Start by marking “Witch: The True Story of Las Vegas' Most Notorious Female Killer” as Want to Read:
Witch: The True Story of Las Vegas' Most Notorious Female Killer

Witch: The True Story of Las Vegas' Most Notorious Female Killer

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Drawing on extensive interviews with the accused herself, here is the sordid, twisted, and surprising story of Brookey Lee West--a successful technical writer from Silicon Valley who went on a twenty year crime and killing spree.
Published December 6th 2005 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witch

Gary Taylor
Insertion of the femme fatale or wicked woman has served as an irresistible literary device back to the Garden of Eden, where Eve tried to blame it all on a snake. It's only been in the last generation, however, that we learned the fairer sex can actually be more than a fictional antagonist. True crime books and TV documentaries have heralded the emergence of the true-life femme fatale as a uniquely dangerous breed, and some of us just can't get enough.

So, I say thanks to newsman Glenn Puit for
Gill
I was hooked on this book from the first chapter. A really interesting well written book about an evil woman. A definite recommendation to those that like true crime stories.
Amanda Conway
I enjoyed this book and appreciated that actual recorded conversations were used as dialogue. There were little to no typos, which I love, but there were several points where I thought Puit's own choice of words were a bit crass and simply unnecessary. He throws in a few "Fucks", "Piss", and "Bitches" that aren't accounted as dialogue which I feel cheapens Puit's skill as an investigative journalist and writer.

Other than that, I thought this was a very interesting case and story.

Another thing I
♥ Marlene♥
on Sunday, June 15, 2008

Finished it last night. I quite liked this book to my surprise.
It kept me enthralled from beginning till the end.

Elizabeth
Interesting story, poorly written book. Very frustrating.
Brandi
This was a page turner it held my interest and the way it was written was a lot different than any book I've read. You know what happens before you start reading but you still keep reading to see how and why.I really liked the book. It just amazes me what people can do to each other. FYI the photos are Creepy!
grisly story written in sensationalist reporter style.
Lou
If you like real life crimes - it is good. I remember hearing of this after it happened...now, it has nothing to do with witches (Brookey West's family delved into the occult), and that fact has nothing to do with Brookey's murders she committed....the author does have a small paragraph in the Author's Note - stating this is in no way connected to Wiccans in the U.S. or witches, who do not use the carft for evil....just felt it would have been better not to use Witches fr a title - not connected ...more
Brian
Interesting book. Definitely give you a sense of how twisted some peoples lives and families can be. I love the journalistic style with which this book was written and he fact that the author gives you the facts and lets you draw your own conclusions is refreshing. The book gives you a sense of why CBS chose Las Vegas to launch their CSI franchise, if the experts in this book are any indication, you can see the parallels between the real life and the drama of TV.
Jessica Elizabeth
Not the greatest but not the worst. The way the author ended the books falls extremely flat. The synopsis is also very deceiving. This book is more about dysfunctional familial relationships, with a quick dash of murder thrown in. If you're looking for REAL true crime books, stick to people like Ann Rule. All this guy did was prove the just because you're a successful newsprint journalist doesn't mean you can write a book.
Ryan Sugarpants
I loved this true-crime book. It's a quick read and a fascinating look into a nutcase-of-a-woman who enjoyed writing technical instruction manuals, marrying alcoholic native americans and (possibly) killing people. Highly recommended if you enjoy true crime studies, decomposed dumpster bodies, withcraft and oddball people.
Angel Early
Oct 01, 2008 Angel Early rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: True Crime Readers
I learned that some people get away with a lot of shit before getting caught. This woman was truly heartless & somehow capable of getting away with so much crime knowing she had to do it yet unable to charge her. The way she murders her Mom, which finally gets her arrested, is horrible!
Kendra
Liked this book in the begenning and then it just got old! This lady had a very twisted mind, obviously, and I just got tired of reading about it! Its usually hard for me to quit reading a book once Ive started it but I just couldn't finish this one...read all but the last 3 chapters!
Samantha
Sep 20, 2007 Samantha rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: to no one
Liked the concept, hated the execution. This author is very boring. It would have been really great if he had the ability to get into the mind of killer. It pretty much read like a police report. At the very least, it goes to show how parents can really f-up their kids!
Inky
This is true crime, which really ups the ick factor. Talk about ripped from the headlines -- this book takes us into the dark heart of a crime that involves a daughter's murder of her mother. Love the police details and the close look at one satanically messed-up family.
Linda Thomas
This was really a good book, if you are into True Crime and of course, I am. The Author has a way of writing that keeps the book flowing, very smoothly.The subject of the book was a real piece of work. I will read more of Mr. Puit's books.
Melissa
It's a sad story of a bad relationship between a family. Unfortunately, it turns out that this woman was very sick and may have killed her mother, brother, and husband. It's the usual true-crime kind of thing.
Andrew
I enjoy true crime and Vegas-related books, so this was an easy pick. Overall, an interesting, bizarre crime story with gory details. Well-researched by a local Vegas crime reporter and well paced.
Holly Maus Halbur
I thought this book was very interesting. The further into I got, the crazier this woman turned out to be. Overall, it's a good book about a sick and twisted person.
Jen

Saw this story on a episode of Snapped. Interesting to read more about this bizarre family. Thought some of the pictures included were disturbing.
Nick
A story about a dangerous killer and her sadistic/mentally ill/substance abusing family. The story was well researched but some parts were disturbing.
Meghan
A woman kills her mother and puts the body in a trash can in a storage unit. The body is there for years before someone finds it. Interesting...
Deanne
The sort of neighbour who would make me contact my nearset estate agent. There are some people that just feel wrong, and Brookey West is one of them.
Jeannie
I got bored with this one. I remember reading it and being happy to post it so someone else could take it off my hands. Evil woman.
Shawn
Aug 03, 2008 Shawn added it
Not very well written, but it was entertaining in its awfulness. Your life? Yes, pretty good compared to this woman's.
Angela Honiebrowne
Not the easiest read to follow but helluva bizarre true story.
Keep her crazy azz locked up!
Nicole
Fascinating story. Read this book in about 3 days, couldn't put it down.
Lauren
This book was okay. Not in my top true crime novels, but it was okay.
Ashley Sparks
True crime book. Not the best writing, but interesting nonetheless.
Kristen Doherty
This whole family was messed up.
  • The Confessions of an American Black Widow: A True Story of Greed, Lust and a Murderous Wife
  • Pure Murder
  • Because You Loved Me
  • Cellar of Horror
  • The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town
  • Fred & Rose
  • Our Little Secret: The True Story of a Teenager Killer and the Silence of a Small New England Town
  • Murder in Little Egypt
  • Final Truth: The Autobiography of Mass Murderer/Serial Killer Donald "Pee Wee" Gaskins
  • Die, My Love: a True Story of Revenge, Murder, and Two Texas Sisters
  • No, Daddy, Don't!: A Father's Murderous Act of Revenge
  • Under the Bridge: The True Story of the Murder of Reena Virk
  • Through the Window
Father of the Year Ghost: The True Story of One Man's Descent into Madness and Murder Fire in the Desert: The True Story of the Craig Titus-Kelly Ryan Murder Mystery Witch In Her Prime: The Murder of a Political Star