Start by marking “Year's Best SF 7” as Want to Read:
Year's Best SF 7

Year's Best SF 7 (Year's Best SF #7)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Once again, the year's finest flights of speculative imagination are gathered in one extraordinary volume, compiled by acclaimed editor and anthologist David G. Hartwell. From some of the most renowned visionaries of contemporary SF -- as well as new writers who are already making an indelible mark -- comes an all-new compendium of unparalleled tales of the possible that w ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published June 4th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Year's Best SF 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year's Best SF 7

Owen Thaxton
I liked teh steampunk story about dog-men romancing courtier women and a massive Queen of England stuffed to the guts in a maze of Buckhingham Palace. I liked the FAR-futurist story in which identity is fluid and rather than coinage, people trade not in compliments, but critiques. I liked teh story about teh ice worms creating a massive planet-sized cerebral network.

Those are teh three stories which I remember reading, something, like, three, four years ago? They're all quite stimulating and coo
Andrew
The quality of short stories in this collection ranged from barely passable to excellent. That there were any mediocre stories at all was a big disappointment. Too many of them felt like unoriginal knock-offs of well known stories.

Here are my ratings for each story:

Computer Virus - 3 stars - Pretty neat, well written, although the ending was a bit of a let down.

Charlie's Angels - 3 stars - Maybe more if you like the faux-film noir private eye stuff.

The Measure of all things - 4.5 stars - Themes
Angel S
Some of the stories I really liked from this book, and so I should read more from these authors:
Computer Virus by Nancy Kress (AI hostage situation)
Charlie's Angels by Terry Bisson (hard-boiled supernatural)
The Measure of All Things by Richard Chwedyk (biopet saurs)
Creative Destruction by Edward Lerner (murder mystery)
The Dog Said Bow-Wow by Michael Swanwick (con pulled on British royalty by a man and a talking dog)
Undone by James Patrick Kelly (woman that can travel through time)

These are the
Pippa
Some very good stories - two by my favourite, Michael Swanwick. Some are too American for an English reader, and I must admit I'd had enough when I was two thirds of the way through the book. This is still a very good selection.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1340425.html[return][return]this was a year when I think the shortlists were at least equal to if not better than Hartwell's selection - there are only two overlaps, Michael Swanwick's 'The Dog Said Bow-Wow' and James Patrick Kelly's 'Undone'. Other stories I liked from Hartwell's selection included Richard Chwedyk's 'The Measure of All Things' (to which the Nebula-winning 'Bronte's Egg' is a sequel) and Ursula Le Guin's 'The Building'.
Rift Vegan
"The Measure of All Things" by Richard Chwedyk
is worth the price of the entire book! His short story series, starting with "The Measure of All Things", about pet saurs, is moving and delightful and sad beyond sad... give me more Axel "The Sun is a STAR!"!!!
Chwedyk

Yeah, okay. There were other good stories in this collection. :)
Cynthisa
From my old book log: "Not a huge short story fan, but it was ok."
bluetyson
Year's best SF 7 / edited by David G. Hartwell (2002)
Veronika
Veronika marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Midu Hadi
Midu Hadi marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Marc
Marc added it
Jul 18, 2015
Benjamin Brown
Benjamin Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Adam Fullerton
Adam Fullerton marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Ron
Ron marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Christopher Weimann
Christopher Weimann marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Simon Lovatt
Simon Lovatt marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
David Brown
David Brown marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
May 27, 2015
Olivia Burdon
Olivia Burdon marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Gary Denton
Gary Denton marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Mark Catalfano
Mark Catalfano marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Greg Browne
Greg Browne marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Bart
Bart marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Gareth
Gareth marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Hank
Hank added it
Mar 13, 2015
Devero
Devero marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • Futures from Nature
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year (Volume 3)
  • A Science Fiction Omnibus
  • Solaris Rising: The New Solaris Book of Science Fiction
  • The Secret History of Science Fiction
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
David Geddes Hartwell (born July 10, 1941) is an American editor of science fiction and fantasy. He has worked for Signet (1971-1973), Berkley Putnam (1973-1978), Pocket (where he founded the Timescape imprint, 1978-1983, and created the Pocket Books Star Trek publishing line), and Tor (where he spearheaded Tor's Canadian publishing initiative, and was also influential in bringing many Australian ...more
More about David G. Hartwell...

Year's Best SF (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Year's Best SF
  • Year's Best SF 6
  • Year's Best SF 8
  • Year's Best SF 9
  • Year's Best SF 10
  • Year's Best SF 11 (Year's Best SF (Science Fiction))
The Dark Descent (Collection) The Hard SF Renaissance The World Treasury of Science Fiction Year's Best SF 14 The Sword & Sorcery Anthology