Start by marking “Swahili for the Broken-hearted” as Want to Read:
Swahili for the Broken-hearted

Swahili for the Broken-hearted

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  418 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A week after breaking up with the GND – his travelling companion in The Full Montezuma – Peter ran off to Africa to lose himself for a while.
Following the fabled Cape Town to Cairo route, he used public transport to go from the southern most city in Africa to the pyramids of Egypt - encountering wild animals, corrupt border guards, political turmoil and virulent stomach bu
Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Swahili for the Broken-hearted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swahili for the Broken-hearted

John
Although a "sequel" to THE FULL MONTEZUMA, this one can be read before that one; the "broken hearted" aspect doesn't overshadow the story as much as the title would suggest. Solid writing, but not much especially humorous or clever. Moore seemed to lose some momentum by the time he reached Ethiopia, and frankly so did I.
Sally Seymore
I enjoyed this book, especially because Peter Moore takes you through the roads of Africa, less travelled. However, I was disappointed to read his version of the history of District Six in Cape Town as it was not the people now living in Kayalitsha and other townships who were moved, but the colored people from the Cape Flats. Although he has travelled Africa before writing this book, he made it clear that he will not do so again, as everything seems to have fallen into disrepair. I suppose I ca ...more
C

Peter Moore is an Aussie travel blogger turned writer. Years ago I'd read his misadventures online, and when I'd found he was publishing books, really wanted to get my hands on them and have a read, but since they're Aussie publications, it was a royal headache to track them down and have them shipped to the States.

Imagine my happiness when I found them in eBook format for 5$ a pop. No shipping! No hassle!

The book:
First, don't expect prose. He has some nice stuff in there, but nothing that's go
Jacqui
This book was fantastic. It was perfect for me to read wile traveling in Africa. Admittedly, I didn't go all the way from Capetown to Cairo, but I certainly traveled by a variety of transportation choices (some questionable) in several of the countries he passed through.

His descriptions as a Westerner - mostly of his first impressions of Africa - are hilarious, and really appreciated by this first timer to the continent. I think going on an epic journey is one of the best ways to overcome heart
Sarah Sammis
Swahili for the Broken-Hearted by Peter Moore was born out of his break-up with his girl friend and traveling companion. After spending months with friends in South Africa, basically living on his friends' couch, watching soap operas, he decides it's time to head home. Rather than head home by hopping on a plane bound for Australia, he decides to travel overland along the eastern coast of Africa for Cairo.

Although Moore's book is about traveling through Africa, don't confuse it for a travel guid
Nicole Hardy
I enjoyed Peter Moore's writing and his mostly phlegmatic attitude towards his fellow travellers. Many hair-raising adventures and endless hot, dusty, exhausting journeys in death-trap vehicles. Fun. I would read something else by Mr Moore and would recommend this to anyone who enjoys travel or is interested in other countries/cultures, and to those who (like me) are just armchair globetrotters! Mr Moore's irreverance and good humour are really refreshing and just the thing if you're in a dark m ...more
Peta Hay
up to his usual excellent standard. I recommend this book
Steve
Really, man? An entire book dedicated to your public transport exploits and staying in hostels? "They were tribesmen of the African coffee table book variety..." pretty much sums this book up. It was written by a guy who has never lived in Africa, nor taken the time to learn about this continent, much less understand the people. And as far as the pantheon of travel-writing is concerned, this is pretty lame. Sorry. It just sucks.
Pussinbooks
Screamingly funny - had me laughing out loud on the train.
This is the first of Moore's books I read - I then went on to read some of his others which had the same effect.
He has a real way with words, managing to describe the most mundane things in such a way that made me almost wet myself with laughter!
ashok
I got this book as a gift. Unfortunately, I read a couple of chapters and hurled it across the room. You have to weep if this the state of travel writing. Someone needs to educate the author, with perhaps a book by Robert Byron.

If you are looking kindling -- this book will certainly make the cut.
Roz Meineke
This book is hilarious! One of the first books to make me genuinely laugh out loud! It's also quite inspirational! I have a soft spot for Africa and soon after reading this book did a trip over there staying at, and seeing many of the places Moore went to! Great, easy to read book.
Emilie
Really enjoyed this book, reminded me of all the crazy and slightly reckless positions I put myself in similar travels in Latin America....I particularly loved how Moore didn't mince words - if a place was shit, he had no gripes saying so. Makes me want to backpack again!
Rachel
Very entertaining read. I was keen to read up on going to Africa before my trip there in a couple of months, particularly Peter's Kilimanjaro trip. Has given me a good feel for where I'm going but has made me even more nervous about climbing Kilimanjaro.
Mark
A light hearted travel essay about a guy who hitch-hiked his way from South Africa to Egypt and his various adventures along the way. Not the best written but certainly enjoyable. I read it on the beaches of Zanzibar and thought it was fun.
J'pkorir Rose
He spelling of Isiolo was wrong...killed the book but most interesting while reading this book, a friend called me to ask if I can host his German friend on a border run which in almost felt like Peter Moore's stopped by my house.
Carol
Good light hearted travel book following the authors adventures across Africa. Written to some degree like a blog. If you're wanting deep and meaningful this is not for you.
Nurul
funny, fun, and addictive.. make me wanna travel across Africa to mend a broken heart too. But my journey will cross the romantic morocco if i could ;p
Enid
I absolutely loved this book, it had me in stitches at times, I felt like I was on adventure with him. I would read this over and over!
Disliked this book and the author's depictions from the start, but finished the book hoping it would redeem itself. It didn't.
Steven
Good follow up to The Full Montezuma. Very easy to read and really makes you feel you are there with him.
Libby
Peter Moore certainly puts himself in dangerous situations. Why he does this I do not know.
Emma
Moore at his best. If you like travel memoirs join Moore on his post break-up trip through Africa.
Kandyce
A fast read of the author's accounts on a Cape Town- Cairo journey. Humorous and quick
John Jones
Travels round Africa. Bit light but enjoyable nonetheless. Hardly Kapuscinzki though.
Katy
I think the broken-hearted bit was added in after the journey.
Good journey though.
Kathleen
a good book. some very funny bits. a little bit slow in parts.
Kris Lowe
A funny travel book. Now I don't need to visit Africa.
Cynthia
Very amusing with some good insights.
  • Do Not Pass Go
  • In the Empire of Genghis Khan: An Amazing Odyssey Through the Lands of the Most Feared Conquerors in History
  • The Road to McCarthy: Around the World in Search of Ireland
  • Right to the Edge: Sydney to Tokyo by Any Means
  • Bangkok Days
  • Rule No. 5: No Sex on the Bus: Confessions of a Tour Leader
  • Not So Funny When It Happened: The Best of Travel Humor and Misadventure
  • Don't Look Behind You!: A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesick Rhinos
  • One Hit Wonderland
  • Long Way Down
  • Blood River: A Journey to Africa's Broken Heart
  • Patagonia Revisited
  • Viva South America!: A Journey Through A Restless Continent
Peter Moore has been writing fiction since he was eleven years old, and became an amateur lycanthropologist even earlier. Because he studied hard in high school and ate all his vegetables, he was able to attend Vassar College and Columbia University. Though he briefly considered a career in the FBI, America can rest easy: it didn’t work out. Instead, he has worked as a screenwriter, college profes ...more
More about Peter Moore...
Red Moon Rising V is for Villain Vroom with a View: In Search of Italy's Dolce Vita on a '61 Vespa The Little Book of Pandemics: 50 of the world's most virulent plagues and infectious diseases The Wrong Way Home