Start by marking “Star Trek: Prime Directive” as Want to Read:
Star Trek: Prime Directive

Star Trek: Prime Directive (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,380 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Starfleet's most sacred commandment has been violated. Its most honored captain is in disgrace, its
most celebrated starship in pieces, and the crew of that ship scattered among the thousand worlds of
the Federation...

Thus begins Prime Directive, an epic tale of the Star Trek&reg universe. Following in the
bestselling tradition of Spock's World and The Lost Years, Judi
Audio, 0 pages
Published September 1st 1990 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek

This is one of the best Star Trek novels that I ever read and easily the best one using only the crew of The Original Series, without counting crossovers novels.

I know that I need to read more books centering on the original crew, however, this novel Prime Directive will keep a place in the highest levels on my own personal Trek ranking ever.

A masterpiece written by the couple, Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens.

They crafted an intriguing mystery since the story
The Enterprise crew gone rogue, always a winner! These authors OWN the characters' voices, ST canon, and the sensibility of the original series. They're even genius at taking the cheese factor from the show and using it in homage. (Plot holes, Kirk skirt chasing, swashbuckling heroics, laughing on the bridge!) A pleasure to read.
This is hands down one of the best Star Trek novels I have ever read and I think even non Star Trek fans would maybe even like it. It's a tight science fiction read that deals with catastrophic consequences but also is a mystery of sorts.

Talin IV is in ruins. A nuclear wasteland and the crew of the Enterprise is at fault. Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Chekov, and Sulu (a.k.a. The Enterprise Five) have all resigned over the disgrace of the events and Mr. Scott continues to work to repair the critica
This was a fun book! The story line is interesting (Kirk's crew intervenes in a culture w/o permission...all hell breaks loose) and the characters stay true to their tv personas. There's a section in the novel that breaks significantly from ST timelines (in terms of when people are demoted, etc...)....I'm actually surprised the ST powers that be allowed that to happen...I thought they had pretty strict guidelines (no romance between characters who aren't romantic on timeline ...more
I normally shy away from making declarations about any series of books but I'm going to break my own rule. If you have never read any Star Trek Tie in novel before, start with this one. If you plan to read just one, read this one. Read it even if you don't like Star Trek. My first copy of this book fell apart from overuse and I had to buy another one. That has happened maybe once or twice in my life, several times with Lord of the Rings and once with Watership Down. Yes that means I enjoyed this ...more
Sep 10, 2014 Mariah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
If the rating system here on Goodreads allowed for half or quarter ratings, I would rate this novel 3.5 stars. I did not want to give it the full four stars, merely because the parts I really liked did not come to fruition until the last fourth of the book.

As stated in other reviews I have written, I love Star Trek fiction. There is something beautiful about expanding and conceiving anew for characters, plot lines, and universes of TV shows, books, and/or movies that have already been establishe
My first outing with the Star Trek franchise was a fruitful one. I've been hearing about this book for years. I finally picked it up. In a franchise that literally puts out a novel a month, this books still stands out. It had a perfect feeling of balance. Humor and actual science fiction. Character and action. It's a can't miss.

I had read this previously and had remembered liking it. On the re-read it was still pretty enjoyable. The Enterprise crew as fugitives all striving toward the goal of finding out what had caused their downfall makes for some entertaining reading. Even with the limitations put on Trek authors at the time, the author still manages to entertain pretty thoroughly.

If I could give 3.5 stars I would have, because after the main climax of the book, it sputters on for a good bit of time wrapping everyt
I heard a rumor that this might be the plot for the next Star Trek movie. It was excellent! I do not read Star Trek books as a rule, but I'm really glad I read this one. It was actually a really good mystery. The final reveal of what happened on Talin IV was very Star Trek. I would recommend this book!
Meg Hannah
This is one of my all-time favorite Star Trek novels. I've read it, oh, maybe 10 times? Maybe more? I savor it every time. I love the details and the portrayal of the characters, and the plot's good too.
This book is my favorite among the Star Trek derivatives. It is one that can be read countless times. If you are a fan of Star Trek the original series this is a must read.
Randy Patton
This is my first Star Trek book. It was enjoyable yet a bit predictable at the same time. It has almost everything you love about the series. The bickering between McCoy and Spock always seems to bring a smile to my face. However, it seems that it relies too much on already established back story that it does not have much of plot-line in its own right.

There was an incident where the Enterprise crew was involved where many beings died on a planet. The books follows their attempts to clear their
I have been a Trek fan since the late 80's when i was kid watching reruns of TOS & the new episodes of TNG. I have also loved every incarnation of Trek & was horribly disappointed when Enterprise was cancelled. However i never got into the books until 2010! I just didn't know what i was missing! Since i have read about 30 or so Trek novels, mostly the ones published from 2010 on up. As much as i was enjoying them i decided i wanted to start reading the older Trek novels,...particularly t ...more
This is my second copy of this book - I had originally bought a copy when I was in my 'reading/collecting Star Trek books' phase in the late 80s/early 90s and remember enjoying it the first few times I read it. Then my copy disappeared ['borrowed', loaned out, lost in a move, I don't know what happened to it] and that was that. Until I came across another copy for $1 at Half Price Books. It had been a while since I had read it, so I bought it to give it a shot.

Isn't it funny how sometimes peopl
I haven't read a Star Trek novel in some time. But I found this one at a booksale and picked it up. Being a fan of the Star Trek world I was looking forward to another story of the crew of the Enterprise. This is a fun story that starts slow, but in typical Star Trek fashion comes to a huge dramatic ending.
If you enjoy this universe, it is a fun and easy book to read.
Fun, light read, did what good tie-in/spin-off fiction is supposed to do: capture the voice and the feel of the original property well enough that it feels like it stands aside the stories of the original medium, while at the same time telling the sorts of stories that couldn't (or even wouldn't) be done in said medium (usually due to scale or budget).
A pretty good read with some interesting twists and excellent aliens, but the whole premise of Kirk et al being hounded out of Starfleet seemed slightly unbelievable, which was a shame since this was the backbone of the whole book.
Clint Hall
In this, my second foray into the realm of written Trek, I found myself very engaged. The voices of the characters felt quite faithful (although I had a few problems with Spock and sometimes Kirk--if I were to nitpick), the prose was wonderful and it felt like a perfect mixture of TOS and TOS movies. The additional characters were fun to read and the story itself really popped.

Without giving too much away, it was a unique but familiar revisit to a much missed franchise. I highly recommend it to
I listened to this book as an audio book. This is the first Star Trek novel i have read/listened to and was impressed I am a big Star Trek fan and the book gives more depth of story to the TV series. I will definitely be listening/reading to more of the Star Trek novels.

The book was well written with a good story-line. The original series of Star Trek wasn't my favorite series but the story here i really enjoyed
Shane Amazon
I've read only one Judith and Garfiled Reeves-Stevens book prior(Federation) to this book and given I was overwhelmed by that experience I was a little apprehensive about reading another. Their books do tend to be heavy both in print form and in chapter length and some readers will be challenged to read their literature. But this book was absolutely brilliant. From the first chapter this book grabbed a hold of me and didn't let go. The story telling was by far one of the best I have read in the ...more
Jessi Witt
Interesting plot but honestly I was here to hang out with the crew on their misadventures, coulda used more of that. Also toning down of the Spock McCoy dynamic.
Chris Massey
This is the first Star Trek book I've read and if the others are usually this good, I'm excited to read more. The Reeves-Stevens duo are spot on with their characterizations, it was like reading a very good episode.
1991 grade A

Classic Trek
Really good until the wtf ending, talk about your lame deus ex machina. Still glad I read it if only for Spock the Savvy Politician and the Adventures of Sulu and Chekov the Space Pirates.
Mar 28, 2009 rivka rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard Trekkies
Shelves: startrek
The adventures of Kirk & Crew never get old. This book was released in 1991, so a lot of Prime Directive and First Contact canon is slightly outdated, but its not a big deal. The story was interesting and the characters felt pretty true to the show. I liked the little cameos of characters that have appeared elsewhere in the series or the movies.
Justin Greene
This was the first Star Trek book I've read. And I still have it in my collection. Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise are out of Starfleet and the Enterprise isn't doing too well itself. All because the #1 rule, The Prime Directive, was violated by Kirk which resulted in the destruction of a world and untold life.
Daniel Kukwa
A book that captures the turmoil of disaster and broken careers with terrifying accuracy. Never have we seen our crew so beaten & defeated & humilated before...and never has their eventual triumph against adversity been so sweet of taste. A surprisingly powerful entry in the Star Trek range of that time.
Purpleallison Hoffman
One of my favorite Star Trek novels, the story moved along at a good pace, the storylines came together neatly fir the big reveal, and then the action of solving the problem. I re-read this book all the time, especially the storylines of my favorite characters, Uhura as well as Chekhov.
Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens are among my favorite Star Trek writers. They follow the spirit of the show, tying events between the original series and the films together quite neatly.
  • The Kobayashi Maru
  • Best Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Shadows on the Sun
  • The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1)
  • The Vulcan Academy Murders
  • Doctor's Orders
  • Sarek
  • Strangers from the Sky
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • The Captain's Daughter
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • Rules of Engagement
  • The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #1)

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
Federation Memory Prime The Fall of Terok Nor (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Millennium, #1) Icefire Inferno (Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Millenium, #3)