Start by marking “A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels” as Want to Read:
A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels

A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  874 ratings  ·  51 reviews
The result of sixteen years of research in Talmudic, gnostic, cabalistic, apocalyptic, patristic, and legendary texts, the classic reference work on angels is beautifully illustrated and its reissue coincides with the resurgence of belief in angels in America.
Published October 1st 1994 by Free Press (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about A Dictionary of Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dictionary of Angels

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Nephilim
92nd out of 275 books — 460 voters
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary by Merriam-WebsterThe Oxford English Dictionary by J.A. SimpsonThe Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne TrussOxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary by Albert Sydney Hornby
Dictionaries
97th out of 237 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
YES, "including the fallen angels". whew, those are the best ones!

a pleasant way to while away an evening. put some castrati on the record player, pour a glass of white wine, and learn all about the legions of good & ill. fascinating! and exhaustive. i found it fun to compile a mental list of my favorite and least favorite angels and proceed to pit them against each other in my own imaginary personal rapture/apocalypse.
Paul
This dictionary attempts to list all the angels named in authoritative sources, along with what is known of their functions and relationships.

I got this book in December 1983, probably as a Christmas present (sorry, can't remember from whom). I had started to acquire reference books, and I had certainly turned toward an interest in spiritual things, so this book would have been a natural addition to my library. But since my main interest was not in Christianity or Judaism, and I did not particul
Akaria Gale
Growing up Protestant I didn't know much about angels. Who knew they were like smartphone apps of the heavens? Seriously, there's an angel for practically anything and everything. I really enjoyed this book and found it an incredible resource as I wrote an angel related original fiction last year. Comprehensive and easy to use, it was useful as a starting point to help me do further research certain characters. I think anyone who's interested in the supernatural will find this a handy addition t ...more
Nicole Hadaway
This is an amazing book -- I used it when doing research for my novel, Release, and I'm continuing to use it for the sequel, Return. It also contains spells from the Key of Solomon and various grimoires at the end.

Be warned, though, that this work, which is very thorough, was published before all the Dead Sea Scrolls were translated and thus, the tales of the Nephilim from the Book of Enoch are not fully detailed in this book. Still, it's a great reference work on Judeo-Christian mythology.
Tiffany
I don't remember who got this book for me, but it's really neat. I use it to name alot of my pets.
Lori Schiele
I got this book out of the library to use as research for one of my upcoming novels and discovered enough information that I have decided it is worthy of purchasing my own copy for further reference. Gives names and titles of angels alphabetically, but also by groups and by their "job descriptions". Full of charts and sigils and other interesting "artifacts".

Definitely helpful for an author researching angels, but also full of enough information for anyone with any interest in them at all.
Comicfairy (Leanne)
With all the books on Angels out there today, Davidson's work reigns toward the top. To many, it is THE angelic resource. I like how it includes the fallen angels and not just the frilly standard names you find elsewhere. Lots of obscure angels throughout many religions and Davidson does a good job tracing alternative spellings and nicknames back to their original owner.
Kayleen
Aug 12, 2010 Kayleen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Angel or Mythical Creature Fans.
I love this book.
It has very reliable and interesting information about Angels and Fallen Angels.
And his introduction was very fascinatingly cool.
I wish he had more book's out.

Can't wait to reread it.
Sloan
Not that great. I expected more stories or explanations about Angels. No, the book has a short definition of each Angel. With a few added sections like the one with prayers. Like a dictionary. Who would have guessed?
Alan Lestini
Not really a sit-down to read book, but a reference book --- good to have around for research!
S.
Everything from the reflective introduction, which I read with such gusto that I was ten minutes late for work, to the compartmentalized appendix achieves what I have attempted to make logic of in this esoteric universe of angels (including the fallen angels). The thoughts, categorization, confusion, etc. are all the more impressive for the dictionary they birthed. I always strived to make sense of all the contradictions woven into the lore of angels and demons. Now I don't have to—Gustav Davids ...more
Johnna Zunshine
We read to gain knowledge of angels. This book reveal destiny! She recommend this book for the public. Reason: To know destiny! Mankind can become destiny! Mankind can have knowledge of tri-unity of God's Government. Mankind can receive knowledge of orders in the spiritual world.
Cleverusername2
This is one of my favorite time waster books. It is a fascinating, detailed, and exhaustive treatment on the subject of angels and spirits of Judaic, Christian, and Islamic mythologies. The Abrahamic religions I might say. I found the Kabbalah research interesting. It seems that Jewish scholars had an angel for everything, one for every hour of the day and a demon for every hour of the night. That sort of thing; a full delineation of the Powers and Thrones emanating from the all powerful God. Ve ...more
Adrienne
This is a phenomenal, thorough, and comprehensive references to all things angel amongst other facets of religious symbolism. I refer to Davidson's work on a nearly daily basis to assist with my writing or research. It's often used in conjunction to Dion Fortune's Mystical Qabalah, another fantastic resource for religious and occult studies.
David
If you're into angelology, this is probably the best reference book there is. Nearly every named angel (including not only those from apocrypha, but texts including Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Mormon, and Hindu traditions) is included here. You can find all the different hierarchies of angels described here. It really is an encyclopedic reference. Writers who want to use angels from mythology would be well advised to refer to Davidson's work; many other dictionaries of angels are just condensed s ...more
Tahni
This is an amazing resource for anyone studying angelology or, say, writing stories featuring angels. There are a lot of entries that give the reader little to go on ("an angel of Thursday in some occult traditions" is probably my favorite) but if the info provided isn't satisfactory, a very thorough list of resources is provided which can be back-tracked for more info (though honestly, if there's little provided in the entry, there's probably not much else to be found in the way of solid info o ...more
Angie
An amazingly complete collection of angels from all over the world. Also included are some of the more well known demons (such as Lillith).

There's also appendexs' (appendexis? Appendices? Argh.) which cover material from angelic invocation to the angelic alphabet. And the book is worth it for the bibliography alone.

All in all, the most comprehensive book on the subject (and an interesting read).
Aaron Meyer
An absolute necessity to anybody who studies angels, demons, Christianity, etc. Whenever I have a question about a certain type of angel I turn to this book.
Thomas
"I actually stumbled upon this amazing and extremely useful book at a flea market. As i was writing a book (fantasy novel) with lots of angelic and demonic characters, i was hard-pressed and tired (internet is ultra-cluttered) to find a suitable book for references. Thats when i found this book. Final verdict: Extremely useful for writers and an awesomely perfect resource on Angelic and Demonic lore."
Veronica Ibarra
I like how so much is included from across cultures here with loads of information in the Appendix and 20 pages of Bibliography. I really like how extensive the research is without overt bias to exclude anything. Surprised by some of what I learned and definitely interested in further reading on the topic. (This is the kind of reference book I keep in my personal library to fuel my imagination.)
E.W. Storch
Excellent reference book.
Dani Smith
This book is IT. While writing my debut novel, Psyche's Gate, I referred to Mr. Davidson's fantastic compilation of all things angelic again and again. From the well-known to the obscure, the highest Seraph to the lowest of the fallen angels, this book is a rich wellspring for the author, historian, student, theologan, or general fan of mythology.
Rebecca
I really enjoyed this book. There's no story line, so if you're interested in this one, please know..."Dictionary" isn't some nifty part of a nifty title. It's an actual dictionary that reads like a dictionary, alphabetical entries and all. The information was amazing though. It was all very detailed and the first section was just unreal (in a good way).
Peter Ivey
As someone interested in the occult, I was quite overwhelmed by the sheer amount of correlation that Davidson includes with most entries in the dictionary; Davidson attempts to bring a broader perspective to the idea of angels outside the Judeo-Christian belief systems.
Angela Sasser
Well researched source for angels with plenty of definitions and references to check. There are even charts with angelic scripts in the back, which is quite interesting! This book is my first stop for lore when I need angelic information.
Neil Sinclair
A handy guide to both the Fairest and the Fallen.

if someone comes to your door in a trench coat and a slouch hat and hands you their business card you can see which team they play for before letting them in.
Carolee
I've picked up this book often. Some beautiful names (you think someone might look here for an unusual baby name) with succinct, but informative entries. I use this reference guide every time I generate a new D & D character.
David Melik
Oct 11, 2014 David Melik rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christian mystics
This is excellent, and larger than all other such books I have managed to find. It is not restricted to Judeo-Christian-Islamic traditions, though it is restricted to the Middle - Near East and probably Egypt and maybe Greece.
Linda White
Well researched. These names are hard to come by and then finding out their place/duties as angels or demons is truly an immense task. No matter your religious choice, this book is a good reference book to have.
Kitty
Christopher loaned this to someone and never got it back. I used to drag it out when watching movies that had angels in them to see if they were using a Biblical reference or if they'd just made the character up.
  • A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • Angels A to Z
  • Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People
  • Encyclopedia of Angels
  • The Encyclopedia of Hell
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses
  • The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology
  • The Book of Enoch
  • The Dictionary of Imaginary Places: The Newly Updated and Expanded Classic
  • Complete Enochian Dictionary: A Dictionary of the Angelic Language as Revealed to Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • A Dictionary of Superstitions
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • The New Encyclopedia of the Occult
Gustav Davidson was a poet, writer, and publisher. Davidson attended Columbia University in New York City and worked for the Library of Congress. He was one time secretary of the Poetry Society of America.
More about Gustav Davidson...
Melmoth, the wanderer; a play in five acts A Dictionary of Angels Including the Fallen Angels by Gustav