Midnighter, Vol. 1: Killing Machine

Midnighter, Vol. 1: Killing Machine (Midnighter #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Collecting issues #1-6 of the new series starring the popular member of The Authority! Midnighter must go back in time to kill one of history's greatest mass murderers — and he can't refuse due to the bomb in his chest! It's a race against — and through — time to complete the mission!
Published November 28th 2007 by Wild Storm

Federiken Masters
Nov 05, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Amantes de la violencia y las ucronías
Recommended to Federiken by: Autor y que estaba a mano
Cuando Ennis está inspirado hace historias geniales rebosantes de violencia, mala leche y una misantropía digna del personaje de Molière, pero con muchas puteadas. Cuando Ennis está apurado hace hace historias que van de lo aceptables a lo muy entretenidas, rebosantes de violencia, mala leche y una misantropía digna del personaje de Molière, pero con muchas más puteadas. Acá nos encontramos con el segundo caso. Midnighter se ve obligado a viajar atrás en el tiempo y matar a Hitler, hasta que una...more
Oliver Bateman
Blah. When you've done so much better before, as Garth Ennis had with Preacher and Hitman, everything else is a disappointment. The Midnighter was a good concept, but Ennis wasn't the best choice for this spinoff series.
Noah Soudrette
Garth Ennis never fails to disappoint. Besides, what character fits his hyper-violent storytelling style than the hyper-violent Midnighter. Basically, Midnighter gets sent back in time to kill Hitler, and does everything but. While the story itself isn;t special, it's nice to see the Midnighter given some serious character development here, and we come to understand who he really is at heart. This is followed by a tale of a medieval Japanese Midnighter, and only reinforces the themes of the firs...more
Krystl Louwagie
Never heard of this character before reading this-I doubt the series went on for long, since I haven't (just checked, 3 volumes-and the rest may not be written by Ennis, which means they might not be worth near as much as the first volume). However, I found it interesting, mysterious, and intelligent. I would like to know more. Also, I love the idea of having an openly gay, serious, main hero.
arjuna
Going to go with Noah Soudrette on this one - the story itself isn't anything particularly spectacular, but the way Ennis handles it - and his aside on the difficulty of Midnighter's idiosyncratic "life balance" needs - is very welcome and only cements Midnighter in place as an interesting, complex persona. Highly enjoyable.
Something just felt off for me about this book. Midnighter didn't feel right. It was like it had become too one sided in the violence and lost the core of the character. Also Apollo is barely in here except as a one note joke and the plot about Hitler was just not impressive. There were a few good bits, but overall I wouldn't recommend.
Tyson Adams
Ennis never fails to entertain. I'd previously read A Man Called Kev and some Grifter comics (via Ed Brubaker's brilliant Sleeper and Point Blank series) and this brings the trademark Ennis humour and ultraviolent antihero. Sits nicely alongside The Boys, in my opinion.
Mike
Fun, imaginative, gory and thoughtful. Funny in the right places. Does Ennis do it any other way? The art was passable - professional but nothing above the standard that any decent works I've spent time on have achieved.

Midnighter's religious joke? Awesome.
Timo
Massive straight forward violent fun. Absolutely great fun with nice cartoony art.
And then came the stand alone story at the end. What a piece of crappy samura shit.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I actually liked it a lot. I wasn't able to put it down and go to bed so I stayed up till almost 2 hours past my bedtime since it was late when I started it...
Sammy
Sammy marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
John Muñoz
John Muñoz marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Shane Gerlalch
Shane Gerlalch marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch...more
More about Garth Ennis...
Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas Preacher, Volume 2: Until the End of the World Preacher, Volume 3: Proud Americans Preacher, Volume 9: Alamo Preacher, Volume 6: War in the Sun