Start by marking “A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels” as Want to Read:
A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels

A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,011 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
The result of sixteen years of research in Talmudic, gnostic, cabalistic, apocalyptic, patristic, and legendary texts, the classic reference work on angels is beautifully illustrated and its reissue coincides with the resurgence of belief in angels in America.
Published October 1st 1994 by Free Press (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about A Dictionary of Angels, please sign up.

Ambrianna Freeze No, not technically. It does not answer any spiritual questions. It is a list of all the angels from across the hierarchy and their purposes. It is…moreNo, not technically. It does not answer any spiritual questions. It is a list of all the angels from across the hierarchy and their purposes. It is only spiritual if you use it to pray or summon angels. Be careful with that though, there are dark angels in here as well.(less)
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Nephilim
93rd out of 269 books — 466 voters
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary by Merriam-WebsterThe Oxford English Dictionary by J.A. SimpsonEats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne TrussThe Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary by A.S. Hornby
Dictionaries
31st out of 237 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
Sep 18, 2013 mark monday rated it liked it
YES, "including the fallen angels". whew, those are the best ones!

a pleasant way to while away an evening. put some castrati on the record player, pour a glass of white wine, and learn all about the legions of good & ill. fascinating! and exhaustive. i found it fun to compile a mental list of my favorite and least favorite angels and proceed to pit them against each other in my own imaginary personal rapture/apocalypse.
Paul
Sep 20, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This dictionary attempts to list all the angels named in authoritative sources, along with what is known of their functions and relationships.

I got this book in December 1983, probably as a Christmas present (sorry, can't remember from whom). I had started to acquire reference books, and I had certainly turned toward an interest in spiritual things, so this book would have been a natural addition to my library. But since my main interest was not in Christianity or Judaism, and I did not particul
Akaria Gale
Jan 12, 2011 Akaria Gale rated it really liked it
Shelves: angels, non-fiction
Growing up Protestant I didn't know much about angels. Who knew they were like smartphone apps of the heavens? Seriously, there's an angel for practically anything and everything. I really enjoyed this book and found it an incredible resource as I wrote an angel related original fiction last year. Comprehensive and easy to use, it was useful as a starting point to help me do further research certain characters. I think anyone who's interested in the supernatural will find this a handy addition t ...more
Nicole Hadaway
Feb 19, 2010 Nicole Hadaway rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book -- I used it when doing research for my novel, Release, and I'm continuing to use it for the sequel, Return. It also contains spells from the Key of Solomon and various grimoires at the end.

Be warned, though, that this work, which is very thorough, was published before all the Dead Sea Scrolls were translated and thus, the tales of the Nephilim from the Book of Enoch are not fully detailed in this book. Still, it's a great reference work on Judeo-Christian mythology.
Tiffany
May 09, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
I don't remember who got this book for me, but it's really neat. I use it to name alot of my pets.
Lori Schiele
Jul 24, 2012 Lori Schiele rated it really liked it
I got this book out of the library to use as research for one of my upcoming novels and discovered enough information that I have decided it is worthy of purchasing my own copy for further reference. Gives names and titles of angels alphabetically, but also by groups and by their "job descriptions". Full of charts and sigils and other interesting "artifacts".

Definitely helpful for an author researching angels, but also full of enough information for anyone with any interest in them at all.
Comicfairy (Leanne)
Jan 10, 2011 Comicfairy (Leanne) rated it really liked it
With all the books on Angels out there today, Davidson's work reigns toward the top. To many, it is THE angelic resource. I like how it includes the fallen angels and not just the frilly standard names you find elsewhere. Lots of obscure angels throughout many religions and Davidson does a good job tracing alternative spellings and nicknames back to their original owner.
Kayleen
Aug 12, 2010 Kayleen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Angel or Mythical Creature Fans.
I love this book.
It has very reliable and interesting information about Angels and Fallen Angels.
And his introduction was very fascinatingly cool.
I wish he had more book's out.

Can't wait to reread it.
Sloan
May 23, 2008 Sloan rated it it was ok
Shelves: personal
Not that great. I expected more stories or explanations about Angels. No, the book has a short definition of each Angel. With a few added sections like the one with prayers. Like a dictionary. Who would have guessed?
Alan Lestini
Apr 21, 2011 Alan Lestini rated it it was amazing
Not really a sit-down to read book, but a reference book --- good to have around for research!
S.
Nov 21, 2012 S. rated it it was amazing
Everything from the reflective introduction, which I read with such gusto that I was ten minutes late for work, to the compartmentalized appendix achieves what I have attempted to make logic of in this esoteric universe of angels (including the fallen angels). The thoughts, categorization, confusion, etc. are all the more impressive for the dictionary they birthed. I always strived to make sense of all the contradictions woven into the lore of angels and demons. Now I don't have to—Gustav Davids ...more
Johnna Zunshine
Jan 21, 2015 Johnna Zunshine rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
We read to gain knowledge of angels. This book reveal destiny! She recommend this book for the public. Reason: To know destiny! Mankind can become destiny! Mankind can have knowledge of tri-unity of God's Government. Mankind can receive knowledge of orders in the spiritual world.
Tor.com
As far as I'm concerned this is the one stop reference book for angels, & the term "angel" is defined pretty broadly. With an appendix of alleged angelic alphabets? Who could ask for anything more. --MK
Stephen Simpson
Jan 28, 2016 Stephen Simpson rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I can't imagine the amount of work that went into researching and writing this detailed reference.

It is a reference work, so it's not really something you sit down and read for pleasure (unless you're weird like me). I also found a lot of the entries to be lacking in depth and detail; I suspect that the source material itself often included little more than a name and a brief description, so I don't really fault the author for this.

If you're interested in theology, angels, folklore, or a write
Cleverusername2
This is one of my favorite time waster books. It is a fascinating, detailed, and exhaustive treatment on the subject of angels and spirits of Judaic, Christian, and Islamic mythologies. The Abrahamic religions I might say. I found the Kabbalah research interesting. It seems that Jewish scholars had an angel for everything, one for every hour of the day and a demon for every hour of the night. That sort of thing; a full delineation of the Powers and Thrones emanating from the all powerful God. Ve ...more
David
If you're into angelology, this is probably the best reference book there is. Nearly every named angel (including not only those from apocrypha, but texts including Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Mormon, and Hindu traditions) is included here. You can find all the different hierarchies of angels described here. It really is an encyclopedic reference. Writers who want to use angels from mythology would be well advised to refer to Davidson's work; many other dictionaries of angels are just condensed s ...more
Tahni
May 15, 2015 Tahni rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing resource for anyone studying angelology or, say, writing stories featuring angels. There are a lot of entries that give the reader little to go on ("an angel of Thursday in some occult traditions" is probably my favorite) but if the info provided isn't satisfactory, a very thorough list of resources is provided which can be back-tracked for more info (though honestly, if there's little provided in the entry, there's probably not much else to be found in the way of solid info o ...more
Angie
Nov 19, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: metaphysical
An amazingly complete collection of angels from all over the world. Also included are some of the more well known demons (such as Lillith).

There's also appendexs' (appendexis? Appendices? Argh.) which cover material from angelic invocation to the angelic alphabet. And the book is worth it for the bibliography alone.

All in all, the most comprehensive book on the subject (and an interesting read).
Aaron Meyer
Jan 12, 2014 Aaron Meyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult, angelology
An absolute necessity to anybody who studies angels, demons, Christianity, etc. Whenever I have a question about a certain type of angel I turn to this book.
Thomas
Dec 15, 2009 Thomas rated it it was amazing
"I actually stumbled upon this amazing and extremely useful book at a flea market. As i was writing a book (fantasy novel) with lots of angelic and demonic characters, i was hard-pressed and tired (internet is ultra-cluttered) to find a suitable book for references. Thats when i found this book. Final verdict: Extremely useful for writers and an awesomely perfect resource on Angelic and Demonic lore."
Veronica Ibarra
Dec 20, 2012 Veronica Ibarra rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I like how so much is included from across cultures here with loads of information in the Appendix and 20 pages of Bibliography. I really like how extensive the research is without overt bias to exclude anything. Surprised by some of what I learned and definitely interested in further reading on the topic. (This is the kind of reference book I keep in my personal library to fuel my imagination.)
E.W. Storch
Feb 07, 2014 E.W. Storch rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
Excellent reference book.
Dani Smith
Jul 10, 2010 Dani Smith rated it it was amazing
This book is IT. While writing my debut novel, Psyche's Gate, I referred to Mr. Davidson's fantastic compilation of all things angelic again and again. From the well-known to the obscure, the highest Seraph to the lowest of the fallen angels, this book is a rich wellspring for the author, historian, student, theologan, or general fan of mythology.
Rebecca
Mar 31, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. There's no story line, so if you're interested in this one, please know..."Dictionary" isn't some nifty part of a nifty title. It's an actual dictionary that reads like a dictionary, alphabetical entries and all. The information was amazing though. It was all very detailed and the first section was just unreal (in a good way).
Adrienne
Jun 22, 2016 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reference
This is a phenomenal, thorough, and comprehensive references to all things angel amongst other facets of religious symbolism. I refer to Davidson's work on a nearly daily basis to assist with my writing or research. It's often used in conjunction to Dion Fortune's Mystical Qabalah, another fantastic resource for religious and occult studies.
Peter Ivey
Jun 22, 2013 Peter Ivey rated it it was amazing
As someone interested in the occult, I was quite overwhelmed by the sheer amount of correlation that Davidson includes with most entries in the dictionary; Davidson attempts to bring a broader perspective to the idea of angels outside the Judeo-Christian belief systems.
Angela Sasser
Jan 27, 2010 Angela Sasser rated it it was amazing
Well researched source for angels with plenty of definitions and references to check. There are even charts with angelic scripts in the back, which is quite interesting! This book is my first stop for lore when I need angelic information.
Neil Sinclair
Aug 04, 2011 Neil Sinclair rated it it was amazing
A handy guide to both the Fairest and the Fallen.

if someone comes to your door in a trench coat and a slouch hat and hands you their business card you can see which team they play for before letting them in.
Carolee
Jul 28, 2011 Carolee rated it really liked it
I've picked up this book often. Some beautiful names (you think someone might look here for an unusual baby name) with succinct, but informative entries. I use this reference guide every time I generate a new D & D character.
David Melik
Apr 24, 2016 David Melik added it
Recommends it for: Christian mystics
This is excellent, and larger than all other such books I have managed to find. It is not restricted to Judeo-Christian-Islamic traditions, though it is restricted to the Middle - Near East and probably Egypt and maybe Greece.
  • A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • Angels A to Z
  • Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People
  • The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology
  • Encyclopedia of Angels
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses
  • Complete Enochian Dictionary: A Dictionary of the Angelic Language as Revealed to Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • The Encyclopedia of Hell
  • The Encyclopedia of Witchcraft & Demonology
  • The Dictionary of Imaginary Places: The Newly Updated and Expanded Classic
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • The Magician's Companion: A Practical and Encyclopedic Guide to Magical and Religious Symbolism (Llewellyn's Sourcebook)
  • Goddess: Myths of the Female Divine
  • The Book of Enoch
  • A Dictionary of Superstitions
Gustav Davidson was a poet, writer, and publisher. Davidson attended Columbia University in New York City and worked for the Library of Congress. He was one time secretary of the Poetry Society of America.
More about Gustav Davidson...