Start by marking “Afterlife (A Discovery of Vampires, #1)” as Want to Read:
Afterlife (A Discovery of Vampires, #1)

Read eBook

Afterlife (A Discovery of Vampires #1)

When Fleur and Louisa are orphaned and forced to stay with their horrible aunt Petiniua their lives are turned upside down. Aunt Petiniua a witch of a woman sends the sisters off to Miss Madisons Academy for girls where they endure physical pain and violence . However Louisa escapes with a dashing magician who happens to be a vampire and leaves Fleur to look after herself ...more
Published (first published February 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Afterlife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afterlife

Audrey Sprite
Apr 08, 2011 Audrey Sprite rated it it was amazing
The paperback was a amazing...Its a SHAME that a publishing house would mess up so badly by placing an unedited copy of the book on Kindle by mistake.If your into romance and mystery the edited version of Afterlife is a must read. I loved the fact that the story explores the character Fleur's time at Miss Madison's Academy for girls. I really wished the book would never end. The love story between Jacques and Louisa was also haunting and refreshing ! I can't wait for the next book in the series ...more
nj.
Oct 03, 2011 nj. added it
Overall, if I could give this book 0 stars, i would.

Juvenile writing. Terrible sentence structures. Bad grammar. Choppy story-line. Shallow character development. Lousy attempt at creating a new twist to an already dead horse concept.

I attempted reading this 3 different times. I became impossibly frustrated with the poor grammar, bad spelling, choppy paragraphs...(seriously, changing voices and subject in the middle of a paragraph?); i should have deleted this from my kindle a long time ago.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
3.5 Stars.
This was a very different (but good) read. I really liked how it started off, almost like a narrator was telling you a story. I was a little sad it didn't stay in that point of view.
Overall this was an interesting read and it will be fun to see where it goes from here.
Mary  (Biblophile)
Aug 01, 2011 Mary (Biblophile) rated it did not like it
This book was poorly written. Bad grammar, incorrect words, and seemed like it was geared to an eight-year old. The characters were shallow and almost no plot to speak of.
Cassandra
Jun 14, 2012 Cassandra rated it it was ok
See more of my reviews here! :)

Afterlife is about two young sisters, Louisa and Fluer going to an all girls when their evil aunt doesn't want the "brats" anymore. This all girls school is hell for them and they stuck for years in the place being slaves. When a strange magician comes to the school the Head Master, who wants nothing more than to woo the sexy magician, starts dressing all the girls in dresses and trying to appear that she is actually running
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
I couldn't even finish this book, it was full of spelling mistakes, sytnactic errors and bad grammar. The story wasn't catching at all, and I really don't know how I ended up buying this book, as I had never heard of the author before. I guess the one-click for kindle will be turned off on my account from now on :(
Ashley - The Bookish Brunette
May 28, 2011 Ashley - The Bookish Brunette rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires
This was a super enchanting read... a fun and fast read with a new twist on vampires/werewolves. I feel like the story was a little rushed for all the things that went on. I really wish there would have been more of everything!

More on Fleur and her sister... What happened to Louisa after she left? Why didn't she come back? I would've liked more background to the girls life before their parents died. I need MORE! Good thing there are more books, hopefully they're less rushed!

The concept is FABULO
Laura Jerwood
Jan 11, 2015 Laura Jerwood rated it did not like it
Shelves: to-get-buy
Sorry, couldn't take any more of this book and deleted it off my Kindle.
Takes an awful lot for me to do that.

Aside for the requirement for a lot more proof reading (including getting the right versions of words in the text!)

The story leapt around in writing style, teh characters were overall 2 dimensional, situations went from being beautifully written to almost dogmatic and formularic.
Cliches aside in the "one I've been dreaming of before I even met him" - I couldnt take any more and deleted
Nicolette [mrslightwood]
I can't remember where I found this book; however, I'm sure it's the cover that drew me in.

The guy looks like a cross between Daniel Radcliffe and Chace Crawford. Sold!

I liked the beginning of the story. The narrator sounded awesome and pretty much reminded me A Series of Unfortunate Events (narration-wise).

I was holding on to my seat and felt butterflies in my tummy when I was reading about Louisa and Jacques and then they disappear.. together with my grasp of understanding the story.

It went do
April
May 04, 2012 April rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Cute vampire love story. It was choppy and really needed to be edited, but I liked it. It was VERY Twilightish! I hope in the next installments, the characters are developed more and it reads smoother.
Fleur and Lousia are stuck as mistreated servants until they "escape". Fleur finds safety until she meets and falls in love with Daniel, a vampire. Can she be happy, will she find Lousia? All questions I hope are answered in the next book.
Loretta
Jun 19, 2011 Loretta rated it did not like it
Well, this book was ok. I mean I am going to read 2, and 3 because I want to know what happens to Fleur. But this book was fast. And by that I mean, everything felt rushed. I have no idea what happened to the sister. Or why she never came back. ???????? I am just left with allot of questions that I hope are answered in book 2.
All in all it was a ok read. Kinda twilight-ish. My initial rating was 2.5 but since I don't do .5's I will give this book a 3 out of 5.
Victoria Young
Apr 12, 2011 Victoria Young rated it it was amazing
OMB! I loved this book so so so much ! The story starts of on a hight note. Two sisters are orphaned and sent to Miss Madison's Academy for girls .Louisa runs away with the infamous magician St Cloud and leaves her youngest sister behind. Fleur thinking that the magician killed her sister becomes a vampire and plots along with Amber another vampire with a sordid past to find the magician.
Natajia
Jan 09, 2012 Natajia rated it did not like it
And i thought i hated Twilight. This was Twilight all over again, except way worse. Not only was the grammar just appalling, the story set you up for something intense and just never delivered. Nothing was explained and while the ending set you up for something in the next book, i have no intention of ever picking it up.
Pauline
Apr 12, 2011 Pauline marked it as to-read
GOOD READS SYNOPSIS: When Amber Evans is transformed into a vampire and taken away from her life as one New Yorks most popular socialites,she is faced with a life of unwanted immortality. As Amber comes to terms with what she has become , she goes in search of the person who transformed her. All is not what it seems and Amber is forced to follow her own intuition .
Kat
Oct 22, 2012 Kat rated it it was ok
Muy decepcionante.. no entiendo el tiempo,
y para solo tiene 129 páginas que la escritora no
puso algo interesante. Es el típico 'amor a primera vista' pero
taaan intenso.. no me gusto.
Jenny Dee
Apr 06, 2011 Jenny Dee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampire
I really liked the characters in the book and everything I am almost done with the book and can't wait for the next one!
Aileen
May 28, 2012 Aileen rated it did not like it
Shelves: pdf
Awful, just plain and simply awful. So glad it is over, and will NOT be reading the next one, not worth the trouble.
Phillipa
May 13, 2011 Phillipa rated it it was amazing
Blown away...if you haven't got a copy yet , get one today! Why are you still reading this? It was really good and would read it again. At last a book with a Twist. A breath of fresh air.
LittleTooIronic
LittleTooIronic rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2011
Gillian Walsh
Gillian Walsh rated it did not like it
Jun 26, 2014
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2015
Nadia Karen Sinclair-Mills
QE???? No se si la traducción o qe fue pero no entendi ni la mitad!
Mikki McCoy
Mikki McCoy rated it it was ok
May 15, 2011
Kisses From
Kisses From rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2014
Louise Buxton
Louise Buxton rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2013
Fee
Fee rated it did not like it
Feb 15, 2013
Becky cooper
Becky cooper rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
Khaee
Khaee rated it really liked it
May 30, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Immortal Embrace (Embrace, #1)
  • Desire (Desire, #1)
  • This.: A Vampire Cure for Forever
  • PineLight (PineLight, #1)
  • Airborne (Airborne Saga, #1)
  • Blood and Sunlight: A Maryland Vampire Story
  • Sleight (AVRA-K #1)
  • Ember (Ember, #1)
  • Holding Her Breath
  • Saved (The Shadow Vampires, #1)
  • Bloody Little Secrets (Bloody Little Secrets #1)
  • Stay (Callie Rose #1)
  • Descended by Blood (Vampire Born, #1)
  • Mourning Sun (Highland Home, #1)
  • Endlessly (Endlessly, #1)
  • The Horror of Gaad Grey, The Evil Alpha Werewolf (The Cries of Vampira, #1)
  • Jane Jones: Worst. Vampire. Ever.
  • Forbidden Temptation of a Vampire: Sidhi Summer Camp Series
Isabella Kruger is an indie author and film maker with a love for writing .In between doing all of these fabulous things she hopes to become a pastor/worship leader and finish her studies at Hillsong College Australia. She calls South Africa and Australia home. She is also the bestselling author of the 'Discovery of vampires' trilogy ,the 'Delicious' series , Hannah Olivia's most loved things and ...more
More about Isabella Kruger...

A Discovery of Vampires (4 books)
  • Closer (A Discovery of Vampires, #2)
  • Blood Ties (A Discovery of Vampires, #3)
  • Love For Ever After (A discovery of vampires)

“My dreams were always the same I could see myself laughing . I was standing somewhere in a forest a raindrop rolled down a branch and fell on my nose . My hair was a sparkling red color and I was wearing a white flowing ball gown made from silk. I could feel him the one I loved staring at me intensely . His eyes as gold as the sun . I could hear him saying my love Fleur .. you are everything to me. His fingertips lightly shivering as he touched my face beckoning for me to come closer. I don't know what I would do if I lost you . "Are you sure you want to be with me?" My body protested as I fought for him to stay but he never did. As soon as I woke up his presence was gone.” 10 likes
“As he satin the tree he looked down at the girl in the floral dress and felt his heart miss a beat.” 9 likes