Cat Heaven

Cat Heaven

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  316 ratings  ·  43 reviews

"The way to Cat Heaven is a field of sweet grass, where crickets and butterflies play!"
With a gentle, playful rhyme, Newbery Medalist Cynthia Rylant explores all the ways our beloved cats enjoy Cat Heaven, as she did for dogs in the bestselling companion book, DOG HEAVEN. Her shining artwork illustrates a world of peace for cats in Heaven, where no tree is too tall for ex...more
Published September 1st 1997 by Blue Sky Press (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Cat Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Heaven

Carolyn
A great book to give to anyone who has suffered the loss of their beloved cat. Helped me after the death of Skittles, my Siamese 16th birthday gift & lap kitty extraordinaire.
Sarah Sammis
Jun 21, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sarah by: The Backyardigans
Both of my children have chosen Cat Heaven by Cynthia Rylant. Harriet chose it because it has cats. Sean, I think he picked it because he recognized the author's name. Both kids though respond with "what a strange book" after I've read it to them.

Cat Heaven offers a simplistic view of what heaven would like to cats who have died. They can share the bed with God, drink milk, have catnip and all sorts of other things cats like to do.

I suppose the idea is to ease the pain for children who have lost...more
Diane
Cat Heaven, is a good book, written in a sensitive manner, about what supposedly happens when a cat dies. It's a faith based story, about what the cats encounter on their way to heaven such as, sweet grass to play in, crickets and butterflies, plenty of milk and even catnip. The book talk's of God's kitchen with all of their favorite foods, looking down at their former family from heaven, and getting to sleep in God's bed. Of course the cat's are happy there, because "all cats love heaven."

The i...more
Christina Cox
I bought this book when our cat schmutz passed away about 8 years ago on the recommendation from my sister in law, Donna. I read it to the kids over and over again and we wrote a loving note inside to schmutz. Just yesterday our loving cat of 19 years, schwarz, passed away and the kids lovingly remembered this story and talked about schwarz and schmutz reuniting in Cat Heaven...also in the process we have written a lovely note inside to schwarz. It brings smiles to our faces to think of our kitt...more
Angela
Another winner from Cynthia Rylant. While I'm not crazy about the illustration style (kitty is a word my 10-month-old recognizes, but these simplistic drawings don't much look like the kitties he knows), I think everything else about the book is perfect. It captures everything that would make a place heavenly for a cat. I think it would be great for anyone who's lost a cat recently, not just for kids. One little thing I like is the various skin tones used for the angels and God: kind of a multi-...more
Laurie
Sara Truog
I don't usually review pictures books in here, but I wanted to mention this one because it really helped us today. A little more "God talk" than we are used to in our house, but after the death of our beloved cat Gonzo, my kids really responded to the idea of a cat heaven and picture him there, surrounded by all of the things he most loved. I had to have Daniel read it aloud to his sister because it really broke me up. A sweet and touching book.
Mary Drew
Dec 14, 2009 Mary Drew rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 2 to 6 or anyone who has lost a cat
Recommended to Mary Drew by: the title - it's about cats
10) Rylant, C. (1997). Cat Heaven. New York: Blue Sky Press.
(Ages 2 – 6) I’d never heard the term “bibliotherapy” before MLIS 567, but this book fits into that category. Short, rhyming passages and bright, simple illustrations are comforting for those whose cat has recently died, and even those whose pet is still alive. It’s even comforting for me: earlier this year, my 15-year-old cat died. : (
Laren
Here's a book I sent my niece when her cat died, but I didn't read it myself until recently when I lost my beloved furball. It is a nice change from all that rainbow bridge crap where the story makes your cat wait for your death before going to heaven by crossing the rainbow bridge with you. Here the cat goes right to heaven and has a wonderful time, just the way it should be.
Lori
I was reading a bedtime story to a friend's daughter and son and ironically, this was the book on the shelf. (We currently have a cat who is terminally ill.) So I read the book and remembered how much I love Cynthia Rylant's words and illustrations. Simple yet profoundly artistic. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves cats.
Patty
Illustrator: Cynthia Rylant
Age: any age
Summary: A story about cat heaven.
Applications/Uses: Not really necessary for a classroom, but good to have on hand if a student has lost a pet cat and needs to read something related to the death of their animal.
Themes/Connections: Pets, life after death
Awards: None
Angela
a good introduction to how much God loves us in a whimsical way, also a good way to introduce a discussion about what their impressions of heaven might be and how it might be different--and not as scary as we may have learned.
Erin
What would I do without my friend, Amy? Thank you for this gem of a book, one that made me smile and weep, both. And, the first book Michael Finn said, "AGAIN!" to, after reading it through together once.
I miss Mr. Bodie.
Peacegal
In my entire adult life I have only wept over a single book. This is it.

Humane education themes include pet loss, the idea that it’s ok to grieve, and bringing pets into the fold of our religious beliefs.
Kelsey Q
My mom gave this to me when we had to put down my cat many years ago. I didn't really believe in God even back then but it's a lovely book and it made me feel much better. It still makes me cry.
Tara
I loved this book. It gave me chills. This would be a great book for anyone who has lost a cat. It really hit home with me considering my cat died about 6 months ago.
Joy
A comforting book for anyone who has lost a beloved kitty. I adore the lively, folk art illustrations and the text is peaceful, playful and soothing.
Monica
ANother library book for my daughter. She loves cats and we recently had a small kitten die we found on the side of the road, so this book made her smile.
Shari
Very nice Western-religion based story about what happens to our beloved felines when they die. Wished I'd had it for our kids when we lost Annie and Tasha.
Autumn
This story would be really nice for kids whose cat has just died. It's a nice book anyway with nice rhyme and simple illustrations.
Kate
Oct 09, 2007 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cat lovers
Shelves: childrens
Given to me after the death of my cat, a long-time companion, I was charmed by the sentiment in the book.
Elizabeth
Thank you to my friend Jill for giving me this book when my cat died. It made grieving easier.
Aspasia
All you cat lovers will need tissues when reading this to the kiddos. I know I did.
Michele
A lovely, comforting book for anyone who loves & has lost a sweet kitty friend.
elissa
We read this at our cat Billie's funeral (she was 17 years old when she died).
Lori
Jun 26, 2008 Lori added it
Still makes me cry about my dear departed Jules whenever I read it.
Michele Reno
Oh, good lord. I cried like a baby when I read this.
Lisa
I dare you to read this and not cry.
Shay
very cute, but made me sad
Lauren
Cat Heaven, by Cynthia Rylant, tells the story of where cats go after they have passed away. It puts a very positive spin on the death of a pet and sends a great message to kids. I think due its positivity, this book would be great for kids who have just lost a pet. It would comfort them and let them know that their pet is in a safe and happy place. I especially love that one of the pages says, "She will watch the old house where she once lived and wandered, and the people who loved her inside."...more
  • The Tenth Good Thing About Barney
  • Doctor Ted
  • Wabi Sabi
  • A Child's Calendar
  • Splish, Splash, Splat!
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...
The Relatives Came Missing May When I Was Young in the Mountains Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1) Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years