Start by marking “Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)

Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  4,242 ratings  ·  1,046 reviews
YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING.

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the P...more
Published November 26th 2013 by Harlequin TEEN

To ask other readers questions about Pawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pawn

Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle MeadMind Games by Kiersten WhiteThe 5th Wave by Rick YanceyThe Program by Suzanne YoungLet the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger
First In Series (2013)
39th out of 936 books — 2,114 voters
Escaping Reality by Lisa Renee JonesThe 5th Wave by Rick YanceyReal by Katy EvansBranded by Abi KetnerThe Law of Attraction by N.M.  Silber
New Series (2013)
64th out of 865 books — 2,298 voters

More lists with this book...

Giselle
For the 82323234287637's book in its genre this year alone, Pawn was surprisingly original with a refreshing triangle-free minimalist romance and a plot that had tons happening throughout, not just anticipation for the ending. As my first Aimee Carter book I can't tell you how it compares to her Goddess Test series, but I was impressed with this one for sure.

The world building, at first, sounds like your average dystopian. Society is divided by numbers given to you after a big test on your 17th...more
Saniya(Will Herondale is mine)
All that hardcore blurb with the heroine named Kitty?
Now, seriously?

I mean, it will be just so funny to read. xD Just imagine.

She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves...

As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter...

Hero: "KITTY, LOOK OUT!"

Kitty: "You...you left me for that girl?

Hahaha, I can actually imagine the hero saying that and Kitty bei...more
Khanh (Kittens, Rainbows, and Sunshine)
"But if you’re careful—if you protect your pawns and they reach the other side of the board, do you know what happens then? Your pawn becomes a queen.”
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book. If you had asked me what I was going to give this book after the first few chapters, without question, I would have said "1." Therefore, it was with a considerable amount of surprise that I found myself enjoying the rest of the book as much as I did. This does not mean that the rest of the book wa...more
Lauren DeStefano
I read this, I did.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Cyna
So Pawn. It's a dystopian novel by Aimee Carter.

what can you do

t-th-th-th-th-that's all folks

Ugh, I wish. I mean, that is basically the gist of it, if you wanted the tl;dr version, but there's so much absurd fuckery that no joke, I actually considered doing a chapter-by-chapter snark-along. This book is just fuckin' perfect for it, fuckery abounds on every page. However, one (and a half) read-throughs were enough for me, so instead, this review is just going to be long. Very long. So long. I'm sorry.

Also, SPOILERS YO

The biggest shame of...more
Blythe
Rating is either 4 or 4.5 stars.

Excellent excellent excellent. I have an annoyance or two, but I loved this as a whole regardless. Review to come.

ALSO, false alarm! No love triangle! Just another bonus point for this book and its awesomeness.
Glass
Review from Ja čitam, a ti?

I didn't expect much. A lot of my friends didn't like Goddess Test by Aimee Carter and they warned me that I might not like Pawn. I decided to give it try anyhow and I'm glad I did. Pawn maybe did start a little bit "clumsy", but premise of this novel is so intriguing and the rest of it was really good.

One corrupted family, one low ranking girl, unexpected circumstances and few new friends. Judging by available advanced copies of books, it looks like dystopian genre is...more
Jasprit
With the dystopian genre so exhausted, it’s nice when a book comes along which seems to offer something different. And Pawn for me did start that way. In Kitty’s world everyone at the age of 17 is put through a test, this determines the individuals “ranking” and what sort of job they end up with afterwards. The higher the number the individual ends up with the better job they end up getting. Kitty has the potential to do well but ends up messing up her test and leaves with a III. It’s not the be...more
Evie
Think you've read all the dystopians out there and nothing can possibly surprise you, let alone blow your mind to pieces? Well, think again! Aimee Carter's latest YA novel has everything an awesome dystopian story should have - a thrilling, well-thought-out premise, complex world-and-character building, breathtaking action and a fabulous shock factor with a side of WOW! It's fresh. It's original. And it's certainly worth picking up.

The world Aimee Carter has crafted is quite a fascinating one....more
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you Harlequin Australia for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

After quite a displeasing debut series by Aimee Carter (The Goddess Test) I wasn't exactly enthused to try Pawn. However when the early reviews started to roll in, I was surprised by the constant great number of positive feedback Aimee Carter's latest was receiving. So I hopped on that train, and was not at all dissatisfied.

Kitty Doe hasn't had the...more
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
Dec 01, 2013 Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: folks looking for lamer divergent part deux
2.5

Pawn is jumping the bandwagon of dystopian books bound for great sales but ultimately not satisfying legions of readers. It had a lot of potential to be realized but in the end, it failed by filling it all up with boring action scene after another and lackluster character, which is quite a feat now that I think about it, because around 100 pages initially were written to lay down the groundwork for the characters.

So commercially? It'll be a hit.
And aesthetically? Flop, flop, floppity-flop!

In...more
Anne
Carter's Goddess Test series was sort of hit and miss for me, but I found it mostly enjoyable. So when I got the chance to read this one, I wasn't quite sure what to expect.
Beyond the can she switch from mythology to dystopia question, I was also a bit concerned about the fact that I've read far too many dystopian novels lately. It seems like about every third novel I read has a post-apocalyptic theme to it. Then again, nobody's holding a gun to my head, now are they? If I'm getting a tad blown...more
~Tina~

Once you turn 17 your life is ranked by the number branded to the back of you neck. It establishes your importance into society. A society that promises that the citizens will be taken care of, but you have to give back first. Everyone has their role to play, but it just so happens that Kitty Doe is a III (3)…well, it’s better then being a I (1) and going Elsewhere. Still, the life she was hoping for with her boyfriend, Benjy feels even more impossible so when Prime Minister Daxton offe...more
Kat Kennedy
It should probably be illegal to keep reading an authors work when you’ve so thoroughly panned it twice before but, you see, I was curious. Take away the horrible plotting and burdensome story of The Goddess Test, could Carter write something I liked, because I always suspected she could. If Pawn had continued in quality from the first half into the second, then I’d probably be giving it four stars right now.

Pawn started out very promising indeed. Kitty, ranked a three in a society that lives an...more
Kathylill
I really liked the first half of the book, unfortunately the second half took a turn in the wrong direction for me. So I started to skip over the next chapters and by the time I reached the ending I was seriously not a fan of this book any longer.

One of the things I so appreciated at the start was the description of the totalitarian / dictatorial political system with exams that define your future life once and for all, prosecution of political suspects, forced abortion after the first child an...more
Megan (Book Brats)
Pawn by Aimee Carter

Maybe it was the great hype off Twitter that got me, or maybe it was the synopsis that promised something fresh and exciting. I picked up PAWN and dove in pretty quickly expecting a new and engaging dystopia about a girl who takes the place of the Prime Minister’s daughter in a future dystopia. I should have known better. Really, I should have known given my previous experience with Carter’s THE GODDESS TEST and the increasingly overflowing dystopia market filled with 50 vari...more
Natalia
"At least now you have enough food to eat," he said. "At least now you can sleep safe in your bed and not fear your neighbors ransacking your home and murdering your entire family."

"Why would I fear my neighbors when my government does it for them?"

Yes, this piece of dialogue describes perfectly well the kind of society we deal with in this book.
Kitty Doe lives in a world where everyone is ranked into castes ranging from I to VII, with I being viewed upon as the wastes and sent Elsewhere, and V...more
Farrah
Thrilling, romantic, and full of secrets and betrayals, Pawn was a wild ride of a book. And I loved it! It was absolutely wonderful. I really enjoyed reading this book.

Kitty was a strong heroine. I liked that her reactions were believable. When she heard of a rebellion that, if she joined, would put her life in danger, she wasn't about to go near that. I think that's a realistic reaction, which made Kitty seem more real. Of course, when she found out what was at stake, she knew she had to join f...more
Matt
I liked this book.

I liked the allegory and metaphors touching on modern issues in education, the uneven nature of opportunities and upward mobility for citizen in the US, and the 99% vs. the 1%. The first 4 chapters were magic.

At the end of the day, it's a totally decent dystopian novel about a future America, roughly 100 years from now (early 22nd century). There is a caste system in place, we all have numbers I through VII, roman numeral style tattoos, and the ruling family is always re-electe...more
Emily Anne
Pawn was a thrilling read, and no where near your typical, old-hat dystopian. Aimee Carter managed to create a world that wasn’t a copy cat, and I could tell she put a lot of work into making the future society seem unique and complete. Be on the lookout for this novel.

It seems to me that a lot of dystopians have love triangles (Hunger Games, The Selection, Shatter Me etc.) so I was elated when I realized that Pawn did not have a bothersome triangle of love and angst. I am not even against love...more
Ariana
I am still a bit unsure about this one. Dystopian stories can be a hit or a miss with me and this one falls somewhere in between. I am rounding this up to 3 stars for now. Review to follow.
If it ain't good I don't read it !
I don't really like the summery but anything this women writes I will read :)
Tez
"My choices in life have now been reduced to cleaning sewers or whoring myself out to strangers."

Kitty Doe chooses the latter, because doing sex work in D.C. is supposedly preferable to doing sanitation work in Denver. But this is fiction, and thus Special Snowflake City - she's probably the only person auctioned off as a sex slave who doesn't have to have the sex.

"Did you know that eye colour is the one thing we cannot change?"

Aren't all babies born with blue irises, but they change over time?...more

4.5/5 stars

I am a huge fan of dystopia and I also enjoyed Aimee Carter's Goddess Test series. So I was very excited to get to read Pawn.

The narrator is Kitty Doe. She just turned 17. In this world you get tested on your 17th birthday. You are then ranked I to VII and are treated accordingly. V and VIs are well off. Sevens are only for the Prime Minister's family the Harts. And ones and twos are treated like dirt.

Kitty is very bright. But she can't read. And they did not give her extra time on th...more
Heather
So I'll just say right now, this one worked for me!! I read Aimee Carter's Goddess Test and really enjoyed it, but felt like it was just a little reserved. I can't say if it was the relationship between the main characters, or the action, but I felt like she was holding back. I don't feel that at all in this book. I read about 30% through this one and felt really excited and then got to the "Masking" part and thought the book would be predictable from then on. I was completely surprised through...more
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Actual Rating: 4.5

Pawn caught me off guard with the sheer amount of corruption, backstabbing, and manipulation there was. The book was like a chess game, where Kitty is wedged between two powerful people with opposing agendas. They think she’s just a pawn in their twisted game, but she ends up besting them all. And I loved every minute of it.

At first glance, Pawn sounds like your average dystopian, where it uses an aptitude t...more
Liz Wilkins
**4.5 stars**

Coming January from Harlequin Teen

Thank you to the author and publisher for the advance copy via netgalley.

So, first in the “Blackcoat Rebellion” series and one that I was immediately interested in reading – I do love Young Adult Dystopian...more
Nat
Kitty Doe is an Extra. Her parents already had one child and then had her. She lives in a group home now. She knows if she doesn't do well in her test she faces a life of hard work and little pay.

The day of her test comes and Kitty is classed as a III. She is devastated. For the life she wants she would have to be a IV and above. After the test when she is in the market, Kitty steals an orange. If she is caught she gets a harsh punishment. She meets up with Benji (her boyfriend) and on their way...more
Gillian

Originally posted at Writer of Wrongs

Most book bloggers (me included, sometimes) will readily inform you that on the whole, they are most decidedly dystopia-ed out. It seems like one out of every five books is a dystopian these days, and, worse, they're dystopians we've read before. It's The Giver. It's The Hunger Games. It's Divergent or Matched or etc. etc. etc.

The thing about Pawn is, it doesn't really reinvent the dystopian wheel. And yet for some odd reason, it feels fresh. I truly...more
  • Countdown
  • Fireblood (Fireblood, #1)
  • Coda (Coda #1)
  • Control (Control, #1)
  • Unbreathable
  • Twinmaker (Twinmaker, #1)
  • Mystique
  • Inhuman (Fetch, #1)
  • Waterfell (The Aquarathi, #1)
  • The Dollhouse Asylum
  • Tandem (Many-Worlds, #1)
  • The Brokenhearted (The Brokenhearted #1)
  • Not a Drop to Drink (Not a Drop to Drink, #1)
  • Perfect Ruin (Internment Chronicles, #1)
  • Indelible (The Twixt, #1)
  • The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)
  • Elusion (Elusion, #1)
  • Doomed
Aimée Carter was born and raised in Michigan, where she currently resides. Her first novel for young adults, THE GODDESS TEST, will be published by Harlequin Teen on April 19th, 2011. The sequel, GODDESS INTERRUPTED, will follow in January 2012.

Find her on Twitter at @aimee_carter.
More about Aimee Carter...
The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1) Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test, #2) The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3) The Goddess Hunt (Goddess Test, #1.5) The Goddess Legacy (Goddess Test, #2.5)

“Have you ever played chess, Kitty?”
I eyed her. What did a board game have to do with this? “Not really.”
“You and I should play sometime. I think you would like it,” she said. “It’s a game of strategy, mostly. The strong pieces are in the back row, while the weak pieces—the pawns—are all in the front, ready to take the brunt of the attack. Because of their limited movement and vulnerability, most people underestimate them and only use them to protect the more powerful pieces. But when I play, I protect my pawns.”
“Why?” I said, not entirely sure where this conversation was going. “If they’re weak, then what’s the point?”
“They may be weak when the game begins, but their potential is remarkable. Most of the time, they’ll be taken by the other side and held captive until the end of the game. But if you’re careful—if you keep your eyes open and pay attention to what your opponent is doing, if you protect your pawns and they reach the other side of the board, do you know what happens then?”
I shook my head, and she smiled.
“Your pawn becomes a queen.” She touched my cheek, her fingers cold as ice. “Because they kept moving forward and triumphed against impossible odds, they become the most powerful piece in the game. Never forget that, all right? Never forget the potential one solitary pawn has to change the entire game.”
38 likes
“But the world is out there, and it understands that the illusion of knowledge and freedom is not the same as the real thing. Eventually it will fade, and there are those who will do whatever it takes to make that happen sooner rather than later.” 17 likes