A Cookie Before Dying (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #2)

A Cookie Before Dying (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  354 ratings  ·  48 reviews
On a stormy night, Olivia Greyson and her Yorkie discover the body of a man stabbed to death-which looks suspiciously like the intruder seen fleeing the local health food store The Vegetable Plate. Charlene Critch, owner of The Vegetable Plate, has a grudge against Olivia's cookie cutter shop, but could Charlene be hiding a secret serious enough to kill for?
Mass Market Paperback, 295 pages
Published 2011 by Berkley Prime Crime

Laura Watts
Another great book from Virginia Lowell. Every time I read a book in this series I want a sugar cookie!

Olivia , how does she keep finding bodies. But she does, and this time it hits close to her business and her family. Can she help her brother out of some trouble with a girl? Will her brother and this girl get together in the next book?

Del, poor Del, he is always coming to the rescue of Olivia. I wonder what he needs to talk to her about? Is it their relationship or his past relationship?

Are...more
Lindig
I just can't get worked up about cookie cutters. And they seem to be way peripheral to the "mystery." These characters, while obviously meant to be interesting with lots of quirks and tics, don't quite gel as real people.

And in cozies, I'm getting tired of the spry senior Mom who's nosy and interfering and still pushing buttons. And the children react as though they're still twelve.

No more of this series for me.
Tamara Temple
Second offering from V. Lowell of her cozy mystery series about Olyvia Grayson, owner of the Gingerbread House, a cookie cutter shop. Filled with the typical characters, relationships, and so on, as well as a bonafide mystery to solve! Some more twists and turns in this novel than the first, a wholly delightful read.
Mary Ann
Love this series it made me start a cookie cutter collection. And the bantering between the sisters is true to life. Waiting for the next book!
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This book was fun to read but also had a good solid murder mystery. Our sleuth, Olivia Greyson, is the owner of a Cookie Cutter Emporium named the Gingerbread House. It specializes in cookie cutters, cookies, books about cookies...well you get the idea. A boutique store.

Unfortunately, next door is a restaurant, "The Vegetable Plate" owned by a rather over zealous health conscious woman and there is a rivalry that is acrimonious to say the least.

While cleaning up an act of vandalism, Olivia spies...more
Heather
Synopsis (from BN.com): On a stormy night, Olivia Greyson and her Yorkie discover the body of a man stabbed to death-which looks suspiciously like the intruder seen fleeing the local health food store The Vegetable Plate. Charlene Critch, owner of The Vegetable Plate, has a grudge against Olivia’s cookie cutter shop, but could Charlene be hiding a secret serious enough to kill for?

My thoughts: This is the second installment of Virginia Lowell’s Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery Series. I have to admit...more
Sonja
Another good cozy. I like how the characters are starting to become more dynamic especially the minor characters. It adds more interesting to an otherwise gentle mystery. I'll continue reading the series if I can find more at the library.
Sue Ross
What a fun series!!! You get cookies, hot guys, best friends, and enemies. In this one, Olivia and Maddie have to deal with Olivia’s ex, a neighbor who is totally against anything sweet, ie, cookies, one hot Latin dancer, a school friend who has been in a wheel chair and a possible ghost. When Olivia finds her front yard littered with fliers from her next door neighbor, a natural food seller, the trouble begins and it doesn’t stop until the end of the book. There are mob hints in the book, a pos...more
Allison
Loved the character, I think I identify with Maggie the most though. She cracks me up. And her hyperactivity reminds me of myself. Enjoyed the story line and there were parts that made me want to learn to dance. Also enjoyed the interaction between Livie and Del and their continuing courtship. Not sure what a Duesenberg cookie cutter would actually look like nor how you could differentiate it from other car shapes but I rolled with it. (Get it? "Rolled" with it...a pun - never mind). Final take...more
Susan
The dead man near the small town's bandstand is a stranger to many of the local people, including cookie store owner Olivia Greyson. But some people knew him only too well, including Livie's kid brother Jason, who's confessed to killing him. Livie knows Jason is protecting someone, but the only way she knows to get him out of trouble is by finding the real murderer. I do question whether anyone can live for days on decorated cookies--not even chocolate!--and coffee, but I guess that's why we cal...more
Grey853
In the second book of the series, there's a lot more going on than the first book. Unfortunately, a lot of that activity is a bit disjointed and flat. The rivalry between Olivia's cookie and cookie cutter store and the local vegetarian restaurant could've been interesting, but several of the characters were just too extreme. The mystery itself and how she goes about "helping" to solve it while breaking several laws, well, it was totally unbelievable.

❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
A mystery about two women who bake cookies and no recipes at the end of the book. :)

A found this to be a good, solid mystery with lots of suspects, lots of red herrings and an interesting solution. The characters continue to develop and the author does a credible job with the scene. I think I like Maddie more than the main character, Olivia, but that's probably just because she's the irreverent, kicky one. All in all a fun, quick read.
Darkand
I liked this second installment of the cookie cutter mysteries but I have one complaint. Towards the end of the book, there is a section where Livie and Maddie discuss Valentina but they did not know her name was Valentina until later in the book. It was actually very confusing. Aside from that, it was an interesting and enjoyable read. I'd like to see a bit more of a romance develop with Livie and the sheriff, Del.
Nancy H
The second entry in a cozy mystery series set in a cookie shop, this one features the rivalry between Olivie (Livie) Greyson's cookie shop and her neighbor Charlene's vegetarian health food store. First Livie's lawn is trashed, then Charlene's store is vandalized, and there is much acrimony involved as the mystery deepens and Livie tries to find out who committed both crimes, as well as the ensuing murder.
Ali
I still really like this series, and the only reason I'm giving it 4 stars is because there was an editing continuity error that really annoyed me; the name of a character key to the mystery was mentioned conversationally as if the main characters already knew who they were before they actually "discovered" who that person was. A minor inconsistency, but I'm surprised the editor did not catch it.
Nicole Cadet
The second book in the series, this time the writing is much cleaner and better paced. Characters from the previous book are woven in and out of the story line, and new characters brought in without cluttering up the storyline. Although this one (IMHO) is a bit more predictable than the first, the crafting of the story is much more interesting than the first novel.
Brigitta {Percy Jackson Lover}
I just loved this book. Like in Cookie Dough or Die, the characters are very loveable and Spunky is adorable. I enjoyed the tension between Olivia and her almost boyfriend, Sheriff Del. It made me laugh when he told her to stop investigating and she just couldn't help it. I loved that Olivia is very generous, sarcastic, and fiercely loyal to her friends.
Casey
another enjoyable cookie mystery. getting to know the characters better now, and finding them pretty (pretty) realistic in actions/thoughts. Once again I didn't figure out the mystery, well I almost did, but right as my brain got to woring it was revealed! Ah, well,..there's always next time,...at least I hope there will be another cookie mystery!
Sandybear76
Olivia and Maddie find flyers all over their shop's yard, protesting the sugar in cookies. They suspect the owner of the shop next door, a vegetable/fruit health store, of papering the cookie cutter shop's yard. The health store owner's ex-husband is found dead in the town square and Olivia's little brother is arrested for the murder.
Alexis
This book was just okay. I didn't think it was terrible but it wasn't something I would read again. I felt like the mystery was a bit simplistic and that unnecessay elements were added to it simply to make it fit a full length novel. There also wasn't a lot of development in the heroine's personal life.
Wyshona D. Lawson
I thought I might have missed a novella between book one and two, but I guess there was just some inserted information in the book that the author put in to move the story along. Not bad, but not as good as the first book. Also, if all the murders are revealed in the shop, that's going to get old.
Marie
This second book in the series is even better than the first! The author keeps you turning the pages to see who the real killer is and until you.....Well I won't ruin it. All I have to say is if you want a real page turner in the cozy mystery genre, then this one fits the bill!
Susan
As well-written as the first but with the same serious flaws at the first. I took another star off for that this time. Heroine's actions towards the end make relatively little sense. Her big plan really shouldn't have worked (again).
Gretchen
This second book in the series was pretty good too.I like the characters. Livie finds a dead man in the park and her brother confesses to the murder (to protect his girlfriend). Livie has to find the true murderer to save Jason.
Brenda Kirton
I like the characters in this book. The mystery was well done, I did guess who the bad guy two-thirds the way through but it wasn't obvious and I had to keep reading to find out the reasons and such.
Kim
Feb 24, 2012 Kim rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Second book, and still not grabbing me. The characters are flat and I have no sympathy with them or desire to see them do well. Will not be wasting any more time with this series.
Moondance
I really want to like this series. I can't seem to relate to the characters. Olivia is involved with another murder. This time her brother is the suspect.
Sue
a fun read, parts of it moved rather slowly. now i have to go back and read her first book, as some of the things that happen in this one refer back.
Jeanette
I enjoyed this book immensly. I like the characters and the storyline. I will read more of this series if I can find the books.
  • Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • Peach Pies and Alibis (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #2)
  • Thread Reckoning (An Embroidery Mystery, #3)
  • Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)
  • 50% Off Murder (Good Buy Girl Mystery #1)
  • Death in Four Courses (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #2)
  • Death by the Dozen (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #3)
  • Fruit of All Evil (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #2)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Soup Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Mind Your Own Beeswax (Queen Bee, #2)
  • File M for Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #3)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Lost and Fondue (A Cheese Shop Mystery #2)
  • Rotten to the Core (Orchard, #2)
Cookie Dough or Die (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #1) When the Cookie Crumbles (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #3) One Dead Cookie (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #4) Cookies and Scream (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #5)