Start by marking “Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2)

Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery #2)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  3,042 Ratings  ·  270 Reviews
Melanie Cooper and Angie DeLaura's Fairy Tale Cupcakes bakery is gearing up for Valentine's Day. Unfortunately someone has iced Baxter Malloy on his first date with Mel's mother. Now Mom's a suspect, and Mel and Angie need to find time around frosting to dig into the man's shady past and discover who served him his just desserts.

Published January 4th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Buttercream Bump Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buttercream Bump Off

Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
You know not only do I think I might have found a new favorite series, but I think I found a favorite author. Yeah let's go with both. This one I think won me over. I mean I liked the first one just fine. But the second one in the series was just fun. Actually 2 books so far, made these books fun to read.

Basically, this is probably my favorite, so far anyway. Throughout the mystery, I was like oh wow the timing, the timing. Especially near the end with the reveal I was aww, then oh wait, myster
bella
Nov 05, 2011 bella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will pre-warn readers that I am going to rave about BUTTERCREAM BUMP OFF in a complete fangirly way! I am just starting to get back into cozy mysteries again, and I certainly chose a great series to start with. I absolutely adored SPRINKLE WITH MURDER, the first book in the Cupcake Bakery Mystery, and I loved the second book, BUTTERCREAM BUMP OFF, even more.

BUTTERCREAM BUMP OFF puts Melanie's mom in the spotlight, as Joyce is a suspect in a murder case. During her first date in many decades, J
Srividya
An interesting, funny and quite an easy read, complete with some mouthwatering cupcake recipes at the end.

Not much of a mystery but then I have realised that the cozy mystery genre, doesn't really emphasize much on crime solving in the usual way as much as it does on relationship building and some fun quirky tidbits that are usually centered around the theme in question, which in this case is cupcakes! Altvhough I must say that this one handled the crime and mystery solving aspect a little bette
Melodie
Jan 21, 2011 Melodie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
This series just hits all the right notes with me! This one was every bit as good as the first and now I've got to mark off the days until the next one comes out. Great characters, good story and some great sounding recipes to boot! I'd recommend this one to anyone who likes a good cozy!
QNPoohBear
Mar 03, 2016 QNPoohBear rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5-3.75 stars

Valentine's Day is fast approaching and Mel is busier than ever, baking for the shop and teaching couples' cooking classes. She thinks this would be the perfect time for Angie to confess her feelings for Tate, but Angie is insistent he loves Mel. Mel's own relationship with Joe is going nowhere fast because he's too busy working on the biggest case of his career to stay awake long enough to move their relationship to the next level. It's bad enough Angie and Tate know this but the
Nora-adrienne
Jan 23, 2011 Nora-adrienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies
Buttercream Bump Off
Jenn McKinlay
Copyright January 2011

Melanie (Mel) Cooper and Angie DeLaura are partners in a bakery named Fairy Tale Cupcakes. Their third partner is their friend and millionaire Tate. Mel gave up a career in Marketing and PR to bring it to reality. Angie gave up her job as a school teacher to buy into the dream. Things are starting to come together for the girls with the store now turning a profit.

The fly in this ointment of happiness is Mel’s inability to stay out of troubl
Michelle Randall
The Cozy Mystery Group is reading Sprinkle with Murder, book 1 of this series, and of course once I read it, I had to read the second book when I finished book one.

Fairy Tale Cupcakes, is a cupcake bakery owned and ran by Mel, with her best friends from grade school, Tate and Angie. In book one, they had to deal with the death of Tate's finance Christine and Mel being the prime suspect. Of course there is still the rival bakery owner, Olivia Puckett to deal with, but things are defintely better
Alexandra
This second book in the Cupcake Bakery Mystery series was cute, but it wasn't as cute as the first one.
The dialogue wasn't as great, the characters weren't as funny (in fact they weren't really funny at all) & it just paled so much in comparison to Sprinkle with Murder that I am really disappointed :x
The mystery started out really intriguing but it ended really abruptly and it was cleaned up a little too spick and span, even for a cozy murder mystery. I blinked and it was over. This book wa
Mark Baker
Feb 20, 2015 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2015
Love is in the air as Valentine’s Day approaches. Even Mel’s widowed mother is getting back into the dating game. But Joyce calls part way through the evening when she finds her date floating face down in his pool. Baxter was despised by all who knew him, but who actually decided to kill him?

It had been a while since I read the first in the series, but the characters came back to me very quickly. I enjoyed seeing them again and meeting the fun cast introduced here. The plot was a little thin at
Vickie
Sep 07, 2011 Vickie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second in the Cupcake Bakery Mystery series and just as fab as the first, SPRINKLE WITH MURDER (http://iyamvixenbooks.blogspot.com/20... ) that I read last summer. What's not to love about a well-written mystery, with interesting characters, and cupcake recipes?

There are plenty of characters to look into for possible suspects. The victim was a cad and I could see why someone would want him dead.

I really don't like Olivia Puckett, the owner of the cupcake competition. I am torn between wanting
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I dove into "Buttercream Bump Off" by Jenn McKinlay as I knew that the humorous adventures of co-owner's Melanie and Angie were just the cupcakes to entertain me on a quiet evening. Boy, was I right!

It begins with laughs at an over the top advertising scheme by their arch-enemy, Olivia and ends some quick 224 pages later with Olivia stealing the show. In-between laughs is a deviously plotted murder mystery set in the wonderful town of Old Town Scottsdale, AZ.

How does a 'heart-attack' dress kill
Melissa
Feb 28, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries

2nd in the Cozy Cupcake Murder series!

I really enjoy this series.
I like the characters of Mel, Angie, Tate, and Joe. They are really supportive to each other.

As Mel's Mom gets ready for her first date in years..they go shopping for a new dress for her Mom, and the situation that happens is really entertaining!
Unfortunately, the date dosent turn out that well..

While everyone tries to figure out the murder in this story, Life gets a little complicated for
Mel and Angie.
Angie meets someone new to d
Kate
Jan 21, 2013 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reallllllly hated this first book in this series and had sworn off reading any more. But then I read the author's library lovers series and I really enjoyed it, so I decided to give the cupcake series another try. This installment is leaps and bounds better than the first one, with much fewer run on sentences (yay!) and apart from a few things here and there (excessive use of "towards," which I Was always taught is not grammatically correct so it stuck out and bothered me) I did not long for a ...more
Evelyn
Cheerful, reads quick. Mystery was thin but the central characters mostly engaging, and I like the idea that the MC is surrounded by longtime friends. McKinlay likes a good set piece, unfortunately those she writes feel like they're ripped from some preteen Disney sitcom. No idea why it's important to have a rivalry with another cupcake shop. No idea why I had to suffer through that whole bit about the MC not having slept with her boyfriend yet (really?)/isn't it hilarious that the whole town kn ...more
Angie H
Jul 10, 2015 Angie H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery

Okay so it was pretty obvious who the murderer was early on, but that is to be expected. I still find this series entertaining. The characters are great, movie quotes are fabulous, cupcakes sound delicious, and the romance is ... well there is no love triangle so we are one step up from Hannah Swensen! =)

I will definitely pick up the next one in the series when I'm in the mood for a quick cozy that will make me laugh!!
RebeccaS
Sep 08, 2014 RebeccaS rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable mystery involving Angie, Tate, and Mel. I really like the dynamic of these main characters (though sometimes tense) and thought it was an interesting mystery. I was slightly surprised by the ending. The rivalry with Olivia is funny and I enjoy the occasional romance (view spoiler) I can't wait to read more from this series.
Verity W
Feb 25, 2015 Verity W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh these books are so much fun. The three friends are really good, the murder was really interesting and the ongoing threads are kept interesting without being wacky/outlandish for the sake of it. And yes I know this is only book two but the author is resisting the temptation to resolve the romantic threads too quickly and thus create problems later in the series. I need to read the next one...
Lynn Demsky

This was just a pure delight to read, although through all the stress of their lives the bakers ate so many cupcakes, I'm sure they'd make me sick. But the story was entertaining, fun, interesting, well plotted and I eagerly look forward to the next one in the series! Probably anyone who likes cozy's will love reading this one!
Jen
Apr 25, 2015 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buttercream Bump Off is the second book in the Cupcake Bakery mysteries series, and I found the book to be a fun read. I plan to read all of the books in this series. Buttercream Bump Off has a Valentine theme with some lovely cupcake recipes in the back of the book. The main characters are great with an entertaining story. Loved it!

Angel
Apr 18, 2014 Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, ok. I know these books aren't challenging. I know, I'm not expanding my understanding of the world or learning any great lesson. But the sure are fun! And lets face it sometimes what you really need is guilt free fun. These books are exactly that. If you need a break from 'heavy' reading and just want something fun these books are for you.
KarenF
Oct 27, 2012 KarenF rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, mystery, cozy
Fun cozy with likable characters and a decent mystery. The love triangle didn't even both me since the romance really isn't front and center. My only issue with this series is that it makes me want to bake & eat cupcakes!
Pinto Neo
Feb 16, 2015 Pinto Neo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author should have made the characters teenagers instead of working adults. The characters talk and act like teenagers.
Christina
Sep 05, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the characters. Really enjoying the series.
Raquel
Apr 09, 2011 Raquel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, april
Cute concept of mystery solved by cupcake bakery owners, but not very good.
Ed
#2 in the Cupcake Bakery mystery series. Average entry in one of many food-centric cozy series. A cupcake specialty is an interesting niche but it seems to be somewhat limiting. In addition to baking batches of pink cupcake for Valentine's Day, the partners are conducting a series of couples' cooking classes. There is also the cozy staple of competition from a nemesis, in this case Olivia Puckett, owner of Confections Bakery. The credulity strains when we find how many people know of the obligat ...more
Jenna
Jan 06, 2017 Jenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of the first four books in the series that I have read (am making my way through the series), I found this one to be the slowest and not as entertaining as the rest. I found that it took a long time to get into the book, the sense of mystery was not overly there and compared to the rest of the series, there just wasn't that adventurousness that Mel and Angie seemed to have in their other mysteries. I feel like I wasn't at the edge of my seat trying to figure out who the killer was. It was st ...more
Lisa
Jan 05, 2017 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the first book in this series, great characters and an interesting story line, however, once again, the ending fell flat and wrapped up too neatly. I am still curious to read the next book in the series and find out what happened with Tate and Angie
Nicole
Jan 05, 2017 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-listened, 4-000
I love with this series that I can listen to the books in one day. They move along at a nice pace, are fun, and for the most part, keep you guessing until the end. The characters are engaging and I liked the new characters that were introduced in this book. Fun read!
Jonathan
Pretty good, but many of the characters seemed immature and the killer was projected very early on. I will read the next one, however.
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3)
  • A Sheetcake Named Desire (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #1)
  • Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2)
  • The Diva Cooks a Goose (A Domestic Diva Mystery,  #4)
  • Stitch Me Deadly (An Embroidery Mystery, #2)
  • A Killer Crop (Orchard, #4)
  • Fruit of All Evil (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #2)
  • Through the Grinder (Coffeehouse Mystery, #2)
  • A Cookie Before Dying (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • A Deal to Die For (Good Buy Girls, #2)
Jenn is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of several mystery series and will be debuting a new women's fiction series in June 2017, starting with the title About a Dog. She lives in sunny Arizona in a house that is overrun with kids, pets and her husband's guitars.
More about Jenn McKinlay...

Cupcake Bakery Mystery (9 books)
  • Sprinkle with Murder (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #1)
  • Death by the Dozen (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #3)
  • Red Velvet Revenge (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #4)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Sugar and Iced (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #6)
  • Dark Chocolate Demise (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #7)
  • Vanilla Beaned (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #8)
  • Caramel Crush (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #9)

“This was the downside to cell phones. It was nowhere near as as satisfying to press end as it was to slam a phone into its holder.” 26 likes
“She clicked her phone shut. This was the downside to cell phones. It was nowhere near as satisfying to press end as it was to slam a phone into its holder. She” 0 likes