Start by marking “Cubanita” as Want to Read:
Cubanita

Cubanita

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  172 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
All Isa wants is to be a regular American teenager, something her Cuban immigrant mother most definitely does not understand. After almost eighteen years of constant debate over everything from birthdays to boys, Isa has had enough. She's counting down the days until she leaves for college—and can get as far away from Miami (North Cuba) as possible. But the more Isa tries ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Rayo (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cubanita, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cubanita

Victoria
Aug 29, 2015 Victoria rated it really liked it
Okay, so, I definitely picked this up because it was autographed, it was about hispanic culture, and because it was 2$

I think what pissed me off the most was Andrews character. I didnt buy his act for a second from the start. Especially the second Susy said she thought he was cute when Isa arrived for her first day at camp. It put something off for me between them. Especially by ho fast Isa seemed to be moving with him. I really appreciate the ending because (view spoiler)
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten!

For no particular reason at all, this review has taken me a very long time to write. There’s plenty to say about Cubanita, but finding the words for it is very, very hard. Maybe my recent issues with fatigue had something to do with it? Probably. Review crunch? OH YEAH. But I digress. Cubanita is a well-written little novel that needs to be saved from the bottomless sea of the backlist and brought back for all the diversity-championing bloggers because it’
Lauren
Dec 09, 2007 Lauren rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young adult girls
This is a fun book about Isa, a 17 going on 18 year old, fresh out of high school, awaiting the upcoming Fall when she will have the chance to get away from the Miami she's always known to go to school in Michigan. Isa's spending her summer at a camp teaching art and flirting with her new-found flame, an older man, no less! Isa's a well-grounded young woman who briefly loses her head while in the midst of her relationship, but quickly regains it once she learns the truth about how this handsome, ...more
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it it was amazing
interesting story about a high school graduate and that awkward summer before college. isa lives in miami and has many different things to deal with in this book: boys, identity, cancer, etc.
Maricela
Jan 08, 2009 Maricela rated it liked it
I READ THIS BOOK LIKE A YEAR AGO FOR A CLASS. AT FIRST I WAS NOT ALL THAT INTERESTED BUT THEN CHAPTER AFTER CHAPTER IT JUST KEPT GETTING BETTER. SEE IM NOT A READER BUT WHEN SOMETHING IS REALLY GOOD I JUST CANT STOP READING IT. THE BOOK ITSELF IS GOOD ITS NOT TOO LONG BUT ITS NOT TOO SHORT. IT WAS A LITTLE ROMANCE AND I KNEW WHAT ISA WAS GOING THROUGH BECAUSE MY MOM WAS THE SAME WAY!
Maria Martinez
Apr 13, 2011 Maria Martinez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought the author's style was fast-paced and funny. Her main character, Isa, is an American born to Cuban parents who live in Miami where she navigates from one culture to the other to end living in a mix of the two. Having been born in Cuba myself, I totally understood her perspective. I enjoyed her summer story and how her character is able to become more aware of who she is.
this book was really interesting- isa really tried to be non cuban and all american girl-but she starts to realize what she is and in a way matures more and takes pride in what and whom her culture comes from-also her relationship with her mom becomes so much better.
Kristin
Sep 27, 2009 Kristin rated it it was amazing
This is a really good book. It's all about staying true to yourself and being proud of where you come from.
Thuy-vi Nguyen
Mar 12, 2014 Thuy-vi Nguyen rated it really liked it
A very interesting read about a young cubanita. Had a good message for young girls.
Judeline
Very good book, a perspective on the cuban culture
Ma'laikia Brantley
AWESOME!!!!!
Dulce Ramirez
Mar 14, 2011 Dulce Ramirez rated it really liked it
Nice
Ashlee
Dec 17, 2013 Ashlee rated it liked it
Cubanita tells the story of a 17 yr old girl named Isabel aka Isa who struggles with her Cuban heritage and preparing to leaving for college in the fall. I really enjoyed Cubanita as a lighthearted, quick read. There were so many points throughout the story where I found myself literally laughing out loud. Growing up in a Cuban household I really related to Isa and her family. I saw so much of myself in her and I couldn't help but feel connected to her. (view spoiler) ...more
Medeia Sharif
Dec 19, 2009 Medeia Sharif rated it really liked it
I can’t recall coming across another YA book set in Miami, where I live, and I felt at home with the setting of Cubanita. Isa is the "gringa" in her Cuban family, and she’s always arguing with her mother about something. Her solution to escaping her mother and Miami is to attend the University of Michigan--where it’s cold and unCuban--in the fall. In the meantime, she spends her summer before college working at a camp where she meets a handsome coach named Andrew. The two start dating but Robi, ...more
lucem
Apr 29, 2008 lucem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tweens & teens
CIP: Seventeen-year-old Isabel, eager to leave Miami to attend the University of Michigan and escape her overprotective Cuban mother, learns some truths about her family’s past and makes important decisions about the type of person she wants to be.

This is an easy read that will most likely suit tweens & teen girls best. The main character is a high school senior who faces some issues surrounding boyfriends, but nothing too racy or that needs pre-mentioning to readers. It is the normal girl g
Adrienne
Jun 04, 2014 Adrienne rated it did not like it
I was very interested in this story, but I never made it past the first few chapters because the plot moved so slowly.
Lesley
Oct 31, 2015 Lesley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, summer
Woefully predictable, save for that randy mention of moist panties I was def not expecting.
Maggie V
Mar 15, 2010 Maggie V rated it liked it
Isa wants to get away from Miami and being "Cuban." Fortunately she doesn't go to Cuba to realize that she is proud to be Cuban and have that as a part of herself even as she is making her own way in the world.

It did annoy me how blind she was to her boyfriend's behavior and how often she argued with her mother (but that's normal teenager about to leave the nest). Very fun, and truthful about Castro and things that happened during his take-over
Vanessa Kinney
May 13, 2012 Vanessa Kinney rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
its actually a nice read. i find it entertaining but not a good recommendation for those who love to devour books. its a nice one but did not make me so engrossed on the book. i think this would be preferred by teenagers (like 13-19) but for someone of my age, not that much.

good read though.. it helps you while away time (since i finished the book in a half day!)

enjoy,
V
Susan P
Mar 11, 2008 Susan P rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
Isa has always been annoyed by her Cuban mother's attachment to her homeland, but when her mother is diagnosed with breast cancer, she makes more of an effort to understand the attachment and the history behind it.

PPYA
Olivia Vona
Nov 20, 2012 Olivia Vona rated it did not like it
Truthfully, i read like half of this book and really disliked it. i do not recomend this book at all! it looks intresting and the back cover of the book seems intresting to but i will leave that up to you.
Carla
Jan 28, 2012 Carla rated it liked it
This book is a good read. Its especially funny for cubans living in Miami, you can definitely relate to the character.
Ally
Jun 28, 2008 Ally rated it liked it
I thought I would like this book more than I did, but in the end it was sort of forgettable =(
Virna
Nov 25, 2011 Virna rated it it was ok
I hate haft of this book ,the way she is with her Mom is annoying the end was ok
Issamar
Oct 08, 2010 Issamar rated it really liked it
this is an awesome books it has many features in it...
Melissa Johnson
Nov 24, 2013 Melissa Johnson rated it liked it
A quick, easy read. Quite predictable, but still enjoyable.
Hannah
Aug 03, 2007 Hannah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: chicas
it was a pretty easy read....cute story line. Nice ending!
Maryam Ahmad Parwani
i have it right no and goin to sign it put
Maryam Ahmad Parwani
Dec 17, 2009 Maryam Ahmad Parwani rated it did not like it
ahhhhh itss soo good ;)
Cait Monster
Cait Monster marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
  • Beauty and the Bully
  • Violet by Design (Violet, #2)
  • The Elite (The Elite, #1)
  • The Boyfriend Trick (First Kisses, #2)
  • Prom Kings and Drama Queens
  • Mermaid Park
  • The Day I Killed James
  • Do-Over
  • Honey Blonde Chica
  • Selkie Girl
  • Soul Enchilada
  • Awakening (Lily Dale, #1)
  • Future Imperfect (Future Imperfect, #1)
  • The Real Real
  • A Summer Life
  • Meanicures
  • Mallory in the Spotlight  (Mallory McDonald, #14)
  • How Tia Lola Learned to Teach
GABY TRIANA is the award-winning author of six YA novels—Wake the Hollow (Aug. 2016, Entangled), Summer of Yesterday, Riding the Universe, The Temptress Four, Cubanita, and Backstage Pass, as well as thirteen ghostwritten novels for best-selling authors. Originally a 4th grade teacher with a Master of Science in Elementary Education and ten years teaching experience, Gaby earned Teacher of the Yea ...more
More about Gaby Triana...