Start by marking “The Arm of the Stone (The Stone Duology, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Arm of the Stone (The Stone Duology, #1)

The Arm of the Stone (The Stone Duology #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  20 reviews
“Treated with unusual depth.”—Locus

Long ago, when the worlds were one...

So begins the Tale, the ancestral legend Bron's family has guarded for a thousand years. Once, they were the keepers of the Stone, the most sacred object on earth, from which all the powers of Mind are drawn. But when the conflict between Mind and Hand split the worlds apart, the Stone was seized by a...more
Published (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Arm of the Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Arm of the Stone

Fantasy Literature
Long ago, after a battle for dominance between the power of mind (what we’d call magic) and the power of the hand (technology and tools), those with mindpower left for another world using the Stone, a magical talisman of great power. But after generations of peace, Percival stole the stone, killed the family that had wielded its power, and set up a new system of rule, with power strictly held by the Guardians, who enforced the rules against handpower of any sort.

The Arm of the Stone, by Victoria...more
Jean V. Naggar Literary
“An intelligent, fascinating novel...the complicated politics and social structure of this world give it a depth most fantasy novels lack.” --SF Site

“A rich story about human nature, this fantasy is a thought-provoking page-turner....A thoroughly enjoyable read.” --Kliatt

“A really brilliant novel...Most unusual and fascinating...Exceedingly well done.” --Anne McCaffrey, author of THE DRAGONRIDERS OF PERN

“Involving fantasy, treated with unusual depth.” --Locus
Ruth
Originally published at www.fantasyliterature.com

The world has been torn asunder. Originally held together by disciplines of mind and hand, devotees of the powers of the mind have been pushed aside by the technological innovations of the devotees of hand power. As belief in the power of magic fades, the last enclaves of magic users simply disappear. But they are not actually gone. They have formed a second world, accessible only by a few Gates that bind the two worlds together. This new world is...more
Alyssa Archambo
The beginning of The Arm of the Stone was really rocky for me. Honestly, it got to the point where I thought about giving it up; however, I didn't and I'm glad I stuck with it.

I thought the beginning was rather drawn out and overloaded with characters, history, etc. Also, the conflict didn't seem very interesting to me: Bron's family swears to take back the Stone, which was once theirs and reclaim their power from the Guardians who now hold it. I thought this was too simplistic and it didn't rea...more
Julie Davis
This was this week's free offer from Phoenix Picks (via Amazon for Kindle). It is the third one they've had and the first that I've liked enough to go on past a few pages. I'm interested to see where this story leads. I generally find stories with this many standard fantasy elements to be retreads, but this one feels different and I hope it keeps it up.

The basic story:
Long ago, when the worlds were one... So begins the Tale, the ancestral legend Bron's family has guarded for a thousand years. On
Katrina
Kay Iscah
Overall the writing was solid. The pieces of plot fit together. There's a prophecy plot and a whole wrestling with fate that's classic fantasy. But there were a few issues that keep it an okay rather than a great or good book.

Imagine the wizarding world has subjugated the rest of the world and blotted out technology to Dark Ages level, then imagine that Hogwarts is sadistic and legalistic and Professor Snape is the nicest teacher on staff. Keep all the legalism of the Catholic church, but remov...more
Helen
Phoenixpick.com freebie of April 2011

Having real trouble getting into this - i just can't work out why the "bad guys" are nasty and evil. Yes, there is corruption and nastiness in general - but why is the institution of baddies worthy of being taken down :S

I've seen tech = evil done so very well by David Weber in Off Armageddon Reef where the protaganist has a very understandable reason for causing change (and introducing tech back again). So here it's really falling flat for me.

It's a very eas...more
Tristan Gregory
Pretty good. Interesting world and plot, though it felt a bit disjointed at times. I feel like there was a lot of story the reader should have gotten between the beginning and the end that we ended up missing out on because the writing style bloated the length of the book.

By that, I mean that the paragraphs are all behemoths. There are no moments of rapidly-flowing narrative. Several sentences describe, and re-describe each moment, and close one eye and squint a little and re-examine it again....more
Nemi
This was one of my favorite fantasy books from a long time ago. I remember back when I first read it I had problems getting a copy of the sequel because it was out of print (now that I've remembered I found a copy on ebay). This story is a bit slow at times, but the overall writing is good. I love the way the world is woven together and the build up between the two main characters. I also enjoy the lack of cliche in regards to the ending between the two.
Patrick
It's rate I give up on a book, but I just could not get into this book. It seems like the typical Chosen One story where a boy with nothing emerges as the magical one to lead his people out of darkness and all that. And there are all these excess brothers and sisters I couldn't keep track of.
Travis Dalke
Loved it. Didnt think i was goign to enjoy it in the begining but one i got about 30 pages in, it had me hooked. I couldnt put it down. I enjoyed the unraveling of the the story and the melding of the different characters lives. I am looking forward to reading the sequel to this story.
Ellen
Well maybe 4 stars is a little high but the whole background "world" for this fantasy book was fascinating and totally new. I "think" I might look for the next one in the series-but maybe not. It did seem a little ponderous at times. We'll see. At least it's just a duology.
Miquela
I liked how Ms. Strauss took a classic fantasy trope and turned it on its head; however, the time jumps, while perhaps necessary to covering so much story time, left me disconnected from the characters, making this an OK, but not stellar, read for me.
C.S.
This is the kind of fantasy that pushes past my general distaste for fantasy. While I wasn't happy with the pure fantasy elements (I never am), the quality and depth of the writing kept me reading.
Hannah
Unique, intriguing fantasy. Focuses more on characters and situations than magic and myth, and poses some interesting points. I enjoyed it for it's divergence from the mainstream fantasy.
Deranged Pegasus
I am so thankful for Goodreads First Reads for allowing me to get this book. I have not yet had a chance to read it but once I do I will be sure to update this review.
Very slow-paced book. None of the characters were particularly enjoyable. Very little action, and I found myself unable to care about how the story played out.
Kayla Ashley
I won this book from a firstreads giveaway here on goodreads. I'm looking forward to reading and reviewing it soon!
AH
Apr 17, 2012 AH marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Kindle free download 4/17/12.
William
William marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Dannielle Logan
Dannielle Logan marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Estrella
Estrella marked it as to-read
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Kate Robinson
Kate Robinson marked it as to-read
Judy Yeargin
Judy Yeargin marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
  • Daughter of Elysium
  • Forward the Mage (Joe's World, #2)
  • The Gate of the Cat (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #8)
  • Pyg: The Memoirs of Toby, the Learned Pig
  • Purple and Black
  • Mount Pleasant
  • The Perfume Lover: A Personal History of Scent
  • The Ring of Five Dragons (The Pearl Saga, #1)
  • As the Crow Dies
  • The Winds of Khalakovo (Lays of Anuskaya, #1)
  • The Magic of Saida
  • Bright of the Sky (Entire and the Rose, #1)
  • Circuit of Heaven
  • Right Ascension
  • Farewell Horizontal
  • The Sacrifice (The Fey, #1)
  • Hero Wanted (Jason Cosmo #1)
  • Inherited Danger (The Dawning of Power, #2)
I'm the author of nine novels for adults and young adults, including the Stone duology ("The Arm of the Stone" and "The Garden of the Stone"); the Way of Arata duology ("The Burning Land" and "The Awakened City"); and "Passion Blue" and "Color Song," a pair of historical novels for teens. I've reviewed books for SF Site, Black Gate, and Fantasy magazine, and my articles on writing and how to get p...more
More about Victoria Strauss...
Passion Blue (Passion Blue, #1) The Garden of the Stone (The Stone Duology, #2) The Burning Land Color Song (Passion Blue, #2) The Awakened City