Start by marking “Star Trek: Prime Directive” as Want to Read:
Star Trek: Prime Directive

Star Trek: Prime Directive (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  1,667 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Starfleet's most sacred commandment has been violated. Its most honored captain is in disgrace, its
most celebrated starship in pieces, and the crew of that ship scattered among the thousand worlds of
the Federation...

Thus begins Prime Directive, an epic tale of the Star Trek&reg universe. Following in the
bestselling tradition of Spock's World and The Lost Years, Judi
Audio, 0 pages
Published September 1st 1990 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek

Alejandro
Extraordinary!!!

READER'S LOG

This is one of the best Star Trek novels that I ever read and easily the best one using only the crew of The Original Series, without counting crossovers novels.

I know that I need to read more books centering on the original crew, however, this novel Prime Directive will keep a place in the highest levels on my own personal Trek ranking ever.

A masterpiece written by the couple, Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens.

They crafted an intriguing mystery since the story
Rebecca
Nov 23, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, read2009
The Enterprise crew gone rogue, always a winner! These authors OWN the characters' voices, ST canon, and the sensibility of the original series. They're even genius at taking the cheese factor from the show and using it in homage. (Plot holes, Kirk skirt chasing, swashbuckling heroics, laughing on the bridge!) A pleasure to read.
Mike Crate
Oct 16, 2016 Mike Crate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
Prime Directive takes the reader on an interesting journey right from the start as we read about the failures of the Starfleet Constitution Starships and their five year missions including the loss of the Enterprise at Talin IV.
Since this novel is not an alternate reality or mirror universe then you are kinda derailed straight away but as you read the book and learn of the catastrophe then took place in orbit over Ralin IV and the subsequent crippling of the Enterprise it all falls into place.
Kate
Jul 05, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is hands down one of the best Star Trek novels I have ever read and I think even non Star Trek fans would maybe even like it. It's a tight science fiction read that deals with catastrophic consequences but also is a mystery of sorts.

Talin IV is in ruins. A nuclear wasteland and the crew of the Enterprise is at fault. Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Chekov, and Sulu (a.k.a. The Enterprise Five) have all resigned over the disgrace of the events and Mr. Scott continues to work to repair the critica
Mariah
Sep 07, 2014 Mariah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
If the rating system here on Goodreads allowed for half or quarter ratings, I would rate this novel 3.5 stars. I did not want to give it the full four stars, merely because the parts I really liked did not come to fruition until the last fourth of the book.

As stated in other reviews I have written, I love Star Trek fiction. There is something beautiful about expanding and conceiving anew for characters, plot lines, and universes of TV shows, books, and/or movies that have already been establishe
Jacen
Apr 11, 2009 Jacen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, read-trek
My first outing with the Star Trek franchise was a fruitful one. I've been hearing about this book for years. I finally picked it up. In a franchise that literally puts out a novel a month, this books still stands out. It had a perfect feeling of balance. Humor and actual science fiction. Character and action. It's a can't miss.
Ingrid
I heard a rumor that this might be the plot for the next Star Trek movie. It was excellent! I do not read Star Trek books as a rule, but I'm really glad I read this one. It was actually a really good mystery. The final reveal of what happened on Talin IV was very Star Trek. I would recommend this book!
Meg Hannah
Aug 25, 2009 Meg Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my all-time favorite Star Trek novels. I've read it, oh, maybe 10 times? Maybe more? I savor it every time. I love the details and the portrayal of the characters, and the plot's good too.
Jay
Jan 07, 2016 Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid entertainment, amusing, and well read--if a bit predictable.
(view spoiler)
Leo
Sep 23, 2008 Leo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This book is my favorite among the Star Trek derivatives. It is one that can be read countless times. If you are a fan of Star Trek the original series this is a must read.
Neil
Jul 28, 2012 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek, fiction
This is my second copy of this book - I had originally bought a copy when I was in my 'reading/collecting Star Trek books' phase in the late 80s/early 90s and remember enjoying it the first few times I read it. Then my copy disappeared ['borrowed', loaned out, lost in a move, I don't know what happened to it] and that was that. Until I came across another copy for $1 at Half Price Books. It had been a while since I had read it, so I bought it to give it a shot.

Isn't it funny how sometimes peopl
Grace
I'm not a Trekkie by any means, and I've never seen an entire episode of any of the Star Trek franchises that I know of. All I've seen is the J.J. Abrams set of movies that have drawn in non-Trekkies and discombobulated old-time fans. And yes, not being a Chris Pine fan, I found my first meeting with Capt. Kirk to be impetuous, pouty (he does have full lips for a man, no?), and not particularly bright.

But this book was probably, to date, the best sci-fi book I've read. Not being a long-time read
Sharon
I normally shy away from making declarations about any series of books but I'm going to break my own rule. If you have never read any Star Trek Tie in novel before, start with this one. If you plan to read just one, read this one. Read it even if you don't like Star Trek. My first copy of this book fell apart from overuse and I had to buy another one. That has happened maybe once or twice in my life, several times with Lord of the Rings and once with Watership Down. Yes that means I enjoyed this ...more
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prime Directive takes place at the end of the original five-year mission. The story starts off with the entire crew disbanded, with only Scotty still on the ship. All of the main characters know that they have to get back to Talin IV. Sulu and Chekov team up together and are abducted by Orion pirates. Bones and Uhura team up and pretend to be the dread pirate Black Ire. Spock joins an earth-based group that wants the Prime Directive done away with. While Kirk works loading docks throughout the g ...more
Tobias
Apr 08, 2016 Tobias rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judith & Garfield Reevs-Steveens – Die erste Direktive
James Kirk, ehemaliger Kapitän der Enterprise, muss seinen Lebensunterhalt mit diversen Gelegenheitsjobs verdienen. Dazu benutzt er immer diverser Tarnidenitäten. Er, Spock, McCoy, Chekov, Sulu und Uhura wurden für die atomare Verwüstung des Planeten Talin IV verantwortlich gemacht. Allen wird ein Verstoß gegen das Nichteinmischungsprinzip, die sogenannte Erste Direktive, vorgeworfen. Alle sechs Brückenoffiziere sind aber von ihrer Unschu
Borax
Jul 07, 2015 Borax rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book! The story line is interesting (Kirk's crew intervenes in a culture w/o permission...all hell breaks loose) and the characters stay true to their tv personas. There's a section in the novel that breaks significantly from ST timelines (in terms of when people are demoted, etc...)....I'm actually surprised the ST powers that be allowed that to happen...I thought they had pretty strict guidelines (no romance between characters who aren't romantic on show...no death...no timeline ...more
Aron
Sep 19, 2014 Aron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a Trek fan since the late 80's when i was kid watching reruns of TOS & the new episodes of TNG. I have also loved every incarnation of Trek & was horribly disappointed when Enterprise was cancelled. However i never got into the books until 2010! I just didn't know what i was missing! Since i have read about 30 or so Trek novels, mostly the ones published from 2010 on up. As much as i was enjoying them i decided i wanted to start reading the older Trek novels,...particularly t ...more
Jeremiah
May 02, 2014 Jeremiah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I had read this previously and had remembered liking it. On the re-read it was still pretty enjoyable. The Enterprise crew as fugitives all striving toward the goal of finding out what had caused their downfall makes for some entertaining reading. Even with the limitations put on Trek authors at the time, the author still manages to entertain pretty thoroughly.

If I could give 3.5 stars I would have, because after the main climax of the book, it sputters on for a good bit of time wrapping everyt
James
Oct 05, 2016 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the 50th anniversary of Trek I thought I'd read a story I hadn't read before. It's a fun read, good, not great, and has many of the same good and bad features as the show. The characters are generally well-written, and all of the usual favorites get some good moments. There are some clever forward references to the movies and Next Gen. The story itself is interesting. The aliens aren't as important as you'd think them to be, and the ending didn't go nearly where I expected. It seems to wrap ...more
Randy Patton
This is my first Star Trek book. It was enjoyable yet a bit predictable at the same time. It has almost everything you love about the series. The bickering between McCoy and Spock always seems to bring a smile to my face. However, it seems that it relies too much on already established back story that it does not have much of plot-line in its own right.

There was an incident where the Enterprise crew was involved where many beings died on a planet. The books follows their attempts to clear their
Shane Amazon
Oct 04, 2013 Shane Amazon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read only one Judith and Garfiled Reeves-Stevens book prior(Federation) to this book and given I was overwhelmed by that experience I was a little apprehensive about reading another. Their books do tend to be heavy both in print form and in chapter length and some readers will be challenged to read their literature. But this book was absolutely brilliant. From the first chapter this book grabbed a hold of me and didn't let go. The story telling was by far one of the best I have read in the ...more
Clint Hall
Mar 28, 2015 Clint Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
In this, my second foray into the realm of written Trek, I found myself very engaged. The voices of the characters felt quite faithful (although I had a few problems with Spock and sometimes Kirk--if I were to nitpick), the prose was wonderful and it felt like a perfect mixture of TOS and TOS movies. The additional characters were fun to read and the story itself really popped.

Without giving too much away, it was a unique but familiar revisit to a much missed franchise. I highly recommend it to
Michael
Jul 02, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, audiobooks
I listened to this book as an audio book. This is the first Star Trek novel i have read/listened to and was impressed I am a big Star Trek fan and the book gives more depth of story to the TV series. I will definitely be listening/reading to more of the Star Trek novels.

The book was well written with a good story-line. The original series of Star Trek wasn't my favorite series but the story here i really enjoyed
Michael T Bradley
James Doohan is probably my favorite of the Trek cast who narrates. He does a great Kirk, an hilarious McCoy, and a spot-on Scotty (heh). This book has a great first half, then kind of oddly turns into Fantastic Four #38 for the second half, but hey, flattery is the sincerest, and all that. My favorite part was Kirk just chilling with Gavreaux & her cat at the beginning, all like ... sans Starfleet.

Really solid characterization, if the story was a bit weak.
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 24, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
A book that captures the turmoil of disaster and broken careers with terrifying accuracy. Never have we seen our crew so beaten & defeated & humilated before...and never has their eventual triumph against adversity been so sweet of taste. A surprisingly powerful entry in the Star Trek range of that time.
Bill
Fun, light read, did what good tie-in/spin-off fiction is supposed to do: capture the voice and the feel of the original property well enough that it feels like it stands aside the stories of the original medium, while at the same time telling the sorts of stories that couldn't (or even wouldn't) be done in said medium (usually due to scale or budget).
Dustin
Jan 28, 2014 Dustin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The adventures of Kirk & Crew never get old. This book was released in 1991, so a lot of Prime Directive and First Contact canon is slightly outdated, but its not a big deal. The story was interesting and the characters felt pretty true to the show. I liked the little cameos of characters that have appeared elsewhere in the series or the movies.
rivka
Mar 14, 2009 rivka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard Trekkies
Shelves: startrek
Justin Greene
Nov 08, 2013 Justin Greene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This was the first Star Trek book I've read. And I still have it in my collection. Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise are out of Starfleet and the Enterprise isn't doing too well itself. All because the #1 rule, The Prime Directive, was violated by Kirk which resulted in the destruction of a world and untold life.
Todd
Nov 15, 2014 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a Star Trek novel in some time. But I found this one at a booksale and picked it up. Being a fan of the Star Trek world I was looking forward to another story of the crew of the Enterprise. This is a fun story that starts slow, but in typical Star Trek fashion comes to a huge dramatic ending.
If you enjoy this universe, it is a fun and easy book to read.
  • Best Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Sarek
  • The Kobayashi Maru
  • Shadows on the Sun
  • The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1)
  • Doctor's Orders
  • Strangers from the Sky
  • The Vulcan Academy Murders
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • The Captain's Daughter
  • Mind Meld
  • A Flag Full of Stars (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #2)

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire