Start by marking “Picking Up the Pieces” as Want to Read:
Picking Up the Pieces

Picking Up the Pieces

Kate is in her fifties, recently widowed, and coping with the difficulties--and occasional pleasures--of flying solo. But when her daughter Joanna's husband walks out, and Joanna instantly assumes that Kate will step into the supporting Granny role while she goes career and man-hunting, Kate realizes it is time to step outside her family's preconceived expectations--with d ...more
Published October 15th 1999 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published October 15th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Picking Up the Pieces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Picking Up the Pieces

Suanne Laqueur
Aug 17, 2016 Suanne Laqueur rated it liked it
A good, solid read for people who like this sort of thing (which I do). Rich description and dialogue make the rural English setting feel familiar, even for those of us who don't own cottage farms or drink afternoon tea.

I really should start drinking afternoon tea.
Lorrie
Jun 26, 2012 Lorrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I really liked this book. It was a nice diversion from the Pilcher books that I hope to mimic. The only thing missing was the sea. The story of Kate Rendelsham & Just Jack was beautiful. I was taken in & looking forward to more. I was so relieved when Harriet found her benedictine father. I also enjoyed the mending of Joanna & Harriet's relationship. Pretty good book. I'll try another. It's easy to see why Sheepshanks books are on Pilcher's bookcase.

Ok, finished this book 2 days ago
Maia
Aug 23, 2009 Maia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A romance-of-sorts, very Brit 'cosy' light read: think 'Older Chick Lit'.

Interesting, well-developed story of 50-something recent widow of a less-than-thrilling man who, finally, finds 'true' love and discovers her own self along the way. With a true mixed-bag of supporting characters, all very British, and many side observations that can be viewed as either interesting or annoying, depending on your mood/views. Might get heavy for American readers, but still worthy it enough.

I tried her other
Kathryn
Mar 08, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
At a recent used book sale I picked up this book due to the 'Rosamunde Pilcher's Bookshelf' label and introduction. I love her books (though she is no longer writing) http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/r... and also the ones by her son Robin Pilcher http://www.robinpilcher.co.uk/, which are similar in style. I hope this will be an indicater that this book will be one I will enjoy also.

More to follow. . .

>WD
Martha Valasek
Jun 07, 2012 Martha Valasek rated it liked it
I've been enjoying the mother-daughter relationship aspect in the bookand seeing how the main character steps out and begins a career in her 50's. Somewhat of a surprised and happy ending...but you have to wade through a lot of bumpy relational drama. It did remind me of Rosamunde Pilcher books, though.
Linda
Nov 14, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The main character Kate Rendlesham did a lot of growing as a person during the book but then she needed to. She had let other people use and control her for far too many years.
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2001
An enjoyable novel featuring a four-generation family, with the grandmother being the main protagonist. Excellent characters and a clear, gentle plot with many interesting sub-plots. Recommended.
Eileen Pucci
Apr 04, 2013 Eileen Pucci rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
This author is on the "Rosamunde Pilcher Bookshelf." Apparently Roz has given the nod to a selection of authors/novels that are worth a read. This one was fun, but it wasn't as good as Roz's best.
Julie
Sep 16, 2007 Julie rated it liked it
This is a pleasant book, not earth shattering but just enough to enjoy if you want something light and easy. I enjoyed it.
Rosa
Aug 25, 2007 Rosa rated it liked it
This is good airplane reading stuff! She writes like Maeve Binchy.
Zoe
Zoe rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Christine Stickley
Christine Stickley marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Antoinette
Antoinette rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2016
Margaret Roy
Margaret Roy rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2016
Daria
Daria marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Chumbley
Chumbley rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Terri
Terri rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Kamee
Kamee marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Sarah Hetherington
Sarah Hetherington rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Judy Spare
Judy Spare rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
SM Surber
SM Surber rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Maggie
Maggie rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Irene
Irene rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Wendy
Wendy added it
Jan 27, 2016
Cheryl Neer
Cheryl Neer rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Caroline
Caroline rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
Lisa A Nofzinger
Lisa A Nofzinger rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Mary Kay
Mary Kay rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mary Sheepshanks is now publishing under her maiden name, Mary Nickson. Her works published as Nickson include Secrets and Shadows, a sequel to Off Balance.
More about Mary Sheepshanks...