Start by marking “Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)

Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  6,217 ratings  ·  1,277 reviews
YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING.

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the P
Published November 26th 2013 by Harlequin TEEN (first published October 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Pawn, please sign up.

TheObsessiveCupcake Yes, Lila Hart (the VII that Kitty replaces) has a fiance and Kitty had a boyfriend before she was masked who she still loves. …moreYes, Lila Hart (the VII that Kitty replaces) has a fiance and Kitty had a boyfriend before she was masked who she still loves. (less)
The 5th Wave by Rick YanceyGameboard of the Gods by Richelle MeadMind Games by Kiersten WhiteThe Program by Suzanne YoungLet the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger
First In Series (2013)
34th out of 1,022 books — 2,256 voters
Escaping Reality by Lisa Renee JonesThe 5th Wave by Rick YanceyBranded by Abi KetnerReal by Katy EvansThe Law of Attraction by N.M. Silber
New Series (2013)
65th out of 959 books — 2,494 voters

More lists with this book...

Saniya
Jul 18, 2013 Saniya marked it as to-read
All that hardcore blurb with the heroine named Kitty?
Now, seriously?

I mean, it will be just so funny to read. xD Just imagine.

She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves...

As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter...

Hero: "KITTY, LOOK OUT!"

Kitty: "You...you left me for that girl?

Hahaha, I can actually imagine the hero saying that and Kitty be
Giselle
For the 82323234287637's book in its genre this year alone, Pawn was surprisingly original with a refreshing triangle-free minimalist romance and a plot that had tons happening throughout, not just anticipation for the ending. As my first Aimee Carter book I can't tell you how it compares to her Goddess Test series, but I was impressed with this one for sure.

The world building, at first, sounds like your average dystopian. Society is divided by numbers given to you after a big test on your 17th
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
"But if you’re careful—if you protect your pawns and they reach the other side of the board, do you know what happens then? Your pawn becomes a queen.”
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book. If you had asked me what I was going to give this book after the first few chapters, without question, I would have said "1." Therefore, it was with a considerable amount of surprise that I found myself enjoying the rest of the book as much as I did. This does not mean that the rest of the book w
Cyna
So Pawn. It's a dystopian novel by Aimee Carter.

what can you do

t-th-th-th-th-that's all folks

Ugh, I wish. I mean, that is basically the gist of it, if you wanted the tl;dr version, but there's so much absurd fuckery that no joke, I actually considered doing a chapter-by-chapter snark-along. This book is just fuckin' perfect for it, fuckery abounds on every page. However, one (and a half) read-throughs were enough for me, so instead, this review is just going to be long. Very long. So long. I'm sorry.

Also, SPOILERS YO

The biggest shame of
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Jamie
This book has me a bit torn. I immensely enjoyed the plot as it unravels and the characters were nicely done. The writing moves at a rapid pace that constantly left me wondering where things would go next. And on the flip side was an inadequately built world around them.

Kitty has grown up in a world where people take a single test that determine what kind of life you will have. A six is the best (government officials, etc), a four is average and a one gets you sent Elsewhere, never to be seen o
Evie
Think you've read all the dystopians out there and nothing can possibly surprise you, let alone blow your mind to pieces? Well, think again! Aimee Carter's latest YA novel has everything an awesome dystopian story should have - a thrilling, well-thought-out premise, complex world-and-character building, breathtaking action and a fabulous shock factor with a side of WOW! It's fresh. It's original. And it's certainly worth picking up.

The world Aimee Carter has crafted is quite a fascinating one.
Glass
Review from Ja čitam, a ti?

I didn't expect much. A lot of my friends didn't like Goddess Test by Aimee Carter and they warned me that I might not like Pawn. I decided to give it try anyhow and I'm glad I did. Pawn maybe did start a little bit "clumsy", but premise of this novel is so intriguing and the rest of it was really good.

One corrupted family, one low ranking girl, unexpected circumstances and few new friends. Judging by available advanced copies of books, it looks like dystopian genre is
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
Dec 01, 2013 Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: folks looking for lamer divergent part deux
2.5

Pawn is jumping the bandwagon of dystopian books bound for great sales but ultimately not satisfying legions of readers. It had a lot of potential to be realized but in the end, it failed by filling it all up with boring action scene after another and lackluster character, which is quite a feat now that I think about it, because around 100 pages initially were written to lay down the groundwork for the characters.

So commercially? It'll be a hit.
And aesthetically? Flop, flop, floppity-flop!

In
Jasprit
With the dystopian genre so exhausted, it’s nice when a book comes along which seems to offer something different. And Pawn for me did start that way. In Kitty’s world everyone at the age of 17 is put through a test, this determines the individuals “ranking” and what sort of job they end up with afterwards. The higher the number the individual ends up with the better job they end up getting. Kitty has the potential to do well but ends up messing up her test and leaves with a III. It’s not the be ...more
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you Harlequin Australia for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

After quite a displeasing debut series by Aimee Carter (The Goddess Test) I wasn't exactly enthused to try Pawn. However when the early reviews started to roll in, I was surprised by the constant great number of positive feedback Aimee Carter's latest was receiving. So I hopped on that train, and was not at all dissatisfied.

Kitty Doe hasn't had the
Anne
Carter's Goddess Test series was sort of hit and miss for me, but I found it mostly enjoyable. So when I got the chance to read this one, I wasn't quite sure what to expect.
Beyond the can she switch from mythology to dystopia question, I was also a bit concerned about the fact that I've read far too many dystopian novels lately. It seems like about every third novel I read has a post-apocalyptic theme to it. Then again, nobody's holding a gun to my head, now are they? If I'm getting a tad blown
~Tina~

Once you turn 17 your life is ranked by the number branded to the back of you neck. It establishes your importance into society. A society that promises that the citizens will be taken care of, but you have to give back first. Everyone has their role to play, but it just so happens that Kitty Doe is a III (3)…well, it’s better then being a I (1) and going Elsewhere. Still, the life she was hoping for with her boyfriend, Benjy feels even more impossible so when Prime Minister Daxton offe
Kat Kennedy
It should probably be illegal to keep reading an authors work when you’ve so thoroughly panned it twice before but, you see, I was curious. Take away the horrible plotting and burdensome story of The Goddess Test, could Carter write something I liked, because I always suspected she could. If Pawn had continued in quality from the first half into the second, then I’d probably be giving it four stars right now.

Pawn started out very promising indeed. Kitty, ranked a three in a society that lives an
Kathylill
I really liked the first half of the book, unfortunately the second half took a turn in the wrong direction for me. So I started to skip over the next chapters and by the time I reached the ending I was seriously not a fan of this book any longer.

One of the things I so appreciated at the start was the description of the totalitarian / dictatorial political system with exams that define your future life once and for all, prosecution of political suspects, forced abortion after the first child an
Megan (Book Brats)
Pawn by Aimee Carter

Maybe it was the great hype off Twitter that got me, or maybe it was the synopsis that promised something fresh and exciting. I picked up PAWN and dove in pretty quickly expecting a new and engaging dystopia about a girl who takes the place of the Prime Minister’s daughter in a future dystopia. I should have known better. Really, I should have known given my previous experience with Carter’s THE GODDESS TEST and the increasingly overflowing dystopia market filled with 50 vari
Natalia
"At least now you have enough food to eat," he said. "At least now you can sleep safe in your bed and not fear your neighbors ransacking your home and murdering your entire family."

"Why would I fear my neighbors when my government does it for them?"

Yes, this piece of dialogue describes perfectly well the kind of society we deal with in this book.
Kitty Doe lives in a world where everyone is ranked into castes ranging from I to VII, with I being viewed upon as the wastes and sent Elsewhere, and
Taryn
Actual rating: 3.5

I've read quite a few reviews of this book upon finishing and a lot of them say the same thing: this dystopian book isn't very original. Personally, I love this genre, however I haven't read many dystopian books. So, for me, basing this off the books I have read, this book is quite unique.

I loved the premise. The book held strong to the blurb too which I liked. There were typical dystopian ingredients: corrupt government, a rebellion against said government. I didn't mind t
Jilly
"What's your name?"..."Kitty".."Is that short for something?"..."Yeah, it's short for 'my mother was insane and had a thing for cats.'"

momma, is that you?
crazy cat lady gif photo: ccl Crazycatlady.jpg

I like Kitty! I like a good smartass!

So, the book starts out a little rough. Let's just say it takes a lot of licks to get to the good chewy center. We have a dystopian society that came together within 71 years. 71 years! So, believable? no. Then, we have old people, disabled, crooks, traitors, and unwanted sent out to a place called "Elsewh
Farrah
Thrilling, romantic, and full of secrets and betrayals, Pawn was a wild ride of a book. And I loved it! It was absolutely wonderful. I really enjoyed reading this book.

Kitty was a strong heroine. I liked that her reactions were believable. When she heard of a rebellion that, if she joined, would put her life in danger, she wasn't about to go near that. I think that's a realistic reaction, which made Kitty seem more real. Of course, when she found out what was at stake, she knew she had to join f
Ariana
I am still a bit unsure about this one.
Dystopian stories can be a hit or a miss with me and this one falls somewhere in between.

Overall, it was such a confusing story. The premise was really interesting and it started pretty well, but somehow (in all that confusion and the lack of trust regarding most of the characters) I started to doubt my enjoyment for the book.

There were many ups and downs.
I am sure that plenty of people will enjoy this story because there is quite a lot of action, you find
BookLoversLife
Kitty Doe is an Extra. Her parents already had one child and then had her. She lives in a group home now. She knows if she doesn't do well in her test she faces a life of hard work and little pay.

The day of her test comes and Kitty is classed as a III. She is devastated. For the life she wants she would have to be a IV and above. After the test when she is in the market, Kitty steals an orange. If she is caught she gets a harsh punishment. She meets up with Benji (her boyfriend) and on their way
Matt
I liked this book.

I liked the allegory and metaphors touching on modern issues in education, the uneven nature of opportunities and upward mobility for citizen in the US, and the 99% vs. the 1%. The first 4 chapters were magic.

At the end of the day, it's a totally decent dystopian novel about a future America, roughly 100 years from now (early 22nd century). There is a caste system in place, we all have numbers I through VII, roman numeral style tattoos, and the ruling family is always re-electe
Emily Anne
Pawn was a thrilling read, and no where near your typical, old-hat dystopian. Aimee Carter managed to create a world that wasn’t a copy cat, and I could tell she put a lot of work into making the future society seem unique and complete. Be on the lookout for this novel.

It seems to me that a lot of dystopians have love triangles (Hunger Games, The Selection, Shatter Me etc.) so I was elated when I realized that Pawn did not have a bothersome triangle of love and angst. I am not even against love
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
**I received this book for free from Harlequin Teen via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Young Adult, Dystopian
*Rating* 3.5

*My Thoughts*

Aimee Carter's Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion #1) is set against a backdrop where the US is a meritocracy society. After being brought back back from the brink of disaster thanks to overpopulation and dwindling resources, a new leader took over the country and designed an
Nemo (the Moonlight Library)
SUMMARY
Kitty has failed the mandatory test that will determine her rank for the rest of her life – she’s been branded a III. With no prospects and no hope she accepts the offer to take up a VII – a rank only given to members of the ruling family of America. She is Masked and must convincingly play the role of the deceased Prime Minister’s niece, and help stifle a brewing rebellion. But not everything is as it appears, and as Kitty is pulled further into the world of the ruling family she uncov
Andrea
I liked the first half and loved the second one. Loved the mystery and twisted things in the family of minister Daxton . This book didn't let me down as I was afraid it would. So glad I had the opportunity to read it and definitely will be reading the next book.
Tez
"My choices in life have now been reduced to cleaning sewers or whoring myself out to strangers."

Kitty Doe chooses the latter, because doing sex work in D.C. is supposedly preferable to doing sanitation work in Denver. But this is fiction, and thus Special Snowflake City - she's probably the only person auctioned off as a sex slave who doesn't have to have the sex.

"Did you know that eye colour is the one thing we cannot change?"

Aren't all babies born with blue irises, but they change over time?
  • Countdown
  • After Eden (After Eden, #1)
  • Control (Control, #1)
  • Waterfell (The Aquarathi, #1)
  • Tandem (Many-Worlds, #1)
  • Coda (Coda, #1)
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • Doomed
  • Twinmaker (Twinmaker, #1)
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • Dualed (Dualed, #1)
  • Fireblood (Fireblood, #1)
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • Cybernetic
  • Phoenix (Black City, #2)
  • PODs (PODs, #1)
  • Another Little Piece of My Heart
  • Shadowlark (Skylark, #2)
Aimée Carter was born and raised in Michigan, where she currently resides. Her first novel for young adults, THE GODDESS TEST, will be published by Harlequin Teen on April 19th, 2011. The sequel, GODDESS INTERRUPTED, will follow in January 2012.

Find her on Twitter at @aimee_carter.
More about Aimee Carter...

The Blackcoat Rebellion (3 books)
  • Captive (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #2)
  • Queen (The Blackcoat Rebellion #3)
The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1) Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test, #2) The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3) The Goddess Hunt (Goddess Test, #1.5) The Goddess Legacy (Goddess Test, #2.5)

“Have you ever played chess, Kitty?”
I eyed her. What did a board game have to do with this? “Not really.”
“You and I should play sometime. I think you would like it,” she said. “It’s a game of strategy, mostly. The strong pieces are in the back row, while the weak pieces—the pawns—are all in the front, ready to take the brunt of the attack. Because of their limited movement and vulnerability, most people underestimate them and only use them to protect the more powerful pieces. But when I play, I protect my pawns.”
“Why?” I said, not entirely sure where this conversation was going. “If they’re weak, then what’s the point?”
“They may be weak when the game begins, but their potential is remarkable. Most of the time, they’ll be taken by the other side and held captive until the end of the game. But if you’re careful—if you keep your eyes open and pay attention to what your opponent is doing, if you protect your pawns and they reach the other side of the board, do you know what happens then?”
I shook my head, and she smiled.
“Your pawn becomes a queen.” She touched my cheek, her fingers cold as ice. “Because they kept moving forward and triumphed against impossible odds, they become the most powerful piece in the game. Never forget that, all right? Never forget the potential one solitary pawn has to change the entire game.”
50 likes
“But the world is out there, and it understands that the illusion of knowledge and freedom is not the same as the real thing. Eventually it will fade, and there are those who will do whatever it takes to make that happen sooner rather than later.” 22 likes