Start by marking “Getting from College to Career” as Want to Read:
Getting from College to Career

Getting from College to Career

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  37 reviews
How do you get a job without experience and get experience without a job? It's the question virtually every college student or recent graduate faces. In Getting from College to Career, Lindsey Pollak offers the first definitive guide to building the experience, skills, and confidence you need before starting your first major job search. Her 90 action-oriented tips include ...more
Published April 10th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Getting from College to Career, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting from College to Career

Anna
I started reading this book because I was looking for helpful career information for my sixth-grader. (Because if reading this when you're a freshman is good, reading it while you're a middle-schooler is fantastic, right? :) ).

I flagged the bejesus out of this book.

It's perfect for middle-schoolers, high-schoolers, newbie career people, midlife employees, budding entrepreneurs, politicians looking to fully utilize social media, parents...I think that the only subset that this book wouldn't be fa
FreshGrads .Sg
Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real Worlds by Lindsey Pollak promises to give fresh graduates an edge on entering the work force.

The book provides in-depth instructions on how to change your mindset from "student" to "professional", how to educate yourself on the job market and the world such as on office politics and characters, how to start your career search including employing social media, how to network with other professionals, how to gain experience i
Barb Radmore
Getting From College to Career, subtitled 90 Things To Do Before You Join the Real world, is a well ordered discussion of all the many aspects to be considered when entering the job market for that all important first job after college. After all the time and ever increasing college costs it is more important than ever to be sure that those long college years pay off.

This book should be read by all college students at the beginning of their college years (perhaps even at the end of their senior
Alexandria
Apr 15, 2014 Alexandria rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students and Job Seekers
I found this book to be incredibly informative. I have underlined, starred and dog eared many pages in this book to reference in the future. The book covers 90 tips on things a person can do and should remember while searching for a career. The tips are good for anyone from High School students to College Students to everyone who is unemployed or looking to move on to another career.

It's not just about career statistics, finding a job, impressing the interviewer and revamping resumes. It's also
Lexi
A *must* read for all young adults! I recommend reading this as early as mid sophomore year and re-reading as soon as junior year ends. I can't emphasize enough how much this book revolutionized how I consider myself in a professional world. The results were almost instant.
Anthea
Wished I had this book before I entered college to be honest!

This book is full of insightful tips and useful advice for a college grad. However, I feel people should read this during high school/post high school because that it where you start building connections and portfolio. At that age, I still didn't know the importance of it. I only knew it when I've finished college and internship. Dang it!

Must read for everyone especially people who are starting out their careers and don't know what t
Anna
I only read this for my dad's benefit. He has given me dozens of self-help/advice/life-planning books over the years, and I figured I could indulge him at least once.

Echoing a previous reviewer, I am not the target audience for this book. It was written for people who are really into themselves and the idea of (mostly corporate) ~success.~ At one point the writer refers to a career as "doing what you were put on this earth to do," which sounds pretty fucking grandiose to me.

But I guess that's h
Practical, common sense tips presented in a quick-read format. You can jump around to the topics that are most relevant to you, and the book follows the whole career planning process from choosing a career path, job searching, resumes to interviewing. Since Pollak works for LinkedIn, she gives great advice about how to leverage your online presence and utilize social media in your job search and as a professional.

Career development is a PROCESS, and Pollak spends time prompting the reader to as
Andrea
Not bad advice, but really wasn't anything that I haven't read before. It got a little repetitive toward the end, but there were some decent tips in there.
Chella McLelland
Great advice, fun and engaging to read. This is a very friendly book that invites you to better yourself along the way.
Julie
This is a great book for people in college and those ready to get started with their career. It is very easy to read, written in short "digestible" bites that is not overwhelming. It is easy to read little bits at a time and feel like you have accomplished something. It is full of up-to-date and useful information, clearly written by someone who knows her stuff. After looking at the book at the library, I ended up buying a copy for my daughter - and she liked it too!
Bkaproth
Coming out of my PhD, this was by far the best career book that I read. Well written and presented in a way that let's you flip to any section of interest. Really good for informational interviews and networking, with great email templates, especially for those awkward emails where you are probing about a position.
Leigh
I wish I had read this book during my senior year of college (I read it about a year after I graduated, which I suppose isn't too late at all). The first year out of college was the strangest year of my and most of my friends' lives. Sometimes new graduates just need someone to help them move forward and get a foothold in the working world, and this book did that for me.
Diana Dams
For someone currently in the process of joining the "real world" - this book has some great advice and reminders to aid in that transition. It is a relevant, up-to-date, and practical guide - especially for social networking aspects and tips on how to use technology to your advantage. I will definitely be using this book as a reference as I continue my job search!
Lisa
Sep 03, 2008 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: college students
I learned a lot from this book. It's not your typical self-help book, it offers pertinent and fun advice and gives you tips to take action. Regardless of whether you think your prepped for your career, or if you're completely directionless, you can get a lot out of this book. I think it should be required reading for college seniors.
Emily Smith
Awesome book to read!!! I read this book at the beginning of my college career and plan on reading it again during my senior year ( next year). Helpful tips from resume writing to networking to the importance of finding an internship. This would be a great book to read for a career planning class...awesome read! Lindsey rocks.
Sarah Jane
I wish that somone had given me this book while I was still in college, maybe even the summer before my freshman year. Even though I am almost year post-college there was still tons of applicable advice in this book and I have list and list of to-do's after reading it.
Melissa
If you are currently in college or a recent graduate, this is a MUST have to prepare you for the real world, get your foot in the door, and helps you stand out in a crowd of the desperately unemployed. I almost didn't want to share this because the tips were so good!
Jess
This book prepared me for when I need to decide which career to pursue. I have no idea, but this book helped rul out so many possibilities with one sentence: Do what you desire. That's what this book sums up to, along with many other helpful hints.
Ambriss Rembulat
love this guide from Lindsey Pollak. She does a great job of explaining and breaking down the steps every student should take to start their career. I really think this is a great book to give to new college students to help them prepare early.
Aaron Lozano
I thought this book had a lot of wonderful ideas. I also have used some of them in my class already. However, the tone was at times a tad condescending, and I can already hear the complaints from my students if I made them read it.
Emily
While Pollak gave some really good ideas about things to do in order to land a great job out of college I feel like the book is geared toward about college sophomores. Which would be fine, if I weren't already beyond that.
Kristie
Good tips for creative ways to look for a job. Definitely learned a lot about ways to network and get prepared for a career. Not something I will personally apply overall, most likely.
Cecelia DeStefano
A fantastic book for any college student. Definitely something I'm going to read again and probably use as a reference book. I'll be keeping this one on my desk for a while.
Elaine
Apr 05, 2013 Elaine marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Some of these 90 things are obvious, some are not. This is a useful book if you're just starting to think about working.

This book is in Birdsong 207.
Morgan McAlpin
Jul 03, 2012 Morgan McAlpin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am loving this book so far. It has great tips for college students! Everyone ages 18-22 needs to read this book before graduation.
Donna
Read the library copy, and now plan on purchasing for my college-age kids. Really pertinent, helpful info. in an easy-to-read format.
Miro Nguyen
A comprehensive guide for moving from college to career. This book should be available to all college students.
Jan 08, 2012 Jennifer marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer by: Colleague
This was recommended by a coworker who specializes in career coaching, so I have high hopes for it.
  • You Majored in What?: Mapping Your Path From Chaos to Career
  • Life After College: The Complete Guide to Getting What You Want
  • Brag!: The Art of Tooting Your Own Horn without Blowing It
  • 20-Something, 20-Everything: A Quarter-Life Woman's Guide to Balance and Direction
  • Ask For It: How Women Can Use the Power of Negotiation to Get What They Really Want
  • Basic Black: The Essential Guide for Getting Ahead at Work (and in Life)
  • They Don't Teach Corporate in College: A Twenty-Something's Guide to the Business World
  • How Remarkable Women Lead: The Breakthrough Model for Work and Life
  • The Best Advice I Ever Got: Lessons from Extraordinary Lives
  • Me 2.0: Build a Powerful Brand to Achieve Career Success
  • All Work, No Pay: Finding an Internship, Building Your Resume, Making Connections, and Gaining Job Experience
  • Knowing Your Value: Women, Money, and Getting What You're Worth
  • What Color Is Your Parachute? 2012: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers
  • Single: The Art of Being Satisfied, Fulfilled and Independent
  • Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-By Step Lessons
  • Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office: 101 Unconscious Mistakes Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers
  • 101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions
  • What's the Alternative? Career Options for Librarians and Info Pros
Becoming the Boss: New Rules for the Next Generation of Leaders The Savvy Gal's Guide to Online Networking (or What Would Jane Austen Do?) Smarter, Faster, Better: Strategies for Effective, Enduring, and Fulfilled Leadership