Start by marking “Worst Impressions” as Want to Read:
Worst Impressions

Worst Impressions

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  235 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
WORST IMPRESSIONS is a YA urban twist on Pride and Prejudice featuring Liz Bennett, a basketball phenom whose already dramatic world is turned upside down when two popular boys enter her life--one vying for her affection and the other plucking her nerves. It's a laugh-out-loud romantic comedy for teens 13 and up.

Sharp-witted basketball phenom Liz Bennett just wants finish
Nook
Published March 13th 2011 by LadyLit Press (first published March 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Worst Impressions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worst Impressions

J. Bailey
Jun 05, 2011 J. Bailey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book yesterday at Chicago's annual Lit Fest. I was intrigued by the premise--a modern day, young adult Pride and Prejudice in and urban setting. It was a fun, easy read which was laught out loud funny in parts. There were also a couple of serious messages/themes in the book that managed to peek out without being preachy, which is, in and of itself, hard to do.

Liz Bennett is a bright sixteen year old girl who is more more comfortable in her baggy clothes and on the basketball co
Janelle
Aug 26, 2011 Janelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Oh man. I wanted this to work. It was a pick of the day from BookLending.com and only $.99. I love the original, and I wanted so very much for this to work.

It just didn't.

The "urban" language turned me off. It's SO overdone here. I don't mind an "a'ight" or three, but not every other phrase needs to be "real", you know? Even my family members who can successfully pull off this mode of speaking don't do so all the time, and we certainly aren't anywhere near upper-middle class.

Wedging Pride &
Jessica Martinez
i won Worst Impressions in return for a review so here it is:
i was itching to get my hands on this book because i am a big Jane Austen fan. i was not disappointed after reading it. the author stuck true to the characters personalities and i loved the book.
Liz is as witty and funny as in P&P and Darcell is the same way as Darcy....but for teens.
i especially loved how Mrs. Bennett was portrayed over the top and the total opposite than in P&P; instead of trying to marry her daughters off a
Sammy Matara
Jan 02, 2014 Sammy Matara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the books my mom selected for my kindle I thought since it said teen romantic comedy, I wanted to read it.
It’s about these four sisters Jeni, Liz, Lydia, and Kat, (this is their order from oldest to youngest.)Their mom is a house realtor, she sells a house to a famous football player from the Seattle Seahawks. His name is Darnell Williams. He has two older sons Charles and Darcel. Jeni falls in love with Charles;After some time Liz realizes she likes Darcel
“Sometimes people aren’
Stacypete
Mar 16, 2011 Stacypete rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this 4.5 stars.

I received a review copy of Worst Impressions and I have to say I really enjoyed this story. It's loosely based on one of my favorite books, Pride and Prejudice. Although I'm not a teen, Liz Bennett really took me back to my awkward teen years when I felt like I never really quite fit in. She's a smart kid who is a bit of a tomboy, loves basketball, and is unlucky in love...until Trent Whitman comes into her life. He's smooth, handsome, and says all the right things. Of
LaToya Moore
Jan 13, 2015 LaToya Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

This is a good read for teenagers and adults. It's very funny, relatable and hits true points. It will help young people understand why they should not assume or judge others before they learn about them. Also, it gives a little fantasy to those who like happy endings.
Kenechi Udogu
Dec 02, 2013 Kenechi Udogu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I laughed all through this book! Loved it and would recommend it for a fairly quick light YA romance read. I wasn't expecting the Pride and Prejudice link at all so that was a pleasant surprise when it hit me. It helped explained some of Lydia's prejudice comments and attidude towards the twins, which I wouldn't have seen past otherwise. Very well thought out modern adaptation.
Felicia
May 09, 2011 Felicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really kept me on my toes! I could easily relate to the narrator, because she was just trying to get by in a house full of crazy girls and a high school full of confusing boys. There were definitely a lot of surprises! This was a great book, a fun and entertaining read, with that happy ending that really makes you feel like the book is finished.
Tonya
May 01, 2011 Tonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Easy read and well written. a great African American version of Pride and Prejudice set in present day. Highly recommend!

And i'm not saying this because I won an advanced copy. I was quite skeptical but very pleasantly surprised! Hope to read more by Ms. Brady.
Ebprl7
Aug 02, 2013 Ebprl7 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best Young Adult novel I've read in the past ten years at least. I put this up there with Walter Dean Meyers work, except 'Worst Impressions' had more of a comedic feel to it, so a bit different, but totally authentic.
Caitlin Lillie
Jan 08, 2014 Caitlin Lillie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dear K.L.Brady,

Firstly, congratulations on writing a book. I know, it's hard to sit down and get those ideas out of your head and into the page. And the editing, and publishing...
I'm sorry, but I wish that you hadn't.
Worst Impressions could also go under the title of worst book I've read in the last year. Only two types of P&P remakes work for me: ones that remake the story so a new generation can understand it (think Lizzie Bennet Diaries) or a what-happened-next with minor characters (Geor
Shalone Anderson
This was a really cute story. The mother is definitely like many southern mothers. The sisters are comical. I could easily picture the scene and I love the moms stance. Sweet book.
Liz smith
May 05, 2011 Liz smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
OMG!! i loved this book, from start to finish i couldnt put it down. The characters are excellent and very "real" props to the author cannot wait for the next book.
Nardsbaby Reader
Curve Balls

Liz Bennett's body matured way before the boys around her. In an effort to distance herself from their lurking stares and lewd comments, Liz decided to opt out of wearing clothes that would show any parts of her body. Because she wore baggy clothes, played basketball and preferred Skechers over heels, she was labeled a dyke. Can't win for losing, Liz is trying to be who she is without having to defend herself. High school can be so cruel. Worse when you have three other sisters who ap
Ari
Favorite lines 'You got me? You live in the same neighborhood I live in. You don't know a dang thing about the ghetto. What're you gonna do, hit 'em in the head with a football?' [Liz]

'I saw Boyz in the Hood three times' [Darcell]
'Why didn't you say so before? Now I feel safe...not'" Liz (pg. 212)

"'Who is it?' Trent yelled
'No esta aqui' I hollered back.
Okay was it stupid to yell, 'I'm not here' in Spanish from the wrong side of the door? Absolutely. But I was scared shitless and couldn't thin
Katie
May 27, 2015 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-2013
Some minor spoilers to fully accomodate for my rage.

I have no idea which teenagers talk in whatever trash that was, especially an AP kid, but if you do, PLEASE direct me to them. The language itself made me want to hurl the story into a brick wall at the inaccurate description. And yes, drugs, alcohol, and sex occurs in the school but not to the point that it was made out to be. Books like these give adults a false glimpse into a teenager.

But besides the language, I was still inclined to read
Cathy
May 12, 2011 Cathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I got this as an Advance Reader Copy so here's my review. This is a young adult novel based on Pride and Prejudice. It had several flaws, but overall was a cute story. The characters are weakly developed but for some reason, still likable. The main problem was the plot. I think because it's based on a well known story, the author took some shortcuts with plot development. Just because the main frame of the plot was already predetermined by the Pride and Prejudice plot, however, doesn't mean that ...more
Sherreka Burton
May 20, 2014 Sherreka Burton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is basically an urban, young adult version of Pride & Prejudice, so the main thing that is going to determine whether you like this book or not: if you can or can't handle the vernacular. It personally didn't bother me...too much. There were some parts that mad me cringe cause it was overdone, but all in all, it was ok. I might recommend it to a kid that likes to read urban novels.

Zaria Hunter
It was a cute book. I Thought it was extremely hilarious and lots of fun. My only flaw is that the book had a bit too much slang but besides that I absolutely loved it. Lisa and Darcell were cute the same as Jeni and Charles. Kat and Lydia however had some serious issues which you will find out about if you read the book. This is one of my favorite short stories and is definitely a thumbs up.
Mamajay
May 30, 2014 Mamajay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Young Love

Young Love

Great book, I could really relate to this story I have 3 daughter's the good thing for me is that they all was about 7 years apart. I'm glad for that I would have been just like the mom. I wish it could have went a little longer. Great story...
Jenni
A sweet YA kindle freebie. I was kind-of interested in the story and read it in one go. I like the way we understood the mother's behaviour later on as it added depth to the tale. I'll look out for more by the author if it is free on kindle again....
Telarnii
Sep 16, 2014 Telarnii rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great rendition of Jane Austen's classic pride and prejudice.
Vickie Ventura
Nov 24, 2014 Vickie Ventura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brown-books
Cute story. It's the first book I've read in my attempt to become more familiar with the YA section of my library and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It took me back to high school and high school problems and the innocence and hilarity of it all. I recommend this for anyone looking for a quick, funny, mushy book to read. I look forward to seeing what else K.L. Brady comes up with.
Donna
Jan 21, 2013 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-romance
This book annoyed me at first because of all the street talk. Here is an "A" student talking and thinking "all up in yo grill". It got to the point, I had to take a break from it. On the other hand, it redeems itself with the strong point made that a gentleman will wait till you are married. Thank You, Thank You! A great book for teens you want to send a message to.
Larissa :)
May 07, 2012 Larissa :) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star-read
Okay. Well.
First of all, this is NOT how young people talk.
Second, this is NOT how teenagers talk!
Third, this is NOT how YOUNG ADULTS/TEENAGERS/YOUNG PEOPLE TALK!

Due to the dialogue I just could not enjoy this re-telling of Pride and Predujice.

But who knows it might "float your boat" so give it a go :)
Hooskadooo
Sep 26, 2012 Hooskadooo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for teens and those who are quick to judge. Also great for those teens who "know it all" and are looking for love too early and in all the wrong places.
Carla
Oct 02, 2012 Carla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I read with the kindle my awesome sister gave me, the kindle is great, the book.....dumb.
YH
Apr 11, 2011 YH marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I just won this book on Goodreads! I can't wait to read it! Thank you.
Chelsea
Great loved how they got together in the end
Katrina
Nov 23, 2012 Katrina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quick read that left a lot to be desired.
HOT NEWS! 1 6 Mar 20, 2011 06:00AM
  • Leoti
  • Reconstructing Jada Channing
  • When the Smoke Clears (Interracial Firefighter Romance)
  • Crush
  • Stronger Than Me
  • The Politics of Love
  • Classic (Adrenaline, #1)
  • The Fight Within
  • Creature of the Night (Urban Vampire, #2).
  • Scarred (Damaged Souls, #1)
  • Armored (The Té-trad Tale, #1)
  • Wild, Wild Mess:Atlanta
  • An Unlikely Encounter
  • On Caristo's Watch (Italian Knights, #2)
  • Ballers: His Game (Ballers Series Book 1)
  • Creatures Here Below
  • Pursuing Zarah (Zarah, #1)
  • Eris (Eternal Truths Series, Book 1)
K. L. Brady is a D.C. native but spent a number of her formative years in the Ohio Valley. She’s an alumnus of the University of the District of Columbia and University of Maryland University College, earning a B.A. in Economics and M.B.A., respectively. A lifelong Washington football fan, she's a professed nerd-girl who loves all things Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Big Bang Theory ...more
More about K.L. Brady...

“You are a thoughtless person with no consideration for the feelings of others. Your best quality is someday you’re gonna die. If you were a planet in the solar system among millions of beautiful heavenly bodies, you’d still choose to revolve around yourself. If every day was Christmas, you’d give yourself 366 gifts, two on your birthday. If you thought about looking into your soul to become a better person, you’d change your mind because there’s no mirror attached and you couldn’t admire your face or flexed muscles. If rulers could measure a man’s character, you’d be a centimeter. And if you ever again decide to call me a name, next time try Liz.” 2 likes