Start by marking “Fear Of The Dark” as Want to Read:
Fear Of The Dark

Fear Of The Dark (Fearless Jones #3)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  929 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
'I'm in trouble, Paris'. Paris Minton has heard these words before. They mean only one thing, that his neck is on the line too. So when they are uttered by his lowlife cousin Ulysses S. Grant, Paris keeps the door to his bookshop firmly closed. With family like Ulysses who needs enemies?
Paperback
Published January 1st 2008 by Serpent's Tail (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Fear Of The Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear Of The Dark

Jonathan
May 03, 2012 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If anyone out there has anything against Walter Mosley, you might want to un-follow me for a couple weeks. I’m on a Mosley bender these days, and I ain’t apologizing for it—mostly because Walter Mosley’s books are literary crack. But if you’re one of the cool kids, you know that already. I’m currently listening to his very first novel, Devil in a Blue Dress, and I plan to raid the local library for everything Mosley at the first opportunity. Right now, however, I’m all about another Mosley novel ...more
Lbaker
Jul 16, 2011 Lbaker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Walter Mosley, the characters he creates are people I would love to meet, Paris Minton is no exception.

His descriptions are rich, he describes Cousin "Useless" as "a petty thief, a liar, a malingerer and just plain bad luck", don't we all know this person?

On top of that, his language is extensive, who else would say "errant eructation" rather than belching?

I'm 1/2 way through, and reading slowly, savouring this book. Paris is in a room with his friend Fearless, his aunt Three Hearts and a
Gossymotto
This is the second book I have read from Walter Mosley and it won't be the last. His characters are very real (even if their names seem overdone). This book is written in first person and although most of the characters in the story are larger than life, Paris, the one telling the story, is just an ordinary (even slightly cowardly) character that finds himself in extraordinary circumstance. It's the kind of story that most people can not necessarily picture themselves in, but possible imagine ha ...more
Stewart
Jun 17, 2015 Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This fantastic entry in the saga of Paris Minton and Fearless Jones gets a bonus star just for giving the nickname "Useless" to its colossal screw-up antagonist Ulysses, 'cause that's awesome.

There are not enough accolades for me to praise Walter Mosley with. He elevates the hard-boiled, noir form by setting it in the black neighborhoods of Los Angeles, 1950s LA for the Fearless Jones series. His vivid prose brings alive the travails of a people trying to live in a society that has thoroughly st
Larry Piper
This is the third (and last so far?) of Mosley's Fearless Jones novels. I took up Fearless Jones this summer as a break from Easy Rawlins, whose series I had apparently finished up last summer.

I think reading three such books in a short period of time wears thin. The schtick gets old. Still, the book posed an interesting problem. The crimes involved, in part, white victims. But the black victims would get no justice were the police called in. So Paris and Fearless had to work through things on
Continualknowledge
Same characters and same sort of plot but this Fearless Jones wasn't as good as the other one. And I know part of that was because I fell in love with Don Cheadle's voice. He seemed to personify Paris and Michael Boatman just didn't do that for me. Plus it seemed as if Paris' intellect didn't come through as much as Fear Itself. In this one I also didn't get the same sense of black male power in an intellectual and cerebral way.

Now that I've said what I didn't get, this is what I did get from F
Carl R.
May 06, 2012 Carl R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Walter Mosley is one of my favorite mystery writers, but I haven’t read anything of his in quite a while. It’s fun to be back in touch with this prolific creator of such colorful characters as Easy Rawlins, Fearless Jones, and Useless (Ulysses) Grant. Mosely has a seemingly effortless style that reminds of Larry McMurtry in that everything on the page looks as if it flowed out of the keyboard fully formed, like Athena from Zeus’s head. Here’s the opening sentence of Fear of the Dark:

I was expe
Bookmarks Magazine

Although Walter Mosley is best known for his popular Easy Rawlins series, critics agree that the newer Fearless Jones books come in a close second. After all, they're close cousins, both set in Los Angeles in the 1950s and dealing with themes of racism, black culture, and social injustice. The newer series, however, written in similarly cool, witty prose, is lighter in tone. Reviewers praised Mosley's vivid, convincing characters__Fearless, of course, but also the women, including the intrepid T

Sherrill Watson
Mar 03, 2015 Sherrill Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not QUITE up to Mosley's standards by my estimation, but still, worth reading. Too many characters to keep track of. Really liked Paris Minton, even though he wasn't supposed to be the main character, but "Useless" took a secondary role. Enough blood and guts for a man, not quite enough touchy feely for me (what about a STRONG woman in the bookstore while Paris is away?) but still, THANKS WALTER!

Carla
Feb 27, 2011 Carla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book there was alot of death, no sex and plenty of booze. Not much different from the Easy Rawlins series. I think I like Easy better.. Fearless Jones is supposed to be the main character but this book was told from the perspective of his friend Paris Minton.
The story is simply, Paris' cousin Useless comes to his house but Paris won't let him in because the last time he did the police showed up and a whole lot of trouble. And then Ulysses (called Useless by everybody but his
Shawn
Feb 29, 2016 Shawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jan-27-2016
This sometimes comical, intriguing, mystery of friendship and dysfunction will keep you on the edge of your seat waiting to see what happens next. Paris (the consummate hero) finds his book store background plunges him into challenges with Fearless, and his cousin Ulysses, (aka "Useless" the liar) that he may not survive.
A must read since descriptions reveal to much of the plot. HAPPY READING!!!!!!!!
Probibliophile
Sep 30, 2011 Probibliophile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio
I really liked this book, which I "read"as an audiobook. I downloaded another Mosley, one from the EZ Rawlins series, and took one out from the library. I have been meaning to read him since Clinton was in office and he is even better than I thought. I loved the protagonist, Paris Minton (Sp?), and his combination of erudition and comfort on the mean streets of Watts circa 1956. Some of his women are male fantasy figures, but not all of them. I have been trying to figure out how this book corres ...more
Darlis
Aug 07, 2015 Darlis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed listening to this one. I really liked that it had a "gritty" '50's feel to it. I liked the characters and how a basically nice guy had all these "friends" who are in trouble. nice mystery.
Billie
Jan 26, 2014 Billie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book a couple of years ago just realized I had not added it to my list. I love the team Fearless Jones and Paris Minton. They flow thru the world of 1950's LA With a style and grace that keeps one reading. The secondary characters are also outstanding. They ring with familiarity in my own life. A good read.
Jerry-Mac
Sep 13, 2015 Jerry-Mac rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Miley the Book Junkie Reads . . .
Paris is at it again and this time Fearless Jones is not the one to drag him head first into the problem. If only you could pick family like you pick your friends. Paris is up to his hair line in a problem that he just happen to get caught up in due to family. Then he experience white fever and Asian fever all in a span of a week maybe two. This set in the 50s is a small cause for concern, but then it is set in California.
Gwendolyn Dabney
This was another great adventure for Fearless and Paris. There is always someone getting hurt or killed around these two. I look forward to reading more and hope Paris gets a woman and business in his bookstore.
Dannie
May 13, 2014 Dannie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Walter Mosley book. I'm aware that it's not the first Fearless book but I am now a fan! I saw this book at a thrift store and I'm so glad I judged the book by its cover! I have since then added a few more of Mosley's books to my collection.
Dilsa
Feb 17, 2011 Dilsa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paris Minton has a wonderful sense of humor as he decribes the turmoil in his life caused by his cousin Useless. I listened to Michael Boatman read this novel in its audio version in my car, and hated whenever I reached my destination and had to turn it off. It was extremely entertaining. This was the third in a series, so I am going back for more.

Dilsa Saunders Bailey, author of Dreams Thrown Away,a romantic suspense novel available in Kindle format on Amazon.Dreams Thrown Away
Solocol
Feb 12, 2015 Solocol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For a Walter Mosley book, it just doesn't cut it. Compared to other authors it's still a damn exciting ride.
Mary
Mar 09, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Easy Rawlins novel. Walter Mosley is a gifted author giving us a unique look into the poorer sections of LA in the mid-fifties. I hope Mosley lives a good long life to give us many more wonderful adventures.

This book included cousin Eustace (more commonly known as Useless), his mother Three Hearts (watch out for that evil eye), and Fearless Jones. I found the book to be totally enjoyable with enough action to keep me awake (unfortunately some of the time was when I should have been sleep
Roberta
Walter Mosley is an amazing author! He brings you right into the midst of his stories.
Lori S.
Paris Minton is an interesting guy and one after my own heart: he owns a bookstore. This doesn't stop him from getting into troubles when his cousin, Ulysses "Useless" Grant, IV shows up at his door asking for help then disappears again ... on the heels of Paris' cousin comes Ulysses' mother Three Hearts (that's what her name sounds like to me), who is a force to be reckoned with in her own right [she carries a .44 in her purse]. Throw in blackmail money, crooked cops, Paris' friend Fearless Jon ...more
Gerald Kinro
Feb 26, 2012 Gerald Kinro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardboiled mystery fans
Mosley is my favorite contemporary hardboiled mystery writer. Set in Los Angeles in 1955, this story explores the lonley, seedier side of the City of Angels (Chandleresque). Paris Minton and pal Fearless Jones set out to find Minton's good-for-nothing cousin who could be in the middle of an extortion scheme. Great pace, great characters, great action and very moody, this book is one good read. Only two details in the plot kept me from giving it another star. It may have been intentional on Mosle ...more
Bobbi Siegmann
Jan 16, 2016 Bobbi Siegmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mystery set in black community of 1950's LA.
Shayla
Feb 25, 2011 Shayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first time reading anything by Mosely and I enjoyed this book. Paris was funny. I loved the friendship between him and Fearless. If I had one critique, it just wasn't suspenseful enough for me and didn't find myself REALLY wanting to know what was going on. I didn't care so much about who had murdered whom and Useless's role in the whole thing. But I did enjoy the ride that Mosley took me on. I'm going to check out another one of his novels.
Villager
Oct 02, 2012 Villager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book in the 3-book series. The insights into the character of Paris Minton and Fearless Jones are outstanding as our dynamic duo get plunged into another life-threatening case of blackmail, murder and mayhem. The plot for this story is a good one. It's a shame that Paris didn't get mentioned in the title of these 3 books as he as much a star as Fearless.

Go ahead ... read all 3 books and enjoy more of the Mosley magic!
Christopher Roberts
I read this book without having read the first but I don't think you would have to to enjoy it. This is the second in Mosley's Fearless Jones series and the thing I like about this book is that it is narrated, not by the character Jones, but by his timid bookseller friend. Other than that though I think it is a pretty weak Mosley novel. It never quite gets cooking the way his Easy Rawlins books do and remains rather shapeless and slight.
Jul 05, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audiobooks
This was my first Walter Mosley book and I loved it. First, the reader of the audio book was fantastic. A deep voice, easy to listen to, with both good male and female voices. Secondly, Mosley has a talent like Larry McMurtry. He can perfectly describe a character, both their personality and their appearance, in one pithy sentence. I enjoyed listening to the book, especially listening for those description.
Nikki Nielsen
'Fear of the Dark' takes place in LA California in the 1950's. That time period/area in itself was very interesting to read about. The main character Paris, is an African-American bookstore owner. He mixes with all sorts, gets in all kinds of jams, and discovers perhaps a few too many dead bodies to be believable. A little violence and language, but good character development.
  • When the Thrill Is Gone
  • Blanche Passes Go
  • Devil's Gonna Get Him (Tamara Hayle, #2)
  • In the Night of the Heat (Tennyson Hardwick, #2)
  • The Lost Treasures of R&B
  • Joplin's Ghost
  • Black Orchid Blues
  • Palace Council
  • Shadows Still Remain
  • George Washington Gomez: A Mexicotexan Novel
  • Demon Lover (Caitlin Ross #6)
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
  • Paloma (Retrieval Artist, #5)
20850
Walter Mosley (b. 1952) is the author of the bestselling mystery series featuring Easy Rawlins, as well as numerous other works, from literary fiction and science fiction to a young adult novel and political monographs. His short fiction has been widely published, and his nonfiction has appeared in the New York Times Magazine and the Nation, among other publications. Mosley is the winner of numero ...more
More about Walter Mosley...

Fearless Jones (4 books)
  • Fearless Jones (Fearless Jones, #1)
  • Fear Itself (Fearless Jones, #2)
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)