winning thrillers by Thomas Perry. His two series as well as several stand-alone novels are all finely-crafted stories with a lot of suspense. I frequently come away from his books knowing that I'm a little more aware of how the world works. This is the fourth entry in his series about Jane Whitefield, a Seneca Indian "guide" who helps people in trouble disappear from the world. I have read other books in the series that I have enjoyed more, but it would be like...more
Adrienne Campbell
Suspenseful, exciting, brilliant....another great "Jane Whitefield" novel from Thomas Perry.

This time Jane is happily married and has retired from her previous "guide" duties. She's enjoying the life as the stay at home wife of Dr. Carey McKinnon. It's been a year since her last job when she receives an urgent phone call from her husband asking her to meet him at the hospital where he works as a surgeon. She arrives to find the hospital overrun by police cars and press vans.

Her husband has a ne...more
Diane
The fourth book in the excellent Jane Whitefield series, which began in 1995 (7 books as of 2012), is as competent and interesting as its predecessors, but lacks the punch of the earlier books. Jane is no longer a single woman, free to act on her own without answering to anyone. She has been married for more than a year and put her past behind her. Her past is an enigmatic one - she guided people from places where others were trying to kill them to places where they could live safely and anonymo...more
L
It was so terrific to be reacquainted with Jane Whitefield! It's so nice to visit with old friends, no? This particular novel seemed to have a more convoluted plot than others, but that could be just my memory [failing]. Jane thought she was out of the game, that she'd left her "runners" in order to devote herself to hearth & home, family (quite extended) and husband. Not so. Good thing she didn't have time to get too rusty. Somehow, Jane's husband "gets it" when she leaves for weeks at a ti...more
Lisa H.
Not as good as Shadow Woman, IMO - about halfway through the book, it seemed to become sort of mechanical, less personally involving -- difficult to grasp what Jane's plan was, and care what happened to any of the other characters. Still a fascinating concept, and Perry's got to have a twisty mind to plot out all the pitfalls he puts in Jane's way, and the very ordinary ways she gets out of them (not ordinary in my life, thank goodness, but "ordinary" as in "not requiring superhero skills.")

I r...more
Quillracer
It has been several years since I read a book in this series. The last one I read--Blood Money--left me cold for a reason I can't remember. Perhaps I had OD'd on them having read three of them one after the other. I picked this one up on a whim. It was good except for a few small points.
One is Perry's tendency to 'head hop' from one character to another in a chapter, usually at the end but sometimes in the middle. Finding myself suddenly in a new person's head for a few paragraphs after being in...more
Carol/Bonadie
Jane has settled into married life until Carey asks her to help a mentor who is accused of murder. I keep waiting for Jane’s past to catch up with her and ruin her marriage but Perry finds a way to avoid that happening... again. Always fascinating to watch Jane at work, and this time with Carey involved and backing her up one pressure is removed. Jane’s resourcefulness at planning, getting out of scrapes, and staying one step ahead of the bad guys makes for a thrilling ride.
Shelley
This series just gets better. But I will say that this book was more complicated than the previous ones in the series. I found myself backing up a few pages after setting the book down a few times. But a super book.
Patricia
Jane Whitfield is a Native American who rescues people in need and takes the out of the world. She helps them escape from people trying to hurt them and gives them a new life as someone else. In the Face-Cangers, she is asked to go back to work by her husband and help his old mentor.Jane never took money but tells her people that someday they will be ina position to help her. In this book,she discovers people who do what she does but charge large amounts of money .She needs to unmask them in ord...more
Joe Newell
A fairly interesting book, with a very in depth and complicated plot. Worth a read.
Kelly
This is my first Jane book I have read. I really loved it! I think I will got back and read the first 3. This was a good book with a great twists and turns. I loved Jane. She is smart bold woman who stands up to some of the most ruthless villains. I liked the little medical parts that were part of this story. It added an extra side element that I really enjoyed. I would recommend this book and I think I will go pick up the first part of this series.
Carolyn
I'm a big fan of Thomas Perry but have not read any of the Jane Whitefield books. This first I've read is fourth in the series but stands alone fairly well. I'm looking forward to getting all the others (in proper order) and reading through the entire series. I enjoy the detailed descriptions of planning and intense, realistic thought processes of both the pro- and antagonists, as well as the extremely intricate plots.
Susan
If you have never read any of the Jane Whitfield series, get one right now and read it. I can't put my finger on what makes these stories so compelling but they sure are. The Face Changers revolves around a group copying Jane's work and selling it for profit. For those who haven't read any of them, Jane takes people who need to hide and hides them. That doesn't sound interesting. So, you'll have to trust me.
Ross Homer
It has been a number of years since I've read any of the books in this series. Sadly, whatever it was that drew me to this is gone. I simply cannot get into it. I've read the new John Sandford, Stolen Prey, EXCELLENT book btw..., started She Can Run, not bad so far, and re-read the first two Nikki Heat books and STILL can't get into this. I'm not sure I can finish it although I'll give're the ol' college try.
LJ
The Face-Changers - G+
Thomas Perry - 4th in series
Can a woman who's rescued countless victims now save herself from an unknown enemy? After over a decade as a "guide" who helped people in trouble disappear, Jane Whitefield has promised her new husband that she will never work again. But she is asked to perform her magic just one last time.

Jane Whitefield makes a doctor disappear - like this series.
Keri
3.5 stars. This was such a complicated read, that I am not even sure that I understood how the police wrapped it all up. Or I wish we would have gotten a bit more of an explaintion of how they were able to wrap it up. I like Jane Whitefield as a character, but the book got so convoluted plot wise that she got lost in the story to me. The first 2 books of the series still remain my favs.
AmblingBooks
Thomas Perry's ingenius Native American heroine, Jane Whitefield, is lured back into the shadowy world of runners and hunters by an organization that is using Jane's name, reputation, and techniques not to save lives but to destroy them.

Listen to The Face-Changers on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
Dawn
Love the fast paced action and smart moves by this female main character, Jane. Cool to be Jane!! Athletic, smart, beautiful, she takes care of the rest of the flowed world. If you get tired of the similar format of the typical who done it... although this is a mystery, suspense it is different and certainly not typical. Read any of Jane Whitefield novels and you will be hooked too.
Patricia L.
Thomas Perry writes another great book: "The Face-Changers". This fast-paced suspenseful thriller kept me reading through the night and wishing it would be longer. The only distraction, though interesting sometimes, is the Seneca and other tribal histories. Sometimes they just don't fit into the part of the story being told. Other times: perfect.
Lora
The next in the Jane Whitefield books, which takes place after she's married. Her husband asks her to hide a surgeon who mentored him in med school. The guy has been framed by people who have taken over Jane's identity and now the FBI is after him too. Many very creepy people in this story, and just every-so-slightly unbelievable in parts. But still good.
Robert
Interesting stories of a different twist. A woman that hides people in trouble, getting them to safety and providing a new identity. Not a action-packed, or shoot 'em up, or thriller type of stories, but still interesting in a subdued sort of way. Tough to explain, but I like them all the same. I'm a poet and I don't know it. ha-ha!
Lisa
I'd give this 3.5 stars but rounded up. I had read the first three books in this series a long time ago and just recently became aware that three more books have been written since. These are enjoyable but not amazing. I kind of wish they'd get to the point quicker and in this book in particular it ended quite suddenly.
Betty
I've read most of the Jane Whitefield series, and I believe I now have had enough. Jane is a "guide" who helps people who are in trouble to disappear. Jane is able to confound the most sinister plotters and is almost preternaturally prescient. I think I'm probably tired of her. This last book was just overkill.
Barb
I listened to a badly narrated Audible edition which probably affected my opinion of the book itself, but I don't think I'd have given it more than a three in any case. The characters were flat and the plot was intriguing enough at times, but I'll bet that I'll have forgotten most of it in a few months.
Kathy
Great book. I love the Jane Whitefield series. It's very interesting to think that if you ever wanted or needed to "start over" how hard would it be for someone to find you if they were looking. All the steps that Jane takes to hide someone in danger, most of us would never consider.
Sherry
I enjoyed this book so much I "read" two more after it by the same author with Jane Whitefield as the central character. I would give the series a 3 1/2 star rating. The series is a really good audio book listen. It is fast paced. There are some parts that are a little off the wall.
Underappreciated 2 25 Aug 16, 2012 01:06PM
  • Judas Child
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #10)
  • Put A Lid On It
  • Southampton Row (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #22)
  • Under the Dragon's Tail (Detective Murdoch, #2)
  • Even (David Trevellyan, #1)
  • Walking the Perfect Square (Moe Prager #1)
  • Trophies and Dead Things (Sharon McCone, #11)
  • Sullivan's Justice (Carolyn Sullivan, #2)
  • Chinaman's Chance
Thomas Perry was born in Tonawanda, New York in 1947. He received a B.A. from Cornell University in 1969 and a Ph.D. in English from the University of Rochester in 1974. He has worked as a park maintenance man, factory laborer, commercial fisherman, university administrator and teacher, and a writer and producer of prime time network television shows. He lives in Southern California with his wife...more
More about Thomas Perry...
Vanishing Act (Jane Whitefield, #1) The Butcher's Boy (Butcher's Boy, #1) Dance for the Dead (Jane Whitefield, #2) Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3) Runner (Jane Whitefield, #6)