Start by marking “The Forgotten Storm: The Great Tri-State Tornado of 1925” as Want to Read:
The Forgotten Storm: The Great Tri-State Tornado of 1925

The Forgotten Storm: The Great Tri-State Tornado of 1925

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The amazing true story of the deadliest tornado in American history, as told by a survivor.
Published June 1st 2004 by The Lyons Press (first published November 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Forgotten Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forgotten Storm

Peggy
Jan 07, 2009 Peggy rated it it was amazing
Wallace Akin's the Forgotten Storm: the Great Tri-State Tornado of 1925 is a well written and researched book. Many of the stories in the book actually came from the survivors of the storm. Mr. Akin was a survivor, who as a 2 year old boy, lived in the twon of Murphysboro, IL. This town was one of the hardest hit by the tornado.

The supercell tornado began in the state of Missouri, crossed the Mississippi River into Southern Illinois and then crossed the Wabash River into Indiana. In Indiana, som
'chris d
May 30, 2010 'chris d rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: weather geeks, disaster lovers
Rating should be 3 1/2 stars

The Forgotten Storm chronicles the Tri-State Tornado of 1925, which traveled from southeastern Missouri through southern Illinois before dissipating in southern Indiana.

Author Wallace Akin has first hand knowledge of this terrible tornado; he was two years old when the tornado hit his home in Murphysboro, IL.

Akin uses first hand interviews, recollections, period newspaper reports and solid resources to reconstruct the path of the tornado town by town. It is a compelli
pianogal
This book was decent. I kinda wish I'dve read it before I read Death Rides the Sky because that one is so detailed. This one gives a better overview and also includes solid weather data that add to the story and don't bog us down. I did feel a little like he focused more on Illinois, but since that's where he lived, it's understandable.

This would be a good first read about the TriState Tornado.
Chelly
May 17, 2015 Chelly rated it it was amazing
Goid read witg svience facts interspersed in the narrative. Only thing I call a misnomer is that it isnt his account its a collection of accounts and news sources of the day. He was only 2 when the storm struck so most of the memories are not his but what others told him. Worth the read as i read it for a book club.
Art
Apr 23, 2016 Art rated it really liked it
Shelves: weather
Seeing this book in a Maryland bookstore brought back a memory of my grandmother telling me about this tornado as she went through it in Missouri as a little girl.I bought the book on the spot. I've reread it a few times over the years. I think the fact the author also went through the storm as a small child helped with telling the story. I think a modern historian could do as good of a job if not better with facts and figures but the feeling of being there and being effected would not be the sa ...more
Jerry Smith
Jul 09, 2013 Jerry Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: disasters, 2013-read
Short read chronicling the huge tornado that killed so many in 1925. Told through the eyes of those that were there via testimonies from the time, but also set in context with an explanation of the weather phenomenon that spawned it and kept at a level that does both a good job of explanation as well as being very readable and the accounts personal.

Not as riveting as some of the more recent accounts of disasters due to the length of time that has passed, but nonetheless a very interesting read -
Alyson
Aug 03, 2011 Alyson rated it really liked it
Awesome book and fast read. His stories are amazing!
Patti
Dec 02, 2013 Patti rated it really liked it
Enjoyed these accounts of that devastating tornado
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Marita
Marita marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Jessica Hilton
Jessica Hilton marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Andrika
Andrika rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Kayden Lord
Kayden Lord marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Bryan Ericson
Bryan Ericson rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Eric Williams
Eric Williams rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Jimmy
Jimmy rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Dale
Dale rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Melissa Cecchini
Melissa Cecchini marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Salman Alabdurhman
Salman Alabdurhman marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Kara Barrera
Kara Barrera marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Joshua Vahary
Joshua Vahary rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2014