Origin Scroll

Origin Scroll (Targa Trilogy #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The world is in peril. The Evil sorcerer, Sarac, seeks an ancient document entitled, the Origin Scroll. This ancient tome contains the knowledge to control the very existence of the Universes. Sarac will stop at nothing to obtain the Origin Scroll and the fate of the Universes rest with three unknown children. Alexander Tork, a fifteen-year-old boy, is an apprentice lumber...more
Published July 3rd 2004 by KBS (first published September 1st 1997)

Criss Rosenlof
The story line was well thought out, with a few good surprises, but the writing itself was a bit amateurish. I liked the story enough to overlook the poor writing that would pop up and finish the book. My overall impression was this...

I didn't waste my time reading this book. It was fun and had a good story. There are some obvious errors in the author's thinking which I won't go into (so I don't spoil the book), but they aren't big enough to be a problem.

I read it as a free download on my Kindle...more
Kristjan
Feb 25, 2013 Kristjan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anybody bored enough to finish it :-)
Recommended to Kristjan by: podio books
This was the narrated podiobook version.

Narration Quality: Fair. The author narrated his own book and gives a relatively flat performance that exaggerated the flat writing style; which consisted mostly of explanations ... which made it sound like a academic text with some dialog.

Character Development: Poor. None of the characters develop much beyond the basic elements of the fantasy archetypes.

Plot Development: Average. This was the only reason I actually finished it ... it was interesting enoug...more
Bill Johnston
I managed to force myself through this story because I liked some of the concepts, but I was really surprised at how poorly written it was.

Other critical reviews have already touched on character development and other issues, so I'll just highlight that transitions are poor. When the characters are recounting recounting events that we read in the previous chapter, they writer did not simply say "X caught them up on her experience in Y". The reader had to slog through a summary. Needless to say,...more
Marie
Origin Scroll by Richard S Tuttle was another fun fantasy quest story and the beginning of the Targa Trilogy. I managed to snag this one during the short time that it was free on Amazon, and just couldn't stop myself from buying the next two after reading it. Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Mages, Unicorns, Trolls, and other fantasy creatures abound. This engrossing trilogy is actually the first part of the larger Alcea Collection. The 7-part Swords Of Heaven series and the 7-part Demonstone Chronicles...more
Elisha
I really like the story, but I had a hard time getting past the bad writing. The dialogue is stilted and forced, and some circumstances just seem wrong (you don't tell your son to run to the village to save everyone from impending attack, then stop to describe the long history of conflict before he leaves).
Fortunately for Tuttle, I was listening to the book as a podiobook, and I like to have a LOT of listening materials, so I kept listening. As I said, the story is good, but the writing could us...more
Greg
Not a bad book and was a good read with a good story. The plot and story seemed to jump a little fast and the characters advanced in life just a little to easily.

Still I liked the book, enjoyed reading it and will be looking to read the rest of the series.

If you like fantasy, and "hero's journey" books (of which this book had three!), then I'd say this is a read for you...
Jeanie
I agree with Criss. I liked the storyline very much but it felt rushed. And ended abruptly. There were some surprises in there but I couldn't really picture the land or characters so they didn't come fully alive. Not sure if I will read the rest of the series.
Karlt
Listening to the free audiobook version of this book. Not bad, but not great either. It also reads [listens?:] like a children's or young adult book as the plot and dialogue are simplistic. I am still enjoying it nevertheless.
Heidi
Accidentally started on the Sword of Heavens series first. When I realized these were first I started this one. Even though I read the other first it was an absolutely awesome book. I couldn't put it down!
Beth
The author had a good story idea but that's about as far as it goes. The story was poorly written and poorly developed. I felt like I was reading a child's writing.
M Bucken
Would agree with other reviewers that some aspects of the book were weak, but overall was a good story. Not enough to make me go further in the series though.
Matt
I didnt know what toi expect with this book, but I enjoyed it. It was exciting and always had someing happening.
Lindsay
A light fantasy read. It did feel like it ended quite suddenly, but was entertaining.
Frank Shedd
an ok fantasy too much explaining at the end
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Beth Shaw-bogard
Beth Shaw-bogard marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Xaran
Xaran added it
Jan 10, 2014
Karissa B
Karissa B marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sapphire of the Fairies (Sword of Heavens, #1) Young Lord of Khadora (Forgotten Legacy, #1) Abuud: The One-Eyed God (Sword of Heavens, #3) Unicorns' Opal: Volume 2 Of Sword Of Heavens Amethyst of the Gods (Sword of Heavens #7)