Start by marking “Kitchen Science: A Guide to Knowing the Hows and Whys for Fun and Success in the Kitchen” as Want to Read:

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This book takes the mystery out of creative cooking by requiring love, imagination, art -- and science from the cook. Hillman's years of experience render cooking conundrums comprehensible and transform the way we approach food.
Published October 30th 1989 by Mariner Books (first published September 8th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Kitchen Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kitchen Science

Irina
I learned a lot from reading this, and it's safe to say that I was already a huge food-facts nerd! It really will help me bake and cook better because I understand more scientific principles. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys spending time in the kitchen. The format makes it extra easy to read - it's basically in FAQ form so it's easy to skip around to the topics you're interested in and skim where you feel like it. The author has a pretty interesting tone and matter-of-fact sense of humor t ...more
Tara
Thanks to my friend Aaron for loaning me this one. I'll have to get my own copy; there was simply too much useful information in here for me to remember. As a novice cook, there are a lot of kitchen basics of which I am simply ignorant; this book was the perfect manual for all the simple things I never knew.
Stephanie
I'm not going to finish this, not because it isn't good, but because in 50+ pages, I haven't encountered anything new. Good book on the science of cooking, but Altan Brown already taught me this stuff.
Chelsea
Jun 14, 2007 Chelsea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who eat
Shelves: science
This book is great for understanding the biology and chemistry of why and how things happen in the kitchen.
Chiazotam
...incredibly useful, helpful, and eye-opening!
Miriam
Jun 24, 2013 Miriam added it
Dated. Written in 1981. Revised 1989.
helpful reference
Lu
Feb 22, 2010 Lu marked it as to-read
Shelves: reference, food
Marilou
Scott Bradley
Scott Bradley marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Bastien Kirsch
Bastien Kirsch marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Snickerdoodle
Snickerdoodle marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Margarita
Margarita marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Anthony Martin
Anthony Martin marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Blckfrnk
Blckfrnk marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Moh Xuanyan
Moh Xuanyan marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Sy Koh
Sy Koh marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Great Peasant Dishes of the World The Art of Winning Foundation Grants The Art of Winning Government Grants Art of Winning Corporate Grants Howard Hillman's Kitchen Secrets